• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Character Match-Up chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Don't worry, a lot of these match-ups are f***** up. Pretty much the match-ups that people don't spend a lot of time on are just skipped over.

bigman40

Smash Master
hallo GA.

I'll play with ya in SL's place.
Sweet. This weekend maybe? If not, then PM me a time you're available (my time might get screwed a little since I'm getting ready to go back to college in 2 weeks).

danimalsyogurt

Smash Rookie
Squirtle does not have an advantage over DK, he's too light and gets killed and gimped at early %'s

Ivysaur seems like he has an advantage over DK, it has a lot of range, a projectile that DK can't block with tilts, and due to his large size one bullet seed can add 50-60% in a second

Charizard is pretty neutral, DK can gimp him easliy off the edge, but charizard has the same range as DK + a nasty standing grab that outranges DK's tilts, so an opponent who has good spacing will be able to counter DK's spacing game

oh and ike is not neutral, DK is so big, he is easily caught in ike's attacks and totally outranged by ragnell as well.

PhantomBrawler

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so I have discovered that Marth is chaingrabbable 4-5 times using a walking cg....it must be perfect however. Since we are talking metagame, then falco would have it perfect each time. So that alone is 45% ish from cg's and then a DLX to combo up with that= approx. 70% EVERY LIFE. This+ camping advantage for falco should mean Falco>Marth.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
DK does not have an advantage on Mario.

DK:

+Range
+KO Power
+Powerful ground game
-Very easy for Mario to gimp
-Easily juggled
-Has a hard time safely approaching Mario

Mario:

+Good approach
+Good at juggling DK up to high percents
+Good air game that can at least match, if not outclass, DK's
+Great at edgeguarding and gimping DK
-Low range on most atks
-Ground game is outclassed by DK's
-KOed farily early by DK

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I'll check on that, cause I'm almost certain that it doesn't go through Mario's Nair 1st frame. F.L.U.D.D. also pretty much controls DK's aerial approaches too.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
What do you mean? The match-up isn't straight out in Mario's favor but many people agreed that it does swing towards Mario having the advantage.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Well it depends on how you define the advantage. We also think that Mario has an advantage too over Yoshi, but it's only very minor (55:45), and are still in the boundaries of being Neutral.

I think what really clouds this matchup is Mario's misconception of gimping Yoshi. FLUDD's knockback isn't enough to actually hinder his horizontal movement. Not only that, but it pushes Yoshi up, overall helping Yoshi recover. The Cape, you may think would be the primary choice to intercept him with, but in reality, if you Hit Yoshi during his Double Jump, you increase the remaining vertical momentum to increase by twice as much! Granted he will be severely hindered if hit with the Cape after the DJ, but in most cases, he would already be back on land by then. Everything else Mario has can't pierce though Yoshi DJ Armour, except his Fair and Smashes, but those are easy to see coming, which Yoshi should be able to dodge.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Yoshi is still easy to pressure off the ledge and Mario is excellent at doing quite a bit of dmg while an opponent is off a ledge. If Mario can't outright gimp someone he can get a lot of dmg on opponent through edgeguarding until they're at a high enough percent to KO. Yoshi's DJ Armor saves him from some juggles but it doesn't matter if he's consistantly forced off the edge.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
As a solid Mario secondary, I'm going towards them being neutral.
Yoshi has a bit more range in the air, and has some good speed on the ground, having a 2 frame startup jab.
I'm not here to debate, though, so it's just some input.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Sadly, I havent played against a decent Yoshi yet (could this actually mean something?!?) but on the paper Mario seems to have a slight advantage (like 5.5 : 4.5) to me. Mario is faster on the ground, has the better approach (imo, many ppl say that Yoshis bair is a good approach) and often outranges/outspeeds Yoshi in the air. His fireball works from closer distance than Yoshis Eggs...i think Mario has overall a little advantage

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I could find the post again with the particular matchups , but like I said... some of Shiek/Zelda's matchups are off here.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Have you not heard StH? Tactical boards have now turned into Yoshi character boards, quit talking about Zelda.
Jokes.
Furthermore, no one's really talked about Yoshi ~ MK.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so I have discovered that Marth is chaingrabbable 4-5 times using a walking cg....it must be perfect however. Since we are talking metagame, then falco would have it perfect each time. So that alone is 45% ish from cg's and then a DLX to combo up with that= approx. 70% EVERY LIFE. This+ camping advantage for falco should mean Falco>Marth.
If we're talking about perfect then Marth has a 0-death combo on Falco and there isn't anything Falco can do about it, therefore making the match 100-0, but you know match ups don't work like that.
Are you sure that 4-5 is guaranteed when done perfectly? Are you sure its not the Marth who's not escaping at the right time?

Camping isn't that much tbh. Since Marth is much faster than Falco, he can't sit there and camp all day long with lasers and shine and whatnot. Falco is extremely frustrating to play against, but really if you keep your cool, you'll destroy Falco's main psychological game. That and Marth has better kill moves than Falco, and better close combat options. I say the match up is even, but EL actually believes that the match up is in Marth's favor after playing on both sides so I don't know.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183545

Griffard

Smash Ace
Mario vs. Yoshi, i thought i might add that while hanging on the ledge, mario can side b away from the ledge to make yoshi's second jump go the other way.
I think this is neutral over all though

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Sadly, I havent played against a decent Yoshi yet (could this actually mean something?!?) but on the paper Mario seems to have a slight advantage (like 5.5 : 4.5) to me. Mario is faster on the ground, has the better approach (imo, many ppl say that Yoshis bair is a good approach) and often outranges/outspeeds Yoshi in the air. His fireball works from closer distance than Yoshis Eggs...i think Mario has overall a little advantage
On paper, I would give yoshi the advantage.
Yoshi has quicker options on the ground, his Jab takes only two frames to start up, while Mario has a fairly slow jab. Utilt is probably Mario's quickest move, but Yoshi just has more range with Dtilt and Ftilt. Mario is pretty good with approaches, yeah, but he has to watch out for those eggs, and the Bair is pretty nice. In the air, Yoshi is floatier and moves horizontally faster, having a quicker sex kick as well. Yoshi's Bair has more range that any of Mario's horizontal options, and the uair on yoshi hits further up and is deadly. Both their fair's suck, while Mario has the better Dair.

I haven't fought a good Yoshi with my Mario, though, I'm just tossing ideas and observations. My G&W is much more knowledgeable with this matchup.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
*waits for the inevitable "it can be broken by ^b" discovery*

Also, vids or it didn't happen.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure I've heard enough to believe that the best man in a Yoshi-Mario fight will win.

I mean doesn't a plumber deserve a fair fight against his steed? C'mon guys...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
this is s general matchup thread,so why not discuss
45:55 in marios favor is ok,but it still feels like its an equal match

again, Lucario > IC,explain plox...
Cuz, people like to ***** about "2 mch Yoshi" n whatnot and want their character to be heard. Plus, you get more perspectives from their respective threads since not everyone reads this thread.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Cuz, people like to ***** about "2 mch Yoshi" n whatnot and want their character to be heard. Plus, you get more perspectives from their respective threads since not everyone reads this thread.
I don't see anyone here that has problems discussing about Yoshi here >_>

Plus, we already discussed Mario alot already, and now we're discussing him again. I haven't seen any discussion on Mario vs. Yoshi on your forums though...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I don't see anyone here that has problems discussing about Yoshi here >_>

Plus, we already discussed Mario alot already, and now we're discussing him again. I haven't seen any discussion on Mario vs. Yoshi on your forums though...
We're doin the weekly thing and trying to get perspectives of other mains. Painstaking process and takes a little time. Not many use either of our character anyway.

*Breaks Matador over his leg*

Shuddap, theres no issue for a discussion about Yoshi vs Mario.
I think I got this thread mixed up with Tier discussion...whatevs.

Anyways, I believe it's 6:4 Mario's advantage. Eggs are too easy to cape, Yoshi's weight makes Utilt chains and uairs easy to link together, Fireballs make for easy approach and combo start-ups. Fsmash kills at about 110% and Usmash around 130%. Not too difficult to edgeguard and Mario lives long with DI (with the exception of Yoshi's Uair and Usmash. Both kill at consistent percentages). About equal range and priority in general.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Lol, we hardly talked about Mario at all, most of the time people just kept using the "His recovery sucks" card.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Thats sucks Mario's match ups aren't too good..
Cause hardly anyone ever goes over Mario's match-ups XD. A lot of Mario's match-ups are just guesswork. Seriously, Ike > Mario cause he's got more range? Lol, we'll get to each match-up eventurally and this **** will finally be settled.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
*waits for the inevitable "it can be broken by ^b" discovery*

Also, vids or it didn't happen.

Dayum, you beat me to it.

Seriously folks, any CG/Insta-death combo against Marth has to be tested versus a HUMAN that can mash Up-B and DI well. Any good Marth will break them with an Up-B if he can, afterall, 13% and high knockback are things I'm willing to deal to an opponent when I can. >.>

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings

Dayum, you beat me to it.

Seriously folks, any CG/Insta-death combo against Marth has to be tested versus a HUMAN that can mash Up-B and DI well. Any good Marth will break them with an Up-B if he can, afterall, 13% and high knockback are things I'm willing to deal to an opponent when I can. >.>
plenty of ICs have done it,um...vids?idk

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
IC Infinite CG is not escapable by any character, I think they were referring to how Marth can escape the Falco CG with an Upb.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
IC Infinite CG is not escapable by any character, I think they were referring to how Marth can escape the Falco CG with an Upb.
I thought Link, TL and Snake could escape by holding their bombs and that Jigglypuff could counter by resting.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm very determined to make another matchup thread, but I need a chart to use. Anyone have one? It'll be board specific only.

Finns7

Smash Ace
With Link/TL and sanke bombs can save you but your still going to get some damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom