• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox Q&A and Help Thread

fireking220

Smash Rookie
Back with another problem, In game when Deoxys walks and right when he transitions between walk to walkbrake, he does a little jump in which his hip bone raises him up but the animation look just fine in brawlbox. All of the walks r at the right lvl and the topN is set to zero for all of them, help?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I can't preview anything in BrawlBox (right-clikc->Preview) like MLD0's. I wanna stage hack, so I need to preview the MLD0's, but nothing shows up when I press preview. This happens for animations as well. Am I missing something? I have BrawlBox and the .net framework required to run it...any help is appreciated in advance
Also, sorry if this question's been asked a thousand times before

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
I can't preview anything in BrawlBox (right-clikc->Preview) like MLD0's. I wanna stage hack, so I need to preview the MLD0's, but nothing shows up when I press preview. This happens for animations as well. Am I missing something? I have BrawlBox and the .net framework required to run it...any help is appreciated in advance
Also, sorry if this question's been asked a thousand times before
Try zooming out and make sure ll the polygons are checked

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
How do I make charcter body textures transparent in Brawlbox and In-Game, rather than black? I need to do this with Link, cause his black Sub-Tanks on the Zero Texture are bothering me. Also so I can make them transparent for future hacks, such as Lucario as Hong Kong Phooey (Anyone know how to get rid of his ears without causing a mess?)

seanachaidh

Smash Rookie
Hello, What are CSP and CMP files, also, what are and how do I use .tga files? I couldn't find a single thread or post on any of these questions, please help.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
How do I make charcter body textures transparent in Brawlbox and In-Game, rather than black? I need to do this with Link, cause his black Sub-Tanks on the Zero Texture are bothering me. Also so I can make them transparent for future hacks, such as Lucario as Hong Kong Phooey (Anyone know how to get rid of his ears without causing a mess?)
Only certain body parts allow themselves to be textured transparently. Typically this includes hair, capes, and the entirety of Ganondorf (for some reason). Unfortunately I don't think his sub-tanks are included among the transparent-able textures...

@sean: not sure about CMP, but to my knowledge CSP commonly refers to "character select portraits".

I bet Paint.Net could open a .tga, but I'm just guessing. .tga means targa, and is a type of image file.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Ok, every time I preview a stage MLD0, it just comes up as a black screen. Is there a way to fix it? I have everything checked, polygons and all...just wanna do a stage hack, any help is appreciated...

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Ok, every time I preview a stage MLD0, it just comes up as a black screen. Is there a way to fix it? I have everything checked, polygons and all...just wanna do a stage hack, any help is appreciated...
what type of computer are you using brawlbox on and what version are you using?

seanachaidh

Smash Rookie
Only certain body parts allow themselves to be textured transparently. Typically this includes hair, capes, and the entirety of Ganondorf (for some reason). Unfortunately I don't think his sub-tanks are included among the transparent-able textures...

@sean: not sure about CMP, but to my knowledge CSP commonly refers to "character select portraits".

I bet Paint.Net could open a .tga, but I'm just guessing. .tga means targa, and is a type of image file.
Actually, I'm able to open the .tga files in Photoshop, what I meant was how do I apply .tga files in Brawl, one .tga file I have is a character portrait, would I have to convert it to anything?

seanachaidh

Smash Rookie
One other Question. Do I have to name the fighter .pcs and .pac files exactly (i.e. Fitzelda03.pcs) or can I put some sort of indicator as to which texture it is (i.e. FitzeldaMidna03.pcs)? I've already deleted one texture on accident because I wasn't sure what it was.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
One other Question. Do I have to name the fighter .pcs and .pac files exactly (i.e. Fitzelda03.pcs) or can I put some sort of indicator as to which texture it is (i.e. FitzeldaMidna03.pcs)? I've already deleted one texture on accident because I wasn't sure what it was.
name it fitcharacterXX basically

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
I was wondering, how would I vertice edit lucario's face? I've looked through brawlbox and can't find a polygon that contains it. Have I missed a polygon (which I doubt I have, I clicked through all of them in the model previewer), or was this just an accidental oversight when making the brawlbox polygon sections for lucario?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
It has to be fitcharacter**.pcs/fitcharacter**.pac to work in-game. I'd suggest saving with the texture indicator on your CPU, then putting it on your SD, deleting the indicator (in this case, Midna)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Ok, I'll try explaining this problem as best as I can. Mewtwo_2000 helped me a ton with it, but I didn't get all my problems fixed.
How can I rotate the stage (I mean turning it literally like a wheel, not tilted up or down) so that the collision is fixated over a different position of the stage model? I have the Static bone that Mewtwo_2000 added, but even though the collisions show up in the right place in BrawlBox, it still acts in-game as if it wasn't rotated at all.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Ok, I'll try explaining this problem as best as I can. Mewtwo_2000 helped me a ton with it, but I didn't get all my problems fixed.
How can I rotate the stage (I mean turning it literally like a wheel, not tilted up or down) so that the collision is fixated over a different position of the stage model? I have the Static bone that Mewtwo_2000 added, but even though the collisions show up in the right place in BrawlBox, it still acts in-game as if it wasn't rotated at all.
make a animation and make it 1 frame then rotate it

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Ohh yeah, that was how you do rotations and such. That should do it.

My only other problem is that the textures are appearing in a shade of dark blue even though the proper textures are there.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Ohh yeah, that was how you do rotations and such. That should do it.

My only other problem is that the textures are appearing in a shade of dark blue even though the proper textures are there.
what scene data are you using if you're using the one from shadow moses island that's what is causing it

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
StgFinal, would that share a similar effect and, if so, what should I (and how) change it to? (I'm going to guess just import the bres containing more appropriate light)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Rotation worked and the lighting is a little better. It's still not 100% though. I may ask what FairKnight does for lighting on the ToS2 stages.

Thanks

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Has anyone looked into editing the stage moving animations on stages such as the Mushoomy Kingdom? I have extensively tested editing the animation X_move on Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1, and no matter how I slice it, changing the scrolling speed seems to result in bizarre backward movements and teleports partway through the stage. No one in the WBR seemed interested a while back when I looked into it, but this sort of thing could be useful to anyone looking to work with stage movement in general. I'll just put the quotes showing my research, and maybe someone here knows something. I don't know if my problems are caused by bugs in Brawlbox or bizarre interactions with the stage's "script" or whatever.

I just was changing the upper death boundary, but what Dantarion is saying about just changing animations is interesting itself. Unfortunately, I have very little experience with this sort of thing; just looking at Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 in BrawlBox isn't making too much clear to me. I am seeing some stuff...

I'm pretty sure the animation for the stage moving is StgMarioPast00_Ashiba_locator which is 7200 frames long. In this animation, two bones (the promising X_move and the more mysterious haikei_locator) increment their translation X values each frame for most of the animation, growing more negative as time goes on (and they always have the same value on any given frame). Frames 1, 3449, 4649, 5845, and 7041 all have their translation X values highlighted in yellow in the "advanced model editor"; I think that makes them keyframes. I actually think I might have this figured out; I'm going to try cutting the translation X values of all of these in half. Here are the appropriate values per keyframe:

1: 0
3449: -846.6755
4649: -1141.342
5845: -1435.027
7041: -1728.711

I actually just tried that in-game. The result was that it mostly scrolled at half speed (though things like the background moved at normal speed, making it actually a better version than the slowdown method), but at a few places the stage jumps in very undesirable ways. A better approach might be doubling the length of the animation and doubling the spacing of the keyframes. I don't know if the game will barf on a 14400 frame animation, but we'll have to find out, right? This puts the keyframes at 1 (by executive decision not to double), 6898, 9298, 11690, and 14082.

The result was that one undesirable jump still happened, and then where the second one used to happen the looping seemed all but broken. It took an exceedingly long time (several minutes) to loop, which it did via warping.

So, I feel like I'm really close here, but I don't quite have it. I think this sort of thing could be pretty useful if only we could work out these... quirks. Hopefully this chronicle of what I was doing will prove useful to someone inspired to look at stuff further.
I tried using the newer version of Brawlbox; it produces new but still bad behavior. It still does the warp out into the void at the exact same spot, but now after a little bit it starts scrolling backward for a bit (!!!) and then scrolls forward very fast back to the start. There is something I'm missing here, and I really just see nothing in this .pac file which seems like it could be relevant. As per the specific animation and its assorted bones...

X_Move is definitely what controls the scrolling of the foreground. Editing it seems to cause the jumping issues.

haikei_locator controls the scrolling of the background. It still animates at full speed if given slower values (most obvious when observing the sand blowing effect); it just scrolls more slowly (for nice looking play, it should be exactly the same as X_Move).

The four Ashiba bones are all subsidiary to X_Move, have strange values for their keyframes (as far as I can tell, they're all around either 0 or 7200), and editing them has little discernible effect on the game. To be clear, the ones without numbers (both A and B) have a keyframe at 1, remain at 0 for nearly the entire animation, and then the rest of their keyframes starting at 7180. The ones with the number 2 (both of them) have all their keyframes in the 1-22 range and then remain at the same value for the entire rest of the duration of the animation. Does anyone have any clue what these are for?

I'm going to do one more test...

The jump appears to happen about 87 seconds in with half scrolling speed which puts it between frame 5220 and 5280 which are NOT among the relevant keyframes I have found.

Really, I'm just stumped. The only other animation on the entire stage seems to do very little other than define where random things like the flagpole are (a few things labeled as joints spin with a fairly brief period, but I'm not sure what they are supposed to be, probably pieces of sand or something silly). There's something else going on here, and it's a shame I can't figure it out since other than these jumping issues this is a much better alternative to the current model of slowdown.

I also just double posted.
I tried doing things like removing keyframes and putting double keyframes in a row to force linear progression, but nothing good came from it, and I started getting bizarre behavior with the blocks. I am just so stumped on working with this stage and this animation; I really hope some expert on animation editing happens across this and can figure it out. On top of the obvious utility for Bbrawl, SSE stages that moved like Mushroomy Kingdom and Rainbow Cruise could be really cool!

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Is there any way to give stages animations? Such as the TOS2 Dreamland stage, I want to animate the jewels in the background but I'm sort of new when it comes to animating stages and such.

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to remove Captain Falcon's scarf on the Melee texture hack. I have downloaded the scarfless vertex hack; how do I combine it with the texture hack?

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Is there any way to give stages animations? Such as the TOS2 Dreamland stage, I want to animate the jewels in the background but I'm sort of new when it comes to animating stages and such.
Animate it like any other animation just know what you're doing

I'd like to remove Captain Falcon's scarf on the Melee texture hack. I have downloaded the scarfless vertex hack; how do I combine it with the texture hack?
replace the model in the texture hack

I was thinking of asking how I take Capt.Falcon's scarf and put it on Peach?
polygon swapping but i have no idea how to do it though

@Amazing Ampharos Tinker with the .rel file maybe that's why it's acting weird

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
Model Data [0] or Model Data [10]? I'm assuming 0 since that's the one which lists Vertices, but I'd like to be sure.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
*casual whistles* answer please, Mr. Chuy? 0.63d BrawlBox and Vista

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
I set the scarfless Falcon vertex hack .pac to costume 00 (default), but in-game, the scarf is still there. Am I supposed to do something to remove it in-game?

Top Bottom