• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Reskins: Custom Alt Colors (No burning needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioBrawling

Smash Rookie
I have 2 questions, and I apologize in advance if they've been answered elsewhere, but if they have someone can just link me.

1- since there are multiple default alternative costumes for each character, how many custom textures can we make and choose between after burning the game to a dvd? is there a guide for how to include multiple custom textures for each character?

2- is there a way to alter the textures of a character's attack effects (like the color of pikachu's lightning and/or the color of ganondorf's warlock punch)?

homsar

Smash Ace
I have 2 questions, and I apologize in advance if they've been answered elsewhere, but if they have someone can just link me.

1- since there are multiple default alternative costumes for each character, how many custom textures can we make and choose between after burning the game to a dvd? is there a guide for how to include multiple custom textures for each character?

2- is there a way to alter the textures of a character's attack effects (like the color of pikachu's lightning and/or the color of ganondorf's warlock punch)?
1. You can't haev any more textures then are already on the game disc. So if the character has 6 textures normally you could add 6 new textures to replace the old ones. This is because we are replacing the texture files, not adding more.

http://stacksmash.cultnet.net/communitycostumes/123forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=62 - This tells you how to insert textures.

2. Depends on the attack, like Pits arrows can be modified, but most attacks are a no on that matter.

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Okay, how long does it take to download a Brawl ISO? I think I'm doing something wrong. I know that you can't actually give out the ISO, but could someone at least link the site where you got yours? (Or would that count as giving it out?) I don't know why this is giving me so much trouble...

AAUUGGHH!!!

homsar

Smash Ace
Okay, how long does it take to download a Brawl ISO? I think I'm doing something wrong. I know that you can't actually give out the ISO, but could someone at least link the site where you got yours? (Or would that count as giving it out?) I don't know why this is giving me so much trouble...

AAUUGGHH!!!
Have you considered ripping it yourself? Takes considerably less time. But it will take hours either way.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
No discussion about where or how to get a copy of the Brawl ISO, sorry.

Though it is a big *** file so don't expect anything fast.

(§L)Link1

Smash Rookie
Sweet i would probaly see people change Sonic into a Shadow Alt ColorZ XD.i seen people do dis before.I got to get some for Link so he can be Fierce Deity Link from Majora's Mask xD

(§L)Link

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
There should be a way to use SD cards. Someone else is working on it but I'm not sure of how far they got. I will work on it when I'm done with some of my other projects, don't know how long that will be though.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Can someone suggest an easy way to decipher these texture files? I've been looking at them and i have absolutely no idea what i am looking at half of the time.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Are you using ASH? All you have to do is get the .pac for your character from the iso and then run step1. It will create a folder for every texture, which contains a tga file that can easily be edited with photoshop/gimp.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Can someone suggest an easy way to decipher these texture files? I've been looking at them and i have absolutely no idea what i am looking at half of the time.
Autodesk 3ds Max, a plugin, and a trophy MDL0-to-DAE converter, and you'll have yourself some pretty previews of the characters. Seriously, that thing's a godsend.

If you can't do that... well, there's always playing Brawl and zooming in to see those minor details (good luck when doing that on someone like Zelda o_o ).

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
I worded that post wrong. I'm having trouble knowing what to change in the actual image itself. Like what should go where and how things are oriented.
Ah my bad.

Like steelia said 3ds Max is really the best way to find out what's what. I couldn't even imagine doing a character like Pikachu without it.
There should be some threads on how to set everything up and get the trophy models on the kitty corp forums.

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
Could someone upload the original textures to another sharing-website? The current one seems to stop downloading at 30%. :(

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
I got the ISO, and I'm trying to burn it to a Verbatim DVD+R DL, but it says: "Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present)". I'm using ImgBurn. It's also come to my attention that I need to update a WiiKey or something. I (think I) know how & where to get a WiiKey, but does that require any updating of the Wii console itself? I have Homebrew as well, so I can't consider updating it.

Y'know, maybe I should just wait. I heard that a texture hacking device compatible w/ Homebrew is being worked on...

Link_enfant

Smash Apprentice
For all characters, and why not stages aswell. A lot of textures have been made for Brawl, but why didn't Melee have anything like this ? It derserves it even more imo, and must not be that hard (if not easier), so I really wonder why no one seems interested about making reskins for Melee, or even talk about it :s
At least it would be cool if I can talk about it with some people who are more or less interested, but tell me if I should make a new thread (and in another section ?) for this or not, thanks :)

(very nice avatar btw, love it)

Steelia

Smash Champion
For all characters, and why not stages aswell. A lot of textures have been made for Brawl, but why didn't Melee have anything like this ? It derserves it even more imo, and must not be that hard (if not easier), so I really wonder why no one seems interested about making reskins for Melee, or even talk about it :s
At least it would be cool if I can talk about it with some people who are more or less interested, but tell me if I should make a new thread (and in another section ?) for this or not, thanks :)

(very nice avatar btw, love it)
I've had this idea in mind since the time Brawl (and 64) were mentioned as hackable. Unfortunately, the necessary tools needed to edit Melee... are beyond our reach, so far as I know. Trust me. I looked into it as deep as I could (I wanted textures of Young Link for a future project), but in the end came out empty-handed.

However, if there came a day when people decided to revert to Melee for hacking... count me in. I'd willingly drop all my Brawl belongings and start from scratch for the sake of Melee.

Link_enfant

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I see... So the game is that hard to hack ? That's too bad :(
I could get textures from it, but they were dumped with the Dolphin emulator, I don't know if I can do anything with this. It dumped them into .tga files, but I would need to find a way to replace them in the iso, which seems hard =x
Thnks for the info anyway ;)

Steelia

Smash Champion
Oh, I see... So the game is that hard to hack ? That's too bad :(
Hmm. I don't know about that. I saw on a different forum (during my quest for Young Link) that someone WAS able to successfully put back textures into the game. They had made a "THIS IS A TEST" Fox, with those words written on his jacket, and it worked beautifully. So there IS hope.

homsar

Smash Ace
I got the ISO, and I'm trying to burn it to a Verbatim DVD+R DL, but it says: "Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present)". I'm using ImgBurn. It's also come to my attention that I need to update a WiiKey or something. I (think I) know how & where to get a WiiKey, but does that require any updating of the Wii console itself? I have Homebrew as well, so I can't consider updating it.

Y'know, maybe I should just wait. I heard that a texture hacking device compatible w/ Homebrew is being worked on...
You don't need Wiikey if you have homebrew. You just need a backup loader in your homebrew to lanch the burnt game. If ImgBurn is saying 'Medium Not Present' then it means the disk is bad or you CD/DVD drive can't read/write on the disk.

Still no hope for a Melee reskin ? :(
If you can get the textures into a editable format then convert them back to there original format you should theoretically be able to insert them with WiiScrubber or Trucha Signer.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
You don't need a dual layer disk as long as you're not going to play single player (classic/all-star/SSE). Stadium and training are fine.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
You don't need a dual layer disk as long as you're not going to play single player (classic/all-star/SSE). Stadium and training are fine.
Seriously? I don't play single player, just regular brawl and online.
The largest CD I can find in my house is 700 MB. Will that hold regular brawl and everything online?

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Seriously? I don't play single player, just regular brawl and online.
The largest CD I can find in my house is 700 MB. Will that hold regular brawl and everything online?
lol, non dual layered Brawl, which is the version without single player, is still 4ish gigs.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Hmmm..... Kinda wierd how I'm not gonna get single player to a disc.... Will the SSE/Classic/All Star not appear at all in the game or will it appear and freeze the game when I click on it?
And is there a specific way to burn Brawl by not getting SSE/Classic/All Star on my game? Will the CD fill up and not accept anything else or something like that.......

homsar

Smash Ace
You need minimum a Single Layer DVD (about 4 gigs it can hold). If you just burn it the burn will stop half way and say that space has run out, this is ok because the second layer contains the single player stuff and regular brawl will work (clicking on single player freezes it).

If for some reason your computer doesn't let you burn it onto a single layer disc (this happened to me) you then need to buy a double layer disc or modifiy the brawl ISO so that both Regular Brawl and Single player, fit on the same layer (This is what I did).

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the second layer only has videos. Because of that the game will freeze right after loading a profile in SSE or at the very end of classic and all-star (because of the ending movies).

DVD+Rs can burn and will just stop when you run out of space. DVD-Rs won't burn unless you manually trim the ISO to the correct size (not sure what that is, just search to find the max capacity of a standard single layer disk).

GreenGhost21

Smash Cadet
Strange...
It didn't come with what it said it required.
WTF?!
Y would something not come with what it requires to work??
Seriously,
W
T
F
?
!

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Does that mean that, like, it burns the not-video layer first? That'd be a lot more convenient than patching it to single-layer!
Yep, DVD+Rs are the best option here.

And your sig = one of the most epic posts ever :p

Strange...
It didn't come with what it said it required.
WTF?!
Y would something not come with what it requires to work??
Seriously,
W
T
F
?
!
???

GreenGhost21

Smash Cadet
It sez it requires TextConv and ntcompress. neither of them came with it, and I also can't find 'em on the link u provided.
Also, I wanna know, how do I use the texture uploader/setter code? I downloaded lots of textures from StackSmash, and I wanna use 'em.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
No one here will be able to tell you where to get those two files, as it's technically illegal to do so.

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Excellent! Thanks, Phantom. I have a couple questions, though...

1) I assume we put the codes in the Code Manager for the Ocarina app? Or is it someplace else?
2) Would we still need the Brawl ISO?
3) Since you say "no more disk burning", that means the texture hacks now work with a normal, retail version of Brawl?

Bit of a n00b when it comes to this texture hacking stuff. Again, I really appreciate this.

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this had been brought up before but couldn't find much info about it.
How does I preview costumes I am working on? I search other sites and some mentioned maya among other programs but no one has gone in detail about it. Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom