• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Teminology Renaming Project: What to rename?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Scotu has begun work on a large list of names and definitions for different things that the community has discovered/named on their own (thread here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=210117 ). I think everyone can agree that there are quite a few terms that need to be renamed because they are either stupid (i.e. wavebouncing) or inaccurate (i.e. infinite second jump recovery). So one of the many purposes of the Smash Lab will be to create a set list of official terminology to use, and we will be renaming things where they require renaming. There will be a seperate thread on accumulating a list of things that likely require renaming, and then a different thread will be made on suggestions for new names of those things.

I'd like to begin this thread for suggestions on which "AT"s or various other things you believe should be renamed (we will suggest new names later). For example, make a list of techniques like this:

- Wavebouncing
- DLX Hit Cancel
- Infinite Second Jump
- Dragonic Reverse

etc.

Refer to Scotu's thread for a listing of many names for ATs (although it may not be wholly comprehensive).

Mmac

Smash Lord
Dragonic Reverse is probably the stupidest name I have heard for a term, especially for one that's primary use isn't Reversing. Dragonic (Wave)sliding might be more accurate and better sounding name for it.

For ISJR, I think just simply Infinite Double Jump would be the best change for it, as simple at it is

Mmac

Smash Lord
Hmmm... Well it IS cancelled out by an attack on landing

It pretty much does have the same properties as a common Melee Wavedash, just implemented differently and more complex to do

Just simply Slide/Sliding then?

MuBa

Smash Lord
Wavebouncing definitely needs to be changed. Whenever I hear that word I picture a kind of wavedash while in some sort of "bouncing" glitch animation which is obviously not the case.

I find the name something similar to "Rebound" more appropriate.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I've heard some people referring to it as "air bouncing," which is similar to wavebouncing, but not nearly as stupid.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
I nominate it be called wavebouncing because of how annoyed with the term SamuraiPanda seemed back then.

Or air bouncing, that's fine too. However, I don't really like "bouncing". Air reversal sounds bad too. :urg:

DLX Hit Cancel...I don't really know, maybe Dash Smash (since it's Dash Attack to Up Smash).

I don't really mind ISJR or SJR.

Dragonic Reverse...I don't know, but I think the Dragonic needs to go away in the renaming.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Dragonic Reverse > Double Jump Land Cancel (DJLC)?

DLX hit cancel is definately going to be Ankoku Blasting.

MikeHAZE already (jokingly) renamed Craq Walking to the "SCOTU Slide" (which i have never used).

Mmac

Smash Lord
Dragonic Reverse > Double Jump Land Cancel (DJLC)?
The only problem is that it's a Yoshi Exclusive Technique and DJLC is a very universal term. It just doesn't fit. Dragonic might be dumb, but it successfully describes it as a Exclusive Technique.

We can come up with a better name, but I just don't want it to be too universal.

I still think (Dragonic) Wavesliding would be a good term for it, and I don't see why it's such a problem. It has the exact same properties as the Wave Techniques in Melee. The only difference is that it's inputed differently.

Mmac

Smash Lord
But you don't cancel to land by just simply Jumping, you cancel by Attacking during the first frame of the Double Jump close to the ground

SCOTU

Smash Hero
and ...?

you're still canceling your double jump by landing, something only yoshi can do, and this is similar to a djc from melee/64, so a similar title is fitting, and this abbreviates nicely.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
To some degree, I agree with Mmac that, being an exclusive technique, a less-general name may be more suitable (albeit less "accurate"). But Dragonic is stupid. There is no way to defend the usage of that word.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yoshi is either a dinosaur or a dragon.
I'm a vampire with rainbow-colored wings.

Perfectly defensible.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Dragon, Reptile, Lizard...all sound stupid as a Yoshi technique. Dragonic Reverse sounds more like a Ken (from SF) move. And can't really call it a "Yoshi Reversal" either which too sounds dumb.

I dunno...Waveslide Reversal? I swear we have a lot of awkward AT names >=/

Kirk

Smash Champion
If your first response to a possible name for a term is "ROFL," chances are its probably not a good thing to name it that...

:o

MuBa

Smash Lord
Yes that is true. I'm sure Steel2nd was being sarcastic about that. Just make it something simple like the "Yoshi Waveslide."

But the Prehistoric Slide is hilarious.

Edit: Other ideas-> Slide Reversal....or Reverse Slide....Turnaround Dash....

SCOTU

Smash Hero
How about we don't call it anything related to "wave" since it has nothing to do with creating horizontal sliding momentum through use of the waveland mechanic (the root of all the well-named "wave" terms).

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
P-slide guys, def.

Anyway, for DLX cancel..

We have DACUS..

Could we make this DABUS?

Dash Attack Buffered Up Smash

Pretty easy to remember imo

Kirk

Smash Champion
The Usmash isn't really buffered though. You are actually canceling the dash attack animation into an Usmash...which would make DACUS more accurate. As for other names to use...that I've no other ideas at the moment.

And I forget...was 'DLX cancel' named after someone named DLX or does it stand for something? I forget. >.>

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
DLX = DarkLinkX, I believe. He said it should be called the DLX Hit Cancel, as a joke, and for some reason it caught on anyway.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
The Usmash isn't really buffered though. You are actually canceling the dash attack animation into an Usmash...which would make DACUS more accurate.
Although it is different from other DACUS techniques, so it wouldn't be good to call it that either. DAHCUS? Dash Attack Hit Cancelled Up Smash?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
We could just call the "DLX Cancel" the DACUS, since "DACUS" is a superfluous term that is being replaced with "Boost Smash"

of course, we already decided that this is called "Ankoku Blasting"

Mmac

Smash Lord
How about we don't call it anything related to "wave" since it has nothing to do with creating horizontal sliding momentum through use of the waveland mechanic (the root of all the well-named "wave" terms).
Um..... that is exactly what it does, Just inputed differently. Instead of Airdodging, it's a Double Jump Attack Cancel exploit close to the ground/platform. It's still identical to it

Does it REALLY matter that it's inputed differently, when the mechanics are almost identical to the Wave techniques of Melee?

Plus Prehistoric Slide sounds dumber

SCOTU

Smash Hero
it's not about input, it's about mechanic. The Waveland mechanic is the basis for all "wave" techniques. why don't we just call dash usmashing JC usmashing because they have a similar effect? they're just input differently. Techniques that derive names should only derive those names off of mechanic.

Mmac

Smash Lord
This is what I was arguing about in the first place! The Mechanics ARE the same! It has the same effects, use, and mechanics as the Wave techniques of Melee, that it gives a momentum boost to the direction you input in a free stance. You can do it on flat ground, out of a dash, on landing, up through platforms and cancelling on them, and on slopes just like the Melee Waves. Hell, even the timing is similar.

There are only 2 differences between the DR and the Wave Techniques. the first one is the Input. Instead of Airdodging near the ground and using that momentum, you are quickly cancelling the Double Jump with an attack during the downwards part of the jump, tricking the games mechanics that you have landed while using the momentum from the jump to propel you forward (or backwards). 2nd is because his DJ turns him around, he always slides headforward. Sliding Back first is impossible. Other than those two points, everything else is extremely similar, or exactly the same

I don't see why you don't think it's deserving of a Wave name other than the fact that it doesn't use directional Airdodging (Which is the input, the thing you said isn't important at all).

Also MuBa, the technique has little to do with reversing. It CAN be used for reversing, but that is not it's primary feature.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wave-anything is using air-dodge momentum. How much momentum do you get from air-dodging into the ground in Brawl?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
an air dodge is NOT an input, it's a mechanic. R is an input. A waveland is a specifically programmed action that's specific to an air dodge in melee. The DJLC has nothing to do with this mechanic. It does not derive its functionality in any way shape or form from a waveland. What it is, is canceling your double jump by landing, and should therefore be called a Double Jump Land Cancel (DJLC)

MuBa

Smash Lord
I seriously think that boost upsmash is fine as a term name. If worse comes worse we can call it a "Sliding Upsmash."

No need to get real fancy with the names. Just make it simple enough that people will understand what it means.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I agree that DACAS is good for what is currently known as the DLX Hit Cancel
I think Boost Smashing is good for the additional sliding boost one gets from performing a Hypen Smash in a certain window after performing a dash attack with some characters.
I think we're all clear on a Hyphen Smash merely referring to the Usmash out of Dash mechanic.

Levitas

the moon
I agree with all three points.

As long as the names aren't ambiguous and are even mildly descriptive, they'll serve their purpose.

Of course we don't want names that merely satisfy mildly descriptive and not-ambiguous.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Hyphen smash > Running Usmash. This really should'nt need a name. Do we need a special name for jumping out of a run? If that's the case i nominate "Levitas Leaping".

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
It is generally a given that you can jump at any time anywhere in Brawl, so long as you have jumps remaining. However, Dashing limits your attack options merely to special moves, options out of jump (aerials), and dash attack. It removes the option to use every grounded attack besides specials and dash attack EXCEPT Usmash. I think this deserves special notice of some sort. Also, most of the time, Smash attacks are considered immobile. Hyphen Smashes are not entirely so. This gives certain application for these moves, and makes it useful to have a term to differientiate it from a regular Usmash.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
A "hyphen smash" is just macroing a JC usmash.
That's what I thought at first, until I realized that this is false because you can still perform a hyphen smash with tap jump off, while you cannot perform other techniques, such as UpB out of shield (OOS) with tap jump off (unless manually jumping with a jump button, which isn't as effective)

Also, you can Hyphen Smash with the C-Stick. Any other direction results in Dash Attack.
(this is one of the reasons I can't play Melee anymore. I try to Hyphen Smash, and forget that I can't use the Cstick to do it without crouch cancelling. Not that Hyphen Smashing is useful in Melee, but it's Brawl habits, and I suck at Melee anyway, lol)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you press any direction besides up and hit A while running, you'll get a dash attack. Obviously.

I'm under the impression that C-Stick doesn't really care about whether you turn tap jump on or off, because there's too many things that support C-Stick "Smash Attack" being a smashdirection+A macro compared to those that go against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom