• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Peach - An in-depth look at Peach in Brawl

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
you do notice that among peach's many nerfs she does have several buffs, though the nerfs are a tad bit more serious than her buffs.
Peach's buffs:
* Um... Backair now has two hits? Also, it's kinda stronger than in Melee because of the lower ceilings, though knockback at below 100% is smaller than in Melee for whatever reason?
* Fair is faster
* D-tilt is faster... but the freeze frames, new physics engine and knockback makes it impossible to combo after with DI past,l ike, 30%
* Same goes for F-tilt
* U-tilt is a good anti-air. It's crap for comboing, though. Doesn't kill at 120% without DI
* Faster running speed
* Faster and stronger Toad that's still not that useful.
* Faster Peach Bomber... still useless.
* More damage off of Up B.

Peach's nerfs:
* Nair's priority and range. Seriously, I've whiffed even while almost inside of opponents. Knockback has also been reduced and the sweetspot stays out for much less time now! The non-sweetspot is ridiculously weak.
* Dsmash... nerfed into infinity. Cannot be used now. Useless. No range, no knockback, doesn't KO at 300%. Still fast, but that is all. No shieldknockback means easier to punish with shieldgrabs and shieldhopped aerials.
* Upsmash is weaker, I believe.
* Less stun means less comboability for Peach since her combos relied on stun.
* Nerfed 2nd jump means no more Upair into Upair/Nair/Bair.
* Nerfed throws. Fthrow is no longer a KO move (although it required 170% to KO in Melee, anyway), Dthrow is no longer a techchasing move, Upthrow is no longer a mindgaming move and Bthrow is hardly useful at all.
* Dashattack has two hits now. More freeze frames + two hits make it easier to DI it. Even without DI, you can't combo people out of it past 40 or so percent because no one's a fast faller anymore and there's less hitstun.
* Dair launches on the last hit. People can just airdodge out of combos now... or just eat the launch (no comboing from it)
* No float-cancel
* Nerfed 2nd jump. You hardly gain any height at all.
* Nerfed Up B. You lag now even if the umbrella is closed on landing. You fall quite slowly even with the umbrella closed (easier to edgeguard). You get more height, though. And the umbrella extends further away from Peach's hand than before, so that's good, I guess.
* No more Wall Bombing.

Gee... I wonder if she's worse than in Melee...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
lol.

Hello Mid tier.
That's what I was thinking, lol. Peach is fixed in this game, or nerdified is what people like to call it these days. But I can't talk, becasue I didn't get into deep gameplay with Peach yet, but from some of the Peach masters, they don't like her new playing style. No wonder I didn't see a lot of Peach's in torneys that I went to. =/

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's what I was thinking, lol. Peach is fixed in this game, or nerdified is what people like to call it these days. But I can't talk, becasue I didn't get into deep gameplay with Peach yet, but from some of the Peach masters, they don't like her new playing style. No wonder I didn't see a lot of Peach's in torneys that I went to. =/
Fixing would simply be fixing what was wrong with her. The ywent way beyond that and "fixed" even things that weren't wrong. The problem is also that they didn't fix everyone and that the new physics engine screws Peach over.

Peach in Melee was about abusing high priority moves and mindgames because she had very limited comboability while the other Top Tiers did. Now she has neither.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
She might even be low tier.

What does she have now?

lol@nerfing Peach.

*looks at Marth and proceeds to ROFLMFAO

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I remember when Emblem Lord was telling me about how Peach in Brawl could even climb to Top Tierism a few weeks ago. LOL

As far as how low Peach will wind up, it's far too soon to tell. However, she definitely doesn't have the assets that allowed her to be as high as she was in Melee, that other characters in Brawl do. I've played her out a lot too, and she's going to fall a bit.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I remember when Emblem Lord was telling me about how Peach in Brawl could even climb to Top Tierism a few weeks ago. LOL

As far as how low Peach will wind up, it's far too soon to tell. However, she definitely doesn't have the assets that allowed her to be as high as she was in Melee, that other characters in Brawl do. I've played her out a lot too, and she's going to fall a bit.
That's my opinion exactly. She wouldn't have been so bad had they actually given her a KO-move, something she desperately needed in Melee but that her priority and damage-racking skills helped her with.

Now she can't do either, which makes her a pretty ****ty character.

Meanwhile, there are those who can do both. They will go above her on the Tierlist (and also be very hard matchups for her). It's kinda like how Mario wasn't really bad in Melee, just that there were a lot of better characters... only Peach is kinda bad in Brawl as well.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think I forgot to mention this, but if you Peach Bomb the ledge, you'll immediately grab it. So it can be used as a sweetspotting move for mindgames.

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
I don't care if some people have posted disjointed tidbits about Peach before, this will be a thread which will discuss all of the changes made to Peach in Brawl.

A companion thread would be the one with the video (I made) of Peach's moveset in order to visualize the changes, though I forgot to do the Bair while not floating and Bthrow. I'll fix that come Thursday).

Jab - It now launches the opponent even at low percentages (although it doesn't launch them that high). As crouch canceling is now out, you no longer have to fear them CC:ing her jab and punishing her.
U-tilt - Is just as fast as the old U-tilt, is a great anti-air. However, the Hitbox is mostly in her upper arm and above, so it will whiff on short standing foes (like Kirby, Meta-Knight, possibly Pit, etc.). It's quite strong, but not as strong as Upsmash. The range and priority is kinda better (in Melee, her head was invincible).
D-tilt - Faster, but since Dash Canceling is out and her D-tilt doesn't really have that great a range nor is it as fast as a lot of other D-tilts, it's virtually useless now (you can't dash cancel into a D-tilt, you have to somehow get close enough for it to hit or bait them into running into it).
Dash Attack - Two hit combo. First hit has little knockback and will knock them into the 2nd hit. Easy to DI because of this. Not a guaranteed combo-starter even without DI. Will knock them too far away once they hit the 30-40%-mark.
Dsmash - Nerfed into infinity. No CC, so the opponent can't CC it to receive the full damage at any percent. A full direct hit will inflict, like, 21% at most. Has virtually no knockback (will not KO in Sudden Death), has a reduced hitbox. The only "Good" change is that she now crouches lower when she does it, so high attacks will miss >_>'.
Fsmash - All three fsmashes have been buffed. Will kill at lower %s, especially the Frying Pan which is still mostly a vertical KO:er. Still not nearly as strong as to be considered "strong KO-moves".
Nair - Reduced priority, length and range.
Fair - Faster on both startup and cool-down. Still not as fast as most Fairs (Sheik, Marth, Fox, Falco, pretty much anyone else in the game).
Upair - I believe it's slightly stronger, the motion is also bigger and it reaches further up from Peach's body than in Melee (she kicks higher).
Bair - Two hits (undiable). Bair will make Peach move a great distance behind her, extending it a lot backwards now. Virtually no lag on landing.
Dair - Nerfed. I believe it's got a little bit higher priority and hitbox. However, the last hit launches and it launches them quite a lot so unless they only have 20% or less after the dair hits, you cannot combo from it. This coupled with the nerfed second jump greatly diminishes the use of dair.

Up B - Extends further away from her body now. However, fastfalling it will cause her to still fall quite slowly. Will have a landing lag animation even if you fastfall it. Auto-sweetspots if below the edge and close enough. Can KO now.
Peach Bomber - Makes her fly forward a greater distance. Will sometimes semi-spike (though the knockback is too small to actually make a difference), faster on startup and cooldown. She'll bounce her upwards now from a hit, but only if it hits a person or Sandbag. Will not bounce off of walls.
Toad - Faster on startup and cooldown. Still too slow. Can KO now (knockback no longer set).
Double Jump - It's so nerfed it's practically inexistent. She gains less vertical distance than Toad is tall.
F-throw - Illogically nerfed. It required 150-170% to KO in Melee. Now it requires much more.
Bthrow - Nerfed. Less knockback. I think the opponent faces away from Peach after being launched away, but this doesn't actually matter since you can now grab the ledge even with your back turned to it.
Uthrow - Too much knockback to combo or chaingrab off of it. To little knockback to KO.
Dthrow - Not that comboable. Especially not at anything above 60%.
Dashing - She dashes faster now.
Item tossing has been nerfed - The distance she can throw items (including turnips) now has been nerfed greatly.
Beam-sword (hers) has been nerfed - No range on anything.
Stichface - Greatly diminished knockback.
Bob-Ombs - Nerfed. Diminished knockback.

~~~ No Float canceling ~~~

Please tell me if I forgot anything and I will add it.
good......ok i have few things to say....
did they make any thing new about her you know like pulling a Pokeball or something and about the Bob-Ombs....you said it's nerfed in melee it did about 34% if i wasn't
wrong...the item tossing is nerfed aswell?....well we can't count on the turnips anymore
and about the beam sword how can it be nerfed i don't think that there is any diffrent between .....
the Sword and the ones she take .....oh yeah and her Double Jump i saw alot of Peach
players videos and it's ok i don't say that they didn't nerfed it and i can see that her
bomber attack is weak in a weird way in melee it did 18% but now 15% it has been nerfed
aswell but it did bounce off of walls in Snake's stage and her grabs are pretty much nerfed
too but i don't think she is that bad at all

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, you can still only pull out the same things as in Melee.

Tossing distance and speed has been nerfed. Catching has been buffed.

One_With_Sumthing

Smash Apprentice
I hate peach.
=shotdead=
'K, seriously though, I really do hate peach [probably posted in the wrong forum]. My friend plays as him in melee. Imagine the horror.

I'm actually kinda happy that peach has been nerfed a bit though, maybe now he'll try a different character - probably not.
Ah, well, such is life.

HAMnEGGS

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this was mentioned, but I was still able to float cancel with Peach. You have to be a little bit higher up on the float and FF whatever attack you're doing. If you float at a low height, it won't float cancel.

This is how it has been for me at lease, can someone confirm?

Firekid2

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this was mentioned, but I was still able to float cancel with Peach. You have to be a little bit higher up on the float and FF whatever attack you're doing. If you float at a low height, it won't float cancel.

This is how it has been for me at lease, can someone confirm?
*facepalm*

Even if you don't float, it will still lag like that.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
A bunch of Peach's aerials auto-cancel now. It's especially easy to get the auto-cancel timing with Peach because her floating lets you practically control when you land. Mistiming the auto-cancel will usually result in severe punishment, though.

Top Bottom