• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So I won that tournament I mentioned.

It was a mix of FFA and 1v1, much like the E3 Invitational. I admittedly used Samus for most of it, but Bowser was an invaluable asset in some FFA matches.

He brought destruction to all who dared shield. :4bowser:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Ha too late for today (unless towards late night time) but soon!
We can shoot for Wedsnesday. Won't get off work until then. This idiotic Labor Day screwed over my work schedule. And I was supposed to get my vacation week.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
We can shoot for Wedsnesday. Won't get off work until then. This idiotic Labor Day screwed over my work schedule. And I was supposed to get my vacation week.
Ha let me know on GAF though, I don't check smashboards enough. This is the new cross-forum meta...

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
How good is Bowser to you? Is he near the bottom of the characters? I have put a decent amount of time into playing as him, and I don't think he is very good.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
How good is Bowser to you? Is he near the bottom of the characters? I have put a decent amount of time into playing as him, and I don't think he is very good.
Bowser is a character where he teaches to understand fundamentals on how the game works.

Chances are if you think he isn't good is mainly because you aren't good yourself.

Bowser is powerful but can be shut down by zoners and more speedy combo centric characters.

He isn't bad but he isn't superb either.

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
Bowser is a character where he teaches to understand fundamentals on how the game works.

Chances are if you think he isn't good is mainly because you aren't good yourself.

Bowser is powerful but can be shut down by zoners and more speedy combo centric characters.

He isn't bad but he isn't superb either.
So it looks like your putting him near the middle? I think he's lower than that. Because you said he's not bad.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Bowser is pretty exceptional in my opinion. I don't care much for tiers in Smash 4 because it's basically the good guys and then an ocean of "mid tier maybes". I've had a taste of playing him back in Melee where he was indisputably a bad character, and the difference is night and day. He's not just a collection of gimmicks who looks funny trying to wavedash and approach. Now he's a more developed fighter, excelling in areas that a lot of other characters struggle in, like racking up damage and getting clean kills with a variety of moves that don't require a hard read. Take his Bair, for instance. A frame 9 move that deals 19% damage and kills reliably. This isn't even one of our notable attacks, and many characters would kill to have this in their air game. He's got some excellent range on moves, letting him outreach anybody not wielding a sword. This allows you to play him as something of a mid range zoner rather than all out aggression if you wanted. He's got bad frame data and very little of a combo game, but the reward on hit for everything is very sweet. Not as sweet as landing a Fair as shiek or a grab as Luigi, but you've got a lot of options to work with once you've got a feel for what the opponent is going to do. And heavy characters have always been about playing off of their opponent.

Bowser is definitely not top tier, but Bowser played optimally can be really scary to fight against. Many people on these boards post their results from tournaments and they sound very promising. Also, I do think he's one of the easier characters to pick up and play. Our character-specific tech is fairly trivial. Perfoming pivot grabs on command, teaching yourself when and how not to tech the ground and use Side B instead, knowing how tough guy alters matchups like Mega Man, Ness, and Luigi, and knowing how the bowsercide glitch works and how you should play around it.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
A couple patches ago some people here were saying something to the effect of between top 25-30 in the game IIRC. Now since Ike, Wii Fit Trainer, Marth, Charizard and others have received comprehensive buffs and DLC characters were released, while Bowser hasn't gotten much besides his utilt, we can say Bowser is probably closer to around 30th best. At worst a bit past 30th, let's say 35th. There are 55 characters in this game. It is considered the best balanced Smash game of the series. I don't know, would you say that's near the bottom?

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
Bowser feels right smack dab in the middle of the tiers right now, but will probably drop as the game evolves.

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
A couple patches ago some people here were saying something to the effect of between top 25-30 in the game IIRC. Now since Ike, Wii Fit Trainer, Marth, Charizard and others have received comprehensive buffs and DLC characters were released, while Bowser hasn't gotten much besides his utilt, we can say Bowser is probably closer to around 30th best. At worst a bit past 30th, let's say 35th. There are 55 characters in this game. It is considered the best balanced Smash game of the series. I don't know, would you say that's near the bottom?
Not quite near the bottom of the list. Good reply.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Well all the Bowsers drowned at Paragon today. Big shoutouts to Big Sean and A Stray Cat. We played a TON of friendlies that were seriously waaaaaay too much fun! We also had a Bowser dinner with @ UltimaLuminaire UltimaLuminaire that was super hype. Pic was taken too!

On another note, I'm gonna be taking a break for a good long while. It's been a very long time since I've been satisfied with my tournament placement. Gonna be taking it easy for a while. :)

Boozer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevilBoozer
3DS FC
4124-5214-3831
speaking of tournaments, i ended up getting 9th out of 112 entrants at the major i attended last weekend, getting 1st seed in my pool. would've liked to have cracked top 8 but 9th is good too so cool cool :^}

did manage to get 2nd in doubles tho! my teammate and i even managed to be the only team to take a game off the winning team :D

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
speaking of tournaments, i ended up getting 9th out of 112 entrants at the major i attended last weekend, getting 1st seed in my pool. would've liked to have cracked top 8 but 9th is good too so cool cool :^}

did manage to get 2nd in doubles tho! my teammate and i even managed to be the only team to take a game off the winning team :D
You should tell them what you lost to in singles, that's my favourite part of the story <3 :secretkpop:

Kooky Koopa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koopa1989
3DS FC
4184-2976-0132
I placed 5/15 in the doubles tournament this weekend at Celtic Throwdown, a big Irish Smash tournament event.

We lost to the winners of the tournament but we were the only team to take a game off them, was super intense. Our team was Team Capser (Bowser and Captain Falcon) and the winners were a Rosalina and Metaknight. Was great fun and the atmosphere and fun of meeting and sparring with other great players from the UK, France and Northern Ireland made me love the Smash scene all the more.

Last edited:

a stray cat

Smash Cadet
Said pic from paragon:

From the left: me, Zigsta, Big Sean, and UltimaLuminaire

It was great to meet you guys! Our ridiculous Bowser dittos were awesome.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
^ things like those make me jealous of your ability to attend tournaments, in the U.S to boot while I'm stuck here.

:sadsheep:

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
"Perfect parrying" is what they call it now? I thought being able to act immediately out of a powershield was hella old news. Whatever helps to bring it to more people's attention I guess. Got me to start experimenting with option select forward smash OOS using A+B. I like the results so far...just don't get baited xd

^ things like those make me jealous of your ability to attend tournaments, in the U.S to boot while I'm stuck here.
:sadsheep:
Go bop Leo and make yourself a legend, bruh.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm not going to lie, I have misinputted that before and it's landed, and I'm just sitting there like, "oh I'll take that".

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Well it landed because most expect Bowser to go into land lag and they get hit. It's one of those tricks you can do to maybe get a surprise hit.

Against a good player you might get it off once or twice.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Well it landed because most expect Bowser to go into land lag and they get hit. It's one of those tricks you can do to maybe get a surprise hit.

Against a good player you might get it off once or twice.
I use whiffed fair -> fortress all the time. Not exactly because I want that dope 8% punish, but because I'm into spaced fairs and after a whiff the opponent usually goes in for the punish. I do it until it doesn't work .... then I get free Klaws.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ Big Sean Big Sean @ a stray cat a stray cat @ Zigsta Zigsta
You all are awesome. Sad Zigsta couldn't see the Bowser plushie that Big Sean brought with him! Glad we could chill together and discuss all sorts of shenanigans. Let's work on that doubles thread we talked about. ;)

Also, I wish everyone could have seen Zigsta pull off a full hop NAir into Bomb. Every hit connected perfectly. It was a thing of beauty, and I will forever see it in my dreams. I hope peeps on the Bowser boards try to pull one off some day just for the satisfaction. I only got half of the NAir to hit alongside the bomb, but one day...

Let's all meet up again in the future, hopefully with even more Bowsers. :laugh:

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
@ Big Sean Big Sean @ a stray cat a stray cat @ Zigsta Zigsta
You all are awesome. Sad Zigsta couldn't see the Bowser plushie that Big Sean brought with him! Glad we could chill together and discuss all sorts of shenanigans. Let's work on that doubles thread we talked about. ;)

Also, I wish everyone could have seen Zigsta pull off a full hop NAir into Bomb. Every hit connected perfectly. It was a thing of beauty, and I will forever see it in my dreams. I hope peeps on the Bowser boards try to pull one off some day just for the satisfaction. I only got half of the NAir to hit alongside the bomb, but one day...

Let's all meet up again in the future, hopefully with even more Bowsers. :laugh:
I need all three of your Facebooks so I can tag you on social media and make the world know how amazing you all are!

Nair to Bomb was fun. ;D

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
From the Big House 5:
  • Self-Destruct Moves: If a match ends with the successful use of a character’s self-destruct move, the results screen will determine the winner.
@ Zigsta Zigsta use your amazing Bowser persuasion powers to help us!

Also it's not clear what will happen when we go to a tie.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
From the Big House 5:
  • Self-Destruct Moves: If a match ends with the successful use of a character’s self-destruct move, the results screen will determine the winner.
@ Zigsta Zigsta use your amazing Bowser persuasion powers to help us!

Also it's not clear what will happen when we go to a tie.
Why can't we just retain advantage like Ganon.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
That rule sucks for Bowser. All other suiciders can escape or get advantage while Bowser takes a gamble.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I was fiddling around in training mode tonight with Jab, seems that the closer you are the more advantage on hit you get. Then again my training dummy was Bowser which may not be the best of subjects to test with, ahaha.

Top Bottom