• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Reskins: Custom Alt Colors (No burning needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
If you burn to a dvd+r, the burner will give you warnings but it will burn fine (just hit burn anyway). If you want to burn to a dvd-r you will need a single layer iso.
Cool, I'll check which dvds I have at home when I get back. Thanks! :3

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
So I'm having some major trouble with the wiiscrubber stuff. I'm using 1.21, and I keep getting an io_read error, with the partition tmd problem. I've read that it means that the copy of Brawl you have on your comp isn't a working one. So here are a couple things:

1) I'm torrenting a back-up now. Assuming it doesn't work, I'm going to try copying it from my wii again.

2) Last time, I used the wii http dumper, and selected Wii DL dump, or something like that. Any other program that allows me to copy crap offa my wii, and possibly works better? I don't want to purchase those super-rare DVD drives, so I'm left using my Wii as a server.

3) Is it fairly simple knowing which files to replace with which when you actually see it? Do I need to rename textures or anything like that? I can't find a good tutorial for this stuff anywhere. Knowing my luck, this bit is in the first post. lolololol

4) Does ANYONE have a good Metal Sonic texture? Are there any people that would send me screencaps of their custom characters and the .pcs? Ultimately, I'd like to compile a roster of nothing but amazing custom colours and use it for tournaments.

Sky Walker

Smash Rookie
Not bad, not bad at all, Sky Walker. You certainly have potential with these. :D
Thanx a lot :chuckle:

I'll do more texture but later ..

I have hard exams during these 2 weeks :(

and I don't have a DVD writer now .. I used my friend's DVD writer to test Fly Mario Tex :p

I'll buy one after the exams ..

Steelia

Smash Champion
So I'm having some major trouble with the wiiscrubber stuff. I'm using 1.21, and I keep getting an io_read error, with the partition tmd problem. I've read that it means that the copy of Brawl you have on your comp isn't a working one. So here are a couple things:

1) I'm torrenting a back-up now. Assuming it doesn't work, I'm going to try copying it from my wii again.

2) Last time, I used the wii http dumper, and selected Wii DL dump, or something like that. Any other program that allows me to copy crap offa my wii, and possibly works better? I don't want to purchase those super-rare DVD drives, so I'm left using my Wii as a server.

3) Is it fairly simple knowing which files to replace with which when you actually see it? Do I need to rename textures or anything like that? I can't find a good tutorial for this stuff anywhere. Knowing my luck, this bit is in the first post. lolololol

4) Does ANYONE have a good Metal Sonic texture? Are there any people that would send me screencaps of their custom characters and the .pcs? Ultimately, I'd like to compile a roster of nothing but amazing custom colours and use it for tournaments.
At your first bit, before the numbers: Oh, no, that io_read error and partition message are PERFECTLY normal. If anything, you'd WANT that to happen (this only happens with 4.7GB Brawl ISOs, because half its data was erased... hence the error messages). Those messages pop up for me all the time; all I do is hold ENTER until the last of 'em are gone, and continue on my merry work. It can be annoying sometimes, trying to put in a PAC file and restarting the program to hold ENTER through the messages again... but it's worth it. :)

@3) It is fairly simple to know what files to replace... or at least finding the characters (if you didn't know Koopa was Bowser or Purin was Jigglypuff, though, you'll have a bit more trouble). The characters' files are divided in terms of numbers; "Fit[character][doubledigitnumber].pac" and "Fit[character][doubledigitnumber].pcs".
[character], obviously, refers to the fighter... It may be "Captain" for Captain Falcon, or "Ganon" for Ganondorf. The [doubledigitnumber] falls between 00 and 06, depending on the number of costumes the character has.
So if you were working with Pikachu, and you wanted to replace his original costume, you'd want to replace "FitPikachu00.pcs".
(I'd recommending downloading THIS NIFTY GUIDE so that you know what you're replacing costume-number-wise.)

4) And no, no idea where to find a good enough Metal Sonic, sorry. ):

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Well... They release PCS files only because you can decompress them into PAC files, so they save space and bandwidth.
How do you turn PCS into PAC files to stick back into it? Or does ASH do that?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Ah, awesome, thanks.

So making sure I do this right.

1. Get the PCS/PAC files
2. Use SSBExtract to open up the ISO
3. Use ASH to stick the files in
4. Wiiscrub it

correct?

Steelia

Smash Champion
1.) Get the PCS/PAC files, correct.
2.) Use WIISCRUBBER v1.21 to open up the ISO and save PAC files, not SSBExtract (SSBExtract is used to open up PAC files).
3.) Use ASH to alter the PAC files to become your customs... then stick your custom PAC/PCS files (that ASH creates) into the SSBB ISO via WiiScrubber.
4.) No need to WiiScrub, unless your ISO is bigger than 4.7GB... Even then, I think there's an alternate method. Scrubbing the ISO is never really necessary, though.

max_da_ling

Smash Cadet
Alright, so I've made my first custom Brawl iso with mostly Stack Smashes hacks on it, took a long time. It works ok, but I'm getting a lot of freezing. I imagine this is because I haven't added the pac files to all the characters? Stack smash's very quick tutorial says its only necessary to include the pac for a few characters, so I added to those ones, no others. I figure this is why i'm freezing, or I made a stupid mistake, or it's just unstable. Anyone having better luck?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Alright, so I've made my first custom Brawl iso with mostly Stack Smashes hacks on it, took a long time. It works ok, but I'm getting a lot of freezing. I imagine this is because I haven't added the pac files to all the characters? Stack smash's very quick tutorial says its only necessary to include the pac for a few characters, so I added to those ones, no others. I figure this is why i'm freezing, or I made a stupid mistake, or it's just unstable. Anyone having better luck?
Sounds like a job for...
WIISCRUBBER v1.21!!

...assuming that's what you DIDN'T use. Don't listen to what anyone else says; WiiScrubber 1.21 WORKS. WiiScrubbers 1.3, 1.31, 1.2, etc. DO NOT WORK. THEY FREEZE YOUR GAME. I WOULD KNOW. I'm a 1.3-to-1.21 convert. :p

If you DID use 1.21... you got me. I haven't heard anything wrong with them. The only characters that require PAC files are Pokemon Trainer, Samus, Zelda, Bowser... Transformation characters, mainly.

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like a job for...
WIISCRUBBER v1.21!!

...assuming that's what you DIDN'T use. Don't listen to what anyone else says; WiiScrubber 1.21 WORKS. WiiScrubbers 1.3, 1.31, 1.2, etc. DO NOT WORK. THEY FREEZE YOUR GAME. I WOULD KNOW. I'm a 1.3-to-1.21 convert. :p

If you DID use 1.21... you got me. I haven't heard anything wrong with them. The only characters that require PAC files are Pokemon Trainer, Samus, Zelda, Bowser... Transformation characters, mainly.
Every character need PAC files, or the original models will show up in other modes like on-line or multi-man.

Sairou

Smash Journeyman
Anyone wanna just upload an ISO with all of Stacksmash's textures? Lol. My ISO contains a Pikachu freezing the game at Char Select Screen Problem

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
That will not happen nor be discued here due to the illegalness of game ISO's

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Hmm, done that, but all I get is <name>.pcs.out

Do I just rename it to .PAC or is there something I've mised?
Yes, generally it works like that. It always adds an .OUT extension. You'll have to figure out what type of file it is yourself until someone comes with a better alternative.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
But if I stick a .pcs file in and get the .out file, does that mean the file is a .pac? Or does it randomly be a .pcs/.pac?

Maroy

Smash Rookie
If you dragged the .pcs onto lzz77 or whatever its called the .pcs.out is a renamed .pac file so you just rename it to a .pac
that better be correct or I just wasted 4 hours of my life =_=
Edit: wow i'm posting from a wii! lol! my first post!
Edit2: I put a bunch of stacksmash texture hacks on the iso and burned it with ImgBurn but when I actually play it through the Gator backup loader it will read the disk for a second and then ask for the REAL brawl disk what am I doing wrong?

Kirk

Smash Champion
But if I stick a .pcs file in and get the .out file, does that mean the file is a .pac? Or does it randomly be a .pcs/.pac?
Stick your .pcs into lz77ex, get the .pcs.out file, and rename it to .pac. Simple as that. That's how you get your .pac files.

---

To share my own experience:

A few days ago, I spent about 5+ hours gathering textures, creating .pac files, inserting them into the iso and testing the burned discs. I did trials which included inserting some .pcs files with the .pac files and some without, using Wiiscrubber 1.31 and 1.21, etc.

My first tests had multiple freezing errors...where I had some .pac files omitted, and used Wiiscrubber 1.31.

After many other tests, I switched to Wiiscrubber 1.21 and made sure I had all of the .pac files to go with the .pcs files. This iso ended up having 100+ textures in it. In my few days of testing it, I've had ZERO errors.

My conclusion: Use Wiiscrubber 1.21 and include all of the .pac files. Better safe than sorry. :)

Hope this helps some people.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Awesome, thanks hugely guys! It's 1am here, so I'll try this out first thing in tomorow!

Mumfie

Smash Rookie
Must i have a LG-DVD drive to make a texture version backup game to burn these games?
(If you are allowed to say)

-LG-8164b

-LG-8163b

-LG-8162b

-LG-8161b

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Must i have a LG-DVD drive to make a texture version backup game to burn these games?
(If you are allowed to say)

-LG-8164b

-LG-8163b

-LG-8162b

-LG-8161b
All I will say is no, you don't need one of those, and to search around.

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
I found the CSP in the PAL version! Yay!
Working on a ASH CSP Edition :)

Can anyone compile a lz77ex without the system's pause? It will help me a lot.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
****. Any idea why some textures (SmashStacks Vegita, Sigma and one or two others) would cause the game to crash (freeze with that loud buzzing noise)? Would the textures being put on Japan Brawl cause that? Would it be better to put em on a PAL copy?

Steelia

Smash Champion
****. Any idea why some textures (SmashStacks Vegita, Sigma and one or two others) would cause the game to crash (freeze with that loud buzzing noise)? Would the textures being put on Japan Brawl cause that? Would it be better to put em on a PAL copy?
It'd probably be best to put them on some kind of USA copy (I forget the code for it exactly). PAL might work too, though.
And yeh, it may have something to do with you having a Japanese Brawl which may cause the game to crash. (That, or you're not using WiiScrubber 1.21, as I had no problems with said textures.)

Kishin

Smash Ace
Syntax error a.k.a. supertexture0 on youtube, have stopped making textures presumably due to nintendo threatening to file a lawsuit against them. This may be old news, but the link to their website is still there in the OP.

Xpwnage123

Smash Cadet
I need help. I'm using the newest ASH (2.2), and everytime I try to insert a +2 texture the program says error, (location to texture) has no pallete.

After you hit enter it goes to:

ERROR: The image your provided does not have an indexed palette.
It will be ignored.

Any idea on how to fix this? This has happened to every +1 and +2 texture I've tried it on.

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
I need help. I'm using the newest ASH (2.2), and everytime I try to insert a +2 texture the program says error, (location to texture) has no pallete.

After you hit enter it goes to:

ERROR: The image your provided does not have an indexed palette.
It will be ignored.

Any idea on how to fix this? This has happened to every +1 and +2 texture I've tried it on.
Read the instructions, it tells you how to modify +1 and +2 textures.

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
I'm working very hard on ASH CSP.
I found a lot of bugs (and fixed them) in these days. I won't release it until it's perfect and compatible with USA version (only PAL compatibility right now).

But I can tell you how it's going to work, so you can prepair your portraits.
There are two types of portraits: big and small.
Big portraits are 128x160, they are used in character selection screen and victory screen.
Small portraits are 48x56 and they are shown while playing.
For example: Mario has twelve images.
big_mario1.tga
big_mario2.tga
big_mario3.tga
big_mario4.tga
big_mario5.tga
big_mario6.tga
small_mario1.tga
small_mario2.tga
small_mario3.tga
small_mario4.tga
small_mario5.tga
small_mario6.tga
Each number is the costume (you shouldn't bother in that now because you still don't know which number is your costume, and no, they don't match with FitXX.pac files used in normal ASH).
Big portraits will have to use a very reduced palette of colors in order to fit in the original file.
Small portraits usually use up to 240, so you won't have any problems.
Both types should have a transparent background (magenta) in order to show correctly in the game (if you don't make a transparent background, then they will show a weird black background).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom