• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Reskins: Custom Alt Colors (No burning needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phreeq

Smash Apprentice
That's fine, atleast you'll actually be able to. I feel bad that androu's textures aren't working.

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
That's fine, atleast you'll actually be able to. I feel bad that androu's textures aren't working.
I TOO feel bad.I may get mah dirty hands on an Verbatim DVD today.It's probably the only thing left for me to try!

VandalKING

Smash Cadet
Okay lets make this a lot clearer for peeps trying to get started, including me...

Pharrox, can you please list what you will need to ultimately open your Wii to hacking? I'm not talking about the modchip and such yet. I heard you need TP to get the Twilight Hack, but I then read that you don't need it? What's up with that? What exactly do you need to get the channel?

And could you please say where you got your modchip from? I don't want to buy a piece of crap modchip, or one I have to solder onto my Wii. I'm not sure if you mentioned this, it's been awhile since I lurked this topic. And the FAQ could be a bit more helpful to those trying to get started.

Thanks in advance bro. I really wanna start making custom stuff for me and my friends, but I'm hella lost, and I'm sure others are too.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Well, the Twilight Hack isn't an absolute essential here, but here's how it works. You will need a copy of Twilight Princess to install the Homebrew Channel. After that, anything that can be loaded through TP can be loaded throught the Homebrew Channel, so it is no longer needed.

In order to do the texture hack all you need it a Wii that can play modified burned games. There are three ways to do this:

#1 A modded Wii with firmware 3.2 or earlier:
The easiest of the three. All you need is a Wii with a modchip. Follow the guide and it will load and play fine, no worries.

#2: A modded Wii with firmware 3.3 or later, the Homebrew Channel, and Gecko Region Free:
The most complicated but also probably the best choice for most people (since firmware can't be downgraded). Like always you will need a Wii with a modchip. You will need a copy of Twilight Princess. the twilight hack save, and the homebrew channel. Name the Homebrew Channel .elf file "boot.elf" if it isn't already and put it on the root of your SD card.

Install the twilight hack (there are plenty of guides for this) and run it to install the Homebrew Channel. After that you don't need TP anymore (the channel does the Twilight Hack without needing the game).

Get Gecko Region Free from the Homebrew Channel website and then run the modified game by inserting it, going to the Homebrew Channel, and running GRF.

#3: A modded Wii with Waninkoko's custom Wii firmware
You can also run modified burned games with a chipped Wii by installing Waninkoko's custom firmware. I haven't done this so I can't really comment on it. Go to his website and there should be some guides to talk you through it. It will then load like any Wii with firmware 3.2 or earlier.

I can't remember where I got my modchip from (it was ages ago) and it had to be soldered in. I would reccommend modchipcentral.com. Before ordering a chip be sure to check your serial number to make sure you order a compatible chip. Order the chip, presoldered to a clip so you don't have to do any soldering yourself.

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
Well, the Twilight Hack isn't an absolute essential here, but here's how it works. You will need a copy of Twilight Princess to install the Homebrew Channel. After that, anything that can be loaded through TP can be loaded throught the Homebrew Channel, so it is no longer needed.
ORLY? Not rly...

If you have an modchip you can just download and burn the installation DVD for the HBC,right from the HBC website.It works like a charm.

Phreeq

Smash Apprentice
All this talk about modchips makes me sad :'(

Mine should be here friday.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
ORLY? Not rly...

If you have an modchip you can just download and burn the installation DVD for the HBC,right from the HBC website.It works like a charm.
But that will only work pre-3.3, in which case the Homebrew Channel isn't needed.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
I just ordered a WiiKey clip-on (no solder required) and I have firmware 3.2U so I should be good to go. ^_^

@Syntax Error: Will you guys (or anyone else) be having your creations available for download so that anyone with a modchip can use them as well? These are turning out so sexy.

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
But that will only work pre-3.3, in which case the Homebrew Channel isn't needed.
Oh,I didn't know about that.I am still in ver 3.1,lol.

And,I haven't got an Verbatim DVD yet.They are hard to find.I mostly find some "MATRIX" DVDs.Don't know about their quality.Do you know if the difference between replacing .pcs with Vista or WinXP could be related to the freezing?

All that is left there for me is Vista and verbatim :/

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
Everyone subscribe to SuperTexture0. They have some awesome texture videos. Any they seem to make more very quickly too!

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I just ordered a WiiKey clip-on (no solder required) and I have firmware 3.2U so I should be good to go. ^_^

@Syntax Error: Will you guys (or anyone else) be having your creations available for download so that anyone with a modchip can use them as well? These are turning out so sexy.
I hope you made sure Wiikey is a compatible chip first. ;) Just want to be sure.

Oh,I didn't know about that.I am still in ver 3.1,lol.

And,I haven't got an Verbatim DVD yet.They are hard to find.I mostly find some "MATRIX" DVDs.Don't know about their quality.Do you know if the difference between replacing .pcs with Vista or WinXP could be related to the freezing?

All that is left there for me is Vista and verbatim :/
Verbatim is a last resort. I use Memorex mostly and I've never had any problems. Currently I'm working with some old CompUSA brand DVDs and everything is working fine. I've also used several other brands that all ran with no problems.

You should be able to get Verbatims at Best Buy. They are considered the best, but it should still work with most DVDs. Getting Verbatim is just basically a test to be completely sure that DVDs aren't the problem. To my knowledge, replacing on XP or Vista wont make a difference.

Also, assuming you got the iso online and it was compressed, you might want to delete your extracted iso and reextract the original to be sure that nothing else on the iso got changed.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Yeah, I used the serial number tracker. Mine's one of the 2nd running, a D2B with Drive Pins not cut. From what I can tell the clip on won't be a problem.

As for the iso, I assume there's no way to extract it ourselves right? So what's the exact file size of your iso file? I'm going to start the hunt for one soon, but I heard there's also a single layer version that cuts out subspace embassy.

Raganook

Smash Apprentice
Hey Pharrox, I really appreciate the referral on your front post :) Very nice of you!

Can you please just change one thing :p In the sentence ending "have formed an amazing team called Syntaxt Error", there's a stray "t" that ended up at the end of "Syntax" :o.

Anyways, we couldn't have done ANY of it without all the research and work you have already done, so we of course offer you our biggest thanks :p

Menneb

Smash Rookie
Can someone please extract all of the ZSS textures included the alts please? I am in need of them!

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
I didn't find verbatim DVDs.I got HP and Imation DVDs.Still freezing!!!

I will have to try it on Vista...I'm angry...

EDIT:Vista is **** still! Nothing works! Pharrox,explain step by step what you did with my texture...NOTHING IS WORKING FOR ME! The game works normally,but when I play as one of my costume it freezes RIGHT when the match SHOULD start... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I want to kill.This is ****

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I used the serial number tracker. Mine's one of the 2nd running, a D2B with Drive Pins not cut. From what I can tell the clip on won't be a problem.

As for the iso, I assume there's no way to extract it ourselves right? So what's the exact file size of your iso file? I'm going to start the hunt for one soon, but I heard there's also a single layer version that cuts out subspace embassy.
I have both, as well as the Japanese version. :p It's hard to say how big something like that will be online because there may be several releases that are compressed differently. Stay away from anything labled as WiiScrubbed, since I don't know what affects that will have on an iso, but I've probably already said too much. It is also possible to extract it yourself by having the Wii copy it disk image in pieces to the SD card. That's complicated.

EDIT: How is ":p" not one of the smilies?

Hey Pharrox, I really appreciate the referral on your front post :) Very nice of you!

Can you please just change one thing :p In the sentence ending "have formed an amazing team called Syntaxt Error", there's a stray "t" that ended up at the end of "Syntax" :o.

Anyways, we couldn't have done ANY of it without all the research and work you have already done, so we of course offer you our biggest thanks :p
How did that happen? Fixed.

And thanks. :)

I didn't find verbatim DVDs.I got HP and Imation DVDs.Still freezing!!!

I will have to try it on Vista...I'm angry...

EDIT:Vista is **** still! Nothing works! Pharrox,explain step by step what you did with my texture...NOTHING IS WORKING FOR ME! The game works normally,but when I play as one of my costume it freezes RIGHT when the match SHOULD start... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I want to kill.This is ****
Okay, a few more things. First, is the iso you're using WiiScrubbed? If so that could be a problem. Second, are you sure you're using WiiScrubber 1.21 to replace the files? WiiScrubber 1.2 claims to be able to do it but has a bug which causes it to be done incorrectly. Version 1.2 is much easier to find, it's a common mistake.

For me all I did was:

1: Open WiiScrubber
2: Open disk image
3: Find the .pcs file to replace
4: Right click, 'Load'
5: Open file
6: Wait for the image to reparse completely
7: Close WiiScrubber
8: Open Imgburn
9: Open ISO
10: Burn at 4x speed

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Someone Should make a Joker Luigi(from Batman) since he is badass and a Joker(Luigi) vs. BatMan(Blue MK) would be epic :p

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
Okay, a few more things. First, is the iso you're using WiiScrubbed? If so that could be a problem. Second, are you sure you're using WiiScrubber 1.21 to replace the files? WiiScrubber 1.2 claims to be able to do it but has a bug which causes it to be done incorrectly. Version 1.2 is much easier to find, it's a common mistake.
HOLY ****CAKES! That was my problem I have WiiScrubber 1.2!!!

Such an stupid mistake from my part! :(

EDIT: I can only find (easily) v1.30.Have you tried that one?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
You're not the first person to make that mistake. 1.2 doesn't rewrite the ISOs structure file properly when replacing. As I said, 1.21 is pretty hard to find. Anyway, I didn't even know there was 1.3 yet (I'm starting to fall behind), but I would assume that should work fine. In the .0001% chance that it doesn't however, here is a link to version 1.21:

WiiScrubber 1.21

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Can anyone Please put all the color hacks as pics in the first post plz? Since it would be helpful.

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
OK.Tested with WiiScrubber 1.30 and an Imation DVD.Results:

-Working-
Lucasness
Travis Touchdown Lucas
Captain Rainbow

-Not Working (I probably messed up with them-
Meta-Kirby (replaced the Blue Kirby.Froze in Character Selection)
Waddle Doo Kirby by Phreeq (replaced the Red Kirby.Froze before starting the match)
Royal Purple Marth (character selection freeze) (???!!!)
Pink Marth (same as royal purple)
Stealthy Orange (Orange Snake) (character selection freeze)
Both Ness costumes freeze in character selection.

-Didn't test-
Shiny Pokemon Trainer
Dark-A-Chu

Also,I have a problem with Lucas textures.His closed eyes ones.When he has the Final Smash,they look messed up.Their area on the face is all white.Also,the only thing I changed on them was the eyebrows color :/

I will retry with v1.21,just in case :p

I will retry later

Phreeq

Smash Apprentice
Hooray for them working, I hope the rest work in 1.21. Can't wait to see Travis.

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
Pictures!!!

Captain Rainbow

Travis Lucas

^---This is the error in both of my Lucas costumes---^

Ness Lucas (I know I didn't post many of this one)

I also didn't take a pic of Captain Rainbow's blue tongue XD

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
I will try out later.As of now,I am thinking of just not caring about Snake's costume.It's not that good,any way.But MetaKirby I love...I hope it will work.

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
Update!

-Working-
Lucasness
Travis Touchdown Lucas
Captain Rainbow
Dark-a-chu (man,is he REALLY dark!)
Beardness (my favorite! I will doubt he will ever stop being my favorite!)
Royal Purple Marth

-Not Working (I probably messed up with them)-
Meta-Kirby (Kirby made to look like unmasked Metaknight) (Froze in Character Selection)
Waddle Doo Kirby by Phreeq (Froze before starting the match)
Pink Marth (character selection freeze)
Lucas clothes for Ness (character selection freeze)
Shiny Pokemon Trainer (character selection freeze) (I think it's because of Squirtle)

Pharrox,can you check MetaKirby,Pink Marth,Stealthy Orange,Necas and Squirtle?

I will do another try.This time without Squirtle and changing Pink Marth and Necas to substitute another costume for their respective character :p

By the by,it seems NOTHING is working with Kirby!

I will post pics later (in the night in my timezone :p)

Preeq,by MetaKirby I meant Kirby made to look like an unmasked MetaKnight.Dark blue with yellow eyes :p

Phreeq

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that's what I was thinking, ugh, can't beleive none of the kirby's are working. :'( He's my main.

Phreeq

Smash Apprentice
NOOO! Wait, are you serious or something?

Edit: Does anyone know how to make Ike's hair not look like a mop when editing him?

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
He should have made him be the easier to mod.In fact,I am sure all the user custom costumes so far are way better than what we have in the game!

Anyway,Pharrox,I need help! These costumes do not WANT to work it seems.If you could check them it would be awesome:
Pink Marth (character selection freeze)
Lucas clothes for Ness (character selection freeze)
Shiny Pokemon Trainer (character selection freeze)

PKMN trainer is not because of Squirtle.And,Kirby seems to be an ******* to mod!

Also,it seems Marth has mipmaps and my texture fades out when zoomed out.How can I kind of dissable or delete the mipmaps or something to stop having this problem? I am sure that's why the texture didn't reach the other TEX0 when added in hex.Snake has them too (but I stopped caring about his costume,to be honest) and so does Squirtle...I think...

Phreeq

Smash Apprentice
O and Pharrox, if you don't mind checking mine out as well, it would be very much appreciated.

Thx. =]

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
Pictures!

Dark-a-chu

Royal Purple Marth (As requested by Starry Might)

Beardness (The best costume for Ness...EVUR!!!)

Steelia

Smash Champion
Haha, "Meat Grinder R.O.B." at the Ghostneo page... That gave me a good laugh. XD
Didn't no Tabuu made such an intense version of him.

And I wonder who the "Tomorrow's Update Hint" is hinting at...?

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
Haha, "Meat Grinder R.O.B." at the Ghostneo page... That gave me a good laugh. XD
Didn't no Tabuu made such an intense version of him.

And I wonder who the "Tomorrow's Update Hint" is hinting at...?
Its going to be Roy, Mewtwo is going to probably need more time (and also some knowhow in model editing) before we can have him back in Smash, but I hope I can be proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom