• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Anyone seen Daredevil on Netflix yet? I can't wait to start watching this weekend!

Also, who all is in a crew here? I just got recruited into a newly founded crew called Speed of Light, so I'll be rocking a SoL tag before my name now.
Lol, who gets in crews? Thats so dumb.

*silently wishes he was in a crew*

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Anyone seen Daredevil on Netflix yet? I can't wait to start watching this weekend!
Got to watch three episodes with my brother this morning. I'm still mulling over how I feel about it. It's much darker than the MCU films, or the other complimentary shows, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter. From what I understand, Daredevil is the first of four miniseries to air for the next year or so. I feel like this one is too closely grounded in realism, which sets it apart from the aforementioned shows and films. I really only care about Matt Murdock's character, more than I care about nameless "the russians". And part of the appeal of the MCU was how zany and colorful the characters and worlds were. So this show may not be for my tastes, but I'll still check out the rest. Gotta have something to hold me over until Avengers 2.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I'm a member of a group called the Odo Faction, which is less of a crew and more of an organization that manages tournaments and promotes the scene across Hawaii.

We're all bros though.

EDIT: Why not just use Sheik?

Last edited:

herpyderpherper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
trjcchapple
But since sheik could kind of be called the Bowser slayer, i feel like i would be betraying him playing her, captain falcon on the other klaw is a lot of fun to play and style on people

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Unless you're affected by irony in picking a secondary to cover Bowser's weak MU's, I see virtually no reason why you shouldn't use Sheik if you can.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Yeah but uh..don't double post lol. We can talk about it afterward

Bowser dittos are still really awkward and I hate them lol

ggs: uh I couldn't really tell from bowser dittos but there are three things you tend to do and then one that's really bad

You tend to make really hard reads, which are great if they land; but a lot of bowser's hard hitting options are very risky, which cause you to overextend greatly in certain situations

You also double jump at the first possible instance when recovering, which isn't really good to do all of the time. You have to know when you should choose a different option or angle to recover at. Holding on to your jump is very important even though Bowser's upB got buffed.

And third: at least with Bowser, you don't seem as though you have a firm grasp on playing neutral with him quite yet. You picked up on certain things as we were playing, but there's a certain zone and position on the stage bowser wants to be at. Full screen isn't it, and bowser bombing everything doesn't work either.

You seemed to be at a loss as far as landing goes because Bowser's DAir is great FWIW but it also causes a lot of players to become trigger happy. Once I started punishing you for DAirs and airdodges, you didn't really know what else to do. You can try other attacks or just try retreating to the ledge. Just be more careful.

But yeah ggs. As for customs, I didn't mind you using them. I just have no real interest in them. I pretty much played all of the games without them. We'll definitely play more later. I'm just tired as **** lol

Last edited:

herpyderpherper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
trjcchapple
I see a lot of people talking about neutral game, but i don't really understand what it means, should i be thinking about what state the game is in every second of the match? also Im trying to find that video that rush hour smash released on it

Last edited:

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
EDIT: Why not just use Sheik?
Because I like having kill power.

I see a lot of people talking about neutral game, but i don't really understand what it means, should i be thinking about what state the game is in every second of the match? also Im trying to find that video that rush hour smash released on it
It refers to a state where both players are on stage on the same plane and without a clear advantage over the other. Think about the start of the match where both players are on opposite sides of the stage, trying to break through their opponent's zone, knock them into the air, and gain the upper hand. That's all it is. Because combos aren't a major part of this game, the winner is often decided by whoever is better at spacing and returning to their neutral position after losing it. The latter can be a bit tricky to understand...for anyone who's played Tekken it's a lot like trying to get off the ground without getting bodied. But you need to get bodied about half a million times before you figure it out.
F***ing King/Armor King... >_>

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ herpyderpherper herpyderpherper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWXCTKKDV0

Start by thinking of everything in terms of respect and no respect. Understand when you are doing the respecting and when you are not respecting. Then watch your opponent for the same. This is how you figure out an opponent's habits as well as your own. Thanks for continuing to polish yourself, and thanks to @ Cassius. Cassius. for taking the time to give feedback despite being so tired. You both rock.

Last edited:

herpyderpherper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
trjcchapple
I usually ask for advice after losing, the response i usually get is a couple things i could do differently and then they say "but i don't play Bowser so i can't tell you that much, i think only one person I've fought (besides Cassius) has even mentioned the neutral

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Don't rely on dair. Massive cool down on landing begs for a punish. Only use it if you are sure it will hit. Sometimes the best thing you can do is land by doing nothing.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I like to land with side B. Even though Flying slam's aerial grab box is garbage, it's good to have something to throw out that has no landing lag. Side B landing into immediate shield is good when being pressured, especially if they expect you to tech your landing like other characters would. That shield can be converted to a shield grab if they dash attacked your landing, jump and spot dodge if they reset to their projectile game, or Fortress if they sat back and are on their way with a grab.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Landing is a toss-up between fair and Side B for me. If the character has a counter, then I prefer Side B, but if they don't and are trying to push me back, a well timed fair can reverse momentum.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Incidentally, I find some luck when landing with nair. Especially since I, the Bowser player, am the only person that knows when the three hitboxes appear. The opponent often drops their shield a frame or two early when the third connects just before Bowser lands, popping them in the air and putting them in a spot allowing me to cover their landing.

I hope the patch buffs tough guy and fixes side b and bowser's fear of the ledge.
A tough guy buff would be interesting. Since it's based on knockback, tweaking it just a bit could let us armor right through some more important projectiles like Mario's fireball, Sheik's needles, or Falco's laser. Tough guy seems like one of the least game changing character-specific mechanics. The only matchups where it really makes a huge impact seem to be Mega Man and Luigi before he can get a grab combo or two.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Personally we need tough guy to be at crouch level. When crouched we can shrug off more crap. If we had the same effect while standing up and running then it would help bowser immensely.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Personally we need tough guy to be at crouch level. When crouched we can shrug off more crap. If we had the same effect while standing up and running then it would help bowser immensely.
I was actually hoping that the crouching tough guy armor could persist for Bowser whenever he crouch walks or is performing Dtilt. Then you could army crawl toward moves that could be armored only at this point. I even notice that for the first three or so frames of Bowser's crouch walk, the crouching tough guy armor is still there.

The unfortunate truth about the crouching version is that it's only about a fraction stronger than normal tough guy. Knockback in Smash 4 is difficult to quantify but after testing for it firsthand on applicable moves, I can tell you that crouching doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of difference.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Tough guy in general seems to work against bowser then help him. Only time it benefits is beating out a jab with your own.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Which is why it could use an upgrade. Fighting the 2 battles of get to thing and hit the thing can be pretty taxing.

herpyderpherper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
trjcchapple
After its announcement, who here plans to go to the big house 5? Im gonna try and organize a field trip for it for my school, hopefully we can do enough fundraising to send at least 12 people to it

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Hello. I just felt like sharing this here since it's Bowser related.
Seriously, it's really good. (1:50)

Last edited:

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I did, and I enjoyed it.

It did what I expected a GoT season opener to do: tell us what a bunch of characters' next moves are. There are so many freaking factions on that show that we'll need another episode just to get things rolling for the Boltons, Arya, and the kingdom of Dorne.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Haven't seen the new episode yet. Will in the morning though.

Finally entered my first SoCal tournament since Apex! Got 5th out of I think 25 people. Top 5 was:

Pikachu/DH
Lucario/Shiek
Megaman
Yoshi
BOWSER
Shiek

I lost a close game 3 to the Yoshi in round 2 winners. He was really good and was a random. Then I lost to the Lucario. Pretty pleased all things considered. :)

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Haven't seen the new episode yet. Will in the morning though.

Finally entered my first SoCal tournament since Apex! Got 5th out of I think 25 people.
What tournament was it? I'm SoCal too, and I'd love to fight some time once I'm tournament ready again. I still haven't checked out Oomba yet.

I've basically missed all of the five or so tournaments I wanted to enter for the last month due to flu, my father needing help after getting out of the hospital, another flu, and now bronchitis. I work and go to school, so it's pretty frustrating that I set aside specific dates and times for tournaments that I can't enter.

B!squick

Smash Master
Anyone else excited for MwoTew? I hope I don't have to unlock his customs and they just come with the download. I still don't have all the customs unlocked for the rest of the cast despite many hours of gameplay. Whoever thought it'd be a good idea to get duplicates of.... anything, needs to be flogged.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Anyone else excited for MwoTew?
Yeah, I'd be excited for MwoTew if this were Super Missingno Bros. :p

Typo aside, yes, I am quite excited. I wonder how the new and improved Bowser will fare against the new, improved Mewtwo.

Top Bottom