• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl model extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
A while back I read that someone suggested getting a t-posed model of a character from Brawl through 3d Ripper + Dolphin, and I'm just wondering if it would be *Acceptable* or whatever to use that same method to rip the original models from games instead of making our own.

For example, I'm trying to rip Kratos' model from God of War by opening a Ps2 emulator through 3d Ripper and extracting his model the easy way.

But I wanted to get some input from the forum before I went too far with this. Especially if it's looked down upon or generally disregarded as a possible option, as I do believe 3d Ripper doesn't capture the bones, so it would take a while to rig the model before animating could begin.

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
you have alot to learn about the 3d ripping, but essentially you won't get anywhere with any PS2 emu.
least with my experiences, the only workable emu is PCSX2. it has compatibility problems, low framerates, and collapses the Zdepth coordinate of anything emulated.

in a nut shell you cannot use 3dripper to get Kratos, especially Tposed. you need someone like Pharrox to hack into the specific file format on the disc.. for someone like him stuff like this can take days, or months sometimes never depending on the complexity of the game formats.

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
@ mariokart64n

This is exactly why I wanted feedback, because I'm a noob at modeling and game mechanics =p Thanks for responding

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
This. Importing as Collada 1.4 gives an error, and 1.3.1 does absolutely nothing. I don't think Blender can do anything with the models. Basically, if you can't buy 3ds (which costs in the triple digits if I remember correctly), you're completely ****ed for model editing. Great to know that being poor has ****ed me over once again.
I haven't been using Pharrox's converter (because there is really little need to import a model), but when I did import models from a different converter I could edit them just fine in Blender.

BigShark, it sounds like you're in object mode, not edit mode. At least that's what I'd say if you were using Blender.

D.B.K.

Smash Ace
NNID
tinyfuses
Apparently torrents aren't the best option. Avg is finding a new infected file every minute and I can't get to any security websites.

Yay me for installing Ubuntu on another partition.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
companies don't want you using their software without you paying.

please do not share with the world how you've done this illegally.
This ^^
Don't be stupid guys.

Apparently torrents aren't the best option. Avg is finding a new infected file every minute and I can't get to any security websites.

Yay me for installing Ubuntu on another partition.
No more torrent talk :D! Kthx.

-DD

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
I haven't been using Pharrox's converter (because there is really little need to import a model), but when I did import models from a different converter I could edit them just fine in Blender.

BigShark, it sounds like you're in object mode, not edit mode. At least that's what I'd say if you were using Blender.
So you could import the CHARACTER models (not the trophy models, which don't have bones) just fine?

Zephron

Smash Ace
So much for getting this done before school started.

Oh well, no hard feelings dude.

Gives me more time to figure out how 3DSMAX works anyway.
(If someone could give me advice or a good tutorial of it I will be forever grateful!)

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
So much for getting this done before school started.

Oh well, no hard feelings dude.

Gives me more time to figure out how 3DSMAX works anyway.
(If someone could give me advice or a good tutorial of it I will be forever grateful!)
Boohoo. I started school two weeks ago. :p

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
it be easier to swap the models, I doubt most here will have a motion capture device just laying around...

we'd likely be able to re-adjust the animations to make the character taller.. etc.. maybe recreate a taunt by hand.. but I seriously doubt anyone here is going to completely replace a character, animations and all.

I'd rather take the easier route and get results..

stickman

Smash Apprentice
it be easier to swap the models, I doubt most here will have a motion capture device just laying around...

we'd likely be able to re-adjust the animations to make the character taller.. etc.. maybe recreate a taunt by hand.. but I seriously doubt anyone here is going to completely replace a character, animations and all.

I'd rather take the easier route and get results..
That's what you would do. I know for sure that when I get my hands on something this incredibly awesome, I am not just going to settle for a skimpy job on one model. I am going all out, new animations, awesome textures, and most importantly, and epic model. I am sure anyone else who is willing to make a model from scratch, like a few I've seen in this thread, is also willing to make a moveset and textures for it as well. (but that is just the way I see it)

Finman702

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. Feel free to call me a moron and move on.

Would it be possible to mix and max animations between characters? I'm gonna guess no because the whole bone issue, but I'm not sure.

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
I recall seeing animation swaps before, but yeah same would apply if we had a tool to import/export animations. although we should be able to swap them, and better adjust the animations to fit better.

@stickman - ha, good luck with all that. I have 6years experience with 3d modeling and animations. unless "this" is your day job, its going to take you alot of time to do all that. by the time you accomplish 1 character, the rest of us will already have 10-20 characters already into the game.

it's been said a million times, but there no sense getting piffy about what the other guy is doing. I'm just giving you my insight on the reality point here. it's not like we are producing a new game here, it's now a individual customization thing. my word is, it'll be easier to swap, rather then to setup IK chains with your model, or importing and tweaking mocap for new animations.

stickman

Smash Apprentice
@stickman - ha, good luck with all that. I have 6years experience with 3d modeling and animations. unless "this" is your day job, its going to take you alot of time to do all that. by the time you accomplish 1 character, the rest of us will already have 10-20 characters already into the game.

it's been said a million times, but there no sense getting piffy about what the other guy is doing. I'm just giving you my insight on the reality point here. it's not like we are producing a new game here, it's now a individual customization thing. my word is, it'll be easier to swap, rather then to setup IK chains with your model, or importing and tweaking mocap for new animations.
I see your point. I'm just getting my opinion out there as well. No doubt it will be time consuming (6 months experience with Blender lol), but it will just make it so much more worth it to say, "Hey I made an entire character that works in Brawl."
Borrowing animations should work great too. I know for one idea I had, I wanted to use Snake's somersault. There is nothing wrong with doing that.
And mocap is starting to sound like a good idea. I didn't even think of that before. :) (anyone have a few ping pong balls lying around haha

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
I can capture if needed for you guys. I have a pretty good capture card, and I wouldn't leak anything. I know trust is hard to come by, but I dont want to ruin my smash rep...well...what little rep I have. lol

Zephron

Smash Ace
I can capture if needed for you guys. I have a pretty good capture card, and I wouldn't leak anything. I know trust is hard to come by, but I dont want to ruin my smash rep...well...what little rep I have. lol

I have a capture card too, just sayin'.

I have 0 experience with these programs though :(
I make high-quality textures, and I have infinite amounts of patience and determination, but making a custom model alone will take me awhile.

But when I do finish it, it's not going to be some skimpy piece of crap.

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
Uh guys... capture cards are for capturing 2D video... not for making animations. I do have a capture card, not that it matters. :-P

Of course, I'm with Zephron on this one. Creating a character without new animations is not really creating a new character, just a skin; the moves make most of the character.

There are multiple solutions. Adjusting existing animations from Brawl until they're unrecognizable or utilizing and adjusting open source animation libraries (there's gotta be some LOL) is one way. And on the other hand, NaturalPoint has a fairly cheap motion capture set and I do have two spare rooms in my house that could be used, if necessary. Or the animations could be done by hand, although it'd take quite some patience.

I'm all for new costumes, too, though. It's not fair Wario's the only person with an alternate costume. ;-)

NaturalPoint's OptiTrack: http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/products/motion-capture/
Unfortunately, body motion capture and facial motion capture are in different devices, but unless we're talking SSE cutscenes (which I don't think anyone here has any intention of doing anytime soon) I doubt there's any need for much fidelity in the facial animations.

Finman702

Smash Journeyman
I would think my school would have mo-cap. I don't know for sure though. And I wouldn't have any idea how to use it XD.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
I was just re assuring everyone I had one, if needed, to record any new models that become imported, if said person had no capture card.

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
So you could import the CHARACTER models (not the trophy models, which don't have bones) just fine?

I could import any model I wanted, but now the bones and everything else don't appear when I import a dae because the plugin is not for my version, I think.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Leaf, yes if you make your own bones and animations. Which you should because otherwise you're limiting yourself to characters that are essentially just 3D texture swaps.
You forget, you need to have the model bones in the first place or you can't mess with the animations. That or you can try to perfectly recreate every bone, but that's only if you're sure you know the ID of every single bone.

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
Havent been on this thread in a while so bear with me. I kind of need an update, Phaarox has successfully put a model into brawl and is now working out bugs and a gui. am I right about this? If ur out there pharrox I humbly ask for a small update,

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the lack of updates recently. I've been really sick for the last few days, so I haven't really done much. Back to work now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom