• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl meant to be a party game? An in depth analysis considering both POV's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Wavedashing allows for fast, safe ground travel in which a character has access to their full moveset. Airborne characters have fewer offensive and defensive options available to them than grounded characters. Therefore, the existence of wavedashing strengthens characters who already have powerful ground options, while limiting characters who were designed around their aerial game. Taking this out does not limit anyone; it was never character-specific before. It was simply a required mechanical input on every character to be able to play at a competitive level. It's removal makes higher-end gameplay more accessable to less-mechanically adept players, and changes character balance somewhat.
You don't know what you're talking about. Wavedashing incurs 10 frames of lag with perfect timing and with a few exceptions (Luigi, ICs) is generally slower than dash-dancing. You say wavedashing strengthens characters' ground games and limits their aerial games. It does strengthen some characters' ground games, for instance ICs, who would be complete trash without wavedashing. But to suggest wavedashing limits aerial gameplay is a misunderstanding of the mechanics. Indeed, a consequence of the wavedash mechanic is wavelanding, which speeds up the aerial game of several characters, such as Ganon.

Unless you're referring to the new trip system, this seems to still be present from everything I've seen while playing Brawl.
Again, you don't know what you're talking about. Dash dancing is completely gone. You can't even run in the opposite direction you're facing. You have to turn around, then run. You can do a kind of pseudo dash dance with fox trotting but dash dancing in Melee form is essentially gone.

Another gameplay change you disagree with. Why is "less lag" an issue on moves? Because it means you may not be able to recover in time to chain together a combo, or if you whiff, you're vulnerable to attack yourself? That simply makes mind games more important, and reduces turtling and required tech inputs necessary to play the game. Less turtling and more mind games doesn't sound limiting to me.
Increased aerial lag increases turtling, obviously, as approaches are limited. Since combos are less extant, simple damage buildup via projectile camping is more viable.

Making edge-guarding less effective improves characters with powerful finishers that can knock a character beyond recovery range without edge-guarding. Again, another gameplay change that affects character balance and how the game is played, but is not in and of itself limiting gameplay options. It's simply replacing the previous metagame strat with a new one.
Of course it's limiting. Where previously edgeguarding was necessary to finish a kill, now a move either KOs or it doesn't. A criticial area of the Melee metagame is now absent. How is this not limiting, by definition?

The lag is intended. If it wasn't, those lag frames wouldn't be there and there would be no need for L-Cancelling to begin with. The removal of some combo options seems to be intentional as well, with the shift in gameplay focus away from combos and edge-guarding towards successful mind games and finishers.
What's intentional and isn't has no relevance in the realm of competitive gaming. Whether I was meant to be able to drillshine characters across the stage in Melee doesn't change the fact that I can.

A common theme among your post is the idea that the supremacy of defense should be present. Wavedashing, JCing, L-Cancelling, things that allow a character to safely establish positioning or attack without fear of unsafe frames. Perhaps, just a thought, they WANT you to be vulnerable if you are airborne and under attack.
No doubt that's the idea.

Well now that we've narrowed that list down to 0, you'll see that SSB was designed as a party game. It was never intended to be a serious, competitive fighter. Look at all the things that were removed that you're complaining are limiting gameplay. Now that we've drawn up the list, let's ask ourselves - how many of those are glitches, and how many were intended design choices? Short list of intended design choices, don't you think? The things that made gameplay deep in Melee were accidents. The game is marketed by Nintendo for the Nintendo demographic, which is a younger audience who enjoys seeing first-party Nintendo characters like Mario and Link show up in games.
I think you're right about Melee's depth being accidental. Frankly I'm not surprised at all how Brawl turned out. What I am surprised at is how many people are defending it as being competitive.

This target audience doesn't care how much depth the game has. They play it to have fun. Losing isn't fun. While the better player will still win in Brawl, the skill gap between a casual player and a hardcore player is much smaller with most of the so-called ATs removed from the game.

Nintendo already made their money off of you. You bought the game. They could care less whether you put it down within a week or play it every day for seven years. If and when they release another Smash game, it'll still sell to their target audience. Again, it has Mario and Link and Pikachu. It's fun to play with four people while drunk. Regardless of your opinion about whether it's a failure as a game or not, it succeeded from a sales standpoint. The hardcore community is a very small demographic for this type of game.
I didn't buy Brawl and probably won't buy another Nintendo product as long as I live because Nintendo doesn't care about gamers like me. Most of us here have enough brand loyalty not to punish Nintendo when they pull some bull**** like ruining an awesome franchise.

From a business standpoint, successfully catering to the largest target audience is good business.
You're right of course. The tournament Smash scene is a very small percentage of Smashers and unfortunately it doesn't hurt Nintendo at all to **** all over us. But that just shows a general fault of capitalism in the kinds of products it creates. It doesn't mean Brawl is a good game because it's sold a lot of copies.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Spqr i was going to dissect ur post, but shai halud already did that.

thumbs is prolly referring to me lol we were at a fest thursday night and he wanted to play melee and i refused cuz not losing to anyone in brawl is more fun than not losing to anyone in melee

Sirami

Smash Cadet
You know what, I'm sick of these arguments:

Melee was designed to be a party game too, but we made it competitive. We're doing the same thing for Brawl.

I see this all the time, every time a new game comes out, and the new game is always embraced. This won't be different for Brawl. I'm assuming (wrongly btw) that just because a game is embraced, that it's better (competitively?).

It took a long time for Melee to become deep. Brawl will become deep in time

The reason people made Melee competitive is because folks realized over time that the game was really deep. In the eyes of the rest of the fighting game community, Melee was just another party game, until people saw that it was a good competitive game. Once everybody saw it for what it is, it was embraced. That's not the case this time. Now everybody's embracing Brawl, because it's Smash, the sequel to a great game. People are so desperate to love it, that they simply won't see that it's extremely likely that it won't be worth embracing. This kind of mentality has happened before, with the transition from TTT to T4. T4 came out, and the majority of Tekken players stopped playing TTT, and switched to T4, which will always be remembered as "the stinker" of the Tekken series, in the eyes of most competitive Tekken players. There were a ton of people that pointed out legit reasons as to why T4 wasn't nearly as good as TTT, but nobody listened. Almost everybody embraced it, brought it to the major tournaments that it really didn't belong in, and a lot of people to this day are disappointed with what it did to the Tekken community. Honestly, the Tekken community here in the US has never regained the strength it had before T4 came out.

TTT > T4 : SC2 > SC3 : And just speculating: T6 looks like it could be very bad at a competitive level, compared to T5.

And since somebody mentioned shooters up there, ever heard of Quake 3 and 4? This is almost a mirror example to the scene now with Melee and Brawl. ID clearly made an attempt to market their game to casual gamers, and a broader audience. They toned down the "advanced techs" in Q3, and just made the game easier to play. When the game first came out there were a lot of good players that saw Q4 for what it was. Again, when people complained about Q4, many pro players didn't listen, and were ready to embrace Q4 regardless of the complaints.

"Give it time. You'll get used to it." is what a lot of people said about Q4. Well, a lot of Q3 people switched over to Painkiller, CS, or some other shooter, while some tried to make everything they could out of Q4. Eventually it was realized that Q4 is a game that honestly, almost anybody that's decent at shooters can excel at, and because of the physics changes the first kill ends up being so important that it's simply not a good game when it comes to testing skill. What happened? Well, nobody plays Q4 anymore. Not nearly as many people play Q3. The Quake community moved on, for the most part.

This kind of thing sucks big time for Smash players. If people embrace Brawl, and the community splits, the Smashers don't have a "Painkiller" or "CS" to switch to, as there's no other fighter out there like Smash.

Hands down, Brawl wasn't designed to be competitive, at all. If it ends up being a great competitive game, it'll be an accident again. It's not safe to rely on accidents that might happen.

Now I'm not saying "don't play Brawl", but what I am saying is, "don't stop playing Melee"! If a whole lot of players drop Melee now, which is clearly a gem of a fighter, for something that is designed to be a nothing more than a hunk of coal (fun to burn, but doesn't last too long), well, you're just hoping that there's a gem of equal value in that lump of coal.

There is always a chance I guess.

Look, change in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but when all changes point to the fact that the game was designed specifically to not cater to you and your preferences, it's probably not going to be that great a game for you. If somebody invents Chess 2, now with only two easy to understand pieces (pawns and rooks), only now pawns move and capture like the King used to, and the goal is no longer checkmate, but to take all of the other guy's pieces...... well.... I doubt that pro Chess players would even try to embrace it. Then again, Chess players are pretty smart.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Oh ****, I thought Sirami was using the arguments he bolded instead of countering them. I already had my whole post typed out, so I'm just going to post my rebuttals to those arguments as well. You can ignore this post if you wish.

Melee being competitive was a fluke, and what plank is arguing is that the Brawl team deliberately spat on our attempts to have fun competitively with smash bros.

Also, it took a while for the Melee metagame to evolve because everyone was fresh from SSB, there was little tourney experience, and before, there wasn't a central site to gather all intelligence like smashboards.

We have so much more experience now, we know what to look for, and information gets distributed much faster.

Melee didn't "become" deep. We uncovered its depth, slowly. With Brawl, we have better resources and chances to uncover its depth, but so far, we haven't uncovered much, which leads to the conclusion of many people that Brawl isn't as deep as Melee.

blerb

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how it might be a party game. just because it has random aspects doesn't make it a party game. it justs means it's a game where anything can happen.

I'd give the game some more time to 'open up', wait for some people to find some techs and then judge. even if it isn't competitive based on Melee standards doesn't mean it won't be competitive at all.

DanceTheSpears

Smash Rookie
I don't see how it might be a party game. just because it has random aspects doesn't make it a party game. it justs means it's a game where anything can happen.
I see how you might think that way. In fact, that's what I first thought when I heard about tournament rules. "You mean they play tournaments without items? That's stupid! Items are a part of the game! They're obviously not good at the game!"

But essentially, random aspects of a game mean that no matter how good or bad you are, you still aren't completely responsible for how you performed. Think about how cheated you feel when you run just slightly off screen in Melee, only to run into a walking bob-omb. Frustrating, eh? Especially when you were only at 87% and that knocked you off, and you're buddy was at 327%. Now think of how pissed you'll be when he claims he's the better gamer, when he really only won because that was the random item that spawned there off screen. Now imagine that not only is he gloating, but someone just handed him a check because he's the "better" smasher.

Scenarios like that are why random factors tend to only be included if the game is just for casual, lighthearted fun; rather then experienced, skillful competitive fun. For the record, both types of fun are just as fun. Any game that you can drink a few beers with, play sloppy, and still have a good time is PROBABLY a casual party game.

But moving on to what I was going to say...

I feel too old to be registering for a first post, on the twelth page, of a heated thread.

There is something that I feel has not been mentioned (yes, I've read all eleven or so pages, but if I missed it, point it out) which may lend credibility to the "Brawl is designed as a party game" theory.

Put simply, I can not see a reason, from either a business and design perspective, to remove the ability to perform certain advance techs. Here's why.

1) Beginners don't notice them. Seriously. How many people absolutely love SSBM and have no idea what a shffl' is? Wave-huh..and why is that useful? Unless a casual player encounters a competitive player (or searches youtube) they're gaming experience will never be "lessened" by the inclusion of advanced techniques.

2) Removing them doesn't help casual players, or level the playing field enough that a casual player has a chance against a competitive player. Let's be honest here. If you're a competitive player, you're usually going to beat a casual player, without or without the normal tools. Even with items on. Same goes for casual players. You might win once or twice, but usually? Nope.

So why take them out? It doesn't make sense to me. Unless, as a the designer of the game, you feel like people are taking advantage of your game engine to play it in a way that you did not intend. They took your immaculate wooden sculpture and used it to have a nice cheery bonfire. Can it do that? Yes. Did you want them to? No. Next sculpture you release will be carved from stone! Let's see them try to burn it now!

And that's where the difference between casual and competive players enters the discussion. There seems to be this reccurring objection.

I'd give the game some more time to 'open up', wait for some people to find some techs and then judge. even if it isn't competitive based on Melee standards doesn't mean it won't be competitive at all.
Or in other words...

Q) Isn't it possible that Brawl simply hasn't been played enough to discover all the cool new tricks?

A) Yes, it is POSSIBLE. Likely? No. Remember the example of the sculpture. Casual players look at the Melee Sculpture and the Brawl sculpture and see two extremely similiar works of art. That's because they're enjoying them on a different level then competitive players. Casual players aren't the ones huddled in tight circles outside of the ring of spectators, asking each "How on earth are we supposed to get a fire going when the new one's made of metal?"

Eventually people might figure out that if you run enough eletric current through the right metal and do it the right way, it'll heat up and maybe set things on fire. If so, great, we have a brand new way of making fire and just had to figure that out.

But why not just make the second scuplture out of wood to begin with, if it already met everyone's needs that way?

Now, since this is supposed to be an objective thread...

Keep reading even after you finish this next sentence. I can see that it might be possible, though farfetched, that the designers attempted to radically alter gameplay in a manner that would bring greater depth and complexity to the game.

Keep reading, again, even after you finish reading this next sentence. SSB really was designed as a "casual" game. Keeping that in mind, SSBM also had within it the capability to spawn an extremely competitive sub-culture. However, that competiveness required altering or limiting the game to bring out these competive aspects. 1 v 1 matches, no items, on levels that favor individual characters as little as possible. Tournament style play is really just a "house rules" variant that attempts to limit randomness and bias as much as possible. In a situation like this, it is no wonder that we have tiers (or there are no tiers, everyone's equally special) that reflect only a few viable options for competive play. Tournament rules change a casual game into a competitive one, and the balance is broken because of it.

Balance is in issue in all games, but when you alter the purpose of a game, and develop custom rulesets for it, you risk exacerbating those balance issues. It may be that the new design of brawl appears dumbed down and stupid because it is attempting to balance characters in such a way to make more of them viable in competitive play. Whether or not the attempt is successful might remain to be seen. However, if the new design is an attempt to create a balanced competitive game, and a fun casual game, that is extremely important. If that's the case, all that anyone could say is "This new system didn't work, next time give us one that does. I'm gonna go back to Melee til then, I appreciate the effort."

IMHO:

Random tripping is basically the middle finger to competitive play. Essentially the randomness of items enforced by the game designers. That could just be my "ground-centric metagame" talking, but I highly doubt it.

- End Note: It's probably not my metagame talking, because I don't have one. I'm purely a casual player, with no interest in being hardworking enough to be competitive. But then again, if you didn't know that already, you're probably a casual player too. Awesome. Let's exchange friend codes. Lag seems to work in my favor.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
YES. Come to Smashpocalypse, a Melee haven forever! Melee monthlies at UPenn.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=119741
Cool, I'll definitely come to one of those once I improve a bit more. I finally executed a combo with c falcon that I've been attempting for months: down air, n air, then u air to knee in one jump for the kill against a marth. May not be a big deal to the better players, but I was ecstatic.

and yes, plank, I was refering to you lol. PLAY ME IN MELEE DAMMIT

Pixelation500

Smash Apprentice
i got banned (new account), originally pronstarpwn
This game is NOT a party game.

I will provide details... as to why it may just possibly be the most competitive game ever made.

Lets take an example..

EXAMPLE!!!::::

Okay... so I am playing Banks and Thorn both of whom are amazing at melee, and very good at brawl as well.
Now it was my first time ever playing Brawl, and they had been playing for a week nonstop.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me vs Thorn : Thorn pulls out his falco who he has dedicated most of his time to.. Now wat he didn't expect was my metaknight, which runs off pure skill and mindgames.

I start off with a barrage of f-airs... BANG BANG.

Thorn attempts to laser camp me.. But i am too skilled son !!

I jump over his lasers... and come in with another barrage of f-airs!! BANG SON GET OWNED

I then proceed to spam the same move for the entire game and end up winning.

Its becuz my metaknigt is PURE SKILL.. and MAJOR MINDGRAINES

Thorn claims this game takes NO SKILL.. But i counter with... "You're just mad cuz my metaknight OWNS U, FRIGGEN KA-NOOB!!!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pixel vs Banks:

After Banks witnessed my amazing METAKNIGHT in action, he attempts to COUNTERPICK with Shiek.

I won't have it like that mister!! I know my metaknight is simply so skillful, that I am going to completely sandbag by spamming f-air the entire match.

BANG BANG. Shiek is having trouble attacking me, becuz he cannot combo!! muhahha

I continue my spam, Banks can't get by it. "WAT A KA-NOOB" I proclaim

I am so friggen c-ocky with metaknighit, I friggen jump off the friggen stage, and friggen hit him wit a POWERFUL f-air that rockets him. I time it SO PERFECTLY WITH VERY HIGH LVL OF SKILL.

And i am able to beat Bank's shiek.

-----------------------------------------------------

Although I feel Bank's and Thorn are very SKILLED.. they are still not able to tackle my Metaknight.

Even tho I know Metaknight is potentially a very bad character, my SKILL prevails and leads me to VICTORY.

---------------------------------------------

I feel this game take more skill than Melee, and I think I right. Prove me wong. I dare u.

Fletch

Smash Master

I will provide details... as to why it may just possibly be the most competitive game ever made.

Lets take an example..

Okay... so I am playing Banks and Thorn both of whom are amazing at melee, and very good at brawl as well.
Now it was my first time ever playing Brawl, and they had been playing for a week nonstop.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me vs Thorn : Thorn pulls out his falco who he has dedicated most of his time to.. Now wat he didn't expect was my metaknight, which runs off pure skill and mindgames.

I jump over his lasers... and come in with another barrage of f-airs!! BANG SON GET OWNED

Thorn claims this game takes NO SKILL.. But i counter with... "You're just mad cuz my metaknight OWNS U, FRIGGEN KA-NOOB!!!"

Pixel vs Banks:

After Banks witnessed my amazing METAKNIGHT in action, he attempts to COUNTERPICK with Shiek.

I won't have it like that mister!! I know my metaknight is simply so skillful, that I am going to completely sandbag by spamming f-air the entire match.

BANG BANG. Shiek is having trouble attacking me, becuz he cannot combo!! muhahha

I am so friggen c-ocky with metaknighit, I friggen jump off the friggen stage, and friggen hit him wit a POWERFUL f-air that rockets him. I time it SO PERFECTLY WITH VERY HIGH LVL OF SKILL.

Although I feel Bank's and Thorn are very SKILLED.. they are still not able to tackle my Metaknight.

Even tho I know Metaknight is potentially a very bad character, my SKILL prevails and leads me to VICTORY.

I feel this game take more skill than Melee, and I think I right. Prove me wong. I dare u.
I guess we were wrong; Brawl is more competitive than Melee. Great post, I was laughing pretty hard reading it.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Tripping is terrible, but for nearly every other thing you stated, it doesn't make the game less competitive, it just makes it different then Melee. For example, things like wave dash or dashdancing don't make the game less competitive, it just makes it different from Melee.

Also, @ Brasil, Meta Knight will surely be top tier, along with Marth, Ike, Pit, and maybe to a lesser extent, Diddy.

Edit: Accidentally said Brawl instead of Melee at one point.

Fletch

Smash Master
Tripping is terrible, but for nearly every other thing you stated, it doesn't make the game less competitive, it just makes it different then Melee. For example, things like wave dash or dashdancing don't make the game less competitive, it just makes it different from Melee.

Also, @ Brasil, Meta Knight will surely be top tier, along with Marth, Ike, Pit, and maybe to a lesser extent, Diddy.

Edit: Accidentally said Brawl instead of Melee at one point.
Of course it makes the game different, it just makes it different by removing potential options, and thus the game just feels watered down... This has been stated over and over again, read the thread before posting something irrelevant next time.

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman

Lets take an example..

Pixel vs Banks:

Many of you reading may think this is a troll post, but the sad truth is that I was there, along with pixel, banks and th0rn, and Pixel's post is only a slight exaggeration at most. The only thing brawl has accomplished is limit the competitive smash community in general.

My predictions for the future of the Smash community.
Let me explain, very few new talent will enter melee because brawl is out and being the newer game brawl will attract all the newer talent. So, what MIGHT happen is that the melee community will stay the same size and gradually shrink. Unless Nintendo makes a direct sequel to melee (melee 2.0) or somebody makes a crazy good game cube emulator smash's future as a competitive game will be short lived. As far as Brawl tournaments go, I doubt they will last for over 6 years (like melee) and will probably last 6 months at most >.>

P.S. for people dissing me cuz of my low post count and recent join date, I've been going to melee tourneys for the last years (on and off with th0rn and banks) and I had another account name which I no longer use.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
you guys complain too much. just play the game and get good. saying that "its easy to be good" is an ignorant and stupid assumption, i can guarantee you that someone who doesnt make johns and doesnt complain is gonna place top 3 in tourney. youll get your arse handed to you, and itll be embarassing, and your mind will be changed forever....... OR youll just complain and make more johns about how dumb the game is.

Banks

Smash Hero
you misunderstood what i was trying to say. I'm saying, at this point, there isn't very much separating average and good players. Obviously i wouldn't lose to people who suck at life, at any game really.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Of course it's limiting. Where previously edgeguarding was necessary to finish a kill, now a move either KOs or it doesn't. A criticial area of the Melee metagame is now absent. How is this not limiting, by definition?
This one jumped out at me for being fail.

So I guess the floatier physics allowing for more interception don't exist? Air interception is something critical for people like Sonic and Metaknight, and even the DOJO talks about this! You're telling me because you can no longer stand at the edge and smack people that edgeguarding doesn't exist?

And yes, I'm aware you can air dodge those tricks now, but it's not permanent and still liable to interception... just like the Dojo talked about.

Your other stuff is fine, but PLEASE don't say edgeguarding doesn't exist anymore, it's changed!

th0rn

Smash Lord
LOL @ pixel's post about me... he actually still lost, should of won tho LMFAO. I won almost every game and i think he won once out of the three hours we played.

I like the game. It seems most people who were actually good at melee keep posting about how they hate brawl, and all the people that sucked complete **** at melee.. and most people who were bad because they are stupid and had no skills... all defend brawl and tell people to just play the game and stfu.

i can guarantee you that someone who doesnt make johns and doesnt complain is gonna place top 3 in tourney. youll get your arse handed to you, and itll be embarassing, and your mind will be changed forever
I guarantee the winner of that tourney is going to be some complete random with a ponytail. And when he decides to go to another tourney he'll probably lose to some other random.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
This one jumped out at me for being fail.

So I guess the floatier physics allowing for more interception don't exist? Air interception is something critical for people like Sonic and Metaknight, and even the DOJO talks about this! You're telling me because you can no longer stand at the edge and smack people that edgeguarding doesn't exist?

And yes, I'm aware you can air dodge those tricks now, but it's not permanent and still liable to interception... just like the Dojo talked about.

Your other stuff is fine, but PLEASE don't say edgeguarding doesn't exist anymore, it's changed!
You could edgeguard with "interceptions" in Melee with most characters. If edgeguarding is now only "interceptions" then the new edgeguarding is more limited than the old since there are fewer ways to edgeguard. By definition of limiting. QED.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
exactly son

i ****ing sucked at melee. **** that game

its my time to shine *****

deal wit it.
masa u sucked *** at melee because of ur attitude and ur overall scrubbiness.

a new game isn't going to change that, you're still going to suck

gtfo out with the "its a new game" bs, if u tried to play melee and sucked at ur gonan be just as ****ty at brawl

Mr P

Smash Ace
I see how you might think that way. In fact, that's what I first thought when I heard about tournament rules. "You mean they play tournaments without items? That's stupid! Items are a part of the game! They're obviously not good at the game!"

But essentially, random aspects of a game mean that no matter how good or bad you are, you still aren't completely responsible for how you performed. Think about how cheated you feel when you run just slightly off screen in Melee, only to run into a walking bob-omb. Frustrating, eh? Especially when you were only at 87% and that knocked you off, and you're buddy was at 327%. Now think of how pissed you'll be when he claims he's the better gamer, when he really only won because that was the random item that spawned there off screen. Now imagine that not only is he gloating, but someone just handed him a check because he's the "better" smasher.

Scenarios like that are why random factors tend to only be included if the game is just for casual, lighthearted fun; rather then experienced, skillful competitive fun. For the record, both types of fun are just as fun. Any game that you can drink a few beers with, play sloppy, and still have a good time is PROBABLY a casual party game.

But moving on to what I was going to say...

I feel too old to be registering for a first post, on the twelth page, of a heated thread.

There is something that I feel has not been mentioned (yes, I've read all eleven or so pages, but if I missed it, point it out) which may lend credibility to the "Brawl is designed as a party game" theory.

Put simply, I can not see a reason, from either a business and design perspective, to remove the ability to perform certain advance techs. Here's why.

1) Beginners don't notice them. Seriously. How many people absolutely love SSBM and have no idea what a shffl' is? Wave-huh..and why is that useful? Unless a casual player encounters a competitive player (or searches youtube) they're gaming experience will never be "lessened" by the inclusion of advanced techniques.

2) Removing them doesn't help casual players, or level the playing field enough that a casual player has a chance against a competitive player. Let's be honest here. If you're a competitive player, you're usually going to beat a casual player, without or without the normal tools. Even with items on. Same goes for casual players. You might win once or twice, but usually? Nope.

So why take them out? It doesn't make sense to me. Unless, as a the designer of the game, you feel like people are taking advantage of your game engine to play it in a way that you did not intend. They took your immaculate wooden sculpture and used it to have a nice cheery bonfire. Can it do that? Yes. Did you want them to? No. Next sculpture you release will be carved from stone! Let's see them try to burn it now!

And that's where the difference between casual and competive players enters the discussion. There seems to be this reccurring objection.

Or in other words...

Q) Isn't it possible that Brawl simply hasn't been played enough to discover all the cool new tricks?

A) Yes, it is POSSIBLE. Likely? No. Remember the example of the sculpture. Casual players look at the Melee Sculpture and the Brawl sculpture and see two extremely similiar works of art. That's because they're enjoying them on a different level then competitive players. Casual players aren't the ones huddled in tight circles outside of the ring of spectators, asking each "How on earth are we supposed to get a fire going when the new one's made of metal?"

Eventually people might figure out that if you run enough eletric current through the right metal and do it the right way, it'll heat up and maybe set things on fire. If so, great, we have a brand new way of making fire and just had to figure that out.

But why not just make the second scuplture out of wood to begin with, if it already met everyone's needs that way?

Now, since this is supposed to be an objective thread...

Keep reading even after you finish this next sentence. I can see that it might be possible, though farfetched, that the designers attempted to radically alter gameplay in a manner that would bring greater depth and complexity to the game.

Keep reading, again, even after you finish reading this next sentence. SSB really was designed as a "casual" game. Keeping that in mind, SSBM also had within it the capability to spawn an extremely competitive sub-culture. However, that competiveness required altering or limiting the game to bring out these competive aspects. 1 v 1 matches, no items, on levels that favor individual characters as little as possible. Tournament style play is really just a "house rules" variant that attempts to limit randomness and bias as much as possible. In a situation like this, it is no wonder that we have tiers (or there are no tiers, everyone's equally special) that reflect only a few viable options for competive play. Tournament rules change a casual game into a competitive one, and the balance is broken because of it.

Balance is in issue in all games, but when you alter the purpose of a game, and develop custom rulesets for it, you risk exacerbating those balance issues. It may be that the new design of brawl appears dumbed down and stupid because it is attempting to balance characters in such a way to make more of them viable in competitive play. Whether or not the attempt is successful might remain to be seen. However, if the new design is an attempt to create a balanced competitive game, and a fun casual game, that is extremely important. If that's the case, all that anyone could say is "This new system didn't work, next time give us one that does. I'm gonna go back to Melee til then, I appreciate the effort."

IMHO:

Random tripping is basically the middle finger to competitive play. Essentially the randomness of items enforced by the game designers. That could just be my "ground-centric metagame" talking, but I highly doubt it.

- End Note: It's probably not my metagame talking, because I don't have one. I'm purely a casual player, with no interest in being hardworking enough to be competitive. But then again, if you didn't know that already, you're probably a casual player too. Awesome. Let's exchange friend codes. Lag seems to work in my favor.
This is a great post, maybe that's why everyone is ignoring it. But as long as you're not misinterpreting what he has to say then there is no more reason for debate. This guy is spot on.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Again...

Melee's competitive scene was worse than Brawl's in his beginnings...

WAS WORSE ****!

-.-

Wait until we play a bit more with the game...

Avalon262

Smash Cadet
People that have a competitive mindset need to stfu and go play what you like the most. If you don't like what brawl has to offer, then go back to melee and quit *****ing. There's no point in complaining as the game isn't going to change and people end up insulting each other instead of debating.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
I haven't read this whole topic, it's too long. My opinion...

I never got good at melee, infact I was not good at it. Mainly because of the games pace, it was much too fast for me to react. In brawl, the game IS much slower, and I am actually quite 'good' at brawl. I really enjoy the game, more so than melee. Problems with this game is...

The online play stinks. It is far too laggy and unreliable to be competitive on any level. Not to mention friend codes are very troublesome. Often times I will fail on recovery moves and avoiding charged smash attacks because of the delayed reponse I get after I press a button, stuff that would never happen if it was offline. This could change over time, and the lag could be non existant, but as long as it's still there, lag can easily be blamed for your loss.

The items are more fun in brawl this time around. There is more variety and some are interesting. Though I still prefer them off, for obvious reasons.

So basically this means, if I want to play competitive, I am going to have to play offline. This didn't work for me in melee, I doubt it'll work for me now or in the future.

Whenever i've played online with people 'competitively' there is a lot of the same. It is basically a roll, dodge and shield fest and who can get off that quick attack first (rarely leading to a combo). The more I play the game, the more I realize this game heavily favors the air. All the character's best moves are in the air. Combo's are indeed very hard to pull off. Especially hard to pull off when everyone recovers so quickly from one hit.

So because of this, as I initially said (and a recap), all matches are dodging, shielding and using a quick move to damage the opponent while the defenses are down for a moment. Character quickly recovers. Rinse and repeat until percentage is high enough to use a fast C-stick smash to win. With the odd footstool jump here and there?

This gets tiresome, and melee did not play like this, a lot could happen in the game, with brawl it's very cookie cutter. Hopefully as the game continues to exist, some things will be found to make matches less predictable.

As I said, I do like brawl a lot, and I will be playing it a good amount in the future. Unfortunately I don't see this game lasting for as long as some multiplayer games I own. I frankly see mario kart lasting a lot longer than brawl is going to.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
People that have a competitive mindset need to stfu and go play what you like the most. If you don't like what brawl has to offer, then go back to melee and quit *****ing. There's no point in complaining as the game isn't going to change and people end up insulting each other instead of debating.
Good points. I'm going to change my mind because of your novel points that haven't been said over 7000 times already. Oh wait...

Ever heard of patches? Nintendo could patch the game, but they probably won't because random party fun is exactly what they're going for. Why would they patch a game to make it more skillful when 99% of the market doesn't care? They wouldn't. So why do we pretend they care? Good question Shai! Because Melee was competitive we assume its successor will be competitive, even though Melee's competitiveness was largely an accident. This is a faulty assumption.

Nintendo does not intentionally make competitive games, ever. It is not one of their goals as a company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom