• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Bowser is super generic, he has demonstrated countless skills over the years and the only unique one shown in any of the smash games is the fire breath... Which should be a given. The biggest part of bowser seems to be his minions. I'd like to see more of those in the game. Maybe a chainchomp type attack, I'd like his clown hover craft to make an appearance. Maybe throw so koopa magic in there. The ground pound is insanely generic and a ton of characters have it. IMO total rework on Bowser, he has one of the greatest moveset potentials of any character in the game. And what do they do? Biting, Slaming, Spining, and Fire? Thats a disgrace.
I totally want Bowser's move set reworked. I really want to make a new move set for him. Maybe I will later.

Also, I agree with the shell doing damage to people and reducing damage. That would be epic and lulz.

:phone:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I really like Bowser's move set. It captures his personality within a fighting style. Sakurai could add a jumble of random powers Bowser had in his multitude of games, but this move set really is unifying.

But Bowser should be heavier, have hit-stun resistance to a degree, more super armor frames, a way to run through light projectiles without Knock-back, and be even more massive.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Bowserlick, have you ever played Brawl Minus? Haha. It's funny you mention that because all of the things you wanted changed are in it. Also, I find Bowser's movement very dull with the exception of his flame breath, and side b. The best way to capture a character's personality is to actually take what they do from their games. I feel like Sakurai took a look at Bowser and noticed he had a shell and claws, then started making stuff up based on entirely that.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bowserlick, have you ever played Brawl Minus? Haha. It's funny you mention that because all of the things you wanted changed are in it. Also, I find Bowser's movement very dull with the exception of his flame breath, and side b. The best way to capture a character's personality is to actually take what they do from their games. I feel like Sakurai took a look at Bowser and noticed he had a shell and claws, then started making stuff up based on entirely that.

I do understand your concern about his move set. Sakurai does have to develop a "fighting/brawling" style for each character. I am curious what you would do to change Bowser's tilts and/or aerials to reflect his games.

And I do not like his down B even though that is from a game.

*No, I have not played Brawl Minus. Does he still get crushed in that version?

Veggi

Smash Champion
Nah, I think he's one of the better characters and definitely not one of the worst. He has a move where he just charges through everything and it has infinite super armor. It's so cool and still not overpowered. But yeah, his down b is kind of dull. It should have super armor all the way through IMO. I'll try making up a move set later. I don't have enough time right now. Although I'd like to mention that I think his fair should stay and Bowser's down b should be his new dair with super armor. It would be used to smash people trying to place a move where he's going to land.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think his Down B should have super armor on a sliding scale (depending on how far he falls from) and should instantly go through shields and counters.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Not important, but I remember that Nintendo Power Player's Guide had a name for ever attack that the characters had and used in Melee. Here is Bower's.

Weak Attacks

1-2: Left Scratch, Right Scratch

Strong Attacks

Upward: Ceiling Scratch
Forward: Koopa Knuckle
Downward: Floor Scratch

SMASH ATTACKS:

Upward: Shell Shock
Forward: Hammerhead
Downward: Buzzsaw

Dash Attack: Horn Charge

Aerial Attacks:

Center: Gyroscope
Front: Jump Slash
Back: Spike Stretch
Up: Horn Toss
Down: Scrub Brush

Special Attacks

Standard B: Fire Breath
Foward B: Koopa Klaw
Upward B: Whirling Fortress
Downward B: Bowser Bomb

Grapples and Throw Downs

Pummel: Bull Horns
Front: Catapult
Back: Reverse Throw
Up: Blender
Down: Bowser Slam

Eh, such wanted to showcase something.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
I would love to see Bowser get the armor properties that he had in Project M. Not only would it help him deal with campers or threats that would overwhelm him with speed. It would also make him alot more threatening to most other characters on the roster. The other thing that I would love to see as an improvement is another thing Project M gave Bowser. And that's 50% more shield damage on his attacks.

Bowser needs some more work to make him a great character. Make it rewarding to play as him, and turn him into an almost unstoppable powerhouse in the right hands. That's what I want to see them do with Bowser in SSB4. Make it harder to camp Bowser, and make it harder for speedy characters like Marth to overwhelm him.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I really do think that all Bowser needs is either more survivability or being less susceptible to combos, a good and safe bread and butter move (like ftilt or fair only with way less lag), and super armor on our smashes and possibly a few other moves. I really do feel like Brawl was going in the right direction with Bowser, but they just fell short in a few areas.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
They should make Bowser's Side B more useful lol
Ive always wanted him to throw hammers like he did in the original Super Mario Bros. as his Side B. Bowser really needs a good projectile I think it would solve alot of his problems.
Also change his Neutral B so that he spits large slow moving fireballs if you just tap B, up to 3 at a time on screen. And he beathes fire like he does now if you hold it.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Oh god yes! He's been throwing hammers since day one! And in NSMB2 those hammers look amazing and devistating.

Hammers and fire balls, with the option to spray a stream of fire instead.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
But, I like the Koopa Klaw and Flying Slam. The latter is good for cheap kills if you have enough lives.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here are my recolors for Bowser...

[collapse=Recolors]

1: Default (green team)
2: Red (red team)
3: Blue; Somewhat designed to reference Dark Bowser (blue team)
4: References Bowser's black recolor from Melee and Brawl
5: Morton Koopa Jr. reference
6: Designed to reference Midbus[/collapse]

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Guys, Bowser's best move is easily his side b lol, getting rid of that would be removing his bread and butter from the game. And he doesnt need a projectile, all he needs is less cooldown on firebreath, then he has that covered. Really, he just needs less lag after his moves so hes safer. Hes got the speed, hes got the mobility, hes got the power, hes got the survivability, just give him a few safe options (preferably less cooldown on fair and ftilt), and maybe even some super armor on his smashes, a bit more grab range, and some hitbox fixes so his claws actually do damage.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Here are my recolors for Bowser...

[collapse=Recolors]

1: Default (green team)
2: Red (red team)
3: Blue; Somewhat designed to reference Dark Bowser (blue team)
4: References Bowser's black recolor from Melee and Brawl
5: Morton Koopa Jr. reference
6: Designed to reference Midbus[/collapse]
That's pretty good, I think Dark Bowser's scales are darker toned than that and there's something off about Red Bowser but I can't put my finger on it. Thumb's up!

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I think it might be that the skin tone is much darker in Brawl.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
If there is a way to include hammers, flying slam, and 2 types of fire I would be in bowser heaven. Granted they all were useful. How do Samus's missiles work? Seems like that could be the solution for hammers and Flying Slam.

As for the Bowser Bomb I would love the for the ending lag to stay in tact if when he hit the ground he caused a bit of an earthquake around him that caused non-damaging stun to opponents. Very much like Morton or Ludwig when they hit the ground in Mario titles. Maybe extending about as far as DKs ground slap.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As for the Bowser Bomb I would love the for the ending lag to stay in tact if when he hit the ground he caused a bit of an earthquake around him that caused non-damaging stun to opponents. Very much like Morton or Ludwig when they hit the ground in Mario titles. Maybe extending about as far as DKs ground slap.

In Super Mario Bros. 3, Bowser's ground pounds don't offer the ability to stun grounded players. This is also noticeable in the New Super Mario Bros. titles.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Samus' missiles are fired by either tilting forward before pressing B for a homing missile, or pressing forward and B at the same time for a strong missile.

And Id be cool with Bowser Bomb still being punishable as ****, just so long as the first hit actually combos into the second correctly like you'd think it should lol

Bowser really should be a character that you should be scared to rush down. He should be able to wreck your **** if he got a chance. I have a couple of ideas:

- Make the first hit of his D-tilt pull you in (regaurdless if they block or not) and the second have knock back. They could make it a double tap tilt als Snake's F-tilt. You could put the opponent in some nice pressure situations.
-Bring back his Koopa Claw from Melee. I was seriously disappointed when they got rid of such a versatile attack.
-Make his Bowser Fortress Chargeable and let bowser have some super armor during charge to help him read and punish rushdown.
-Give him a greater amount of degrees on his fire breath, up to a 90 degree angle strait up, or maybe when he goes strait up he begins to frantically wave his fire left to right while it's going up. This could help him punish people who recover on platforms or try to mix up recovery or mess up a punish. Ex: If Marth UpB'd out of shield and landed on a platform, if Bowser reacts quick enough he can aim his fire up and punish his mistake. If Marth blocks he'll be pushed off the platform, if not he takes some damage from a bad position.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bowser's Flying Slam is probably one of the coolest looking moves int he game. And flavorful. I think it should stay. Bowser needs to be a tank. He needs to be dangerous in close range. You should not want to exchange punches with Bowser, and that is exactly what the big turtle wants to do. He just needs super armor frames and some stun-resistance.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Best thing to do IMO is have him be able do do the Flying Slam out of the Koopa Claw. But that's just me.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Or you could just mix them together.

Back & Forward versions work the same as they did in Melee, but the Up version is the Flying Slam.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

Back & Forward versions work the same as they did in Melee, but the Up version is the Flying Slam.
Sounds good to me. But you might as well fill in the last direction. What would you have down do? Or if you change Flying Slam to down, what would you have up do?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Sounds good to me. But you might as well fill in the last direction. What would you have down do? Or if you change Flying Slam to down, what would you have up do?
Have down be a straight-up regular body slam. Unless that's already his D-throw, in whoch case I'm at a loss for what to do.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
In Super Mario Bros. 3, Bowser's ground pounds don't offer the ability to stun grounded players. This is also noticeable in the New Super Mario Bros. titles.
Right, hence why I brought up the koopa kids. A character borrowing moves from another character in their respective series isn't unheard of.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

That might work. Of course, the Koopa Klaw's execution is longer than the Flying Slam's, so there would have to be a way to combine the two so that the execution wouldn't be too easy to punish.

That might work. Of course, the Koopa Klaw's execution is longer than the Flying Slam's, so there would have to be a way to combine the two so that the execution wouldn't be too easy to punish.
In Melee the when you aren't within range to use the grapple range of the attack is was an attack with decent knockback. I believe that in itself will minimize risk. Giving it the function as a grab, grab attack, special throw and regular attack would make him extremely versatile.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Guys, Bowser's best move is easily his side b lol, getting rid of that would be removing his bread and butter from the game. And he doesnt need a projectile, all he needs is less cooldown on firebreath, then he has that covered. Really, he just needs less lag after his moves so hes safer. Hes got the speed, hes got the mobility, hes got the power, hes got the survivability, just give him a few safe options (preferably less cooldown on fair and ftilt), and maybe even some super armor on his smashes, a bit more grab range, and some hitbox fixes so his claws actually do damage.
But his side b probably isnt going to act the same way in the new game as it does in Brawl. If it does it can stay but I dont see the problem in a large character having a decent projectile of his own in a game in which nearly every other character has atleast one of their own. Its seems like a major negative to me.

D

Deleted member

Bowser needs projectile other than fireball?

Why not hammers?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Bowser doesn't really need another projectile IMO. Making his >B a fusion of Koopa Klaw and Flying Slam would be fine, in m opinion.

But I don't really main Bowser, so what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom