• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl to Melee transition advice needed!

I have played Melee in the past, at an uncompetitive level, now I play Brawl more seriously. I need to know how to play Melee in a nutshell (as opposed to Brawl) to beat some folks who keep implying that Brawl in fact takes no skill and that Brawl players cant win in regular Melee the "skill" version. Any advice on transitioning from Brawl to melee mindset/abilities?

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
Offstage is a danger zone, stay out of it at all costs.

Play offensively, because combos exist.

It's fast.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
=]

Go to training mode and learn combos with your character. Then vs. lvl 3-5 CPU's to understand how to combo and gimp a moving opponent.
Then learn advanced techs like wavedashing and L-cancelling.
Then play humans and train yourself to react quickly and you'll be good in no time.

How do shield compare through the games? How do you punish going offstage comparatively? Is there any CG's or types of infinites as in Brawl? Any 0-death combos?

Wuss

Smash Champion
uh, besides this being dumb, you should just play melee. Get used the the way the physics engine works, and figure out how your character has advantages over others. also, don't listen to bad advice given by random smashboards people (lol), but seriously, when guy said stay from offstage, that may be true for noobs, but off stage edge guarding is quite powerful in melee, it's just not the only option as it is in brawl. so yea, get used to melee, and it's awesomeness, and then, prove your friends right, cause brawl sucks and takes no skill...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
This in no way is meant to bring a B vs. M debate, but i'll just say Melee's physics are much more intense and better than Brawl's, practice your combos, as for edgegurading it's alot better than in Brawl as it gives you more strategy, all in all Melee's physics are hard to master but easy to learn, just play it long enough and you should do fine in no time.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
The simple answer, no.

The more complicated answer, someone else will have to come up with. Even the mindgames are different from Brawl and Melee.

themrskills

Smash Apprentice
Brawl and Melee just happen to both begin with the words "Super Smash Bros". They are actually completely unrelated, not at all similar games. Their names are just coincidentally similar. Melee is better.

cemo

white walker
Take Ice Climbers and do grab infinites?

After you choose a character watch the advanced how to play and get some of the basic stuff down. After that you'll need to play against real players, to get a feel for how the game is actually played.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Yea I played melee today and I sucked at it lol because I've never played Melee until after brawl. I got my butt comboed like a ragdoll by the computer lol.

Its wayyyy different that Brawl man. The physics are just too different.

TheAceOfSmash

Smash Apprentice
You could try practicing combo's on a lvl 1 cpu. Playing Brawl does make you better at catching items and powershielding, that's pretty much the only areas where you'll get a little boost. You have to put it in your head that Melee and Brawl are totally and completely different games (whether that's true or not). That's a good first step for getting rid of bad habits, and using them in the wrong game, like Brawl-style air dodging in Melee, and Melee-style edgehogging in Brawl.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
Forget about everything you learned in Brawl.

You're going to want to re-learn your character.
Get used to the way they feel, move, jump, etc.

Go in the Melee boards and look up the how to play videos and guides.
Learn how to dash dance, and what dash dancing actually is. Practice L canceling mostly. Learn how to short hop fast fall lcancel (SHFFL) all of your characters aerials.
Learn how to wavedash and waveland.

Do all of this in training mode.
Then, play a level 4 computer (best DI and easy to beat) and mess around with your SHFFLed aerials. Be creative with wavedashing and wavelanding on platforms and on the stage edges.

Watch videos.

Repeat regularly; but not in huge, drastic amounts. Half an hour of practice, once every two or three hours a day is a good way to do it.

-Nox`

Aznpkilla

Smash Cadet
Raining ATs on him already? Lol.

Well he's already played melee, so I guess the only direction is up. I guess the first AT you should try is short hopping. It's pretty useful for pulling out an aerial really fast and chaining it with a lot of other attacks. I think in melee, the attacks flow into one another a lot better, so attack without relenting! (But be smart, of course. ;D )

I guess after that you should try L cancelling. It takes a while to get used to, and learning the timing on your character can be difficult. Combining short hopping and L cancelling is a lot more important melee's game in comparison to other things you might try to be learning at the moment if you try to learn everything.

But most importantly, take it slow. You won't master melee and play it like a pro in a day, week, or a month. You'll need to practice a lot, but you've got seven years of developed metagame behind you and an entire board. Good luck. :p

Tamoo

Smash Master
oh man, i just played melee again 4 the 1st time in ages, cant believe the differences. There are no useful transferrable skills except for short hop and fast fall. Also, a general rule is tht if a character is bad in brawl, it will be good in melee and vice verca (except falco and marth)

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Use Jigglypuff in melee; she plays the most like a brawl character out of the viable cast. Seriously, if you play melee like you play brawl, you'll do 10000x better with Jigglypuff than with all the other useful characters. Basically just use tons of forward aerial, back aerial, and pound; it's enough to beat poor opponents. Dash attack, your throws, fsmash, uair, and Rest are good moves too. Don't bother with learning any of the advanced techniques if you aren't actually going to play melee seriously so much as you just want to beat a few guys at it. Those things won't help you in brawl, and Jigglypuff is just fine without them anyway (one of the main reasons I strongly suggest her in fact; you're pretty screwed trying to pick up someone like melee Fox with a brawl style).

Once you beat them at melee, you can go back to your regularly scheduled beating them at brawl. I get the vibe they are probably not very good at any smash game and are just using melee as an excuse for being worse than you. It would be great to take advantage of the situation and prove who the better smasher all around is (just hope you win lest you find yourself with your foot in your mouth!).

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
It's like going back to XP from Vista. o_0
More true than you can imagine; Vista is vastly inferiour to XP in all that matters.

OT: Play the game. Dont practice the fancy stuff, get used to the new engine first.
Not that much to say about it, really.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=60218&highlight=Guide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM&feature=related

Keep in mind that while shielding is still good in melee, it pales in comparison to brawl's broken shielding system.

Dashing is amazing in melee.

Hitstun actually exists in melee.

You can only airdodge once, and you're immobile afterwards. (no more breaking out of combos with airdoging)

And grabbing people in melee is much harder than brawl, so with the exception of characters with massive grab range (Marth, Shiek, ect) or rediculous speed (Fox, Falcon, ect.) you won't see them that often (or rather, most characters will not focus on them).

That being said, grabs are amazing in melee since you can combo from them or chaingrab people (or just put people in bad positions, since it's much harder to get out of them in melee).

Top Bottom