• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl 64 - Back to the Basics - Announcement about the title screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Well, has anybody put up a thread in the 64 Forum? We might get some interest/people who know what they're doing there.

Also, I would like to know exactly to what extent we're emulating 64. Is this just going to be SSB64 w/more characters?
It's going to be as close to N64 as we can get it. Certain mechanics, like water, may get different work-arounds.

And I should probably start a thread over there.

Looks like it's died down since it's pretty much off this page, buuut stupid fighting doesn't belong in this thread. Take it to PM if you want to have an argument with each other.

And post if you see a non ISO hacked title screen switch.
This.

And what Zen said too... we need to get the basic stuff done first.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
are we moving to the smash 64 forums? I'm interested on knowing where to find this thread in there, and yes, fighting, arguing or anything related will not help at anything, what will it acomplish? well it would acomplish trash and people would dislike this thread, and maybe the project itself

plz send me the link on a PM or even on here

and, I haven't worked with the characters yet, but, I think that today I'll have the time to do some changes, maybe not all but some of them

*** anyone here votes for the following ***

- Dk's Uair has the Utilt animation, but with same frame speed and hitbox as it was on 64
- C.F Fair and Nair nearly the same as 64
- Mario/Luigi Fair to look like the Bair

I can't think of anything else, I'm not a good players on SSB64, I just want to learnalot about it, and playing it on my own with a wii channel ssb64 doesn't help to learn all about it

WheelOfFish, or anyone interested on helping me accomplish some character changes, add me if you want to my msn

namq@live.com

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
here are the things i think are absoutely dumb about this project:

changing moves just to work like their smash64 counterparts
removing characters because smash64 only had so many
removing side Bs

the reason i think these changes are stupid is because smash64 wasn't about the brokeness or the movesets, it was about the gameplay. if you guys can get the gameplay working right, then you can worry about the details. lack of SideBs believe or not, is not one of the things that made smash64 smash64.

and if you guys wish to do the stupid things listed above, that's fine because you can bet ill be making my own smash64 codeset without those dumb changes and release it to the public.

other than that, i like this project. that video that was posted earlier shows just how sexy that kind of gameplay is and if any noobs come in here saying that zero death combos are stupid then they should GTFO and go play vbrawl, this is a mans game.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman

removing side Bs

the reason i think these changes are stupid is because smash64 wasn't about the brokeness or the movesets, it was about the gameplay. if you guys can get the gameplay working right, then you can worry about the details. lack of SideBs believe or not, is not one of the things that made smash64 smash64.

and if you guys wish to do the stupid things listed above, that's fine because you can bet ill be making my own smash64 codeset without those dumb changes and release it to the public.

other than that, i like this project. that video that was posted earlier shows just how sexy that kind of gameplay is and if any noobs come in here saying that zero death combos are stupid then they should GTFO and go play vbrawl, this is a mans game.
We are only temporarily removing characters as to decrease the workload. Only temporarily. The other characters will be added in soon. Removing side-b's is gonna happen. Sorry. Something I've had to say over and over, and I really don't feel like explaining myself again. But it is essential to the gameplay, and even more important to avoid this becoming an inferior Brawl+. The changes aren't stupid, they help in emulating SSB64. If we keep in side-specials, what's stopping us from including air dodges? Then chargeable smashes? Eventually it would be very much unlike SSB64. I'm in favor of having the original twelve have their original moveset SPECIAL wise, but it's going to be balanced. Having each move look exactly like the 64 animation is not very important to me.

And yeah, there's side-stepping, but no spot dodges.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman

removing side Bs

Jiang!!! hey

lol, I have something to tell you... you are quite right -.-, I know what you mean at all means XD

and, I want to say that, I vote for both stuff, this project is nothing to be considered to use as a comptetitive way

but yet again, it can, and some people here have suggested not removing the Side Specials, some has yet said, yes remove them

I'm here to listen to peoples complains, and peoples requests

I'm not the owner of the project, and don't wish to be one lol

and, I think that, ok, side B's aren't that important, I do feel they aren't

but, I do think stuff like tethering and Zair are also special to melee/brawl

Jiang, you think that only game mechanics should be change and not the characters? if you think that, I'm thinking that could be considered

and next to that will come the balancement

I only think that, we must remove Zair... massive shieldstun, would make it the best shieldstab, and tethering would result in the perfect Gimp thing to edgeguard

just my opinions idk if you think the same things

I'll post sometime later (after someone else posts :p)

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman

removing side Bs

Jiang, I fell in love with you for the second time! :laugh:
That's exactly my thoughts. Minus the "I'll be making my own codeset", since I don't know how to make 'em.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Should probably mention that I'm fine with having more than one codeset if people want to make their own changes.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
i'm sorry, but i don't see how sideBs would affect the gameplay anymore than just 3 of a smash64 style brawl. i'm not going to argue with you because i think this subject is stupid, but you can bet that any person that has played smash64 seriously would agree that getting rid of sideB's would serve nothing but to just complicate your workload and just degrade the game. so good luck, but i intend to get together a bunch of pro 64 players and make a competitive version of this.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
we recently posted that anyone that wants to make their own codeset can post it here (since many will hate the makes of another thread or something like that, forum rules I guess) we might put Codesets at the OP, so people can download them, and test them

jiang will you be using the CSS for 64? that would really help a bit, since we would love to see the 12 cast be able to proof how the gameplay feels, next some balancement withing a week or two

then after some changes, we can add the other characters for the brawl 64 project, it's easier to test few character instead of all 38

I only want to add this, if we are going to fix overall some DI mechanics, fox Utilt is a bit broken cause of the low BKB/KBG not to mention everyone would have their stuff to be able to combo, but, Dair to Ultit it's easy and has no lag on Vbrawl, so no canceling would be needed

anyways, me love jiang too:p

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
i'm sorry, but i don't see how sideBs would affect the gameplay anymore than just 3 of a smash64 style brawl. i'm not going to argue with you because i think this subject is stupid, but you can bet that any person that has played smash64 seriously would agree that getting rid of sideB's would serve nothing but to just complicate your workload and just degrade the game. so good luck, but i intend to get together a bunch of pro 64 players and make a competitive version of this.
I'll be waiting for your own project, Jiang ;).

we recently posted that anyone that wants to make their own codeset can post it here (since many will hate the makes of another thread or something like that, forum rules I guess) we might put Codesets at the OP, so people can download them, and test them

jiang will you be using the CSS for 64? that would really help a bit, since we would love to see the 12 cast be able to proof how the gameplay feels, next some balancement withing a week or two

then after some changes, we can add the other characters for the brawl 64 project, it's easier to test few character instead of all 38

I only want to add this, if we are going to fix overall some DI mechanics, fox Utilt is a bit broken cause of the low BKB/KBG not to mention everyone would have their stuff to be able to combo, but, Dair to Ultit it's easy and has no lag on Vbrawl, so no canceling would be needed

anyways, me love jiang too:p
You always seem to wanna be on people's good sides. Cut it off already...

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
on peoples good side?

well, if you got it that way... lol so what if it is or it isn't?

I like smash man, you know what this term means to me?

S-M-A-S-H???

well it's the game I love, the game that gets my adrenaline high, the game that makes me happy to play with other people

and if I have to go to peoples good side, well I can do that, cause that makes me happy, I love smash overall, with alot of changes or without them

so, you might be right about it, but, know you know why I do it, cause I love spending time with others, have fun with a nicely done game, and always be able to share ideas with anyone

if you are a hater, oh well, what can I do, nothing

well, I just wrote how I feel about your, post?

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
on peoples good side?

well, if you got it that way... lol so what if it is or it isn't?

I like smash man, you know what this term means to me?

S-M-A-S-H???

well it's the game I love, the game that gets my adrenaline high, the game that makes me happy to play with other people

and if I have to go to peoples good side, well I can do that, cause that makes me happy, I love smash overall, with alot of changes or without them

so, you might be right about it, but, know you know why I do it, cause I love spending time with others, have fun with a nicely done game, and always be able to share ideas with anyone

if you are a hater, oh well, what can I do, nothing

well, I just wrote how I feel about your, post?
Cool story, bro. Love your diary.

When your ideas don't put-up with somebody that thinks otherwise, you don't need to start agreeing with them.
Defend your own ****, gosh.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
get high on SMASH!!!

yes.

I'd like sideBs. They don't impair gameplay in any way. Having them is a nice thing. The only potential trouble with them is how they can be used as recovery for some people. Other than that it's finneeeee~

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
get high on SMASH!!!

yes.

I'd like sideBs. They don't impair gameplay in any way. Having them is a nice thing. The only potential trouble with them is how they can be used as recovery for some people. Other than that it's finneeeee~
sideB recoveries wont be bad as soon as we find out how to remove autosnaps, which I believe camelot figured out. Other than that, theyre just an extra attack.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
lol, if that was my dairy, well I didn't knew Dairies were written on short posts and on one sentence XD hahaha

and I see that you are a hater, you like making people hate you, and you love hating people, I've seen like hundreds with the likes of you, hahaha, reminded me of my old times

but, I'm not here to fight so, next post you send, will be ignored by me *awsome face*

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
lol, if that was my dairy, well I didn't knew Dairies were written on short posts and on one sentence XD hahaha

and I see that you are a hater, you like making people hate you, and you love hating people, I've seen like hundreds with the likes of you, hahaha, reminded me of my old times

but, I'm not here to fight so, next post you send, will be ignored by me *awsome face*
I'm not a "hater". I'm trying to tell you that you're better off defending your own ideas instead of agreeing with the ones who don't have the same ones as you.

I once was like you before, and people thought it was annoying. I, now, understand why.

Not hatin' here, just pointing out the truth. If I were that kinda guy, a lot of members here would know me on these forums. Do they? Not a lot, I'm just some random guy.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
ohhh, I got it I got it, sorry sorry

ok ok, lol

hmmm, if you are random or not, it's ok by me, cause all members in here are random to me, since I live far away and don't know anyone on the forums, and so am I a random guy :p

thats not the point I want to give -.-

lol

I was trying to go with the last ideas of the project, like support it (like you said, go to the good side of people) and obviously support it alot

and since WheelOfFish wanted to emulate the project like SSB64 was, I was just trying to support it to the max

but, some of you, including you, jiang and some others were not ok with removing specials and you guys brought ideas, and as you said :p I go to peoples good side, well, this would mean, that already agreed with your ideas, so now, I'm supporting you, it's the firstt time I say to keep all specials on all the posts

and also, it's not my ideas, I just read the OP, and there it said all the stuff I was posting, so I basically just followed some of the OP stuff, since that was the first projects pourpose

now he agree's with having more than one Brawl 64 codeset, like they did with B+ code they had the official codeset, and 2-3 more codeset made by:

kupo
MuBa
mookie (I think it was mokierah or something)

so, we can have Jiangs codeset and WheelOfFish one too

I'm just saying, that I am learning some stuff on PSA, and I can try to do character changes there for you

anyways, buddy, I think you are cool, so I'm also going to your good side :) can we be just pal/parternes/buddys (anything related :p) ?

c ya ^^ and peace

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
3 sets... That was until they decided that Brawl Plussery would be tournament standards.

There's only the Nightly Builds (which are made for tests) and Official Builds. Which are tournament standards. Basically, that's only one codeset that's really taken in account.

I want to make this clear.
Is this project a "community project" or not? It's far from being like Brawl+.
As Brawl+ involves the community and they actually don't remove anything that doesn't seem to change the game mechanics. (i.e: SIDE Bs, Smash Charging).
In reality, I've already got my answer. Suggestions ain't even considered.

In any case, I'm out of here.
Learn your grammar by the way.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
But here's the thing. The goal of this project is to emulate Smash 64 with Brawl. Why would I stray from the purpose of the whole project because some people don't like how things worked in Smash 64? It's stupid. I get told that side-specials, air-dodges, chargeable smash attacks, z-airs, gliding, ect., ect., should be left in. What would Brawl 64 be left with? High hitstun? I've had suggestions to have it lower than Smash 64.

Your options were limited in Smash 64. Especially defense and recovery options. This should not change. Sorry, but I want this to feel like Smash 64. I'm not the only one. You may think it's possible to leave in everything and still get SSB64 2.0 as a result, but it's not that simple.

RyuReiatsu, don't act like I don't consider suggestions because I disagree with you. I consider suggestions that don't change the goal of the project. Not to mention that I said that people are more than welcome to make their own code sets.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
so good luck, but i intend to get together a bunch of pro 64 players and make a competitive version of this.
lol, I'm going to guess you've never been to the 64 boards. Most of the top players don't care about stuff like this, and they usually flame less reputable people who try to start intelligent discussion.

Anyway, I'm impartial about removing side-B's and charging. I think WheelofFish is right, we don't want this to end up just being brawl+ with a bit more hit/shieldstun. But I'm not gonna complain if they are left in.

Any news on further improvements?

Limeee

Smash Champion
actually i would prefer the original 64 chars and just balance them and give them as much cool stuff as you can, instead of doing a huge failed project and all bazillion chars in brawl

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
This project is in dire need of organization, and less random people saying random ****.
This.

I've been insanely busy so I haven't been able to do or post much, but please stop throwing random suggestions/ideas/complaints/concerns around for the time being unless you made some brilliant discovery or have a helpful code or something like that. When I get some time, I'll get on top of everything.

Rikana

Smash Champion
I was just talking about ssb64 last night and hoping that someone would pick up on it and make Brawl a Brawl64.

I think the project is dead anyways so..

I think it should keep everything Brawl has. Only thing to add/readjust is:

-hitstun; amplify it like crazy
-shield hitstun; same as above
-physics; can be more like Brawl+'s physics
-manual l-cancel; reduces ALL lag
-ledge cancels; if possible
-platform drop; we will leave side stepping in but include this also. make it specific like.. control stick down + shield is side step. cStick down + shield is platform drop (side step when not on a platform)
-DJC for the originals; ness and yoshi
-possibly little adjustments for certain attacks that are broken when these things are applied

Everything else left alone so its more of a "modernized" ssb64

BEES

Smash Lord
I was just talking about ssb64 last night and hoping that someone would pick up on it and make Brawl a Brawl64.

I think the project is dead anyways so..

I think it should keep everything Brawl has. Only thing to add/readjust is:

-hitstun; amplify it like crazy
-shield hitstun; same as above
-physics; can be more like Brawl+'s physics
-manual l-cancel; reduces ALL lag
-ledge cancels; if possible
-platform drop; we will leave side stepping in but include this also. make it specific like.. control stick down + shield is side step. cStick down + shield is platform drop (side step when not on a platform)
-DJC for the originals; ness and yoshi
-possibly little adjustments for certain attacks that are broken when these things are applied

Everything else left alone so its more of a "modernized" ssb64
I'm up for this.

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
How do you plan on bringing back the SSB stages?

When the project is finished, will you ever consider on adding the beta characters (Peach, Bowser, Pit, King dedede, and possibly Meowth?)

Can I have a cheese burger?

I would help, but the only thing I'm capable of is making custom stages from Stage studio. How will you get rid of subspace emmisarry?

What are you going to do to change the path of classic mode?

BEES

Smash Lord
We have most of what we need already physics wise

Gravity, shield, S-Cancel, No ASL, and hitstun modifications are already there. I don't know if a no-airdodging code exists, but we can do no airdodge in tumble. A no-shieldgrabbing code might have to be invented, but maybe really heavy shieldstun will be adequate. A slow spot-dodge also? Heck, I made a GCT with all of this in 5 seconds. I'll go test it.

PACS... maybe just adopt PACs from B+ to make it easier?

Slap the Brawl64 banner PAC on there and voila.

Obviously a taunt-canceling code is needed, among other things.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
I am also interested. This is a great idea! I would lol at the tier list for this game. But yeah, 64 was great in some ways, and it could only get better if made in Brawl style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom