• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Import Thread

Scrubs

Smash Lord
The purpose of this thread is, a place to discuss ways and means of importing NTSC Wiis and or NTSC copies of Brawl.

I know that a few people have said that they are going to import the game and or an American Wii. I thought we could discuss here the best ways of doing so, so that we can figure out the most efficient way.

I was going to try either Ebay or Amazon for the console. Do any of Americas big chains ship internationally? Walmart or Gamestop?

The game is alot easier. PlayAsia have already said that there will be up to a 2 week delay on the shipping of Brawl. Are there any alternatives?

Everyones input is welcome.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Hmm I was gonna suggest Play-asia. It's the only site I'm familiar with!

2 week delay? Woah why?

You can always go for the express post too, unless of course the delay is based on like, Brawl pre-order overload or something.

If Europe somehow gets a beautiful date soon, then go to dvdcrave.com

That's all the input I have so far :)

Scrubs

Smash Lord
I am going to import the American version. The Japanese version is too much hassle, and it doesn't have a language option.

Yeah the Play Asia delay is due to supply cuts. They aren't getting as many copies as they originally thought.

Jaz

Smash Ace
good idea scrubbeh! i was thinking of starting this soon.

its a crisis yet again aus has been left out of the loop with a premiere of a game, you have to ask yourselves whether it is worth buying a ntsc wii for a few games... to get brawl half a year early... or perhaps its better to wait.

professionally, if we are looking to get as good as the americans... perhaps it would be a good idea to get it when they do... same version and all, get the jump on the australian majority and own people when they start having pal tournies,

but it will probably cost up to $450 to import a wii, and brawl. thats a guess

i've never imported anything game related before so i can't really contribute to this thread any other way

Dedu

Smash Lord
What about modding your wii instead so you can just buy Brawl over the internets without having to splooge $350 AUS over an NTSC wii? Will that method work? Has anyone tried it yet?

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
the only modding ive heard would work is an American one, then use like 5 programs (brick blocker, cyclowiz) so on so forth, having a very specific mod for the wii, then a wiikey, then having a very old version of the wii (either chipset A or chipset B)
so i dont think modding is worth it
also im just getting JP, im getting brawl + jp wii + shipping for like 450 total, the wii = 270 USD, brawl = 64 USD, shipping = 40 USD, and the conversion is good now so its only 450 :D

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
youve spent more on your wii already, how many games do you have? you have more than 1 controller no? lol, i bet youve already spent more than 500, so who is the rich one?

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
..... I'm so sick of responding to people thinking wii modchips are good/work.
They do work. Cyclowiz and D2C are confirmed to work with PAL, wiikey (the more common chip) is having problems due to the dual layer disc. Normally I'd agree that modding a wii to get games early is not worth the effort, but honestly with no release date is in site you can understand why. A lot of people simply can't afford to pay for another wii, and the risk is minimal if you do your research properly.

the only modding ive heard would work is an American one, then use like 5 programs (brick blocker, cyclowiz) so on so forth, having a very specific mod for the wii, then a wiikey, then having a very old version of the wii (either chipset A or chipset B)
so i dont think modding is worth it
Case in point. It's obvious it's not worth Redact modding when he has no idea what he is talking about. :)

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
"ive heard" = i really have no idea in the first place, so im quoting the first random post i saw on the subject

Sirias

Smash Champion
Sold them. =]
Have you sent the Wii/XBox/PS2 yet, Zac?

I thought you said you were gonna get the Japanese version, Ben, which is how you were gonna get it in like 2 weeks, as opposed to... a longer time. O:

Brawl looks so floaty. Lame.
Falco looks like Fox with a beak. :D:D:D

And it comes out in June...? PAL versions?
B-day present, much? XD

Mr. Phantasmo

Smash Journeyman
I just checked Play-Asia and it would cost me $672.02 to ship an American Wii (which is on back order) and Brawl, I would have to restrict myself to pay for petrol only and then even charge my mates if they want a lift if I wanted to save up that much.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
When it gets hear it means I would have had every version of the Wii at some point in the last year.
Who cares???

I am going to order mine(NTSC-J) from PlayAsia on the 13th. I will shell out for the fastest shipping available to hopefully I will have it within the week.

Reasons for getting NTSC-J

- The Japanese Wii is almost $200 AUD cheaper than the American version.
- The game is out NOW
- There is no voice acting in SSE so you don't need it in English.
- Most of the SSE story is told in videos, once again you don't need it in english
- Menus are self explanatory and are also shown on the Dojo in english
- Japanese character names and voice acting are totally kick ***

EpitomeX

Smash Cadet
Any insight on when we actually get the game?

TBA and TBC everywhere I have checked, the nintendo.com.au release date hasn't been updated for like 2 years...

This is an absolute travesty.

Triss

Smash Journeyman
yo ben,

can you post some details up about shipping it, prices and how to order please. me and my brother are thinking of ordering it 2morrow. just would like to be directed it that possible.

thanks
tristan

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
Who cares???

I am going to order mine(NTSC-J) from PlayAsia on the 13th. I will shell out for the fastest shipping available to hopefully I will have it within the week.

Reasons for getting NTSC-J

- The Japanese Wii is almost $200 AUD cheaper than the American version.
- The game is out NOW
- There is no voice acting in SSE so you don't need it in English.
- Most of the SSE story is told in videos, once again you don't need it in english
- Menus are self explanatory and are also shown on the Dojo in english
- Japanese character names and voice acting are totally kick ***
I know it's not a huge consideration, but if you want to play online it won't work here. Also the possibility exists that there will be slight differences with balance like Melee, since tourney will switch to PAL once it's out.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Ben, I don't know if you txted back or not, but do you have my MP3? It might've fallen out on the couch I was on or in your car, so if I ever get the chance I'm going to eat your car and that couch until I find it.
Then again it could've fallen into the drain when Andy said: "I think you dropped something." That would be really gay. :D Oh well.

The only thing I think is good about Japanese versions of things is the voices, as Ben said.
<3

Doesn't matter who gets it first, until we all get it we won't really progress that much.
... Although I came out of nowhere from only playing computers and did pretty well.
... Never know. =/

I think I'll just wait till the PAL version comes out before I play it.
Oh and my controller broke as well so even if any of you get it I probably won't go play it.
I realise I could borrow any of yours for a time but I don't want to sweat all over them like I do and then destroy them. =]

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
payed for brawl + wii on play asia, it also says they have adequate stock of brawl (jp) and jp wiis, so hopefully it comes within the 1-4 days it claims it takes :D

Dedu

Smash Lord
Waiting for Credit Card...
God knows how many days to go there are before tarjito de crejito mi lluega!!

Didn't Brawl fail using Wiikey due to the dual layer disc bs? Oh wait are you downloading Brawl from the internets?

Sirias

Smash Champion
Da fug? How'd I go emo? D:

Wait, so... who's getting Brawl and when?
So far I think Ben's getting it first in QLD.
What about other peoplors? NSW and VIC and such. :D

Dedu

Smash Lord
110 - 100 Volts for Japanese Appliances.
The Japanese Wii would work under Australian Voltage standards but it would get a bit hotter than usual. And you wouldn't want the heat to destroy the wii or gradually cook the insides internally.

I'd get a step down transformer (xfmr) that would allow you to convert 240v to 110v to be on the safe side. Better to be safe than sorry. Look for a step down xfmr for overseas appliances at Diick Smiths etc.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Zac might get it before me Kas.

Providing they are still in stock when I order it next Wednesday. I will, if I am extremely lucky, have it by weeks end. More likely however I will probably have it early the week after next.

Thanks Dedu!

What about using PAL Wii connection cables, sensor bar, etc. Anyone know anything about that?

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
shaz and cats already have brawl, though they're too much into it to post here i think, i think im next in line for vic, then plasia when the US one comes out, if theres others (i think zan?) ask them

EDIT: im told that the wii power cord will work for jp/ntsc wii's, and due to the AC adapter built in, it converts the voltage for you too, so just grab one from Nintendo (if you dont already have a wii, like me) or just use your old one
also im told all the accessories work fine, including the controllers (gamecube ones too :D)

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Yeah you can use an Australian power cord in a j-Wii, CATS does it I think. Otherwise go to **** smith and look for digitor 65W stepdown transformer, thats what I use for my consoles. All accessories i.e controllers/av cables/sensor bars don't have region locks. My package will hopefully arrive either Friday or Monday.

Top Bottom