• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

& Brawl+: The Montréal Weekly Poutine Thread...With More Sauce!

Frr

Smash Rookie
Nope.

I'm a Francis that works at Gameloft and my last name starts with a V.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Small attendance, but I got my Brawl on in both Singles and Doubles, so it was pretty fun!

Also FU Fizzi for picking a character that chain grabs both characters I wanted to practice :C Well at least I got to practice my swallocide escape XD

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
nice weeklies despite the small attendance, I enjoyed the pokemon matches and peach dittos with bento :)

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Small attendance, but I got my Brawl on in both Singles and Doubles, so it was pretty fun!

Also FU Fizzi for picking a character that chain grabs both characters I wanted to practice :C Well at least I got to practice my swallocide escape XD
Eh. ROB vs D3 is fairly even I think. DK vs D3 is just stupid >.<

DarkISDA

Smash Lord

Eh. ROB vs D3 is fairly even I think. DK vs D3 is just stupid >.<
DK? Ago, you went back to DK? ;o What about G&W?

Agora

Smash Journeyman
DK? Ago, you went back to DK? ;o What about G&W?
My G&W is going nowhere fast. I'm still at it, but I wanted to concentrate on DK and ROB yesterday.

ROB's pretty much my only viable tournament character, and will surely be for the rest of my Brawl career : P

kr3wman

Smash Master
I wanna trip people with Falcon's Dtilt and then go in my corner to cry before they **** my ****ty hitboxes again.

EDIT : Wow they actually removed that change.

Now Falcon isn't helpless after hitting with SideB in the Air, and all his moves deal more damage and/or more knockback.

What's the point? Falcon is still gonna be garbage what the **** were they thinking.

BentoBox

Smash Master
To step back a moment, we should explain. Balanced Brawl is a modification of Brawl that seeks to improve the game in several key ways. The foundation of this project is that Brawl is a fun game that we enjoy playing. As such, we will deliberately not change any core elements that make Brawl... Brawl. This includes:

-No changes to physics
-No changes to character movement
-No changes to hitbox size
-Very few changes to timing (attack startup or ending)[...]
Considering these constraints, what else could they possibly do to make CF more viable? If you have ideas go share them.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Considering these constraints, what else could they possibly do to make CF more viable? If you have ideas go share them.
They should have called it 'Brawl with dumb changes' instead of Balanced Brawl. You won't be making any balancing without changing frames and hitboxes.

BentoBox

Smash Master
How are the changes dumb if the feedback they've received from experienced players who've actually Played is positive? Clearly, they are doing something right; they have proven that without changing frames and hitboxes they are indeed capable of producing a product of overall greater quality. It is certainly a minimalistic approach but it is also much safer and overall less prone to oversights than the route B+ has taken. The point of BB wasn't to make CF top tier, anyways.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
The problem I see with this is that... Brawl+ made brawl fun. Balanced Brawl will make brawl...... brawl. Anyways I'll reserve my judgment until I actually play it.

I'm not sure if I'll come to the weekly tomorrow or not though. I really don't wanna be spending $7/week to play for a few hours at a venue that really doesn't do much for us. (Plus my classes on Wednesdays theoretically end at like 7:30)

kr3wman

Smash Master
How are the changes dumb if the feedback they've received from experienced players who've actually Played is positive? Clearly, they are doing something right; they have proven that without changing frames and hitboxes they are indeed capable of producing a product of overall greater quality. It is certainly a minimalistic approach but it is also much safer and overall less prone to oversights than the route B+ has taken. The point of BB wasn't to make CF top tier, anyways.
BB won't change anything even if.

What's the point? It won't be less enjoyable and it won't be more enjoyable. More damage and more knockback on bad characters and less damage and less knockback on good ones won't change anything and the tier list for BB might as well be a copy+paste of the normal brawl one.

There's no point.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Both BB and B+ were initially designed because of vB's obvious flaws. They have simply taken different paths. Changing knockback, angles of trajectory and damage has already proven to work in several instances. D3 obviously lost a bit seeing as he cannot infinite/CG a part of the cast; Snake has had his tilts weakened which makes his zoning capabilities less of a hurdle, his d-smash was also buffed to encourage terrain control; Peach has had the knockback on her f-throw increased which now makes it a potent killing option; Samus had the knockback and damage increased on all of her projectiles and most of her moves in general; MK's tornado now sends you at a much different angle thus making it much less spammable... I don't really need to draw you a picture to make you realize how, while subtle, these changes do have a substantial impact on the game. I can tell you haven't read much, if anything, in the thread and are clearly just bashing for the sake of doing so. No, the tier list isn't quite the same and everything related to that is already being discussed in the thread.

Regarding the fact that it doesn't make Brawl more enjoyable, it does make it more enjoyable if Brawl's metagame degeneration is what made you flee away. It will not appeal to you if you simply do not enjoy playing vB as is. And it's not meant to either. I just think that BB is much more likely to make it out as a competitive standard than B+.

Brawl+ is fun indeed, but still stupid. It doesn't seem like the minds behind B+ are trying to make it a more balanced iteration but are rather focusing on the "fast paced", which was a lacking component of vB. You look at a B+ game and while certainly flashy, you realize that most of the combos performed are just handed to you. Practically nothing requires reading except for techs. While they did increase the hit stun, they've failed to consider the fact that the floaty and slow nature of Brawl allows for too much leniency already. Of course, tech skill is also obviously lacking; it basically allows for melee-ish combo with 3 times the window of opportunity to perform it. I find that stupid. B+ isn't more competitive than vB is. It's just as ********, in different aspects.

But yeah, it's fun.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Both BB and B+ were initially designed because of vB's obvious flaws. They have simply taken different paths. Changing knockback, angles of trajectory and damage has already proven to work in several instances. D3 obviously lost a bit seeing as he cannot infinite/CG a part of the cast; Snake has had his tilts weakened which makes his zoning capabilities less of a hurdle, his d-smash was also buffed to encourage terrain control; Peach has had the knockback on her f-throw increased which now makes it a potent killing option; Samus had the knockback and damage increased on all of her projectiles and most of her moves in general; MK's tornado now sends you at a much different angle thus making it much less spammable... I don't really need to draw you a picture to make you realize how, while subtle, these changes do have a substantial impact on the game. I can tell you haven't read much, if anything, in the thread and are clearly just bashing for the sake of doing so. No, the tier list isn't quite the same and everything related to that is already being discussed in the thread.
It won't change anything.

It's not 'subtle but effective' it's 'subtle and pointless'.

Snake's tilts do less damage? Use them one more time.

MK has less knockback? Rack up more damage.

DDD can't chaingrab? He doesn't need it to win the matchups he was good in solely because of it.

Link's arrows/Samus's projectiles have more knockback? Doesn't make them easier to hit with, which is the problem considering how much you hit people with them. 1 charged shot a match maybe? 4-5 super missiles? No normal Missiles?

PKT can change pokemon faster? Too bad all three of them suck balls.

Mid-Low tier characters deal more damage and kill faster? It's too bad they still have no options.

Reducing someone's damage output by 20% doesn't make them 20% worse, and the opposite is also true.

BentoBox

Smash Master
"Use them one more time"

Because its really that easy? What about decay?

Theory crafting vs hands-on experience. How far will the former get us? Play the game and defend your stance afterwards, this is pointless. Tell me, was there any incentive for a Samus to use her missiles at all considering how ****ty of a projectile it was? Samus is actually being considered as a top tier, though nothing is definite at this point.

izawwwwwwwww
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiNu0dqERIQ

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
The point wasn't to make bottom tier characters top tier, but make everyone tourney viable. Of course some chars will still be awesome, but they won't be feared as much when you are i.e. Ganondorf. And it's only the first version. When the metagame of BB will be more advanced, they'll go back to balance it again. I see future in this, as they don't take everyone complaints about the game and make them come true (look at falco's shine).

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
I've never played BBrawl but it sound fun to me, I like playing Brawl mods. Beside it's almost the same thing as the regular one. I would try it one day probably, I know Ottawa is big on that like we are for Brawl+.

Sphyra

Smash Apprentice
Only balance in any fighting games is in the players' ability to pick from the same list of characters. That's all that matters if you're competitive.

Edit: This mostly applies to discussions on last page. Was on wrong page when I did quick reply.

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman
I'll be there

With BRAWL+

inb4texttoolongforaninb4:

I don't think I'll like Balanced Brawl, I'll give it a try.

I<ll probably suck at it and hate it. But I won<t hate it because I suck at it. I'll most likely hate it because it will be too much like Barwrlwrl to me.

I won<t write a huge wall of text about it, because frankly - Who reads text in a debate? don<t we all quote random parts of each other<s text and ramble on and no one ends up changing their mind due to oppinions, pride, etc anyway? Also, I<m on a f*cking AZERTY keyboard and the punctuation is driving me nuts, not to mention I<m too lazy to correct it. So f*ck that.

I mean look at my ****ing apostrophies, for the love of god...

Top Bottom