• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox Q&A and Help Thread

KillaBandit

Smash Cadet
how do i change what stage a custom stage replaces? like most replace wi-fi training, but i wanna get rid of hanebow. how do i do it?

Bero

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. I tried to edit kirby's hammer animation and used in the game. But nothing was changed... How can I make him use custom hammer animation?

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
how do i change what stage a custom stage replaces? like most replace wi-fi training, but i wanna get rid of hanebow. how do i do it?
Not a good idea

I have a question. I tried to edit kirby's hammer animation and used in the game. But nothing was changed... How can I make him use custom hammer animation?
Did you save it in his folder under fighter?

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
okay so my game randomly freezes after a match ends. I have the latest Brawl + GCT (near gold)d and all that stuff, and also textures for everyone except game and watch. what could be causing the freezing?

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
okay so my game randomly freezes after a match ends. I have the latest Brawl + GCT (near gold)d and all that stuff, and also textures for everyone except game and watch. what could be causing the freezing?
Happens to me sometimes but is it every time you go to the results screen or just once in a blue moon?

I got a question for color animations how is it named i can't seem to figure that out
*cough*

Bero

Smash Journeyman
Did you save it in his folder under fighter?
Thank you for answering my question. I put FitkirbyMotionEtc.pac in his folder and used File Patch Code 3.5.1(NTSC-J). I didn't write yesterday, but I replaced hammer with parasol. And my animation was edited for parasol(if I did it properly, it would gradually open). Is it OK?

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Thank you for answering my question. I put FitkirbyMotionEtc.pac in his folder and used File Patch Code 3.5.1(NTSC-J). I didn't write yesterday, but I replaced hammer with parasol. And my animation was edited for parasol(if I did it properly, it would gradually open). Is it OK?
it should try work if not let me know

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Does anyone have a tutorial on how to fix the issue where if Lyn is using anyone else's animations, the animations distort in a weird way? Like, her right arm goes over her head. It's really strange.

Nagito Izanagi

Smash Rookie
I have a question, how do you make Isaac's scarf move as if the wind is blowing it. And can you tell me how to prevent it from staying straight when Isaac does any moves and his jumps? Please tell me how to do this, I'm trying to help a friend with finishing Isaac from Golden Sun.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Does anyone have a tutorial on how to fix the issue where if Lyn is using anyone else's animations, the animations distort in a weird way? Like, her right arm goes over her head. It's really strange.
This might help not sure though

I have a question, how do you make Isaac's scarf move as if the wind is blowing it. And can you tell me how to prevent it from staying straight when Isaac does any moves and his jumps? Please tell me how to do this, I'm trying to help a friend with finishing Isaac from Golden Sun.
If he doesn't have a bone for his scarf then i don't think it's possible

Nagito Izanagi

Smash Rookie
I'll go check with my friend to see. If Isaac does have a bone for his scarf. I'll ask again, if not then I'll have to ask a different question.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
I have a question about stage models: assuming we can import models for stages (not characters), what are the limitations to the amount of polygons? I really want to make a nice-looking stage remake, but I don't want to accidentally make it too detailed.

*edit* I'm not looking for "it can't be done" responses. I know it can't be done yet. I want to know what to expect once it can be done, assuming anyone knows.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
I have a question about stage models: assuming we can import models for stages (not characters), what are the limitations to the amount of polygons? I really want to make a nice-looking stage remake, but I don't want to accidentally make it too detailed.

*edit* I'm not looking for "it can't be done" responses. I know it can't be done yet. I want to know what to expect once it can be done, assuming anyone knows.
I don't think there's a limit to polygons so feel free to put as man as you need

Is it possible to replace Toon Link's sword with his wand?
not sure just because i haven't looked at his model but if the sword isn't part of his main model then yes it would be possible

Bero

Smash Journeyman
@Mr.Chuy
I made parasol animation again and it worked!
Thank you.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Okay, today I go to school and attempt to replace textures. It gives me a "Could not find specified file" error, yet, when here at home and I attempt to do it on my mother's company laptop, it works just fine. Why is this? cause this is starting to annoy me, and none of the edits are working. Then it creates a second version that is even bigger than the first one which has "._" in front of it, and even that doesn't work.

I am getting frustrated because I don't know what is wrong, or what to do about it.

Note, all the textures and the edited textures are in the same file as the character they go to, and that character's file is on my flash drive, which Brawlbox inhabits. Why is it not working?

Nagito Izanagi

Smash Rookie
Hmmm, I see. Can you give me tips on making the scarf flow with the wind? After that I'll just figure out some stuff on my own.

Oh yeah, I have one last question, anyone can answer it, but I need to know. Is it possible to give an alloy character Special Attacks and a Final Smash. Because since me and my friend are trying to make Isaac, I was wondering if it was possible.

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I think it's time I ask a question that's been bugging me for a while. Forgive me if this has been answered, but I don't even know what search terms to put. :)

I'm trying to edit Marth. What I've done so far is to replace all the parts of his .pcs file with relevant files from Ike. In essence, the Marth model is replaced by the Ike model.

Okay, fine so far. Unfortunately, Ike's model doesn't fully cooperate with Marth's moveset. His sword is in a backhand grip, which looks cool if you're a rampaging Jedi in The Force Unleashed games, but I don't want that. I'm trying to get Mike (Marth + Ike) to hold the sword like Marth, but I do NOT want to touch any motion files, just the models.

Here's a picture for comparison:

So the question is: how can I edit the model (not the motion file) so that Mike will hold the sword properly?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Your only chance is to move Ike's sword polygon(s) to a new bone that holds it properly and in the right place. If no such bone exists, you'll have to change the Motion file or find another way I don't know of.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I'm wondering if anyone knows how to tinker Pokemon Trainer's location on a stage? I've tried messing with the PokeTrainer0E and PokeTrainer0N Translation coordinates but to no avail. I've even tried importing PokeTrainer model data from other stages to see if it affects anything...but it doesn't seem to.

Really I'm just looking to move him further away from the screen (Z-axis modification I guess). =/

janfeae

Smash Apprentice
How do you make a 2d stage? I want to make the megaman zero train(I saw the warioland train and it gave me an idea lol)

Edit: also, how can you animate? I have experience in animating things that have to do with 2d sprites and such, and mewtwo2000's beloved, what is love stage features animation; but I'd be fine with 2d stage hacking.

Zezima0123

Smash Apprentice
Could somebody help me regarding brawl stages.

1. When I download them, they are PAC files, what do I do with these?
2. How do I know how to access it (on brawl)?

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
How do you make a 2d stage? I want to make the megaman zero train(I saw the warioland train and it gave me an idea lol)

Edit: also, how can you animate? I have experience in animating things that have to do with 2d sprites and such, and mewtwo2000's beloved, what is love stage features animation; but I'd be fine with 2d stage hacking.
read this:
Basic 2D Level Making Tutorial:

First download my 2D Hyrule Temple stage Here.

Textures:

First of all, the height and width of your image your using needs to be a number that's the power of 2. What I mean, is a number like 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, etc...

Second of all, your image needs to be CI8 (or CI4?) format. For your palette, if you want your images to be transparent, choose RGB5A3, otherwise use RGB565. I don't think the number of colors matter, so just pick the lowest amount of colors where your image still looks good (saves space the lower it is). I'm not sure if MIP levels effect anything, but if it's not working try setting it to 1.

EDIT: I forgot to note that transparency can only either be on, or off, no in-between. I mean, you can set it, but brawl will automatically either turn it on or off. I also forgot to say, the height and width of your image do NOT have to be the same, you can have a texture of 32x256 if you want and it should work in the game.

Models and Collision:

When your making your collision data, If you've changed the stage/background position in it's animation, remember that you need to have the exact same data in it's non-animation state (you can change this when your already in an animation by going to frame 0), otherwise, it won't show the same in the collision editor.

EDIT: Also, when moving or scaling bones, I think you can use any bone you want (except I've learned you should probably stay away from the TopN and Soldier bones when scaling), but the scaling factor on TransN is special. The values I put in make both models almost exactly the same size, so changing that will make the images sizes different. Although if you just have a basic cloud background or something, feel free to change these. You only need to keep them the same if you need something from the background to be directly under an object from the foreground.
Also for animations for 2d stages download mewtwo's mario villains stage it's alot easier to see it than explain how it works

Could somebody help me regarding brawl stages.

1. When I download them, they are PAC files, what do I do with these?
2. How do I know how to access it (on brawl)?
Make a folder under pf called stage inside that make another called melee and put the files there

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to tinker Pokemon Trainer's location on a stage? I've tried messing with the PokeTrainer0E and PokeTrainer0N Translation coordinates but to no avail. I've even tried importing PokeTrainer model data from other stages to see if it affects anything...but it doesn't seem to.

Really I'm just looking to move him further away from the screen (Z-axis modification I guess). =/
edit the middle of the trainer position thing it should work i've done it before

geoffparker88

Smash Rookie
How do I make a texture shiny?

Hey everyone, I've got a question.

I've seen textures around the web that have a cool shine effect. An example would be the following pictures:

My question is, how do I achieve that effect? Let's say I wanted to make a Link that's totally black, but has a shine to it... how would I do that?

I started investigating for myself, and what I found (by looking at the shiny mario space texture, the one in the third picture) was that there are two extra texture files in the Textures(NW4R) folder, called edge and edge2. They look like this:

edge

edge2

These same names appear in

ModelData[0] > 3DModels(NW4R) > FitMarioDark (the texture's name) > Textures 1.

So, again, how do I replicate what the creator of this texture has done by adding two additional textures to a character texture?

Hope my question makes sense! Thanks for the help in advance!

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
...He didn't add two textures to the other one. He used the ACTUAL Emerald texture silly. XD;

You can just rename FitMarioDark to FitMario00 and any other outfit too. :3

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I set the scarfless Falcon vertex hack .pac to costume 00 (default), but in-game, the scarf is still there. Am I supposed to do something to remove it in-game?
I believe you would need the .pcs too.

geoffparker88

Smash Rookie
...He didn't add two textures to the other one. He used the ACTUAL Emerald texture silly. XD;

You can just rename FitMarioDark to FitMario00 and any other outfit too. :3
What is this emerald that you speak of? It looks to me like two things are added... with the default Mario texture, FitMario00, there are the following textures:

FitMario_BodyA
FitMario_BodyB
FitMario_EyeDmg
FitMario_EyeIris
FitMario_EyeIrisYellow
FitMario_EyeLower
FitMario_EyeUpper
FitMario_EyeWhite
FitMario_Kage

And with FitMarioDark, there are all of those 9 parts that I just listed, plus edge and edge2.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
FitMarioDark textures ARE Mario's emerald textures. They are called emerald...since you know...they look emerald in SSE, but as you know they are the dark incarnations of the Smash characters as well (hence the filename).

janfeae

Smash Apprentice
thanks mr chuy :).

EDIT: um, the links broken, and I'm still don't know how to get started. Do I load the sprite images into brawlbox?

hypeman

Smash Apprentice
I'm a snake, marth, and zelda in training.
I'm having a problem I am trying to import jill from umbrella chronicles I'm watching all of wacka vids but when using the auto hexor it doesn't work. Also to mention it seems the files from umbrella chronicles are really different than the ones used in his vid.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
I'm having a problem I am trying to import jill from umbrella chronicles I'm watching all of wacka vids but when using the auto hexor it doesn't work. Also to mention it seems the files from umbrella chronicles are really different than the ones used in his vid.
this would be best asked in the mdl0 thread since the people there know how to fix the problem

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Requesting help with animation problems + other Brawl Box Questions.

@Animation Problems

Recently, I have been playing around with Falco, making new animations with him from scratch. This is actually for a PSA project I want to do, but I won't make it official until I have a majority of the animations done. The problems I am having involve how the bones move when transitioning between key frames. Sometimes, when I am animating, I end up with body parts doing a whole host of things they shouldn't do. These include rotating hundreds of degrees on a certain axis when it shouldn't, and increasing and decreasing dramatically in transition from key frame to key frame. It is making animating very hard, and I need to figure out how to keep it from happening so it won't practically halt the animating process. Has anyone else had this problem?

@Other Questions

My other questions for Brawlbox are the following. I would like detailed answers, and not one sentence tide-overs.

-How is polygon swapping done? I was curious, as I would like to use it for another PSA later on (Hint Hint: Storm E____ from M___ M__ X).

-How do you get polygon-swapped item textures to work, by this, I mean how do you get the textures of the polygon you swapped to work in it's new placement?

-Will polygon swapped 'gons be rigged to the bones, and be able to work, or will they have major problems?​

_Vuze_

Smash Apprentice
Hi,
is it possible to extract a whole bone structure (like TransN and all of the children)?
greets

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Hey, this question may sound silly, but... Is it possible to do semi-transparency on stage textures? If so, could someone please explain how? Thanks.

Top Bottom