• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Reskins: Custom Alt Colors (No burning needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phreeq

Smash Apprentice
Hey Andou, did you get your modchip fixed or w/e today?

If so, test out my waddle doo tex. plz if you still have it.

Mine still has yet to arrive at my doorstep.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Well, if anyone's gonna try to write a repacker, here are a few things you might find helpful:

.pac and .brres specs
tplconv's source for understanding .tpl, or more importantly, TEX0/PLT0

Here's an updated version of Heinerman's specs. Updated by Keshire at GBAtemp:
Code:
--------------------------------
BRES
--------------------------------

char	  "bres"
dword	0xFEFF
dword	EOF (File Size)
word 	Pointer to root section	[2]
word 	Number of Sections	[2] (Includes 'root' section)

ROOT HEADER:
	char	  "root"
	dword	Full header section size	[4]
	//MASTER TABLE INDEX:
	dword	Master Table Pointer Section Size (seems to be first Table Entry only)
	dword	# of Master Table Entries + 1	[4] (One Table entry for each Section 'type' +1 for 'Root') [So 9 TEX0's would only warrant 1 Table Entry]
Another table by Keshire for brres in Hex Workshop:
Code:
//Hex Workshop Structures//
//SSBB brres//

#include "standard-types.hsl"

#pragma byteorder(big_endian)
#pragma maxarray(65536)

#pragma Hide()

struct IndexEntry
{
	dword	pString; //Folder Name
	dword	pFileTable; //Root indexes Table
	word	unknown;
	word	unknown;
	word	unknown;
	word	unknown;
};

#pragma Show()

struct Main
{
	char	ID[4]; //'bres'
	dword	xFEFF;
	dword	FileSize;
	word	pRoot; //Pointer to 'root'
	word	SectionNumber; //Includes root

struct Index
	{
		char	ID[4]; //'Root'	
		dword	HeaderSize;
		dword	IndexSize;
		dword	FileTableNumber; //indexing file by folder

struct	IndexTable
		{
			word	xFF; //Always
			word	x00; //Always
			word	Index;
			word	unknown;
			dword	unknown;
			dword	unknown;
			word	x006D; //Always
			word	unknown;
			word	unknown;
			word	unknown;
			struct IndexEntry	Entries[Index];
		};
	};
};
I don't know how advanced you want to get, but I could also post some specs for Brawl's model data.

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
Hey Andou, did you get your modchip fixed or w/e today?

If so, test out my waddle doo tex. plz if you still have it.

Mine still has yet to arrive at my doorstep.
I has modchipz!!! I will test your texture too.I may upload pics of the textures later.After I reinstall the Homebrew Channel,that is...

Viny

Smash Cadet
If you can do Dark Samus from metroid prime 2 that will be awesome!! :O
Or Shadow with sonic
Or shadow mario from mario sunshine!
Or White Falco with a brown peck and wear all black that will be so cool

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
OK.None of my textures seem to work.They all cause the game to freeze,it seems...WHY?! WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!

EDIT:I think I know where I messed up.I am gonna re-try tomorrow...hope it work...

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
Mmmm..NONE of the textures are working...not even yours,Phreeq :/

I don't know what's wrong :/

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
Are they freezing?

EDIT: Wait, maybe you need the PAC as well?
Yes they are freezing...I sent the final PCS of my costumes to Pharrox.If he says they are messed up I will have to remake them.If he says the PCS files are fine,then IDK what is messing up on me.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
I dont get like any of it.... could i just rent TP to get the twilight hack or do u have to run it over and over.

Phreeq

Smash Apprentice
TP has nothing to do with it, you have to buy a modchip, solder it into your wii, rip an iso of brawl then screw around with it's files, then burn it to a DVD.

Phreeq

Smash Apprentice
No, a modded wii let's you basically do anything, mainly for using burned DVD's of games.

Homebrew is easier with a modded wii, but has nothing to do with it.

g0dia

Smash Rookie
When i drag the .pac files onto the SSBExtract.exe the created folder is empty :mad::dizzy::urg:
Any ideas Why? I made everything excactly like in the tutorial. The only thing i could imagine is that i'm working with the dvd5version of brawl

Phreeq

Smash Apprentice
Right click on any PAC and click open with, then browse for SSBExtract. Open it, but before you open the file click Always use this program for this file type so you dont have to do it again.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I looked at the textures Androu sent me. I only worked with one file, but everything seemed fine to me. The .pcs looked fine, I extracted it, the .pac was fine and so were all the textures there.

I could not find anything wrong. It inserted and ran fine. So I'm not really sure what problem you're having. A few suggestions:

-If you're inserting with Trucha, use WiiScrubber instead
-Always burn the disk at 4x write speed to reduce errors
-If you don't already, use Imgburn to burn the disk, it's the best iso handler
-It could be low quality DVD's. If you keep having problems try Verbatim and see if it works
-Try burning it without multiples of any character (only burn 1 of the 2 Marths for example)

That's really all I could think of. You've got the hard part done correctly, now it seems theres just some simple problem with getting it to the disk. You say it freezes. How far do you get before it freezes, and when it does, do you have to unplug your Wii or hold down the power button to get it working again?

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
-If you're inserting with Trucha, use WiiScrubber instead
-Always burn the disk at 4x write speed to reduce errors
-If you don't already, use Imgburn to burn the disk, it's the best iso handler
-It could be low quality DVD's. If you keep having problems try Verbatim and see if it works
-Try burning it without multiples of any character (only burn 1 of the 2 Marths for example)

That's really all I could think of. You've got the hard part done correctly, now it seems theres just some simple problem with getting it to the disk. You say it freezes. How far do you get before it freezes, and when it does, do you have to unplug your Wii or hold down the power button to get it working again?
-I used WiiScrubber
-I burnt at 1-2x (oops)
-I use Imgburn
-I don't think they are low quality DVDs.This the only time they have failed me.
-I will try that.If it works,is there like no way to insert both at the same time?

It freezes right when I choose an character with the corresponding costume.Say,I put Ness' Lucas costume onto his bumblebee colors.When I choose it and let it load it freezes.
Just holding the power button for a few seconds worked.

And it's good to see not much went wrong with Marth costume.Only his upper part,it seems.EDIT:I think there's also a messed up part on his cape...meh,I will leave is as that,lol

I may try putting only 1 costume per char and burning at 4x.I am gonna try the same Marth alt,and a few of the others.

Phreeq

Smash Apprentice
Will you try my waddle doo?

Mod chip Central is still being really extremely ********, they want me to pay them even MORE money, so I don't know when I'm getting my chip.

EDIT: Sorry for pushing it on you, I don't mean to be rude, I would just like to see my work.

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
I will try my MetaKirby first.After I get my textures working,I will try yours.

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
HOLY.****ING.****!!!

MY COSTUMES KEEP FREEZING!

Thing is,some freeze upon being loaded in the Character Selection screen (Kirby -I think-,Snake and I think Squirtle -I think- too).Others freeze as soon as the match SHOULD start.I choose the stage,the crowd goes "AHHHH!!!","READY TO FIGHT!" appears...and it freezes with an VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY low buzzing noise.

Heck,even Royal Purple Marth froze!

Phreeq

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm... Strange... Very Strange.

EDIT: since Androu was having issues with his Textures, I was wondering if you (Pharrox) could take a look at mine for me?

Here!

Thanks in Advance!

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I have a question about the texture thing.

Last night, I was able to extract a hacked level via SD Card from a site which was hosted by some guy named pizza boy. It was hacked in the sense that pieces were flipped and other crazy things. I don't have a mod chip or anything like that, but I was still able to play the levels perfectly fine with no crashing or anything.

Is it possible that one day the special textures could be recovered the same way the levels were via SD card and simply inserted that way, or is it different from the levels in a special way?

Any help is appreciated. If they can't, can someone please tell me how come I can play hacked levels perfectly fine without a hacking device anyways?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
It's because custom stages are meant to be transfered to an SD card. Pizzaboy uses a cheat device called USB Gecko to create the stages after disabling the limitations of the stage editor. After the file is created it can be loaded just like any other custom stage.

When in the stage editor the game checks that you aren't breaking any of its rules. It won't let you break the rules and therefore with never create a stage with the rules broken. Because these hacked stages shouldn't be possible the game never checks to see if they break any rules because it automatically assumes they can't exist. It will just load the data as it sees it, so it can be treated as any other custom stage. Some stages may also be generated on a computer using a stage builder program that is being written.

As for textures, those are files that exist on the game disk itself. The game has nothing to load custom textures in the first place, it just looks where it knows the real textures will be. I haven't even figured out how to get it to load a texture that is on the disk but in a different place.

I am beginning to get more and more convinced that loading textures from an SD card is actually possible through use of tools like Ocarina/USB Gecko, but whether someone will actually try to figure out how to do it is really unknown at this point. These tools can already swap textures already on the disk, which does open up possibilities.

I'm going to update the first post soon with Syntax Error's (Ghosteo, Raganook, Skyos, Cryos) latest works. Anyone who hasn't been following this on GBAtemp is gonna be amazed. ;)

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be really busy the next few days, so I probably won't be able to get around to it until Tuesday at the earliest.

Sorry :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom