• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I was fiddling around in training mode tonight with Jab, seems that the closer you are the more advantage on hit you get. Then again my training dummy was Bowser which may not be the best of subjects to test with, ahaha.
Bowser is only good for testing shield damage.

Since Jab 1 has fixed KB close up on big guys like Bowser you can probably Jab1 Jab1 Jab2

MrEh

Smash Hero
I was fiddling around in training mode tonight with Jab, seems that the closer you are the more advantage on hit you get. Then again my training dummy was Bowser which may not be the best of subjects to test with, ahaha.
Might have to do with the different hitboxes on Jab.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Might have to do with the different hitboxes on Jab.
Yeah, pretty much! But I'd always believed that the ones further away had a higher advantage because of the higher angle, but that doesn't seem to be true for Bowser (and I assume other characters as well).

MrEh

Smash Hero
That's what I figured. I noticed there was some wonky crap going on when I was testing Jab 1 out.

Jab 1 comboing into Fortress is still hilarious to me.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
That's what I figured. I noticed there was some wonky crap going on when I was testing Jab 1 out.

Jab 1 comboing into Fortress is still hilarious to me.
I didn't even realize this was a thing. Just buffer the Fortress or good timing or...what?

a stray cat

Smash Cadet
I think the only time it's guaranteed without a wall is if they happen to bounce through you instead of away, but side-b is probably better in that scenario.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I should probably lab up Jab 1 and see what we can do out of it. I tried seeing the frame advantage on utilt but I don't think it's enough to be worth looking into.

I should do this for throws too.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Given that this is the social thread I find it hilarious that @LordMix hasn't posted here. This is the place to post without getting mods on his case. But aside from Lordmix' mild trolling, I find the strict nature of Smashboards and in particular the Bowser forum a bit stifling. Personally I prefer threads about little things over a single thread about everything. For any given topic, there's a large thread already in use, but rather than comb through an out of date discussion I'd rather make a thread on a specific subject. I feel like any thread I can think of will be answered with "use the sticky thread no one pays attention to/use an old thread instead, closing this now." The benefit of new threads is concentration of discussion on a single topic. I come from a community that abandoned megathreads in favor of a "new news/thoughts, new thread" style. Personally, I don't find 19 pages of meandering matchup discussion as helpful as a specific thread on a matchup.

I would legitimately like to talk about best practices to avoid gordo traps, or what specific attacks prevent Ganondorf from using his Ganoncide vs an onstage Bowser. In a different community, each of these could be their own threads. It would also be easier to search the forum under this style. But here I suppose I could post these to the matchup thread and hope for a response or two at best. These sorts of standards make for a very slow moving forum. But Bowser had his run speed buffed in this game... yaknow? I look at other character forums, I see more "for fun" topics. I see individual threads for videos, for silly discussion, for discussing aesthetics, fanart etc. If I started a thread about what color Bowser people prefer I half expect it'd get closed and I'd be told to take it to the social thread. C'mon. Say what you will about quality of discussion, personally I'd like a more active board.

Alright, I've gotten it out of my system. I'm used to a different ruleset in forum communities, that's all.

Also, I don't want to hear about how if I have a problem I can talk to the mods, or something along the lines of "no meta topics/discussion of moderation on the forums" etc. I said my piece, that's that.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It felt like he got some buddies to post here just to suck his **** and praise him.

Perhaps the situation could have been handled more delicately but hey it's not my job and it's not my boards. :secretkpop:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I can't tell if tip toeing through the tulips or not. :laugh:

The social thread is just a place to chill and shoot the breeze.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I feel you Cronoc I really do. As a Bowser main there is nothing worse then seeing a dead board. And as much as I want to find new ways to try and make aerial Fortress a combo option I think we already unearthed everything Bowser can do in this game.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
^ Pretty much this. I think Bowser has all the tools he needs right now to still sit in the competitively viable camp. As the game progresses, patches will still be released nerfing top/higher tiers and hopefully Bowser will continue to get small buffs here and there like the utilt/dsmash buffs.

If I cbf I'll release what research I have on Jab 1 soon.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Meh, I've seen the boards for characters that do get a lot of attention, and it's totally disorganized. I would feel really bummed out if I spent hours of labbing tech for, say, Diddy's Monkey Flip, and it gets buried by bi-weekly threads about what buffs/nerfs the character needs. Ick. If you can find the good in a thread where we rub the unmentionables of a certain player, than I'd like to hear it. That may be okay on our regional Smash community pages on Facebook, but we talk about the competitive aspects of Bowser here, not the players.

I don't know any Lordmix. Is he another Brawl Boy? Man, don't even answer that, I've just lost interest.

Let's be real, any news about Bowser mains representing this character is good news. It proves that our guy won't get thrown to the side as soon as all the other mid-tiers get insane amounts of buffs, and they have been. I picked up Lucina recently, and holy cow. Can you say "Rage Jab to Fsmash"? Fantastic. There's oceans of discoveries for the cast of characters that should only be a matter of time before the other guys pick up on it. And seeing as this is the social thread, I want it written in writing here. I'm going to get back out there. The best reason to explain why I quit so long ago is that my Dad's recovery was a bit more important than Bowser's. Classes be damned. I've got enough time on my hands to compete. Also, reading about people's theories about Jab in the past couple days, It's pretty clear that a certain thread about jabs needs an update.

Jab to Fortress over Jab to Jab 2? Hunh? You're trading one 9% followup that doesn't kill for another 9% followup that doesn't kill. And yes, of course you can buffer a special move out of jab 1, did we all forget about that concept at some point?

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I don't find 19 pages of meandering matchup discussion as helpful as a specific thread on a matchup.
I do agree with this. Theoretically it wasn't supposed to end up like this. It specifically says on the matchup thread:
Easy to read summaries will be made. (For reals)
I am almost considering taking over the thread and making summaries, but I'm not sure I'm ready to sift through all the content for weeks ...

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I wish FB had shorter startup/endlag so we could have another Jab trap. Charizard's is so much better then ours.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A lol you act like I haven't been around non-Asian teenagers for more than a decade. Have at it. ;)

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Played one of my forum pals who is a good Yoshi. I got destroyed for like 90% of the matches. Always took a stock off but can never win it.

Kinda difficult to get most hits in against something that is a constant hitbox in the air.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
I don't care about the Lordmix "drama" or whatever, my post just used that as a jumping off point because the two locked threads at the top of this forum highlight how little actually happens here outside of huge sticky threads that most VBulletin-style forum users are conditioned to ignore. It insulates the community. I'm sure there are useful things posted in this thread, but I'm not going to search 44 pages to find them. So basically, if you were one of the 4-10 people (being optimistic) reading the thread at any given time, you got value out of whatever the discussion was, then that very discussion was "buried" in a megathread. Bury it in a megathread, bury it with an imagined torrent of useless threads, it is buried nonetheless. The difference being it's easier to search through a forum by thread titles than within a large thread.

I do agree with this. Theoretically it wasn't supposed to end up like this. It specifically says on the matchup thread: I am almost considering taking over the thread and making summaries, but I'm not sure I'm ready to sift through all the content for weeks ...
A lot of that content will be out of date and need re-examining due to patches and an evolving meta anyway. Many matchups should be discussed again. The idea that something said in December 2014 defined all the necessary points for any given matchup today is absurd. For example, is it common knowledge which characters are most and least susceptible to pivot grabs? Pivot grabs are almost useless against a character like Yoshi, likely because his jumping fair keeps his hurtbox above the pivot grab range even has his stupid head hits below it. An aggressive Roy is almost helpless in the face of a pivot grab, his hurtbox while using his short hop nair or fair is low enough and close enough that he can be pivot grabbed out of any aerial attack, even with his sword range. I guarantee no one was talking about this in December.

Last edited:

_Rated D.R.K_

Smash Apprentice
Can't believe that LordMix kid bled through here as well....
It's been a while, Bowsers. Trying to get it going with Smash 4 again. Definitely need to hook up with some local NY players to get rid of the ring rust. Glad to see this place still going strong.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
When it comes to MU discussion, yes I definitely agree that individual threads for each MU is better than what we have now. Especially if we can go as far in depth as picking out blurbs from the opponent's discussion of fighting Bowser in their threads, and inviting said players to give some input on how they'd deal with Bowser's options. Heck, sparring matches as well. How often do we fight each other on these boards? Not enough. We may not be interested in the ditto matchup, but a lot of us have pocket characters, or are even here because Bowser is a secondary pick. That's excellent data for MU threads. If you've got replays of MUs we're talking about, you can send them to somebody like me with a good capture card, and we'd upload that to Youtube for analysis.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
There's still a lot to talk about that has nothing to do with discovering new advanced techniques. If I had anyone to play with and capture video of various setups, I could do an entire thread on dealing with Pac-Man's hydrant (different moves cause it to fly at different trajectories) and trampoline. I've played Bowser in this game a lot, and I know certain things just based on experience. I know what spacing is needed to defeat counters with usmash on various characters, and the ones where usmash won't save me. With the amount of characters in this game who have counter moves, a thread could be made on when usmashing those counters is safe (FYI hitting Shulk's counter at the apex of usmash leads to getting hit). There's still plenty to discuss and surprising interactions to be found when moves clash. What characters have moves that beat Bowser bomb during its descent - Roy usmash, Rosalina uair, Yoshi eggs.... what else? Some of these fall under "trivia," but these are all nice to know. There are all kinds of unique matchup related oddities.

If this forum is only about competitive talk, there's still plenty more to be had. If I was still in college and had roommates to play with I'd test this stuff myself and upload the testing in 3 minute chunks using the replay youtube sharing. It takes a lot longer to absorb matchup information through experience.

I don't mean to say I expect everyone here to create this content, just that the possibilities exist for more discussion than we have now.

Last edited:

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Organization is definitely an issue. I remember somewhere I wrote a giant post of all the setups for forward smashes, but it will likely get lost in the sands of time. How do other boards organize this stuff?

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Been a big Bowser player since Melee here, always enjoyed sending people flying with him. He's still my best character in this one too. Then again, I've been a fan of him in general since the n64 days.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
@ spiderfreak1011 spiderfreak1011 nice man! best Bowser montage yet! Showed off basically all of the basic Bowser tricks. Next video is going to have to invent some tech to impress us or at least have a bunch of 0 to deaths.

a stray cat

Smash Cadet
Heya Zork! Awesome to see another tourney going Bowser on the boards!

Why no Paragon!? A national in your region, and you didn't join the rest of us Bowser mains? You'd better trek up to NorCal for Genesis 3 to make up for it ;)

ZorkThedork

Smash Rookie
I ride with my Fiancee, she goes with me to every tournament, I couldn't afford the tournament fee as well as her spectator fee at the time(Amiibos/Metal Gear Solid V) :(. I know JonnyWestside who is from the same city from me is going to Gen3, I'll try to catch a ride with him!

Top Bottom