• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl model extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>_> Well I asked for a .max of Lucario just to see if it would work :3.
<_< I can apply the materials and stuff myself.
-DD

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Because it'd be annoying to have to re-rig the entire thing.

I think taking Melee Model of Roy, putting the head on the Marth Model, fixing up small details to make it more like Roy (Headband, etc), would be the easiest.

Then you just need to make sure all the textures are of the same quality/style.

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
Meh, ive already started megaman, it didnt even occur to me that it could be megaman, but i see it now. I know other people who are making megaman as well. Ugh, well i guess im going to have to strive to make mine the best!

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
we need Roll and megaman, from megaman legends. MUST HAVE.

but if we can't import the animations into say 3dsmax.. we can't easily adjust them. meaning no one but toon link would have a compatible height profile to fit megaman :(

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
Someone offered a few pages back somewhere to give a rough size/poly/etc. estimate to shoot for in making models to import from scratch. I can't find that post to quote it, so I'll just ask. Could you give me that estimate? XD

Apocolypse3000

Smash Cadet
What now? What now is what I'd been trying to find out this whole time: What format should I export them to?

I mean, honestly, this isn't such a hard question to answer, is it?
why not just export it to .fbx or .max like someone mentioned earlier. that wud be grand.

Zephron

Smash Ace
I found ais version 1.3 but whenever I open it, it immediately quits. It does that for all the other versions too.

Could someone please tell me what's wrong or better yet give me a freaking Sheik model.

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, my model is MegaMan. Not the MM from Legends, I just wanted the ability to play with the helmet off, too. :-P I'll try to get Skype set up.

Someone offered a few pages back somewhere to give a rough size/poly/etc. estimate to shoot for in making models to import from scratch. I can't find that post to quote it, so I'll just ask. Could you give me that estimate? XD
Sure. These are from some trophies I extracted:

Ike: 5881 vertices, 6981 faces.
Captain Falcon: 4480 vertices, 6749 faces. - That includes another part from the trophy; some teeth getting knocked out, I think. Not like it adds many, though.
Sheik: 3972 vertices, 6096 faces.
Link: 6263 vertices, 7238 faces.

I just added the vertices part to indicate you can/should get rid of redundant vertices. So I'd say it's safe to go for 6000-7500 faces. If you stick to that, make sure it's all formatted correctly, and do the textures correctly, I'm sure the filesize will be okay.

*Edit*

I meant "redundant vertices," not "redundant faces." But the latter is bad, too. :-P

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
How about .FBX?

Will Maya and Blender also open FBX files?

Anyway, here's FitLucario00.fbx. It should look just fine.
Yea, that displays a model. I need to apply all the textures now...
Can I suggest that you put the downloads up without the skins pre-attached...they search for them in whatever directory you have them in, and it doesn't find them in that directory on my computer, obviously :3!

And I think the shading is going haywire too, because Lucario is all black and I can't add any textures to him and view them. x_x;;
-DD

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
Uh? In what program? I know in Blender you have to change the viewport shading draw type to textured. The default is solid. Lots of 3D editors will have lots of view types where you only really see anything if you set up and define a whole scene. And of course you have to add the textures to the object. I know on the models extracted using earlier tools, it'd disassociate the textures from the meshes.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Uh? In what program? I know in Blender you have to change the viewport shading draw type to textured. The default is solid. Lots of 3D editors will have lots of view types where you only really see anything if you set up and define a whole scene. And of course you have to add the textures to the object. I know on the models extracted using earlier tools, it'd disassociate the textures from the meshes.
3DSmax 2009.

Not sure what to do to get rid of it, I tried everything I could think of...
Maybe I'll just grab Blender?

-DD

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
Uh, sorry I'm tired. I don't think Blender supports .fbx right out of the box. What the heck is that format, anyway? There's probably a plugin for that, though. I've only used Blender for the trophies, and they were opened with the collada importer just fine (there are two importers; only one of them worked). Haven't tried anything with bones yet.

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, my model is MegaMan. Not the MM from Legends, I just wanted the ability to play with the helmet off, too. :-P I'll try to get Skype set up.

Captain Falcon: 4480 vertices, 6749 faces. - That includes another part from the trophy; some teeth getting knocked out, I think. Not like it adds many, though.

I just added the vertices part to indicate you can/should get rid of redundant faces. So I'd say it's safe to go for 6000-7500 faces. If you stick to that, make sure it's all formatted correctly, and do the textures correctly, I'm sure the filesize will be okay.
Aah thank you! That tells me I need to tone down the subsurf a bit. :laugh:

Also, I haven't gotten my .dae blender importer to work yet. But I admittedly gave up after only a few attempts. I'll have to spend moar time figuring it out eventually though, I guess. XD

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman

I just added the vertices part to indicate you can/should get rid of redundant faces. So I'd say it's safe to go for 6000-7500 faces. If you stick to that, make sure it's all formatted correctly, and do the textures correctly, I'm sure the filesize will be okay.
The most detailed model I could find (not that I looked much), was Mr Game and Watch :p, with 8659 vertecies, and 15688 faces. Probably not good to go that high, but I think that's pretty much the upper bound for what Brawl can and can't handle.

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
That's kinda weird and interesting. How far did they think people would zoom in on it? Overzealous modeler. :-P I guess that face limit is only acceptable because Brawl probably uses a simpler shader for G&W... and of course smaller/no textures. I heard the way G&W's textures work is unusual. Personally I don't care to make another character like him and I'd be willing to bet everyone else feels the same way, so I doubt anyone's gonna investigate G&W that much. :)

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
i can't say for the brawl gamewatch guy, but knowing the melee one. it was actually a 3d model, not 2d, as always shown. I found that rather interesting of course, the game actively flattened the poor guy..

..anyway you know that to have a smoother rounder contour of a sphere you must add more polygons. if you only used like 4 polygons, your circle would look like a square. so game and watch had to have more polygons to be able to be flattened, and so he would still look smoothly round.

so know its not foolish that nintendo did this, that is the reason behind it. also take into to consideration, if they did not create a special specific shader for game and watch, they have to fake cellshade, by creating a double inverted mesh around game and watch. basically doubling his poly count by 2.

the game probably doesn't have a limit, but obviously the more polygons, the more the frames are going to lag rendering. 5000 - 9000 sounds good, but I'm sure the game would have no issues running a 15 000 model.

ohwell guess we'll find out soon enough what we can and cannot do.

>BTW your first time model is looking pretty good, you've placed alot of extra unneeded polygons. but otherwise the shape of the head is surprisingly well done for a first try.

edit
{here is an old pic of my very first model. you can't see the face that well but its was really foreign looking}

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
Pretty good stuff, your first model.

Well, it was my first model for Brawl. I called it my first because I plan on doing more for Brawl. I've done more in the past. Most of them are machines, though. So it's pretty different than organic objects.

Actually, now that I think about it, they probably have all of G&W's "animation" frames individually modeled since you'd need hundreds of bones and intricate animations to get the kind of shapes his body shifts into.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>_> I think if you save it as a .chr or a .max there won't be any errors aside from the inability to locate the materials.
-DD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom