• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Got 5th at a tournament upstate. Lost to Diddy, typical--and then got janked by mii brawler. 'Tis life.

I'm going to a tournament in Buffalo tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

Got 3rd in doubles by teaming with someone I never met before in my life.

Sheik with custom villager/bowser. I was somewhat pleased

I'm more mad about my singles performance though. I really hate this game lol

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Greetings Koopas!

Despite being a Ganon main, I've decided I'm going to pick up all heavies (Ganon, Dedede, Bowser, DK, and Charizard). What should I know about Bowser? Any Guides I should consult?

Thanks in advance!

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Got 5th at a tournament upstate. Lost to Diddy, typical--and then got janked by mii brawler. 'Tis life.
5th place is not bad at all. My highest ever is seventh. And I look forward to beating that placement in the future.

Greetings Koopas!

Despite being a Ganon main, I've decided I'm going to pick up all heavies (Ganon, Dedede, Bowser, DK, and Charizard). What should I know about Bowser? Any Guides I should consult?

Thanks in advance!
While I don't recommend playing only heavies since they share many bad MUs, Bowser is quite easy to pick up in my opinion. This thread has a lot of spoilers with various info that isn't immediately apparent from just playing Bowser. Now for a quick run down of Bowser's strong options:

- Jab. Just keep calm and jab. The Jab 1 provides enough frame advantage for you to followup with a dash grab, Dtilt, even Bowser Bomb. These followup let you get a ton of damage after successfuly landing Bowser's absolute safest poking move in neutral. Easily Bowser's best attack for how much it gives him.

- Bowser Bomb (Down B). Rising hit comes out on frame 11 and the move clocks a ton of damage. If the opponent shields the rising hit, they better dodge roll away, because the falling hit breaks shields. Use Bowser Bomb as your hard punish tool. It's faster than all your smashes while providing equivocal damage and KO power. And by conditioning your opponent to shield your attacks, you can trap them in a corner with your bomb, and the shield break will send them over the edge to their death.

-Pivot Grab. Pivot Grab.

-Whirling Fortress. Read up on my thread for the Whirling Fortress Boost. The added height lets you go deeper for edgeguards, and Bowser's Fair and Bair are deadly if they connect offstage. While you do get a lot more distance from this move in Smash 4, it doesn't provide a large disjointed hitbox, and is very slow to travel with. Making incoming Dairs difficult to avoid while recovering to the ledge.

- Running Speed and Skid cancels. Bowser runs exceptionally fast forcing a lot of reactionary shields. This running speed helps you close distance immensely in matchups with tons of zoning. Just remember that a run (not a dash) can be cancelled into shield. Down B is also available during a run. As for skid cancels, if you return your control stick to a neutral position after a run, characters go into a skidding stop animation. And Bowser's can be cancelled extremely quickly into other moves. You can use this to stop your run before reaching your opponent, and switch to your poking jab for safety.

Side B. All of Bowser's Side Bs are lagless when you land from the air. With default Side B, it's pretty great. Perform Side B before landing so that you have its grab box come out. Upon landing, you get instant access your shield or jab, which can really catch people offguard trying to combo you low to the ground. If Bowser is tumbling to the ground, you can side B instead of teching the ground like the opponent would expect. And the custom Side Bs make much more use of this lagless feature. Bowser with Dash Slash is an entirely different beast. His other custom moves are not really worth mentioning, but just the Side Bs step up his game enough that the customs meta isn't too difficult for him.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811

I'm going to a tournament in Buffalo tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

Got 3rd in doubles by teaming with someone I never met before in my life.

Sheik with custom villager/bowser. I was somewhat pleased

I'm more mad about my singles performance though. I really hate this game lol
How many entrants were at your tournament? Glad to see you back at it, bud!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Can Meta Knight recover from a Bowsercide in most cases? I know it sounds kind of silly to ask because of his great recovery but I had a pretty great match against one where he failed to recover on Prism Tower.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Can Meta Knight recover from a Bowsercide in most cases? I know it sounds kind of silly to ask because of his great recovery but I had a pretty great match against one where he failed to recover on Prism Tower.
Yes but you have to mash jump.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I only know which Wii U stages allow for recovery at all. Remember that it's stage dependent on both versions. Furthermore, even if he could recover, it's not common knowledge for most victims that they have the opportunity in the first place or on which stages.

But yes, Metaknight is very capable of reaching the ledge after being released. After using all his double jumps, his first and third Up specials will take him high enough, or he can use his default Side B and angle it upward.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
How many entrants were at your tournament? Glad to see you back at it, bud!
I believe 70-ish were at the tournament yesterday, and 25 teams.

Today I went to the tournament in Buffalo and got 2nd, only losing to PikaPika twice--all Bowser again. This one was smaller w/23 entrants, but it was streamed, so the archives will be up soon.

Last edited:

Koopakid 64

Smash Rookie
NNID
koopaman
can you send a link to your matches? sorry about asking to practice since i didn't end up going to the tournament. but i can still do a match now if any of you want to give me some tips for Bowser.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I got 9/28 at a local today. Lost to the Diddy who got 3rd and a MK (super super close game 3) who got 4th. I beat Ness, Mario, Yoshi, and Sheik. I swear I always get the Yoshi and Sheik player!

Nothing recorded though. :(

Last edited:

Koopakid 64

Smash Rookie
NNID
koopaman
I got 9/28 at a local today. Lost to the Diddy who got 3rd and a MK (super super close game 3) who got 4th. I beat Ness, Mario, Yoshi, and Sheik. I swear I always get the Yoshi and Sheik player!

Nothing recorded though. :(
Glad to hear about beating sheik. and diddy dont even worry about him now. your match ups sound like you did a fantastic job dude! keep it up! (your lucky you didn't go against a R.O.B.)

I also have some replays to send you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Uh yeah, send me the replays and I'll take a look at them.

If you want to play, just give me a time to be on and I'll be around

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm seriously considering switching to Wario as my main, or at least 2nd maining him.

He's stupidly fun to play, and has a number of "the move"s which you're always looking to land because they're just so satisfying to hit with. His recovery is disgustingly good, and farting people into the stratosphere is immensely satisfying. Then there's eating people's projectiles and recovering %, heh...

That said, Bowser's dash slash basically does for him the same thing Wario gets from his bike: agility, a surprise attack and the option to recover high...

I just wish Bowser's kill confirms were a bit easier to get than they currently are...

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Then there's eating people's projectiles and recovering %, heh...
It's kind of funny how you could do that in serious matches and the opponent is just like "whelp, can't use that move anymore. No sir." They just mentally delete the projectile attack from their moveset after it gets nullified.

If only Bowser could eat incoming projectiles, but his diet is mostly meat.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
To quote the 2nd Bowser's Story game ever made, Super Paper Mario:
"Whoa, whoa, WHOA! I don't fight veggies!"

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Remember, Bowser mains, there's a very important thing to apply in combat.

Never lose your head.

Like this poor chap here:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Anyone see Avengers: Age of Ultron yet? IT WAS AMAZING.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Gonna wait at least a few weeks on Ultron. The theaters are bound to be packed, and we need handicap seats for both my brother, and my father who is recovering from a broken leg. Side rant: how do normal moviegoers not know about the handicap row in most theaters? The blue placards may be hard to see in such dark rooms, but you'd think the large, 10 foot gaps within the row would give away the fact that it's designed for wheelchairs to sit next to the seats. It's such a pain to have to ask people politely to sit somewhere else.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Awesome matches, though I'm surprised that Luigi didn't Up+B as often as he could have...
Yeah I kept trying to punish the roll reads with bowser bombs. Unfortunately I always forget that Luigi has a hella long roll. Eventually I just decided to fortress punish but in hindsight I should have up or down smashed more.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Going off the first match you should really try aerial dash slash > dtilt.

You become a moving flurry of hitboxes.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Bowser can apparently say no and clash with quick attack and win?
It didn't even clash...the back-air bodied him a little after he QA'd from the air to the ground.
Add my NNID if you wanna see the replay for yourself.

Gonna wait at least a few weeks on Ultron. The theaters are bound to be packed, and we need handicap seats for both my brother, and my father who is recovering from a broken leg. Side rant: how do normal moviegoers not know about the handicap row in most theaters? The blue placards may be hard to see in such dark rooms, but you'd think the large, 10 foot gaps within the row would give away the fact that it's designed for wheelchairs to sit next to the seats. It's such a pain to have to ask people politely to sit somewhere else.
Around my way, the movie theaters have you pick your seats in advance when you buy your ticket. If someone's in your spot you just show them your ticket with your seat number and kindly tell them to get the **** out. I plan to see Avengers 2 sometime this weekend, probably Sunday since May-Pac takes priority tomorrow.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yeah I kept trying to punish the roll reads with bowser bombs. Unfortunately I always forget that Luigi has a hella long roll. Eventually I just decided to fortress punish but in hindsight I should have up or down smashed more.
Yeah, and there were a few chances he DEFINITELY had to flaming uppercut you and didn't take them. He seemed to figure it out a bit in the later matches, though, and likely stopped respecting as much.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Saw Avengers. It was a birthday event for a buddy of mine from NorCal who flew down for the weekend, so I had planned ahead of time and bought the tickets the day before via Fandango. 9 peeps. Knocked out a good chunk of a row.

Gotta hand it to Act 3. It had some serious swag.

There's a trick to the writing that really drove home the paradigm the Avengers will operate on from this point forward. It is only apparent once they introduce Vision.

Last edited:

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Avengers was pretty cool. When we went to see it, there was a point in the movie where the sound completely cut out.

herpyderpherper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
trjcchapple
Hulk is so broken imo, i mean he has little start up or endlag on all his moves, even better air mobility and aerials, and all his moves hit like an absolute truck, not to mention he can survive until like 300 with his weight and amazing recovery, he even has a projectile, can anyone think of a good counterpick?

Top Bottom