• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get Low

Smash Ace
I hope they just make same old Bowser for Smash 4.
Humungous, powerful, but slow. Low tier, but still really fun.
That's what I like about him.

KishSquared

Smash Master
See: P:M. They have the potential of making an incredibly hard-hitting yet comboable character in Bowser. However, in both Melee and Brawl he's been TOO comboable. Here's hoping they can finally get it right.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Super Armor, please. he's a Giant turtle,so it makes sense.

also I'd like to see them incorporate moves from Mario & Luigi 3. namely his flame breath: make it so that the longer B is held down, the farther the stream of fire goes when you let go, but like in M&L3, if you hold on too long, he just breathes weak damaging smoke.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
As the 13th character to ever be playable in the Smash Bros series, I have to admit I was much better with him in Brawl than in Melee. If they keep buffing him, he'd be a worthwhile villain character to compete against. I don't think he'll ever be axed from the Smash Bros series.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Neutral Special: Hold control stick back when you use it for vaccum suction breath that he can cancel into an attack, hold it forward for normal fire.

That is all I ask.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bowser should offer one of the strongest defenses, but his evasive maneuvers are quite weak. If anything, Bowser's shield should be strengthened to withstand attacks that deal up to 50% damage.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
All I ask is for Bowser's ftilt to have less cooldown.

:phone:

Flayl

Smash Hero
I wonder if his Side B is going to be changed once again. No doubt it'll stay a command grab, but that flying slam came out of nowhere and now he has a more developed moveset in the games he's been in since then: Super Mario Galaxies and Bowser's Inside Story.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
See: P:M. They have the potential of making an incredibly hard-hitting yet comboable character in Bowser.
Pretty much this, although if the game isn't as offensive as Melee. I don't know what to expect from either of these games, other than a lot more offense than there was in Brawl. But yeah, make him more compatible like that. Oh, and it would help if more than half a dozen of Bowser's moves actually have priority! :laugh:
However, in both Melee and Brawl he's been TOO comboable. Here's hoping they can finally get it right.
I don't mind Bowser being easy to juggle, but easy to combo is a different story. Really, he needs more super armor (maybe on crotch cancelling like in Project M).

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Maybe Bowser needs super armor for just about all of his attacks, during just the start-up frames... with the exception for grabs, I guess.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If Bowser has super armor on all of his moves, it should definitely be breakable with smash attacks and strong special attacks (maybe grabs, too) even early on.

A Bowser like the one in Project M in smash would make for some awesome match ups (plus a sweet Bowser meta-game), and really would be able to throw off lots of smashers.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If Bowser has super armor on all of his moves, it should definitely be breakable with smash attacks and strong special attacks (maybe grabs, too) even early on.

A Bowser like the one in Project M in smash would make for some awesome match ups (plus a sweet Bowser meta-game), and really would be able to throw off lots of smashers.
That, and make Bowser more competitively viable. I mean, the lack of any super armor for Bowser in Melee and Brawl (save for his Brawl Fsmash) combined with his huge frame severely hurts him.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think Bowser just needs priority in a lot of moves, instead of just say 6. Oh, and he needs a few techniques. Like seriously, in Melee, the only thing Bowser could hang his hat on was the Whirling Fortress (and it was easily punishable when you were at low damage). Give Bowser a few new good moves (all of his aerials [except maybe his up air; make it a early kill move), all of his tilts, and all or nearly all of his specials as viable moves, and Bowser would be a beast!

Such moves being good could set up a lot of combos. And with combos, Bowser would finally be able to offensively compete, instead of being a punching bag. While I'm at it with Bowser, I think he should weigh about 10-15% more, have about 10% more range, and his kill moves should be made even stronger (about as strong as he is in Project M).

Lastly, Bowser would be pretty awesome if he stole Samus' Melee crotch cancelling. Such crotch cancelling would really suit (and help) Bowser. :bee:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bowser is so close to being finished in terms of design. So close. When super armor was announced for Brawl, I thought Bowser was solved. Nope. Only one of his moves has super armor.

Bowser should be a close-combat tank. Have his shell have a set amount of super armor. All smashes= super armor. When he runs, give him a set amount of super armor so he could bulldoze through light to light-medium projectiles.

Bowser wants to exchange punch for punch with his opponent. And his claw keeps the fear of "large tortoise falling from the sky onto your face" in the minds of his enemy when standing toe to toe with the big lug.

Flayl

Smash Hero
None of Bowser's moves in Brawl have super armor. Side B has grab armor which is normal for all grabs

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bowser's f-smash seems way more effective in Melee than in Brawl, since in Melee, you only need to deliver one powerful hit, which can score quick KOs if pulled off correctly. Bowser's f-smash in Brawl seems less effective if it requires you to get "2" hits for it to be effective.

But one thing is for certain though. The instant Bowser thrusts his head, he should be given super armor frames so that almost nothing can stop his headbutt attack from being executed.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think Bowser would be fine if they just give him super armor out the wazoo and make it easier to combo out of\into a Flying Slam. That's all I'm asking for our favorite giant turtle.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Bowser's fsmash in Brawl is a better defensive/spacing tool in Brawl, but it's often deadlier in Melee. I'm of course biased towards Brawl fsmash, but I gotta admit that super armor on his fsmash would make me VERY happy.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bowser should be bigger, heavier, armed to the teeth with super armor, be able to run through light and light-to-medium projectiles with no stun or knock back, and have a down B that instantly eats through any shield. *when a meteor parts the heavens and comes hurtling toward you, one does not duck and cover, one RUNS for their life.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
While Bowser does need improvements, he shouldn't be made in a godly manner. He has to at least have some drawbacks to balance out his strength and defenses.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
He still would have a predictable recovery, be a huge target, have no real projectile, have one of the slowest rolls, have the slowest spot dodge, have a crouch that does not shrink height, still have a limited approach, have a lag on jumps, lag on attacks.

And super armor could have a percentage. Just needs a stronger attack to interrupt, not just a little fast jab.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Bowser's f-smash seems way more effective in Melee than in Brawl, since in Melee, you only need to deliver one powerful hit, which can score quick KOs if pulled off correctly. Bowser's f-smash in Brawl seems less effective if it requires you to get "2" hits for it to be effective.

But one thing is for certain though. The instant Bowser thrusts his head, he should be given super armor frames so that almost nothing can stop his headbutt attack from being executed.
That sounds true. Hammerhead just doesn't have the same spark in Brawl than it did in Melee. Shell Shock(Upward Smash) became more useful.

And I want them to combine Koopa Klaw and Flying Slam. Slice the enemy from a distance, while grabbing an enemy nearby, chomping on them, and then... Throw Down! Simple as that.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I kind of like the idea of low tier Bowser as well. The comical nature of him being juggled constantly just kind of fits with Bowsers character of the incompetent villain

Polimario

Smash Cadet
NNID
Polimario
3DS FC
4425-1491-7986
I'm gonna agree with everyone else and say he NEEDS super armor because he's just so big.

If that won't happen, at least make the big guy harder to kill, to at least make up for his big size.

One idea I have to improve him is make his shell itself more durable. You know how Link's shield can deflect projectiles? How about having attacks that land on Bowser's shell do less damage than those that strike head-on?

B!squick

Smash Master
They should make Bowser's entrance into a teleport style UpB and make Fortress the new DSmash. That would be a four letter word for mammary.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Bowser is too big for his own good, he does need super armour, no doubt.

Other problems are some of his moves are way too laggy but shouldn't be, like ftilt or dtilt, which could be used as spacers and safe moves.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna agree with everyone else and say he NEEDS super armor because he's just so big.

If that won't happen, at least make the big guy harder to kill, to at least make up for his big size.

One idea I have to improve him is make his shell itself more durable. You know how Link's shield can deflect projectiles? How about having attacks that land on Bowser's shell do less damage than those that strike head-on?
THAT IS GENIUS!!!........ why didn't i think of that?

D

Deleted member

IMO, the spikes on Bowser's shell should hurt people when they touch them.
Though, that might be too cheap...

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Bowser is super generic, he has demonstrated countless skills over the years and the only unique one shown in any of the smash games is the fire breath... Which should be a given. The biggest part of bowser seems to be his minions. I'd like to see more of those in the game. Maybe a chainchomp type attack, I'd like his clown hover craft to make an appearance. Maybe throw so koopa magic in there. The ground pound is insanely generic and a ton of characters have it. IMO total rework on Bowser, he has one of the greatest moveset potentials of any character in the game. And what do they do? Biting, Slaming, Spining, and Fire? Thats a disgrace.

MoshJarcus

Smash Rookie
I think a way to make him not suck is to replace him with Bowser Jr. I mean, he can keep the same moveset for the most part, but move and fall a lot faster.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think a way to make him not suck is to replace him with Bowser Jr. I mean, he can keep the same moveset for the most part, but move and fall a lot faster.
Bowser is too important to toss out though. Surely Nintendo can implement both characters into the mix.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The shell reducing damage is a good idea. But Bowser needs more weight anyway, and he needs to be a bit bigger even to increase his range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom