• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl meant to be a party game? An in depth analysis considering both POV's

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1T3

Smash Lord
If advance techs are released or we figure out ways to make the game better than maybe - but as for now it seems as if Sakurai wanted a party game - and the only reason it's being competitive at all is because we're, as a community, stretching it so far to make it that way.
Brawl+ is slowly making progress towards this.

Nice thread.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
By the way if Nintendo wanted more party games why didnt they just release about 20 more Mario Party games.. lol

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Funny enough I have found multiple and good uses for crawling and it's now a important part of my game against selective characters, mainly those without disjointed hit boxes.

So I guess not all of your predictions are correct just most of them.

Church

Smash Cadet
Of course Brawl is meant to be a party game. So was Melee and 64 and virtually every other multiplayer Nintendo game. I see the word "competitive" thrown around these forums quite a bit, in basically all of the wrong contexts. To say something like "Brawl is more competitive then Melee" or on the other hand "Melee is more competitive then Brawl" cannot be based upon anything to do with the game engine. Anything can be competitive. As Frames stated 14 pages ago: there are national tourneys for rock, paper, scissors.

Here is a nice definition of the word:

1. the act of competing; rivalry for supremacy, a prize

and the verb, "compete":

1. to strive to outdo another for acknowledgment, a prize, supremacy, profit, etc.

Again, the ability of these games to be competitive in nature has nothing to do with their engines but with the people who play them in competition with one another. So unless this forum has created a new defintion for the word (which it may have at some point) then saying things like "Melee is more competitive then Brawl" only means that there is less competition surrounding Brawl then there is Melee.

I for one believe that Melee>Brawl but wanted to illustrate a point here. Now perhaps Melee is more technical--

Def. 1 a: having special and usually practical knowledge especially of a mechanical or scientific subject b: marked by or characteristic of specialization

--this may certainly be the case but from the sheer number of Brawl tournaments currently being held, it cannot be considered to be more "competitive".

Clone Z

Smash Journeyman
Of course Brawl was meant to be a party game.

Sakurai wanted it to be a party game.

Nintendo wanted it to be a party game.

cyclone248i

Smash Journeyman
Of course Brawl is meant to be a party game. So was Melee and 64 and virtually every other multiplayer Nintendo game. I see the word "competitive" thrown around these forums quite a bit, in basically all of the wrong contexts. To say something like "Brawl is more competitive then Melee" or on the other hand "Melee is more competitive then Brawl" cannot be based upon anything to do with the game engine. Anything can be competitive. As Frames stated 14 pages ago: there are national tourneys for rock, paper, scissors.

Here is a nice definition of the word:

1. the act of competing; rivalry for supremacy, a prize

and the verb, "compete":

1. to strive to outdo another for acknowledgment, a prize, supremacy, profit, etc.

Again, the ability of these games to be competitive in nature has nothing to do with their engines but with the people who play them in competition with one another. So unless this forum has created a new defintion for the word (which it may have at some point) then saying things like "Melee is more competitive then Brawl" only means that there is less competition surrounding Brawl then there is Melee.

I for one believe that Melee>Brawl but wanted to illustrate a point here. Now perhaps Melee is more technical--

Def. 1 a: having special and usually practical knowledge especially of a mechanical or scientific subject b: marked by or characteristic of specialization

--this may certainly be the case but from the sheer number of Brawl tournaments currently being held, it cannot be considered to be more "competitive".

It isn't that many compared to what Melee has had in any given year since 03

K1T3

Smash Lord
I don't want this to sound bad and posting it here may not be right, but since this thread is pointing out brawls lack of depth and how we would want that I will go ahead and list what I think is the current brawl+ codelist that makes the game the most fun/competative/gives depth,options/longevity and everything else we are looking for. I am also perfectly willing to list logical reasons as to why each code accomplishes the things I listed above.

no tripping
manual l cancel
hitstun 8%
lagless ledges
No auto sweetspot ledges
dash cancel with down
hold shield for independent pokemon (not necessary but nice)
air release / ground release modifier (stops grab release infinites)
dash dancing
both heavy and light attack shield stun codes set to 3
1.3 downwards gravity mod
buffer set to 0 (turns off brawls buffer system)

try this and maybe you'll like brawl a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom