• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Back Room Updates

M@v

Subarashii!
Austin, if you want some advice about what you can do to improve your status you can PM me.

Last time I applied, I had virtually nothing to show outside a couple of threads in the D3 boards and the fact I was the main MI TO.

And in those 7 months..I decided that I was going to make everything happen. Now I'm PRed in MI, a member of the URC, a Brawl Panelist for D3, and I pretty much run those boards. Get in the epicenter of everything you involve yourself in and people will see your efforts! I was in a very similar spot as you are in now Austin and now.....I'm getting somewhere lol. If you ever want advice holler at me! I'm more than happy to help.

^ Slush: WTF?? LOL

Pretty much this. Using myself as another example, when I first applied for the bbr I had almost nothing to show for it. This time when I got in, I had:
-Pr'd in PA
-URC member
-Currently the main TO in PA(Used to be Chibo and I until he moved to NJ)
-PA power ranking panelist
-Extremely active in the community, in both tournaments and on the boards
-I feel I have, overall, a good reputation in terms of my personality and how I conduct myself in tournaments and on the boards.

I still feel I have a long way to go and will keep working 100% to be a better community member, Tournament Organizer, player , and person, but I feel I've made a ton of progress, especially since Last APEX. That's when things really started coming together for me.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Austin, if you want some advice about what you can do to improve your status you can PM me.

Last time I applied, I had virtually nothing to show outside a couple of threads in the D3 boards and the fact I was the main MI TO.

And in those 7 months..I decided that I was going to make everything happen. Now I'm PRed in MI, a member of the URC, a Brawl Panelist for D3, and I pretty much run those boards. Get in the epicenter of everything you involve yourself in and people will see your efforts! I was in a very similar spot as you are in now Austin and now.....I'm getting somewhere lol. If you ever want advice holler at me! I'm more than happy to help.
Pretty much this. Using myself as another example, when I first applied for the bbr I had almost nothing to show for it. This time when I got in, I had:
-Pr'd in PA
-URC member
-Currently the main TO in PA(Used to be Chibo and I until he moved to NJ)
-PA power ranking panelist
-Extremely active in the community, in both tournaments and on the boards
-I feel I have, overall, a good reputation in terms of my personality and how I conduct myself in tournaments and on the boards.

I still feel I have a long way to go and will keep working 100% to be a better community member, Tournament Organizer, player , and person, but I feel I've made a ton of progress, especially since Last APEX. That's when things really started coming together for me.

Well.......

http://youtu.be/wDajqW561KM

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Marc, anything I need to improve on outside of what Shaya already posted?
Besides trying to stand out more in a positive way, you might also want to reflect on how open you seem to the ideas of others and how you go about debating. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what is holding you back, it's mostly that there's just room for improvement in several areas (as a player and community member). If you put in work towards things you want for yourself and the community and keep seeking improvement, BBR membership often comes naturally, even if it takes a while.

OH OH DO ME NEXT!
You main Yoshi.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
You main Yoshi.
Shots fired.

I think I'll try to get into the BBR next time around. I've only been able to host some things around Columbus and Athens, but I feel like I have to grow as a player/community poster more before that.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I like where this thread is going, just saying. Seeing people set good goals like the last couple of posters have is a great example of the community I'd like SWF to have.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Then why not make infraction expiration dates end later...? If you think a stream of infractions over the past 3 months is as bad as someone with a temp ban then why not temp ban that person? Why not fix the system instead?
I'm not sure where any of this is relevant to how one should view a string of infractions issued over a relatively recent and short period of time, but the main issue is that regardless of whether you do end up accumulating 6 points or not a repeat offender in recent history is still a repeat offender in recent history.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Because it seems that the BBR doesn't think that the qualifications in terms of infractions to be a member of smashboards is different than the qualifications in term to be a member of the BBR.

That's find and all if you believe that, I have nothing against it, but it's not really stated anywhere so it's relevant in order to be clear.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you have a reputation for continually receiving infractions even now, then I would not consider that grounds for being a "positive reflection on the Smash community". Smashboards moderation is, thankfully, not draconian, but constantly breaking rules whenever able to is clearly not the same as being a problem-free member.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'm not sure about Illmatic, I can't really speak for him, but I'd consider myself a positive reflection on the Smash community overall. I troll and spam, yes, but I'm pretty sure things like my contributions to the Diddy boards, URC, MU panel, tournament organizing, donating and placing and public discussions (which all show reflections of the smash community) would overall outweigh that. That's just my opinion, you guys have your own which I guess is that my trolling doesn't outweigh all of my contributions to the smash community. That's a pretty subjective line there, so there's not much to say if that's the case.

z00ted

Player-1, I've already said all of that.
They don't care.

Infractions outweigh those redeeming qualities.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I agree that how severe of an emphasis your infraction history has on the final decision is a subjective matter and is very much decided on a case-to-case basis

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Illmatic and P-1, I've seen both of you do a great job on your respective MU Panels, as everyone on the admittance panel as. If you really feel you deserve to be in the BBR, then go the next 6 months without a single infraction. If infractions are holding you up, there shouldn't be an argument about you getting in or not in the next 6 months.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Is that even possible?

Admittedly, the rest of the URC already got onto me about my trolling and I told them I'd cut down on it in the competitive discussion forum. The Diddy boards will always be my troll haven, even if I do have a significantly less amount of infractions next time around, I doubt I'll be applying.

Player-3

Smash Hero

heard some illmatic guy was sayin he had infractions

20 pages yo

can i apply to the bbr i think i have alot of mods that will recommend me for my profound knowledge of the character mewtwo

Player-3

Smash Hero
yea broski i've told you like fourteen times

add Wampuh

yo chair i see you lurkin n **** you better not be upstaging me here

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Link the posts, I don't know who/what you're talking about. As for your idea that getting into the BBR is some kind of popularity contest, rest assured that I hate everyone equally.
pffffffffffffffff

#1-I'm not going to do your research for you, but rest assured after re-reading my post, it applies to more than just TWO of the members who were admitted.

#2-After reading through the rest of these posts, I am more correct than ever. If you don't know people, you won't get that job/bbr.

and I hate everyone equally too, but I use originality when I use that old cliche term to go tell people to go f-off. Or I just quote directly from Full Metal Jacket, but I don't like using the N-word.

I like how all of my arguments are skipped.
I do too!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
#2-After reading through the rest of these posts, I am more correct than ever. If you don't know people, you won't get that job/bbr.
It's true, if you do nothing worthy of recognition then you probably won't be recognized. I will admit that there were quite a few apps that were hard to decide on, between the content of the application, the member's public history, and his impact on the community at large. That shouldn't be reason to start attacking those who did manage to accepted, though.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
p1 my man no

In all honesty, I could write essays about a whole lot of things about this thread but I have better things to do for a change.

Like getting above 1500 rating again after losing 15 games in a row due to people with the average IQ below SWF's.

People want to get into the BBR so badly, I can't help but think that if the BBR decides not to accept people with the right amount of braincells in favor of people who have all sorts of qualities except for the one mentioned, it's merely dispositioning itself rather than the people it decides to reject.

I see the reasons I was declined and I understand them but I don't sympathize with them. That's the loss of the BBR, not mine. I phrased my motivation to join the BBR as 'finding a means with which to to away with the boredom I tend to deal with'. That was honesty, if it doesn't sound motivated enough then there's nothing I can do. I'll now try to cure the illness that is boredom in another place where my talents can be put to use and where I am appreciated for who I am.

Even if that means I'd be appreciated for that guy posting disgustingly sexy pictures of artistic value.

tl;dr for the kind sir that is Player-3: rofl ima just troll somewhere else idc, Riot Games here I come!

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
It's true, if you do nothing worthy of recognition then you probably won't be recognized. I will admit that there were quite a few apps that were hard to decide on, between the content of the application, the member's public history, and his impact on the community at large. That shouldn't be reason to start attacking those who did manage to accepted, though.
So you know who/what I'm talking about then :p
Yes I know you do.
However, I didn't come out and attack anyone specific, just pointed out the hypocritical nature of the beast. tbh, the people I was talking about belong in the bbr as much as the next guy, except for Lux, who deserves getting in more than anyone not named John or Kain, imo, but I will admit that is both regional and :wolf: bias.

If I were to attack, I would use specific names and repost like marc wanted, but that's not the kind of person I am, I'm pro-union :p

I'm just curious if anyone took my application seriously and why I didn't get in. I knew I wasn't going to get in from the start and I'm NOT MAD I didn't get in, thus I don't see the need to attack the new applicants, just the people in the selection process.

I'M MAD LUX DIDN'T GET IN.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I don't think Rob was attempting to attack or belittle the applicants. He was more making commentary on the inconsistencies of what's presented as a value based process in terms of admissions.

Edit: Ninja'd lol

DeLux

Well to be fair, I think you do bring a valid critique, Rob. Based on their advocated principles, you more than deserved admission:

-Well versed in all aspects of tournament play: One of the most active in the midwest west.
-Well versed in all aspects of running a tournament: The reason that Nebraska has a scene anymore by hosting tournaments
-Striving to advance the competitive community: See above. I especially can point out to debating ruleset stuff with you since you are primarily a TO based applicant in my mind as far as strengths go.
-An active member in their community: See Above
-A positive reflection on the Smash community: See Above. As the moderator of a section you frequent, I haven't seen anything that is a negative reflection to the point of infraction, although my standards are looser than others.
-Willing and capable of leading: See Above with his TO work
-Willing and capable of following others : You followed the procedures in the application thread, which was the litmus test they used on other applicants to determine if they were capable of following.

But by their own admission, despite clearly meeting the criteria as outlined, something else seemed to have caused your non admission. I'm curious to see what the exact selections process was.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
DeLux, what are you hoping to achieve with your passive aggressive trolling?

:phone:

DeLux

I'm not trolling. I am positively not trolling. Dissent is not trolling.

I believe strongly in value based decision making. If I see an argument with a stronger value claim, I'm naturally going to support it. You guys are free to decide your admissions however you want as an organization. I'm not going to tell you how to do it.

But if you're going to advocate certain principles as means of weighing applicants and then not use said advocated principles, I think it merits critique when that contradiction is exposed.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So you know who/what I'm talking about then :p
Yes I know you do.
However, I didn't come out and attack anyone specific, just pointed out the hypocritical nature of the beast. tbh, the people I was talking about belong in the bbr as much as the next guy, except for Lux, who deserves getting in more than anyone not named John or Kain, imo, but I will admit that is both regional and :wolf: bias.

If I were to attack, I would use specific names and repost like marc wanted, but that's not the kind of person I am, I'm pro-union :p

I'm just curious if anyone took my application seriously and why I didn't get in. I knew I wasn't going to get in from the start and I'm NOT MAD I didn't get in, thus I don't see the need to attack the new applicants, just the people in the selection process.

I'M MAD LUX DIDN'T GET IN.
I know exactly who you are talking about, and I can also tell you that I gave absolutely no opinion on him in the process because I didn't want to add any possible bias from actually knowing him.

I took every application that was actually completed seriously. The only ones I auto-denied were:
MythTrainerInfinity: Because linking an old application isn't going to cut it, sorry.
The Old Lapras and the Sea: He never got to the rest of it.
DeLux's first app: Obvious
My reminder of the application deadline

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Well to be fair, I think you do bring a valid critique, Rob. Based on their advocated principles, you more than deserved admission:

-Well versed in all aspects of tournament play: One of the most active in the midwest west.
-Well versed in all aspects of running a tournament: The reason that Nebraska has a scene anymore by hosting tournaments
-Striving to advance the competitive community: See above. I especially can point out to debating ruleset stuff with you since you are primarily a TO based applicant in my mind as far as strengths go.
-An active member in their community: See Above
-A positive reflection on the Smash community: See Above. As the moderator of a section you frequent, I haven't seen anything that is a negative reflection to the point of infraction, although my standards are looser than others.
-Willing and capable of leading: See Above with his TO work
-Willing and capable of following others : You followed the procedures in the application thread, which was the litmus test they used on other applicants to determine if they were capable of following.

But by their own admission, despite clearly meeting the criteria as outlined, something else seemed to have caused your non admission. I'm curious to see what the exact selections process was.
I appreciate that Lux.

DeLux, what are you hoping to achieve with your passive aggressive trolling?

:phone:
I don't think Lux is trolling here, no troll.

Can I get a name change?
Gotta go premium, I've asked for it before and it can't happen.

Player-3

Smash Hero
p1 my man no

In all honesty, I could write essays about a whole lot of things about this thread but I have better things to do for a change.

Like getting above 1500 rating again after losing 15 games in a row due to people with the average IQ below SWF's.

People want to get into the BBR so badly, I can't help but think that if the BBR decides not to accept people with the right amount of braincells in favor of people who have all sorts of qualities except for the one mentioned, it's merely dispositioning itself rather than the people it decides to reject.

I see the reasons I was declined and I understand them but I don't sympathize with them. That's the loss of the BBR, not mine. I phrased my motivation to join the BBR as 'finding a means with which to to away with the boredom I tend to deal with'. That was honesty, if it doesn't sound motivated enough then there's nothing I can do. I'll now try to cure the illness that is boredom in another place where my talents can be put to use and where I am appreciated for who I am.

Even if that means I'd be appreciated for that guy posting disgustingly sexy pictures of artistic value.

tl;dr for the kind sir that is Player-3: rofl ima just troll somewhere else idc, Riot Games here I come!
you're one of my favorite people ever

are you going to apex?

bro 1500 is pretty good i'm at 1400 right now but i only play one ranked game a day or my teams get slowly more ********

my friend plays lots of ranked and hes at 1900 right now i gotta play more and catch up to him lmao

z00ted

I think Zigsta was asking what you were trying to accomplish by posting that "fake/joke" application, DeLux.

I thought it was just to lighten the mood of the thread and prepare for your real application which followed.

omg at your sig

:(
LMAO

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
This thread has 279 posts in it BPx.
That means SOMEONE has to be caring. :applejack:

Top Bottom