• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Peach - An in-depth look at Peach in Brawl

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't care if some people have posted disjointed tidbits about Peach before, this will be a thread which will discuss all of the changes made to Peach in Brawl.

A companion thread would be the one with the video (I made) of Peach's moveset in order to visualize the changes, though I forgot to do the Bair while not floating and Bthrow. I'll fix that come Thursday).

Jab - It now launches the opponent even at low percentages (although it doesn't launch them that high). As crouch canceling is now out, you no longer have to fear them CC:ing her jab and punishing her.
U-tilt - Is just as fast as the old U-tilt, is a great anti-air. However, the Hitbox is mostly in her upper arm and above, so it will whiff on short standing foes (like Kirby, Meta-Knight, possibly Pit, etc.). It's quite strong, but not as strong as Upsmash. The range and priority is kinda better (in Melee, her head was invincible).
D-tilt - Faster, but since Dash Canceling is out and her D-tilt doesn't really have that great a range nor is it as fast as a lot of other D-tilts, it's virtually useless now (you can't dash cancel into a D-tilt, you have to somehow get close enough for it to hit or bait them into running into it).
Dash Attack - Two hit combo. First hit has little knockback and will knock them into the 2nd hit. Easy to DI because of this. Not a guaranteed combo-starter even without DI. Will knock them too far away once they hit the 30-40%-mark.
Dsmash - Nerfed into infinity. No CC, so the opponent can't CC it to receive the full damage at any percent. A full direct hit will inflict, like, 21% at most. Has virtually no knockback (will not KO in Sudden Death), has a reduced hitbox. The only "Good" change is that she now crouches lower when she does it, so high attacks will miss >_>'.
Fsmash - All three fsmashes have been buffed. Will kill at lower %s, especially the Frying Pan which is still mostly a vertical KO:er. Still not nearly as strong as to be considered "strong KO-moves".
Nair - Reduced priority, length and range.
Fair - Faster on both startup and cool-down. Still not as fast as most Fairs (Sheik, Marth, Fox, Falco, pretty much anyone else in the game).
Upair - I believe it's slightly stronger, the motion is also bigger and it reaches further up from Peach's body than in Melee (she kicks higher).
Bair - Two hits (undiable). Bair will make Peach move a great distance behind her, extending it a lot backwards now. Virtually no lag on landing.
Dair - Nerfed. I believe it's got a little bit higher priority and hitbox. However, the last hit launches and it launches them quite a lot so unless they only have 20% or less after the dair hits, you cannot combo from it. This coupled with the nerfed second jump greatly diminishes the use of dair.

Up B - Extends further away from her body now. However, fastfalling it will cause her to still fall quite slowly. Will have a landing lag animation even if you fastfall it. Auto-sweetspots if below the edge and close enough. Can KO now.
Peach Bomber - Makes her fly forward a greater distance. Will sometimes semi-spike (though the knockback is too small to actually make a difference), faster on startup and cooldown. She'll bounce her upwards now from a hit, but only if it hits a person or Sandbag. Will not bounce off of walls.
Toad - Faster on startup and cooldown. Still too slow. Can KO now (knockback no longer set).
Double Jump - It's so nerfed it's practically inexistent. She gains less vertical distance than Toad is tall.
F-throw - Illogically nerfed. It required 150-170% to KO in Melee. Now it requires much more.
Bthrow - Nerfed. Less knockback. I think the opponent faces away from Peach after being launched away, but this doesn't actually matter since you can now grab the ledge even with your back turned to it.
Uthrow - Too much knockback to combo or chaingrab off of it. To little knockback to KO.
Dthrow - Not that comboable. Especially not at anything above 60%.
Dashing - She dashes faster now.
Item tossing has been nerfed - The distance she can throw items (including turnips) now has been nerfed greatly.
Beam-sword (hers) has been nerfed - No range on anything.
Stichface - Greatly diminished knockback.
Bob-Ombs - Nerfed. Diminished knockback.

~~~ No Float canceling ~~~

Please tell me if I forgot anything and I will add it.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
This...is rather depressing. Seems to me that Peach lost some of her combo moves while not gaining any real KO power.

And I didn't see anything on her throws.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So...if Peach wants to score a KO, she needs to use her FSmash, her Parasol (o_O), or her USmash (presumably, I just noticed you didn't mention that either). That...does not bode well imo. And I'm still wondering why they felt the need to nerf her jump, of all things.

EDIT: Just thought of something else. Can the Peach Bomber sweetspot the ledge?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
So...if Peach wants to score a KO, she needs to use her FSmash, her Parasol (o_O), or her USmash (presumably, I just noticed you didn't mention that either). That...does not bode well imo. And I'm still wondering why they felt the need to nerf her jump, of all things.

EDIT: Just thought of something else. Can the Peach Bomber sweetspot the ledge?
Fair, Fsmash, Parasol at high percentages, Toad at high percentages (with high, I mean 150%+ and with the parasol, they need to be off the ground), upsmash (though it's slightly weaker now), Bair.

Those are pretty much her options.

I don't remember, I think Peach Bomber might be able to sweetspot the ledge. It'll test it out on Thursday.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
so her bomber is weak now?
It's been buffed. It just lost its ability to wall bomb

and what about her Ftilt?

and wait, doesn't her Utilt have more priority and range?

all and all, I believe she's considered fair and well balanced. In Melee she was ****ing gay.

Oh yeah, you gotta mention her running speed, rolling speed, how fast she techs walls, and other stuff in general.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's been buffed. It just lost its ability to wall bomb

and what about her Ftilt?

and wait, doesn't her Utilt have more priority and range?

all and all, I believe she's considered fair and well balanced. In Melee she was ****ing gay.

Oh yeah, you gotta mention her running speed, rolling speed, how fast she techs walls, and other stuff in general.
The Peach Bomber's buff is negligible as it's still too slow to actually use other than as a "Surprise"-move but even then people can just dodge it.

Her U-tilt has more priority and range than her old one, only it's ground-hitbox is smaller.

Will add in the other stuff you just mentioned. "How fast she wall techs" isn't an issue though as all characters wall tech at the same speed.

Also, I will only cover differences. If a move is virtually the same, I won't cover it.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
The Peach Bomber's buff is negligible as it's still too slow to actually use other than as a "Surprise"-move but even then people can just dodge it.

Her U-tilt has more priority and range than her old one, only it's ground-hitbox is smaller.

Will add in the other stuff you just mentioned. "How fast she wall techs" isn't an issue though as all characters wall tech at the same speed.

Also, I will only cover differences. If a move is virtually the same, I won't cover it.
Oh, I see. So her rolling and Ftilt is the same as in Melee?

and...when I'm looking at this, I feel we can all do lots of damage if we play with her right. I mean, there's no reason to quit on her unless you liked being gay on Melee.

I know her Fthrow and several of her other moves could be DIed, but we can still win with her if we try really hard.

The Dsmash and the Dair can still act as shield stunners, right? (like, it could hurt their shield)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The Dsmash and the Dair can still act as shield stunners, right? (like, it could hurt their shield)
No and no.

The Dair lags so much (moreso than in Melee) that they can punish you if you try Dairing into something else.

The Dsmash barely eats away any shied.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
No and no.

The Dair lags so much (moreso than in Melee) that they can punish you if you try Dairing into something else.

The Dsmash barely eats away any shied.
......Huh.

That kinda sucks, but oh well lol

Anyway my last question is that what do you think of Peach in general. Like, what do you think of her buffs and nerfs? Do you think she'll stand a chance against some or several characters?

....do you at least like her new frilly dress? =D

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
dtilt kills at high percentages lol.

I like dair though it's not bad, I find it most useful to do OoS.

TheFlyingDonkey

Smash Rookie
taking peach into account how do you think she would fair in professional 2v2 matches yuna? or might it be a little early to tell? i would greatly appriciate your opinion on the matter =D

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I don't care if some people have posted disjointed tidbits about Peach before, this will be a thread which will discuss all of the changes made to Peach in Brawl.

A companion thread would be the one with the video (I made) of Peach's moveset in order to visualize the changes, though I forgot to do the Bair while not floating and Bthrow. I'll fix that come Thursday).

Jab - It now launches the opponent even at low percentages (although it doesn't launch them that high). As crouch canceling is now out, you no longer have to fear them CC:ing her jab and punishing her.
U-tilt - Is just as fast as the old U-tilt, is a great anti-air. However, the Hitbox is mostly in her upper arm and above, so it will whiff on short standing foes (like Kirby, Meta-Knight, possibly Pit, etc.). It's quite strong, but not as strong as Upsmash. The range and priority is kinda better (in Melee, her head was invincible).
D-tilt - Faster, but since Dash Canceling is out and her D-tilt doesn't really have that great a range nor is it as fast as a lot of other D-tilts, it's virtually useless now (you can't dash cancel into a D-tilt, you have to somehow get close enough for it to hit or bait them into running into it).
Dash Attack - Two hit combo. First hit has little knockback and will knock them into the 2nd hit. Easy to DI because of this. Not a guaranteed combo-starter even without DI. Will knock them too far away once they hit the 30-40%-mark.
Dsmash - Nerfed into infinity. No CC, so the opponent can't CC it to receive the full damage at any percent. A full direct hit will inflict, like, 21% at most. Has virtually no knockback (will not KO in Sudden Death), has a reduced hitbox. The only "Good" change is that she now crouches lower when she does it, so high attacks will miss >_>'.
Fsmash - All three fsmashes have been buffed. Will kill at lower %s, especially the Frying Pan which is still mostly a vertical KO:er. Still not nearly as strong as to be considered "strong KO-moves".
Nair - Reduced priority, length and range.
Fair - Faster on both startup and cool-down. Still not as fast as most Fairs (Sheik, Marth, Fox, Falco, pretty much anyone else in the game).
Upair - I believe it's slightly stronger, the motion is also bigger and it reaches further up from Peach's body than in Melee (she kicks higher).
Bair - Bair will make Peach move a great distance behind her, extending it a lot backwards now. Virtually no lag on landing.
Dair - Nerfed. I believe it's got a little bit higher priority and hitbox. However, the last hit launches and it launches them quite a lot so unless they only have 20% or less after the dair hits, you cannot combo from it. This coupled with the nerfed second jump greatly diminishes the use of dair.
Stichface - Greatly diminished knockback.
Up B - Extends further away from her body now. However, fastfalling it will cause her to still fall quite slowly. Will have a landing lag animation even if you fastfall it. Auto-sweetspots if below the edge and close enough. Can KO now.
Peach Bomber - Makes her fly forward a greater distance. Will sometimes semi-spike (though the knockback is too small to actually make a difference), faster on startup and cooldown. She'll bounce her upwards now from a hit, but only if it hits a person or Sandbag. Will not bounce off of walls.
Toad - Faster on startup and cooldown. Still too slow. Can KO now (knockback no longer set).
Double Jump - It's so nerfed it's practically inexistent. She gains less vertical distance than Toad is tall.
F-throw - Illogically nerfed. It required 150-170% to KO in Melee. Now it requires much more.
Bthrow - Nerfed. Less knockback. I think the opponent faces away from Peach after being launched away, but this doesn't actually matter since you can now grab the ledge even with your back turned to it.
Uthrow - Too much knockback to combo or chaingrab off of it. To little knockback to KO.
Dthrow - Not that comboable. Especially not at anything above 60%.
Dashing - She dashes faster now.
~~~ No Float canceling ~~~

Please tell me if I forgot anything and I will add it.
Wow you make Peach seem so horrible now with this review....
I'm still maining her though..

Niko_K

Smash Master
I find one of the only true disadvantages for peach is her horrible falling speed. Peaches ground game is excellent, keeping your opponent away from you with peach is a breeze. Your ftilt has tons of ranch, and you can throw and glide toss turnips, slaps also have a 2 frame start up lag and the second slap has more range then the first. Shes a really great character and the bomber is absolutely amazing for chasing ground recoverys with the slingshot bomber,

<3 Peach

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
When you forcefully try to balance characters and your name is Sakurai, the character will end up Mid Tier or Low Tier. It's, like, the law.

So your saying that's where Peach stands as of now?? D:

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
Mid Tier isn't too bad, Peach was the last rank in high tier in Melee... it'd at least be nice if she was 1st ranked on mid tier... or the top 3 of mid tier if not higher... I'm hoping for high tier but... meh...

Smash Ace
You're right, we should wait for the game to come out to form opinions ourselves... but seeing the opinions of those who've played the game already shouldn't be seen as COMPLETELY useless... we should take it to consideration at least a little bit right?

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
I find one of the only true disadvantages for peach is her horrible falling speed. Peaches ground game is excellent, keeping your opponent away from you with peach is a breeze. Your ftilt has tons of ranch, and you can throw and glide toss turnips, slaps also have a 2 frame start up lag and the second slap has more range then the first. Shes a really great character and the bomber is absolutely amazing for chasing ground recoverys with the slingshot bomber,

<3 Peach
For the love of GOD don't do that. <3, do you know how lame it is? It's like I do this with Mario or Link.

EX: Yay Mario <3
Yay Link <3
Yay Wario <3

Now you know. Don't associate <3 with Peach. It's childish and digusting. ::ohwell:

Firekid2

Smash Apprentice
That's just the fact that theres less lag on the attacks. If you came down normally, it would lag exactly same way. >_>

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Don't Diss Yuna. Just because's he's or she's the only unbiased Peach user. I mean most people say she's a goddess... Well I say she's a regular Smash Bros. Just like Mario or Link, being a girl doesn't change things.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Well, you may not (seen your thread on COUNTERING PEACH) but others do... That's low and sick.

Smash Ace
I don't see what's so sick about it... and don't come here starting stuff, we are Peach fans... we like Peach... we play as Peach... we express our fandom... deal with it. =/

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
But it's creepy. What if there was a die hard Mario fan, but his comments we're... Below the belt?

Smash Ace
What do you mean by below the belt? And how is it creepy? What you think I have romantic dreams about Peach or something? Because I don't, and I never will... I just like her as a character and even if I DID like her more it's not really your place to step in and call us psycho and creepy since you have no idea who we even are, you just see a couple of our posts and judge us as if you know what we're really like. =/

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I love Peach as a character which is why I play her...but she really does breed some psycho fans D; truth.

Oh yeah, and Yuna is male.

Top Bottom