• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brainshock βeta : M2K, MJG, Ally, Pierce7d, Teczero, Joker - STREAMS @ TOP OF OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soran

Smash Ace
*facepalm at Soren* unless... that dude is going >_>
I actually think he plays Marth too... idk.

who made the sig for the original Brainshock? let's make another awesome sig ^o^

Echo

Smash Champion
The first three times I beat Mother 2 I never even considered using brainshock. Then the fourth time I actually used it... I wasn't missing much. It is inferior to starstorm. Ok I might have tried it once but it probably failed so I didn't try it again.

Anyway, I might come to this if the melee turnout is looking good.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Uhm, Meno made it, and it was really quite nice. I'll be trying to make another myself.

Also sorry for the slow updates, I'm on vacation in Florida.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Last one was awesome, so you can expect the majority of IL (10~15 ppl+) to be attending! Including myself :)
Hey, Akashi, do you know if there are carpools being set up for this event already? If someone can give me a ride, I'm coming to this.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
*facepalm at Soren* unless... that dude is going >_>
I actually think he plays Marth too... idk.

who made the sig for the original Brainshock? let's make another awesome sig ^o^
this is correctish....

however I primarily go metaknight or ice climbers in tournament, I did however go marth previously.

Rockstar

Smash Ace
I'll be there. Go ahead and add me to the list of attendence. Yink this sounds fun and all, but are you not banning DDD/DK/Squirtle/Charizards/Marth's infinite chaingrab release on Ness/Lucas? I didnt see that in the rules anywhere. If so, I won't make it far at all in the bracket.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Yink :)

Are you going to my tournament? :) :)

If you go to mine I'll do everything I can to make it to yours :) :) :)

No promises though because I MIGHT be in socal for family stuff at the time :(

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Wait, is melee supposed to be at this too? There's no info on it in the details. D:
I'll have to add them on, it'll be a side tournament like at the last one but we had a good number of people enter it last time, so don't worry I'll edit the OP

I'll be there. Go ahead and add me to the list of attendence. Yink this sounds fun and all, but are you not banning DDD/DK/Squirtle/Charizards/Marth's infinite chaingrab release on Ness/Lucas? I didnt see that in the rules anywhere. If so, I won't make it far at all in the bracket.
I guess you didn't read very well:

"The OP Rules said:
-ALL standing infinites are banned
-DeDeDe's Infinite grab. You CANNOT Chain grab IN PLACE. NOT EVEN ONCE. The small step CG is banned as well. Normal CG is legal.
And btw, Charizard, Squirtle and DK all have smallsteps/move. They're not standing so they're not banned. I can deal with it, so you can deal with it.

Yink :)

Are you going to my tournament? :) :)

If you go to mine I'll do everything I can to make it to yours :) :) :)

No promises though because I MIGHT be in socal for family stuff at the time :(
I'll try.

Wow Yink that looks like a really nice venue, and it's not even pricey.
UNTIL I went in and they said it's actually 480, because that rate is past July 1st. This venue stays open until midnight only.

SO I'm going to ask you guys a big question:

Would you prefer I got my old venue, but got 2 days, or to change the date to July 2nd and have one day with this new venue?

I want to be as fair as possible.

DeLux

I'll try.
All I can ask for. Are you housing people? If you are, I want to talk some EB Kids metagame with you at some point, and after the tournament housing seems like the easiest thing.

UNTIL I went in and they said it's actually 480, because that rate is past July 1st. This venue stays open until midnight only.

SO I'm going to ask you guys a big question:

Would you prefer I got my old venue, but got 2 days, or to change the date to July 2nd and have one day with this new venue?

I want to be as fair as possible.
I love two day tournaments. If you did seeding pools one day then bracket the next, that would be great. However, most people don't seem to like two day tournaments.

I don't know what Iowa's housing situation is like. If you have adequate housing for out of state players, and doing a two day doesn't really alter attendance numbers, you might as well in my opinion if it lowers the stress level for you.

Really since you're putting in the risk for fronting money for the venue, whatever is best for you is what you should do. I mean, take the opinion of everyone else because they'll be the attending pool, but it's not worth stressing yourself out over or risking your wallet over imo

side note: While it sounds conflicting, if it were me, I'd go for the cheaper venue. Lower overhead while trying to maintain same levels of revenue. Plus it's really less risk. I'd just be a time nazi and would DQ people that really lagged it up for me.

DeLux

$480 for a venue would be 96 people to break even at $5 venue fees. That doesn't take into account setup discounts and things like that. Then there's always the possibility that someone accidentally does something dumb and puts the TO in a liability situation.

It isn't so much about making money as it is lowering the risk of losing money. You can't fault someone for thinking in those terms in my opinion, especially if they are doing a service to the community.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I'm not sure how you do things, but since when is it the goal of a TO to make money by running an event?
$480 for a venue would be 96 people to break even at $5 venue fees. That doesn't take into account setup discounts and things like that. Then there's always the possibility that someone accidentally does something dumb and puts the TO in a liability situation.

It isn't so much about making money as it is lowering the risk of losing money. You can't fault someone for thinking in those terms in my opinion, especially if they are doing a service to the community.
This.

I'm not trying to MAKE money at all, I'm trying to not lose money. Please try to understand that. I was going to use any money I actually profited with as a pot bonus too, so jeez.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
If the we get the venue we initially wanted, venue fee will be $5. If we go to the old venue, it'll be $10 like last time.

Understand that to run the tournament, we'll have money tied up until the actual event. It's not about making money or not even losing money in all honesty. It's the fact we won't be seeing any of our money back for months.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
The OP says 10$ for venue, 5$ with a setup. Based on the success of the first Brainshock event, you would easily top your requirement.

Plus isn't that 480 based on a date that you are avoiding for running the event because over the summer the price drops 200$?

Was the old venue more expensive or something? I think I am missing something if you are trying to make the old venue have a higher venue fee? Or is that just to compensate for the fact that it is 2 days?

BPx

Smash Lord
I don't think a 2 day is a good idea, just based on the fact that a lot of Iowa's housing is in Des Moines. Thats a 2 hour drive, 8 hrs of driving total, in two days, for in-state and out of state that are staying in DSM.

DeLux

Oro, there was a tournament in Washington DC recently. It depended on expected turnout based on past events to fund a more extravagant venue. In the end, people were dissatisfied how the money situation played out for that tournament because numbers were, while relatively strong for a tournament, lower than expected.

If you feel that $480 or whatever the venue fee is to risk isn't a large deal, I suggest that you front the tournament fees, and then you will be reimbursed afterwards if the tournament covers that.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
It would cost more for two days. The IMU venue (the one we want) would be $260, because we would move the date back into July to get that price. There's also an issue of parking in this city. For the IMU you would have to park in the ramp which is an additional expense to you the player.

We are thinking of every possible scenario. If people don't like what we end up getting, it's up to them whether to come or not. We can only do our best while trying to consider everyone's needs.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
The OP says 10$ for venue, 5$ with a setup. Based on the success of the first Brainshock event, you would easily top your requirement.

Plus isn't that 480 based on a date that you are avoiding for running the event because over the summer the price drops 200$?

Was the old venue more expensive or something? I think I am missing something if you are trying to make the old venue have a higher venue fee? Or is that just to compensate for the fact that it is 2 days?
Oki, I will try to explain this as easily as possible:

1. The venue fee is 10 dollars, and 0 if you bring a full setup. That 5 was for bringing a copy of Melee and a memory card.

2. 480 dollars is for June 25th, but if I could get a date PAST July 1st (assuming I can even get one at the new venue) it's 260. Obviously I'd change venue prices if this were the case but just bear with me.

3. They would be about the same, but the old one closed at 10 and that's too early, so I'd get one for 2 days (and then it'd be 400 dollars+ and also 100 dollars for a security deposit).

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Edit: Yink's post helps.

Double Edit: Okay, so then it sounds like the old venue would be more expensive if you did 2 days. Honestly I think we could've finished in time last Brainshock, but it is your decision.

Also you totally changed that OP today you cheater, it was 10$/5$ when I posted. :p

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
EDIT: Oro with them sneaky edits :p

I didn't change it today, it's exactly the same as the price minus like a word from the old wording in the old thread lol! Don't even try :p

Then okay, if you guys are so sure, I'll just get one day, at the new venue (I hope) on July 2nd. I can only hope that's still open.

MJG

Smash Hero
Sorry I don't mean to be a jerk about this, but certain tournaments have made me sour to the subject. So just wanted to say sorry Yink. ;)
I thought of SiiS when you were posting and then again when I saw this...anyways..just woke up, **** the bull ****...lalala

Shoop dooop. Whatta butta whatttta ????

WEEEEEEEEEEE OUT.

DeLux

In regards to the OP, the college football season doesn't start until late August, so there shouldn't be any sort of conflict in that regard.

Dnyce

Smash Master

THuGz

Smash Lord
LOL grab releasing melee players who are just playing friendlies is hilarious. They get so mad and start the brawl is a bad game johns.

THuGz

Smash Lord
Dude I saw you made the IL PR. You guys are really just letting anyone on the PR huh? :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom