• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser

Status
Not open for further replies.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Well, there is a theory that Bowser's Shell has Super Armor of it's own, as seen when MegaMan shoots him in the back. But it's hard to tell.

I'm just glad Bowser finally looks like a really good character~
I have mixed feelings on playing Bowser with the idea that he will always face away from his opponent...

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Why? Bowser has just finally realised he is too cool to look Eye to Eye with the others. :p
Because I like tilts and f-smashes. ;)

I'd rather the SA just be an inherent part of some of his moves.

If they can create a Bowser that forces opponents to try to grab him to avoid his super armor but also has spacing options to keep opponents from closing, then they'll have created one hell of a Bowser, one who likely wouldn't even need a true projectile at that point.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Well, DK has Super Armor in his Up Special now, so I am sure Bowser will have some. As has been said, it appears he now has some resistance when his Shell protects him (not flinching at all to MegaMan's shots). So I'm sure some of his moves will be, as well.

Also, from not using his legs at all, to having at least 4 moves with them. Wii-Fit Trainer has trained Bowser well.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Well, DK has Super Armor in his Up Special now, so I am sure Bowser will have some. As has been said, it appears he now has some resistance when his Shell protects him (not flinching at all to MegaMan's shots). So I'm sure some of his moves will be, as well.

Also, from not using his legs at all, to having at least 4 moves with them. Wii-Fit Trainer has trained Bowser well.
Oh, I didn't know about DK's super armor (thought he REALLY needed it...).

I'm hoping it's not his shell but just HIM. Like I said, I like his new B-air and all, but I'd rather I didn't spend the entire match facing away from the opponent...

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
Bowser's design looks much better, and he looks much more fun to play as now (he was just painfully slow before).

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
well, he won't be that much faster... but he'll run instead of grinding, that's a big plus =)

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The more I see of the new Bowser, the more I want to play him. He looks hella fun.

btw, I'm not gonna Backseat Mod, but can a mod please try 'n' get a hold of the Bowser Boards?
So many repeated topics and threads. The Mega Man Boards suffered from this before it was taken care of.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree, Bowser looks amazingly fun for this iteration of Smash. I started playing him much more frequently in Brawl/Project M in anticipation for his appearance in Smash 4. However; I am not sure if I will main him, I might. Overall, he looks great and I am happy with all of his changes. His new Brown/Black palette is improved in my opinion, I hope the same applies to all of his color swaps as Bowser is a character that I like to switch it up with.

D

Deleted member

I agree, Bowser looks amazingly fun for this iteration of Smash. I started playing him much more frequently in Brawl/Project M in anticipation for his appearance in Smash 4. However; I am not sure if I will main him, I might. Overall, he looks great and I am happy with all of his changes. His new Brown/Black palette is improved in my opinion, I hope the same applies to all of his color swaps as Bowser is a character that I like to switch it up with.
I'm incredibly excited to try him out now that he has some decent ground mobility thanks to his new running animation/posture, I'm also a big fan of the tweaks he got to his aerials, specifically the attack where he does a backflip claw slash kinda thing (is that his nair?) along with the new bair and changed dair as well. His second jump and his recovery seem to have more vertical reach this time around as well. Hopefully Bowser will finally rise from the bottom-tier pit with all the changes and tweaks he is being given in Smash 4. Even he is still bottom tier I will probably still play him simply because his new moveset just looks fun either way.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Melee/Brawl Bowser were some abominations in moveset design. Moreover, it doesn't feel like I'm playing Bowser, but rather turtle godzilla. (What's he called again, Gamera?)

I only use him in Melee because I love heavyweights and he's the heaviest of them all, but I just despise him in Brawl. (Especially since there are more heavyweights available that are more fun to play in Snake and DeDeDe.) Here though nearly all my complaints regarding his moveset seem to have been addressed, and the heavyweight fan in me is all giddy to use him. He actually reminds me a LOT of Mike Haggar in Marvel vs Capcom 3, who is one of my favorites.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I'm not sure if anyone noticed this or not, but in regards to bowser's super armor. I don't think that it's related to his shell at all. If you watch the smash direct when it discusses shiek's new side special, you see that the grenade, before detonating, actually hits Bowser's shell and causes him to flinch. So far, all evidence we have of any form of armor appears to be while Bowser is actually initiating some kind of attack, and possibly while crouching/crawling. This doesn't exactly disprove that it's shel-focused since all the hits have more or less been to the shell in each example but I feel like it makes a good case for it being based more on his attacks as opposed to the shell. At the very least, it certanly proves that it's not constant armor or he probably wouldn't have flinched at all.

http://youtu.be/7xUWnQu2Grs?t=19m30s

There's the footage, if you look carefully, the grenade obviously hit Bowser's shell and caused him to flinch. He's breathing fire, so obviously there's no armor on firebreath, at least not when the fire is already out.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Get hyped for the invitational guys.

Bowser is gonna be playable, and DJNintendo is invited. He'll most likely pick him, so we'll see some of this new Bowser action!

Last edited:

Shök

Smash Champion
Get hyped for the invitational guys.

Bowser is gonna be playable, and DJNintendo is invited. He'll most likely pick him, so we'll see some of this new Bowser action!
Indeed! Can't wait for some Bowser action!

Shök

Smash Champion
I'm gonna try and go to the demo at Best Buy. If I do go, I'll be sure to record some footage.

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
Watching the celeb match at E3 tourney with Bowser, it seems his down b now has a bigger hitbox with some kind of air waves coming out to the sides at the bottom.

Shök

Smash Champion

Loving this color scheme. Wish I could see the rest of them, though. Ha ha.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I'll try to put a lot of focus on Bowser today when I'm at E3 but one thing I noticed was that when Bowser one he had a unique victory theme playing. It was the usual Mushroom kingdom song but similar to MetaKnights. Of course Mario's could have been the same as this one and I just didn't notice that.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Bowser looks much stronger. His dodge is faster, his running speed and aerial mobility is heavily upgraded, between BB being buffed and a stall-and-fall Dair (MUCH better than his old one), his options to avoid getting juggled are better, his hurtboxes are obviously smaller, Uair looks faster, bair is all new (dropkick) and much faster with better range, BB seems to have a power buff (Star KOs Fox at ~70% at the bottom of the stage), and I believe I saw a new, faster dash attack.

Bowser looks fierce.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Bowser has a metal version of the Mario victory theme as his victory theme.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I'm really loving Bowser's improvements from all the gameplay he seems much quicker

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
...My copy of Bowser's Inside Story isn't in it's case and I can't find it. Noooo... ;(
So that'a 2 Mario characters with unique victory themes, Bowser and Rosalina. Sweet.
(Dark Bowser 4 Alt. Costume)
EDIT: I've also heard that Bowser's shell has natural super-armor, is that true?

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
So that'a 2 Mario characters with unique victory themes, Bowser and Rosalina. Sweet.
(Dark Bowser 4 Alt. Costume)
EDIT: I've also heard that Bowser's shell has natural super-armor, is that true?
ERMAHGERD!! SAKURAI BIASED TOWARDS THE MARIO SERIES? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
So many Bowsers at SDCC!!! He looks so good, can't wait to play him!

Grand finals winner is Bowser, yay!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
So Bowser looks absolutely sick.

His Fsmash looks like it'll be INCREDIBLY fun to use. His off stage Bair game looks intense as well.

I'm afraid he'll be FOTM and I'll find myself as a "Bowser Hipster". :p

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
After watching the SDCC tournament, I'm really loving this new Bowser and definitely want to play him, but I'm also wondering if maybe he got buffed too much? He has decent speed, powerful moves, super armor, and heavy weight to make KOing him harder. Any opinions on this?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
After watching the SDCC tournament, I'm really loving this new Bowser and definitely want to play him, but I'm also wondering if maybe he got buffed too much? He has decent speed, powerful moves, super armor, and heavy weight to make KOing him harder. Any opinions on this?
Rewatching some of the tourney footage, there's one other inescapable conclusion: the two Bowser players it came to in the end were extremely good. They were clearly the best two players there.

Again, I'm not worried about this. Any character can look overpowered, in the hands of a skilled player and especially when facing a a lesser player. This has always been true with SSB.

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
Rewatching some of the tourney footage, there's one other inescapable conclusion: the two Bowser players it came to in the end were extremely good. They were clearly the best two players there.

Again, I'm not worried about this. Any character can look overpowered, in the hands of a skilled player and especially when facing a a lesser player. This has always been true with SSB.
True, any character will look good in the hands of a good player, but that doesn't eliminate the need to balance characters as well as possible. Bowser will always possess the properties of his character no matter who plays him. Perhaps we could have made better judgements about Bowser's balance if he was pitted against a different character in finals, but what we got was a Bowser mirror.

We also need to consider that players choose a character precisely for the character's attributes and movesets. If one character has better attributes overall than others, that charcter will likely be preferred by more people. This is exactly what happened with Meta Knight in Brawl; he sits in the top tier all by himself, and in both Apex 2013 and 2014, 4/5 of the top 5 players used MK.

I'm not trying to say that I dislike tiers because tiers are basically inevitable. I'm also not trying to say that the two Bowser players didn't deserve 1st and 2nd place. They absolutely worked for it and deserved it! I just don't want another case like MK from any of the characters in the roster, not just Bowser, because that makes competitive play less exciting/diverse in my opinion. Even having just one other character in the top tier would be a lot better.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I just don't want another case like MK from any of the characters in the roster
No one does: MK was the cancerous wart on the ass of competitive Brawl.

But I'm not even the least bit worried about Bowser being OP or even close to top tier.

Here's a video from a day 1 Brawl tournament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3JTr9fi0Rk#t=324 It's an Ike ditto, yet we all know where Ike landed on the tier list.

Even in the Brawl days, I had a reasonable amount of success playing as Bowser over wifi.

Why? For the same reason these guys won this tournament: no one knew how to fight Bowser.

And in the case of this tournament, many of these players did know how to fight Bowser: BRAWL Bowser. You can see a number of times when the opponent would try to get in Bowser's face and, unlike in Brawl, it didn't work. At that point, they seemed horribly confused about what to do next. This was a beast they didn't know how to fight.

Once the game is out, players will figure out the Bowser strategy and everything will be fine. Even if Bowser was somehow top tier or close, it won't matter: he'll NEVER be as game-breaking as MK because MK was the perfect storm of speed, recovery, TONS of approaches with stupid priority and a disjointed hitbox twice the size of his hurtbox.

MK is proof that Sakurai couldn't balance his way out of a wet paper sack, but this is the Tekken team working on it this time around and they clearly at least understand that a heavy character's attacks KOing at 0% would be meaningless if that character will never get a hit off in high level play.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
#Livin'LikeLarry
is the result of Yesterday.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Is Bowser top tier?:4bowser:
He has the potential, though we can't know right now cause we haven't seen all of the characters and he might have been nerfed since the e3 demo. In fact, we haven't even seen gameplay of Ike yet so for all we know he might have been buffed way too much and he'll be the new SS tier.
But it's looking good for Bowser right now regardless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom