• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl 64 - Back to the Basics - Announcement about the title screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, probably. XD

A little (don't worry I have a much bigger version and it's far from finished) preview of what I've been working on. It'd be cool if we could make a custom title screen. Critiques/suggestions would be nice. It's somewhat supposed to emulate the SSB64 title.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Wooooow. Nice.

If you could bring back some menu songs and the original announcer sounds it would get even better.

'FREE FOR ALL'

'BREAK THE TARGETS!'

'BOARD THE--' ah wait a minute!

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
Useful threads:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=80690

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=80947

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=100456

No, S-cancelling DOES NOT do exactly what Z-cancelling does.

^That is correct.

Yoshi's powershield has 4 frames to do so. It is stated in one of the useful threads I've posted.

Hitlag exists on all moves except throws. Hence, you can SDI all moves but throws. This too is stated in one of the threads at the top of this post.

Crounch cancel exists. Dash cancel doesn't. Again, look at the threads I posted.
hey man, the third link T.T it's awsome :D, this will help me a bunch :D:D:D time to do some new softer modding :D

BIG EDIT!!!

man... the third link... this is amazing... going to input all the data of the jabs, F/B/Nair, the tilts and the 2 smashes to my new codeset, sorry for the delay, I haven't started >_>, this won't take any minute, editing .pacs for this project is no big deal (well it will, but not for the original 12 cast)

also, I got a question, will there be a similar data gathering, but for hitbox data? would be useful, to make the Old combo's come back

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Trouble with that is eventually we'll have to improve balance. XD N64 wasn't too bad balance-wise when compared to Melee or Brawl though.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Don't forget to make the stage's boundaries super huge to make up for the lack of DI.
You are terribly misinformed. You should actually TRY playing smash 64 before you come up with these lies.

Anybody that decides to contribute to it make sure to actually play the game and maybe check out the ssb64 section here in swf

kr3wman

Smash Master
You're gonna say the boundaries on Melee Corneria are bigger than Sector Z or Greens Greens is bigger than Dreamland?

wtf.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
hmmm I think he's trying to say about the lack of DI, and I think it's true, there is DI in N64, the timming for me seemed different, but yeah there is DI, and actually there is SDI

I'm not a N64 SBB player, but, I'm also learning about it once in a while, I channeled it to the wii so I can play it on the wii with a Game Cube controler, and I'm starting to learn my way

N64 has some hard physics, to those (me included) that are veteran melee players or veteran brawl players

once you get use to it, the game feels great ^^

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
he also said lack of DI. there IS DI in smash 64. and green greens is actually bigger than dreamland.... on dreamland if you get spiked you die ON SCREEN lol

edit: ninja'd lol

kr3wman

Smash Master
I didn't say Smash or Sliding DI, I said DI.

And on Dreamland you get killed at 60% after a upair?

wtf people come on.

gskhan

Smash Rookie
will there be a similar data gathering, but for hitbox data? would be useful, to make the Old combo's come back
You should try and contact ant-d. He's possibly the best person for anything and everything to do with this thread and its goals.

You're gonna say the boundaries on Melee Corneria are bigger than Sector Z or Greens Greens is bigger than Dreamland?
You're gonna say 2 stages of different sizes have stage boundaries that aren't the same? You might as well compare Hyrule Castle with Hyrule Temple, Smash 64 Mushroom Kingdom with Melee Mushroom Kingdom, Smash 64 Peach's Castle with Melee Peach's Castle, Planet Zebes with Brinstar. Why? Because you're comparing 2 stages that aren't even the same stage to begin with. Yes, they're similar (no surprise seeing as how the Melee ones are based upon the Smash 64 ones, like a re-design or re-make) since they're form the same series, but that's it. They play different, look different, different shapes, sizes, features etc.

If you're gonna try and compare stage boundary sizes, compare the EXACT same stages in more than one game. By exact, I really do mean EXACT. For example, it wouldn't be fair to compare Smash 64 FD with Brawl FD. Why? Because they have different design in terms of stage size, shape etc. The only stages that can be compared are Smash 64 Dream Land, Congo Jungle and Yoshi's Island with the ones that are put into Melee. If the boundaries have changed, then it would be correct to do so. If they haven't then do not change the boundaries as it is incorrect to do so.

hmmm I think he's trying to say about the lack of DI, and I think it's true, there is DI in N64, the timming for me seemed different, but yeah there is DI, and actually there is SDI
he also said lack of DI. there IS DI in smash 64.
I didn't say Smash or Sliding DI, I said DI.
The Smash series has 2 types of DI. These are "regular" DI and SDI.

"Regular" DI allows one to change the knockback angle they receive when hit. To do this, hold a direction with the control stick. The best direction is perpendicular to the moves default angle. "Regular" DI is read once hitlag wears off. It exists only in Melee and Brawl.

SDI allows one to "teleport" their character over small distances whilst they have been hit. To do this, you can either rapidly tap one direction (aka TDI) or use a quarter circle motion (aka QCDI). SDI is read once per frame of hitlag. It exists in all 3 games and is the only form of DI in Smash 64.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Gahh... I can't figure out how to make the ledge sweetspot smaller or remove reverse ledge grabbing. Any ideas?

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
No, it's not, but thank you. It's something that I threw together really quick as sort of the concept art for the title screen. Which leads me into a very exciting announcement...

I convinced my very talented friend, Bailey, aka Miss-Deathwish on dA to agree to make the actual title screen.

If you don't know who Bailey is, I recommend you browse through her gallery. She does mostly photography now-a-days, but she's incredible at photoshop too. She's going to make a grungier, more aesthetically-pleasing, darker, more intense, more SSB-y, and overall, more awesome version of my title screen.

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
smash 64 has sliding DI and smash DI, but regular DI wont work.

also, complaining about the ssb64 boundary lines is really dumb, would you like to get killed after a throw at really low % ? light characters such as Jigglypuff would never survive on a stage like Dreamland.

also i agree with everything the smash rookie said ^^^

MattNF

Smash Lord
couple things:

"- Possible character model size reduction"
SSB64 characters are bigger. You can tell this by comparing Dreamland in Melee, and in 64. In Melee, Dreamland is huge as hell and it's one of the larger stages.
In SSB64, it's more normal sized and a bit like Brawl's Battlefield.

"- No fastfalling on aerials"
you can do an aerial while fastfalling >_> Unless you mean fastfalling while you're doing the aerial animation, then you'd be right.

"- Enlarged stage boundaries"
Uh, what?

"- Grabbing out of failed techs"
I don't even know what this means.

"Obviously Over power projectiles"
SSB64 projectiles aren't "overpowered".

"Trouble with that is eventually we'll have to improve balance. XD N64 wasn't too bad balance-wise when compared to Melee or Brawl though."
SSB64 isn't as balanced as people think it is. Pikachu literally has no bad matchups (similar to MK in Brawl) among other things

Melee, at the top level, is more balanced than ssb64 (isai is the exception to this obviously)

"When you push shield while hanging on a ledge, you just do your get-up attack in 64, as opposed to rolling onto the stage as in Melee/Brawl. So your only options on the ledge were to do a get-up attack, ledgehop, or just climb up."
uhh what the *** is this guy talking about. You can roll onto the stage in ssb64

Also Ness Kirby and Pikachu Need to be top tier for old times sake.
Ness is Mid-Low in ssb64. stop referring to old *** tier lists made by gamefaqs noobs

"You are terribly misinformed. You should actually TRY playing smash 64 before you come up with these lies.

Anybody that decides to contribute to it make sure to actually play the game and maybe check out the ssb64 section here in swf"
I agree with near. too many noobs in this topic

tsunami70875

Smash Journeyman
"Trouble with that is eventually we'll have to improve balance. XD N64 wasn't too bad balance-wise when compared to Melee or Brawl though."[/B]

SSB64 isn't as balanced as people think it is. Pikachu literally has no bad matchups (similar to MK in Brawl) among other things

Melee, at the top level, is more balanced than ssb64
no no
matchups and tiers were all kinda just shady in Smash 64, since every character could 0-death everyone else, with the excpetion of Samus, who just kinda sucked
matchups in itself would be a nightmare to consider, when think "ok, we have a 0-death on them, but they can 0-death us as well".
among other things, pikachu was awesome because he had an awesome recovery, which explains why link was considered probably the worst in Smash 64

MattNF

Smash Lord
no no
matchups and tiers were all kinda just shady in Smash 64, since every character could 0-death everyone else, with the excpetion of Samus, who just kinda sucked
matchups in itself would be a nightmare to consider, when think "ok, we have a 0-death on them, but they can 0-death us as well".
among other things, pikachu was awesome because he had an awesome recovery, which explains why link was considered probably the worst in Smash 64
Right, because you're a top level player and you're obviously in the position to make a sweeping generalization like this

this shows how ignorant you are on ssb64s metagame

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Stage boundaries are huge in SSB. Characters in Brawl are significantly bigger than they were in either Melee or SSB. And yeah, I was saying fast-falling while doing aerials.

And Melee was less balanced (not insulting Melee by any means, it's a great game) than SSB. Pikachu was too good, yeah, but almost any character could be viable in SSB. Melee, not so much. You could say that Taj was great with Mewtwo, Chudat could handle Pichu, that Gimpy was a good Bowser, ect., but their tournament results are not reflective of their skills because they were playing crappy characters. Balance in SSB wasn't perfect, but it wasn't horrible.

But why does this even matter? Brawl 64 will be balanced once we get the physics anyway. We'll make sure every character is at least viable, and there aren't any HUGE stand-outs.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Wow.
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Ness_(SSB)

What now dude? Your move.

I stand by my point. Make. Ness, Kirby and Pikachu Top TEIR!
lol @ you using smashwiki

Let's see.

We have a random scrub on the brawl boards saying Ness is good and uses old outdated tier lists.

Yet every ss64 pro, or semi-pro (including myself) knows Ness is nowhere near top, or even high tier material. He's mid at best and low at worst.

I wonder which side I'll choose.

Go on the SSB64 subforum and trying debating that Ness is top tier and youll have your arguments demolished

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know how to replace the title screen?

Not that the official one is done... currently in the works.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I've heard that the title screen isn't replacable by the file patch code currently, but I don't think anyone can confirm this.

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
tsunami70875 said:

maybe you should play smash 64 in a competetive way before talking crap about it
you seem to know nothing about classic smash, your opinion is no longer valid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoFlSIxTBMU&feature=PlayList&p=4A9F6CC8E83A31E7&index=0

even falcon dittos (falcon being the best comboing char in the game) are not z2d crap matches like you think they are

kr3wman

Smash Master
you can do an aerial while fastfalling >_> Unless you mean fastfalling while you're doing the aerial animation, then you'd be right.

I don't even know what this means.
1. Yeah I meant that.

2. When somebody fails to tech you can grab them.

I didn't word that really well, so its my fault.

EDIT : Can't... stop... looking at sig...

PKNintendo

Smash Master
lol @ you using smashwiki

Let's see.

We have a random scrub on the brawl boards saying Ness is good and uses old outdated tier lists.

Yet every ss64 pro, or semi-pro (including myself) knows Ness is nowhere near top, or even high tier material. He's mid at best and low at worst.

I wonder which side I'll choose.

Go on the SSB64 subforum and trying debating that Ness is top tier and youll have your arguments demolished
A semi pro? More like an *** and a half.

Yeah I may be wrong, but there's no need to make yourself look like an utter douche!
so... tier list smart ***?

n88

Smash Lord
You two do realize that you're arguing over whether the psychic eight-year old was one of the best characters in a video game that's what? Ten years old?

At any rate, older tier lists are mostly what's easy to find. It's common knowledge that Ness was top in SSB64. Not necessarily true, but it's a belief most people hold. It's not really fair to flip out on someone for it. You'd spend your entire day ranting at people.

MattNF

Smash Lord
You two do realize that you're arguing over whether the psychic eight-year old was one of the best characters in a video game that's what? Ten years old?
What's this even supposed to mean? The game is 10 years old, therefore we shouldn't debate it at all? What a dum statement

At any rate, older tier lists are mostly what's easy to find. It's common knowledge that Ness was top in SSB64. Not necessarily true, but it's a belief most people hold. It's not really fair to flip out on someone for it. You'd spend your entire day ranting at people.
"its ok to be wrong if if you've been really wrong for a long time"

Anyway, I don't really need to be in this thread any longer, so... bye.

n88

Smash Lord
@MattNF

You're probably not going to read this, but I have some advice for you. This may sound like a strange concept to you, but try THINKING about what you read. My first point was that the argument is incredibly pointless, so it doesn't need to be a major issue.

My second was not "its ok to be wrong if if you've been really wrong for a long time", but rather "Try not freaking out on people because they aren't perfect".

Moving on, ' think I've seen a modification of the title screen, but I'm not sure. I'll have to dig for it.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Fail. Ness is 13-14 yrs old, u scrubber.

And post if you see a non ISO hacked title screen switch.

tsunami70875

Smash Journeyman
maybe you should play smash 64 in a competetive way before talking crap about it
you seem to know nothing about classic smash, your opinion is no longer valid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoFlSIxTBMU&feature=PlayList&p=4A9F6CC8E83A31E7&index=0

that's not even what i'm saying
however, every character does have ways to 0-death every character in the game, with almost no defense mechanism in place

and obviously you seem rathered self assured uploading a video with yourself in it

n88

Smash Lord
I LOVE the concept of this project, but most of the people in here dont know what they're talking about and that's pretty lame.
Well, has anybody put up a thread in the 64 Forum? We might get some interest/people who know what they're doing there.

Also, I would like to know exactly to what extent we're emulating 64. Is this just going to be SSB64 w/more characters?

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
OF COURSE every characters have at least one z2d combo (excluding samus which her combos are dependant to environment). However, you cant just combo anywhere, anytime. Most of the combos are dependant to the stage (walls, platforms, floor height variation, ect). Also, z2d combos arent that easy, especially if you're playing a good player, who knows how to DI/use combo breaking moves. Its all about where you stand and what your % is if you want to get combo'd.

And yes, I used my video. So what ? I am one of the most experienced 64 players on these boards, and no, I'm not a narcissic player nor a pretentious gamer. I just took this video because Falcon is the best character to combo with in the game, and a fight between two high leveled players would be a good example to demonstrate ssb64 isnt just a combo hell.

If you feel more comfortable watching top players :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-pDsK2k9DY

Falcon Uair to Up+B combos are the most basic yet effective.

Main differences between SSB64 and Brawl :

- No sidestep
- No airdodge
- No Side Special
- Smash attacks aren't chargeable
- Aerial attacks can only be fast-falled before or after the hit
- Ledge can only be grabbed when facing it
- Dash Dancing/Dash Pivot/Edgepigging can be done

Well, has anybody put up a thread in the 64 Forum? We might get some interest/people who know what they're doing there.

Also, I would like to know exactly to what extent we're emulating 64. Is this just going to be SSB64 w/more characters?
No, I think smackis (or something like that) is asking questions about the 64 physics, but I haven't seen anyone posting a thread/reply about this project. Maybe I should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom