• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Teminology Renaming Project: What to rename?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Hrrrrm, I mostly agree with leafgreen, but I think polling for name-acceptance would be a terrible idea. Then again, I think when this list of "official names" goes public, it will be the laughing stock of SWF.
True, a poll for something like this might be a little extreme, especially given how some people will very likely not give up the terms they've been using regardless of what happens. I couldn't agree more in that people are going to call things what they want to call them.

Like, back when I played pokemon, I consistently referred to some things as their original japanese translations because I thought the english names were stupid. People knew what I meant (usually), and when they didn't, it didn't take long to explain it. People had already been using these names to refer to things for several months before the release of the 4th gen games (diamond and pearl), and it did take some time for most people to adjust to the english translations.

Basically, we're going to need to realize that regardless of what we appoint as the names, some people will still use what they've been using. We can encourage people to use our terms over the old ones, but it isn't necessarily going to happen. For something like the running/dashing usmash problem, making them both "official" terms will suffice, and it's also more likely that more people would switch over from the "hyphen smash" term to one of these rather than had we only instated one (actually, probably not, but I still think giving people the choice between two equally good terms is the best plan of action). Although I don't know why people like the "hyphen smash" term to begin with >_>

A compendium is going to need to include the old terms as well, regardless of whether the new ones are accepted or not. Sure, they would say "an outdated term meaning blah blah blah, for which the proper term is now <blank>," but they would still need to be included.

Anyway, since we're revisiting the DACUS sitation again, I guess I'll state that I do support leaving the DACUS as the DACUS, but not the DLXHC as the DLXHC. And although DACUS technically encompasses this term as well, a distinguishing term such as DAHCUS would be useful (not so much for conversation irl, though, so perhaps something else would be better). Perhaps something like a "full connect DACUS," or further abbreviated to "FC DACUS" could be used for the DLXHC. Just throwing out ideas, here.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've also seen the DLXHC called the "gatling combo," a term I believe was taken from more traditional fighters for something very similar - canceling one move mid animation into another.

And I completely agree with colin about the DI/AC thing. Honestly, I hadn't even heard the term "air control" until a few months ago due to most smashers calling it DI by habit. Getting people to switch over to "drift" is definitely something that will help clarity immensely in the future.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Something else we should probably officially distinguish between is DI and air control. There is widespread misuse of the term "DI" to refer to air control (or "drifting through the air"), so if we are publishing an official list of terms, it should probably emphasise that DI is not air control.

Scotu's list does have them separate, but it doesn't emphasise that they aren't the same thing, which I think is important since I see a lot of new players confused by this, and adding notes like that will help one of the audiences the list is designed for.

This isn't so much a renaming idea as it is an idea for a note to add to the list.
This this this. I can't stand it when I'm playing with someone and they say "Wario has good DI".

>_<

>_<

>_<.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Is there an official term for it?

I've seen 'air control,' 'aerial control,' 'aerial mobility,' etc...

But yeah...it does get quite annoying when the terms are misused...

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Reviving this thread after getting sick of constantly hearing (and using, due to the lack of a better/quick term) the term "autocancel" refer to "finishing aerials before you reach the ground." This really needs some other name, given that it gets to be very confusing once you start talking about real autocanceling.

I propose something like "Finish(ed/ing) Aerial(s) Before Landing," shortened to FABL (pronounced as "fable").

Opinions?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Because many many characters have aerials that can finish before the ground and constantly saying stuff like "and ganon's dair finishing before he hits the ground can be used for blah blah blah" gets to be repetitive.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i believe the standard way to refer to that is "dair > double jump > blah blah blah" or whatever. You don't really need to specify that it ends before landing. you can just say do the attack, then do whatever else.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Does the distinction between an autocancelled landing vs. an ended-before-landing ever actually matter? I mean, does it cause any harm when ppl mistakingly call it an autocancel?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I simply refer to it as finished.

Used a finished Dair with Ganon, then chain it to . . . etc.

You are FINISHING the attack before you land. Pit's attacks don't auto-cancel, but they finish quickly.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
i think mario can do the same thing with his cape.. toon link also has something similar.. probably a few other chars too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom