• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Back Room Updates

Cassio

Smash Master
Being well behaved is all they have left. Xyro isn't in the BBR anymore but...

...now he is part of a group that actually does something for the community.
lol, please dont compare these two. In spite of any power the URC may have the BBR is much more respectable.

Frankly I find it odd that youre more concerned about the membership of a group you state has little power over the group that can dictate yet, with few outliers, shows exceptionally little respect for the community.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I thought educating the community was the job of the Smash Lab...
Okay so what does the BBR do then?

A great example is the MK ban. As someone said earlier in response to my URC comment, lets assume the community is full of ignorant scrubs mostly. 1 group gives these ignorant scrubs what they want, the other group claims to know things that prove these ignorant scrubs wrong, but refuses to teach.

If I told you Wario Ware should be a starter, would you just accept it? Nope.

Now what if I taught you how to play on Wario Ware to the point where it doesn't seem like a broken stage to you? Would you accept its legality then? Maybe.

However, if I can't produce information that indicates the latter, you would probably think better of the group that simply banned Wario Ware.

Now in this situation I'm sure you can guess who the BBR is and who the URC is. The 3rd example apparently doesn't exist. Or maybe its the Smash Lab or something. :/

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Illmatic, stop treating bans and infractions like minor nuances to SWF membership. They're quite a big deal. The fact that you constantly regain them, while also assuring the BBR members in here that you can micromanage your infraction points, is by itself an indication of your disregard for the procedures on the website.

Having a sense of civility is one of the many traits the panel looks for in new recruits. :applejack:
So someone shouldn't be admitted into the BBR because of "minor spam" on an online forum? You can take all the redeeming offline and online qualities of a applicant and stack them up high, and then not allow them into a group because of something as small as "minor spam"?

That's what nine out of ten of my infractions are... "minor spam". How is that hurting anybody? In fact, not even 1/3 of my total infractions are from the previous six months. If considering that an applicant's behavior will interfere with their overall productivity or activity, one should at least consider the crimes as well as the time of which they were committed.

Also, who said I purposely disregard the procedures of the website? If anything, I've already stated that I've tried to improve on my behavior ("minor spam") in the past and I will still be trying to improve on it in the future.

Your still trying to compare overall activity and conduct. They are not the same. Becoming banned, no matter the length of time, is a violation of forum policies, a big no-no as far as the BBR. Periods of not posting in the BBR (as long as a typical ban) aren't as bad for obv reasons.

Polt became inactive (ironically after becoming the Mod of the Yoshi boards), yes. He's clearly a perfect example of extreme inactivity. I wouldn't be surprised if he is removed during the next purge.
Activity and conduct ARE in the same field because conduct leads to inactivity.
From what I understand, the BBR purges members who are inactive... if I get banned I'm basically purging myself. Both lead to not posting in the group. If I'm wrong, please tell me your "obv reasons".

I'm not trying to get Poltergust banned from the BBR, I was just using him as an example.
I do believe that both rules are unnecessary to being allowed with in the first place and if they are kept, they need to have set rules or time constraints, though.

Player-1

Smash Legend
yeah I don't really think old infractions should be taken into account...isn't that kind of like why they expire?

Obv. my double post from 3 years ago still matters right?

D

Deleted member

When you've been infracted enough to be banned from SWF, that's another story.

z00ted

That isn't the case with Illmatic. :/
Why does it even ****ing matter?
Like.. seriously? MINOR SPAM

I can name a few mods who are MODERATORS and have broken that rule.

D

Deleted member

You can have a sense of humor and not cause trouble on the boards. Believe it or not, it's possible.

And what does my location have to do with anything...?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Section 3 - Current Projects

Stage Analysis Project (led by MetalMusicMan) – The Brawl Backroom is currently working on a Stage Analysis Project. This project will review the stages in Brawl, and offer information for both new and veteran players alike, as well as reasoning on why people would feel these stages are suited, or ill suited for competitive play.

^far less informative or complete than OLDER guides on the stage discussion board.

Tesh that is a load of bull.

I mod that place and only a few threads even come close to some of those that were made, which were in term banned stages, Port Town Aero Drive, Mario Bros, maybe Brinstar thread.

Twinkie's new Norfair guide is gonna be huge, but at the same time don't assume those older guides are more informative, Most aren't that informative or even when they do it doesn't matter since the stage is banned.

Eedit: Also the Mario Bros thread is pretty much mostly theory craft on why it should be legal as well.

D

Deleted member

Twinkie's new Norfair guide is gonna be huge, but at the same time don't assume those older guides are more informative, Most aren't that informative or even when they do it doesn't matter since the stage is banned.
I've been looking forward to this guide for a while. I can't wait for it to be released! :bee:

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
You can have a sense of humor and not cause trouble on the boards. Believe it or not, it's possible.

And what does my location have to do with anything...?
Absolutely nothing, I was trying to get you to lighten up a bit by making a joke. Relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax.

And sometimes humor can be misconstrued as bad behavior. Its the internet. Sarcasm doesn't exist yet here, remember?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Interested in applying for the Brawl Back Room? Keep your eyes peeled on this thread for the next application date. We're looking for members who best exemplify the following characteristics:

-Well versed in all aspects of tournament play
-Well versed in all aspects of running a tournament
-Striving to advance the competitive community
-An active member in their community
-A positive reflection on the Smash community
-Willing and capable of leading
-Willing and capable of following others

Tesh

Smash Hero
Tesh that is a load of bull.

I mod that place and only a few threads even come close to some of those that were made, which were in term banned stages, Port Town Aero Drive, Mario Bros, maybe Brinstar thread.

Eedit: Also the Mario Bros thread is pretty much mostly theory craft on why it should be legal as well.

Final Destination

This long, flat, traditionally starter stage has recently seen a lot of argument that it is in fact closer to a counter than a starter. The simple design of the stage seems to polarize some match ups more than it creates a level playing field, detracting from what a typical starter stage aims for ("the best available stage between two parties").

Details:

Static layout

Wider than most stages

No platforms

Average Blast Zones

Sides can be wall-jumped / wall-clung

The sides of the stage are known for catching characters who are trying to recover. The shape of the sides makes the precision requirement for recovering to the ledge slightly greater than most other stages in the game.

Gameplay / Strategy:

Lack of platforms means that approaching is very linear and matchups where projectile camping and/or chain grabs are dominant become more skewed on this stage, as there's no platform to camp or use for positioning or to vary recoveries.

Due to strong character-specific advantages / disadvantages on this stage, it's often banned during sets because it can act as a solid counterpick for many characters, most notably Falco, Diddy and Ice Climbers.

Usage:

While this stage was a staple starter for most of Brawl's lifetime, recently it has been removed from average-sized starter lists of many tournaments and added to the counterpick list. Some regions have decided to remove it from starter lists with less than 5 or 7 stages, while in other regions it's used as a starter on lists with as little as 3 stages.

Stage Diagrams:

Thats all the basic stuff that gets mentioned in the first page of any 08 discussion thread.

"lulz only nooby wifi spammers like this stage cuz no platfurmz"
"baww i recover bad with marf"

There isn't anything notable there at all except maybe the picture with all the (unexplained?) numbers.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I understand what you're saying Marc, but that was exactly the point of the application. It's more or less proven that the process is at some level politically based and isn't truly measured in terms of objective values (which is what the principles are their to promote). When doing applications for the Smash Lab, there have been people that I've positively HATED from interacting with them on the boards, yet if they merit consideration, they get into the group. When we've done URC voting on admittance, there have been instances where I've subordinated my opinions on people for the sake of the guiding principles of the URC as a way to depoliticize things. I guess I can be satisfied that I was unable to meet criteria seven of the principles (being willing to follow), which disqualifies me from the BBR. But given my personality, that is unlikely to change at any point in time and ultimately means I will never get into the BBR.
The main reason again it that you spat in the face of the people you were applying to join with a troll application. It's not that we don't like your personality, it;s something you did that wouldn't fly ever irl with any other group or job.

I'll be honest, infractions by in large should only be an issue dealt with by staff. Using them as a criteria of weighing "positive reflection" is a poor litmus test. Plenty of people that reflect positively on the community receive infractions. Plenty of people that reflect negatively don't. Infractions are a staff issue and I would think revealing that information about a person's infraction history is against site policy even if advances quelling public objections. In the absence of a site specific scale of keeping order in check, certain members are overwhelmingly qualified based on the principles outlined as being supported. So while I agree I don't deserve membership, Player-1 and Illmatic should have been admitted.
I will say it's more so the BBR, or rather even the MBR or 64BR doesn't want people who constantly cause problems.

I'll sleep on this part though since I see the legitimacy of this.

Final Destination

This long, flat, traditionally starter stage has recently seen a lot of argument that it is in fact closer to a counter than a starter. The simple design of the stage seems to polarize some match ups more than it creates a level playing field, detracting from what a typical starter stage aims for ("the best available stage between two parties").

Details:

Static layout

Wider than most stages

No platforms

Average Blast Zones

Sides can be wall-jumped / wall-clung

The sides of the stage are known for catching characters who are trying to recover. The shape of the sides makes the precision requirement for recovering to the ledge slightly greater than most other stages in the game.

Gameplay / Strategy:

Lack of platforms means that approaching is very linear and matchups where projectile camping and/or chain grabs are dominant become more skewed on this stage, as there's no platform to camp or use for positioning or to vary recoveries.

Due to strong character-specific advantages / disadvantages on this stage, it's often banned during sets because it can act as a solid counterpick for many characters, most notably Falco, Diddy and Ice Climbers.

Usage:

While this stage was a staple starter for most of Brawl's lifetime, recently it has been removed from average-sized starter lists of many tournaments and added to the counterpick list. Some regions have decided to remove it from starter lists with less than 5 or 7 stages, while in other regions it's used as a starter on lists with as little as 3 stages.

Stage Diagrams:

Thats all the basic stuff that gets mentioned in the first page of any 08 discussion thread.

"lulz only nooby wifi spammers like this stage cuz no platfurmz"
"baww i recover bad with marf"

There isn't anything notable there at all except maybe the picture with all the (unexplained?) numbers.
No 08 threads puts it together like that.

A lot of people bring up small points with each thread or make a basic thread, "I want FD to be Counter Pick"

If you wanna think it is, feel free. I'll still say your wrong about it though.

z00ted

The main reason again it that you spat in the face of the people you were applying to join with a troll application. It's not that we don't like your personality, it;s something you did that wouldn't fly ever irl with any other group or job.
The thing is, it's not real life.

You can JOKE around on the internet and get away with it easily.... If someone thought of that post as defiance of any form, they seriously need to calm down and get a reality check or just get off the internet entirely.

He pretty much proved that his application was a joke and withdrew it when he provided a very well thought out and admirable application. The BBR is not providing him with any money, it's NOT a job, in fact he is willing to take the time to offer substantial research and data to IMPROVE Brawl's metagame... yet they nit-pick his joke in effort of lightening the mood and pinpoint it in being the sole reason on why he wasn't admitted.

Some of the members of the BBR really need to get off their high horse and have a heart for once.

Brawl's activity is dwindling down as time progresses, and the leaders of the BBR keep on refusing to let in members that are trying to help it the most.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Uh...I know this might be a little, out of place in this cluster**** of complaining and good debating, but congratulations to everyone that got in.

Yes, I wanted to say it. Continue on.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think we do restrict who we let in a lot, but I do agree with the fact if we let him in over others, which was possible at the time, would have said we let people in who actively spit in our face.

This isn't real life on the internet, but the same reason it would happen irl is why it happened here, people in the group weren't happy with being trolled.

~

As for you and P1, again more to the infraction think I wanna sleep on to think about. Since it may be something we shouldn't do as a group with restrictions.

Browny

Smash Hater
How to: not be **** at forums.

1) If you want something from mods, dont piss them off*

*The only person who thinks you are funny, is yourself.

:phone:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
P1, while your infraction history isn't exactly much of a basis to fault you, there was a general attitude that as an individual you are immature on the boards. I would have liked more Diddy, the skills you have are needed. But then I think about the several times you've posted on P3's account / other silly things. Some would probably not worry about that, going 'they said they'll promise to be mature within', and then they continue to have 'episodes' of craziness after they enter and it doesn't reflect well on the BBR.

The BBR is 'owned' by smashboards, and is technically controlled by the Senate/Staff of this site. We've had instances where we have been told to remove people from the BBR (and all other privileged rooms) after incidents,. At the same time, as staff and an organisation that is meant to reflect Smashboards, having amazing workers who act indecently elsewhere is our concern. As has already been implied, your contributions that you currently do are not being restricted by us (and hence you shouldn't feel dejected and you should continue to 'try' if you wish), but you do not currently 'fit' within the BBR because of not being a positive reflection of the community.

Yes, in a nutshell, a staff member who is already meant to maintain themselves as a role model of the community applied to the BBR in an immature manner. If someone else did a dummy application and then asked us to reconsider after doing a serious one, rather than having to be discreetly told by our members to fix it up, they likely wouldn't have been rejected on that basis. But alas DeLux intended that joke he presented to be his final application and expected to be let in based on that application. If that is not the case, I haven't heard otherwise.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Shaya, if I provided a detailed and reasoned account as to why I made that post, would it belong in this thread or in the user blogs section of the forum. And if I did provide that reasoning, would that be factored into my current status as non-admitted?

DeLux

I was originally tempted to let all of this go or at least attempt to appeal privately for myself while publicly appealing on behalf of Illmatic and Player-1 for the reasons I already outlined, but your organization's PR Officer was the one that brought up the reasoning behind my non-admittance, making it a public matter.

I'll leave the decision up to you though. I don't expect my write up to change the status, but it might dispel the notion that I was attempting to spit in the face of the BBR by posting it and at least mitigate whatever offense I've caused on the egos of the offended BBR members.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Wow, Lux didn't get in. I realize he mains Ice Climbers, but that's some serious hate. TBH, outside of maybe 3 people, I'm completely flabbergasted by the lack of a few others and inclusion of others. You say that some people didn't get in for trolling or for not following forum rules, yet one of the people who commented on Lux's troll post (and got HOPEFULLY a warning about it like I did) got into the bbr. This person talks about alcohol enduced sexual stuff on social boards and trolls all the time. (btw I <3 this person's online personality, no hate to the unnamed person).

I think if you guys would just admit that getting into the BBR is just a popularity contest (like high school again) people wouldn't be so butt hurt about not getting in. Make a disclaimer, something like...

*Note: If you aren't a member of a regional clique you won't get into the bbr.

And I wouldn't have had to have read the last 7 pages to find out who got into the BBR.

I'm incredibly biased, but Lux not getting in is a bigger joke than my application to the BBR.

But I needed a warm up exercise before I applied to schools again, so I applied anyway (wish me luck!)!

1-Well versed in all aspects of tournament play
2-Well versed in all aspects of running a tournament
3-Striving to advance the competitive community
4-An active member in their community
5-A positive reflection on the Smash community
6-Willing and capable of leading
7-Willing and capable of following others
1-I don't main Meta Knight so I guess I don't know much

2-I'm pretty damn good at this one.

3-If it wasn't for me, Nebraska would have forgotten about brawl YEARS (AND I MEAN YEARS) AGO. Also I critique what the bbr does all the time, that counts obviously.

4-See above

5*-I'm assuming this is where I lost points the most because tyser and I just counter troll all the time in every thread ever. buttt, has it occured to you that being a possitive reflection of the community is A LOT MORE THAN ON THE BOARDS? Even interpersonal relationships IRL at smashfests or tournaments don't matter. For example

A. I volunteer at a homeless shelter twice a month (No I don't get paid).
B. I volunteer at a local care and share about three times a month (No, I don't get paid).
C. I babysit my sisters twin niece and nephew (two years old) every friday (No, I don't get paid).
D. I donate blood (yes, I get paid)
E. I work with the elderly sometimes when I get a chance at my local community center I used to work at.
F. I used to work as a mentor to kids as a summer program up here in Omaha.

Yeah I called Pokemon gay on a Nintendo Fanboy website, and that matters more than helping the needy.

More Proof!

*5-Lux threw 2TWO2 tournaments to benefit homeless people, and he didn't get in, what do you judge being a positive reflection of the smash community?

6-Born leader

7-I'm very much assuming that this could be something I lost points on as well, buuuuttttttttttttt I can't help it if I was born that way.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Thing is, you posted there what you expected to bring into the BBR. DeLux is a pretty awesome dude, I'm not going to lie, he would've been a shoe-in in my book. But he decided to shove that down the drain and ruin his chances by showing us in that thread, while others were being professional and actually posting applications and leaving it as it is, he decided it was going to be cool to make a joke post. The BBR isn't a "no fun allowed" forum (believe me, I've been in for over a year now), but we try to be as professional as we can when doing official BBR business.

IMO that's what killed it for me (although he still had MY vote), and I'm sure it was the reason for DeLux not getting in. That small display of immaturity showed us that he had no regards for the mood of the thread, or respect for our wishes, which was simply organization and discipline, nothing more that what the OP asked for. Everyone else didn't make a joke post, and a comment or two were allowed as long as they also took the time to comply with what the OP asked.

EDIT: essentially, he broke a BBR rule before even getting into the BBR. I don't think it was proper mod behavior to joke/troll/be off-topic like that either. I dunno if anyone in the BBR has a big ego since I couldn't care less about how they view themselves, but I know the people I saw reacting to his post were not offended at all, but merely disappointed.

DeLux

Kewkky, I appreciate your honesty and candor.

Despite it being fairly public in debate, I'll respect the BBR's wishes and PM Shaya my response to all of this. Would you like to be CC'd a copy?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If you mean me, DeLux, I think it would be best if you just sent it to Shaya. I've been posting around SWF from my phone for months now, and browsing around is a huge hassle for me. Plus, I really don't have much power with these things, I'm just a normal BBR member. Shaya's got power.

I understand what you're trying to say though, I think that you deleting the joke post and re-applying was good enough of a make-up, but still sure it was what shook your chances.

Top Bottom