• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

trombonophone99

Smash Cadet
NNID
trombonophone99
Definitely going to as many tourneys as I can now that school is coming to a close. One coming up this Friday as well.

I did rush myself into that Lylat decision. However, your advice will definitely help me in the furture. Thanks! But if there is one very important thing that Sheik match taught me, it's that Bowser is going to stay as my main for a very long while, and I'm glad this community is so active and ready to help.

Steam

Smash Hero
Greetings, inferior evil character empire! The evil lucario empire is now discussing the bowser matchup in this thread. Come have fun discussing the lucario matchup with a band of villainous furries!

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
It sounds just like a jab should: a stupid mother****** getting punched in the mouth for talking too much.
It's incredibly satisfying.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Besides Wolf being my favorite villain/anti-hero Bowser is my most favorite Nintendo villain and to show my love for them here is a pic of the two.
Bowser_and_Wolf__commission__by_grayfox64.jpg

Tri10

Smash Cadet
NNID
chambergojd
Not exactly sure if this is where I should be, but here goes nothing. New (well, on Smashboards) Bowser player here, and I'm here to get some training. I feel I'm pretty good with the big, incredibly fast lug, but I'm looking to improve. So for any top players here with a little free time, I'm asking for a match or two.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I like to think of the ledge grab as Cammy's Hooligan Combo move...a really fast :GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR::GCUR:

I have more success ending with up-back than with just a regular half-circle motion
I like this. I'll have to try it.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
It's not a Brawl sound.

All the sound effects in this game are weird, but Bowser's jab just sounds specifically out of place to me.

Also this jab is broken af, why
I wouldn't be complaining about our only safe move in our entire movepool.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
A few quick tips for speed snapping, If you're having a lot of trouble with it, or even if you're not, it may be a good idea to try using an option select.

When doing the input for the ledge snap while running offstage, tap the jump button at the end of the circular motion, one of three things will happen in this case.

1. You got the timing correct and snap the ledge.
2. You timed it too early and short hop away from the ledge.
3. You timed it too late and you double jump back to the stage right away.

This way, you'll never have to react to what happens when you mess up, because you're automatically doing something about it, now it may be better in some cases to not use this O.S since if you're always jumping back when you miss, your opponent may catch on and start making reads.

There's also another OS, that you can try which makes the timing way easier for speed snapping, but it might make you a bit slower, although that can have advantages in some cases, like when the opponent tries to delay the ledge snap and they aren't producing a hitbox. This option select is pretty much the same as the first where you still do the speed snap input, but instead of a jump at the end, you perform a side b. This pretty much just takes advantage of the edge cancel klaw that @ Cassius. Cassius. brought up a while back, but it actually makes the timing much easier to perform and you have more control this way, so it's a bit faster than just running off the side and using only the side b. You could also use this method to stay close to the ledge while throwing out a hitbox if you want to try a stage-spike snapback with Fair, or possibly even a Bowsercide if you're feeling bold, happen to be a stock up, and the opponent can't recover.

On a different note, I'm actually working on an O.S for edgeguarding at the ledge which takes advantage of the new mechanic that allows you to perform smash attacks by pressing A+B. The way it works is when you are near the ledge and you read the opponent using an option, you time a jab 1 by holding down the jab button, hold down after the jab comes out, then press the b button. If you time this right, then you will jab 1 followed by a Dsmash. Make sure not to press the special button too early, or you'll just do a jab 2. Anyway, as long as you time the jab 1 properly, if the opponent does a ledge jump or a ledge attack, you should jab them out of it and the game automatically performs jab 2 on hit. However, if they do a stand up, or a ledge roll, jab 1 whiffs, and your down smash will come out, and it should hit both the stand up and the roll as long as you're spaced correctly.

I've been testing this out vs a level 7 and 8 CPUs since that's a high enough level for them to actually mix-up their ledge options, but not level 9 where they'll cheat and roll or powershield everything.(Which can be frustrating for actually trying to get them offstage.) I've been recently labbing up the Shiek match-up, so she's who I've been testing on so far. I'd like to try this out on a player, but that won't be possible until I have regular access again, so if anyone wants to lab this up in the meantime, that'd be great. The main problems I see with this is that it may be difficult to time the first jab against certain options, especially against Shiek, but it could be easier against characters with slower options, and/or characters who can be jabbed off the ledge when they aren't invulnerable, like Yoshi and Pikachu. I don't know how effective this will be vs ledge-hopping, because i'm not able to test that yet, but if someone else would like to look into that in the meantime, that'd be awesome.

I'll continue labbing it up while I'm away, there are a few other things I'm working on as well, hopefully at least some of it will be useful!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
So I have some form of clairvoyance after all!

It's better then what I can draw.

I can't draw.
Oh. I'm sorry that happened.

I try my hardest to make my drawings as close to the source material as possible. This was actually my second attempt because my first attempt sucked.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so I've posted around here a handful of times. I've lurked for longer than that and made an account here when I felt like posting.
I used an old name for the account just to post. I guess it'll do. Call me Pitfall. I cry while working at McDonald's and spend most my leisure time between 2am and 7am, checking here often for developments on the Large and In Charge. Hoping to push my Bowser game so far I win a tourney - although I don't make enough money to ever go to one, and I can't find anything local.
If you're looking for someone to ditto on 3ds (All I got :( ), I'm here and ready. If you'd like to know anything about McGodDammit, ask away.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Well I always said that Bowser is a Street Fighter character. It's almost time to prove it against Mr. Fighting Games himself.

@ pitfall356 pitfall356 Welcome to He-....I mean, the Bowser boards. Enjoy your stay. :awesome:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Hilariously, if you take the universe of Wreck-It-Ralph into account, then Bowser and Ryu have probably met before.

And hey, Bowser regularly sees frigging Bison for a living there too.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
So since that 1.0.8 patch thing leaked a bit did anyone who got the patch see if they did character balance changes?

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
No confirmation. The man who leaked the videos and rendered character models has the dumped data we would need, but from the sound of it, he's more interested in visual sorts of things than balance tweaks. Dat aint Dantarion.

You know, I've been meaning to collect video evidence of Bowser's First Active Frames for moves and throws. I should do that tonight in case there are confirmed balance tweaks for some characters tomorrow. We can observe changes to damage and KO percents easily enough without it, but we had no way of confirming or disconfirming whether some moves like Bowser's Uthrow were faster the last time. I can't really count frames, but I will be able to put pre-patch and post-patch footage side by side in order to serve as proof. They've certainly tweaked some moves for characters like Marth in the last patch to make the moves faster to act out of. I'd like to see a faster Ftilt or Utilt for Bowser someday myself. So punishable.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
No confirmation. The man who leaked the videos and rendered character models has the dumped data we would need, but from the sound of it, he's more interested in visual sorts of things than balance tweaks. Dat aint Dantarion.

You know, I've been meaning to collect video evidence of Bowser's First Active Frames for moves and throws. I should do that tonight in case there are confirmed balance tweaks for some characters tomorrow. We can observe changes to damage and KO percents easily enough without it, but we had no way of confirming or disconfirming whether some moves like Bowser's Uthrow were faster the last time. I can't really count frames, but I will be able to put pre-patch and post-patch footage side by side in order to serve as proof. They've certainly tweaked some moves for characters like Marth in the last patch to make the moves faster to act out of. I'd like to see a faster Ftilt or Utilt for Bowser someday myself. So punishable.
http://smashboards.com/threads/bowsers-frame-data.406041/

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I've got my Wii U now, so if any of you fancy a (recorded) match sometime, ditto or not, just add me.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I've got my Wii U now, so if any of you fancy a (recorded) match sometime, ditto or not, just add me.
Add my NNID. I should be on in the morning tomorrow to get the Lucas DLC and whatever else comes on.

I'm not sure how the connection will be since we're not really close based on locations, but we can give it a shot.

trombonophone99

Smash Cadet
NNID
trombonophone99
I would've been labbing up Bowser, but my boy Roy needed me.
He's so fun to play, extremely aggro, and his combos are great. I was watching Dabuz's stream as well and his first impressions of Roy are high tier, so that's a plus. I think you guys would like him as well.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I have seen Trigers (Dungeonmans; a mini tiger on top of a small tiger on top of a tiger). I have never see a Triowser. Or boot in a boot in a Koopa Clown Car. Kudos to the Nintendo Treehouse.

Also, so happy to see some famous speedrunners get in on the action. Poor Essentia, though. This was a bit outside her element. Still, good showing. I can't wait to hear more from them on stream and at SGDQ. D1 and Hungrybox were a nice surprise, though. Shame Andre didn't get to say much (though we got a nice Zelda rap).

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I would've been labbing up Bowser, but my boy Roy needed me.
He's so fun to play, extremely aggro, and his combos are great. I was watching Dabuz's stream as well and his first impressions of Roy are high tier, so that's a plus. I think you guys would like him as well.
Liking Roy so far as well.

He feels very poke and punish oriented with a few true combos here and there, and his up+b has variable recovery where it can go more horizontal or vertical (did he have that in melee or just project M?).

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I was playing bowser and found out on dreamland that bowser can platform and ledgr cancel his down b if the wind pushes him off. Looks extremely helpfull

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
@ Cassius. Cassius. I saw that you're starting work on the 22nd. Congratulations.
Whoa, how did you see that hahah

Regardless, thank you!

I'm not really too sold on any of the new characters yet, but I have to play them more. I'm actually liking Roy the most despite my disdain for him being in at first.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ Cassius. Cassius. I checked your twitter link under your signature. You planning on uploading replays after you're more stable?

@ herpyderpherper herpyderpherper On that note, another Paper Mario game would be nice.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I just want a new Metroid from E3.

That's it.

Gimme that and Nintendo auto-wins E3.

Unless either Snake or Sylux were revealed as being in development for DLC, that would also be a trump card.

Last edited:
Top Bottom