• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
Can't wait to see the new Giga Bowser design, I already know it's going to be epic! Tapping b and shooting a fireball was probably the best idea for Bowser I've ever heard, as long as the range isn't too high and he can't spam it.

Also, his dash attack is a running kick and his fsmash is a drop kick now! Wow, Wii fit trainer works fast.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I dont come here but i love bowser heavily my default Smash main always will be Bowser is a G.

He looks awsome in Sm4sh bowser be so pumped for Sm4sh he be practising playing Smash 64.

Hehehe took this pic just now had to share it my love my contribution to Bowser and this Thread !!!

20130717_192933.jpg

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
Can't wait to see the new Giga Bowser design, I already know it's going to be epic! Tapping b and shooting a fireball was probably the best idea for Bowser I've ever heard, as long as the range isn't too high and he can't spam it.

Also, his dash attack is a running kick and his fsmash is a drop kick now! Wow, Wii fit trainer works fast.
According to Mario Power Tennis, Bowser is a professional trainer himself.

Granted his methods are a bit more...extreme.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Ok about Giga Bowser, I think there should be more time to play as him than 15 seconds, I barely get to do anything before turning back.

My thought is maybe making Giga Bowser like he was in Melee, rather than being completely invincible, allow him to be koed, maybe he can be like Samus's Zero Suit Transformation in Brawl, once he changes, he remains Giga Bowser until he is koed.

Also for fun, like Zero Suit Samus in Brawl, add the hold R to begin a battle as Giga Bowser, that would be tons of fun whether you're playing with friends and you want to surprise them, or if you're playing solo wanting to destroy everything in your path, at least until you are koed.

Oh and btw, he can still be koed just like the original bowser, it wouldn't take like 999% damage to ko him, just to be fair.

Also let him use items, if there is a Assist Trophy or Pokeball, I want to pick it up and use it, and also allow him to get really big if he gets a super mushroom, especially in special giant mode, and I also want to play as Metal Giga Bowser.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I like the changes announced to Bowser in the Developer Direct video. Looks like he can actually run now. I'm excited to play as him.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
No more of that thing where he... I'm going to be honest, when Bowser dashes in Melee and Brawl, I don't know what he's doing, it sure isn't running.

The funny thing is to perform advanced tactics, you have to dash, so Bowser actually running does look better.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace

Thoug, who is to say that Koopa's Final Smash might change? Would he use Giga Bowser again?

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
The Koopa Clown Car comes to mind. He could fly around the stage and throw bomb-ombs at people.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Bowser doesn't really need another projectile IMO. Making his >B a fusion of Koopa Klaw and Flying Slam would be fine, in m opinion.

But I don't really main Bowser, so what do I know.
I think a projectile might be the only thing that could save Bowser from mediocrity yet again.

Bowser is a big, slow target and as such extremely easy to harass with projectiles, making him extremely campable and forcing him to approach.

ROB was as good as he was because he had TWO very solid projectiles he could use to put pressure on opponents.

Also, look at 1:04 onward in this trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT4xjd9bGI0

Not only does he have a new f-smash and dash attack, but both of them come out fairly quickly.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Tapping b and shooting a fireball was probably the best idea for Bowser I've ever heard, as long as the range isn't too high and he can't spam it.
I say let him spam it.

If Pit, Falco, Pikachu, Mario, etc. can all spam their projectiles, why not Bowser?

If any character needed (and I mean NEEDED) a projectile to force their opponents on the offensive, it's Bowser.

Otherwise, he can be camped and heckled far too easily.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I don't think Bowser would really be able to spam his fireball attack. Like the sustained flamethrower, it would drain his firebreath reserves, so after pumping out three fireballs he'd only blow smoke when trying again until it regenerates.

I think them having long range is totally fine... remember, the fireballs move really slowly. They'd be more about zoning and controlling the stage than actually trying to hit enemies. As I envision them, they would be the slowest projectile in the game, but also be the strongest uncharged projectile.

And he'd still be able to firebreath if he holds down the button instead of tapping it.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I don't think Bowser would really be able to spam his fireball attack. Like the sustained flamethrower, it would drain his firebreath reserves, so after pumping out three fireballs he'd only blow smoke when trying again until it regenerates.

I think them having long range is totally fine... remember, the fireballs move really slowly. They'd be more about zoning and controlling the stage than actually trying to hit enemies. As I envision them, they would be the slowest projectile in the game, but also be the strongest uncharged projectile.

And he'd still be able to firebreath if he holds down the button instead of tapping it.
Or maybe setting parts of the stage on fire temporarily?

I like the idea of the slow-moving projectiles, but at the same time, I worry because...

1. They're easily deflected, absorbed, etc., giving him extremely unfavorable matchups against characters like Ness, the villager, etc.

2. The projectile needs to either apply pressure or at least balance the pressure placed upon him by opponents.

If Bowser is going to stand a chance, he needs something that could reliably control the stage (ground fire) or the projectile needs to be quick enough that an opponent who runs to other end of final destination and spams projectiles at him will have to deal with his projectiles in turn.

He's too big a target to not have some form of counter-pressure, unless they give him a GODLY approach mechanism this game (like MK's tornado).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Or maybe setting parts of the stage on fire temporarily?

I like the idea of the slow-moving projectiles, but at the same time, I worry because...

1. They're easily deflected, absorbed, etc., giving him extremely unfavorable matchups against characters like Ness, the villager, etc.

2. The projectile needs to either apply pressure or at least balance the pressure placed upon him by opponents.

If Bowser is going to stand a chance, he needs something that could reliably control the stage (ground fire) or the projectile needs to be quick enough that an opponent who runs to other end of final destination and spams projectiles at him will have to deal with his projectiles in turn.

He's too big a target to not have some form of counter-pressure, unless they give him a GODLY approach mechanism this game (like MK's tornado).

Good points. I, largely, want to bring Smash more towards accurate representation of the characters whenever possible, so that was my priority. Igniting the stage, however, is completely awesome...

Maybe when using the fireballs in the air they angle downward and when they collide with the stage they heat up a spot and make it glow red to cause damage?
Same with using his sustained fire breath, he could heat up the area in front of him and you could watch the stage glow red and start to dim over time.

I personally would solve the pressure issue by putting in this move that I've posted elsewhere (five minutes ago):
Koopa Claw replacement:

CHOMP TOSS
While the button's held, Bowser swings a chain chomp around by its chain above his head, hurting aerial attackers. When the button's released, he throws the chain chomp forward which bounces along the ground trying to bite enemies for a few seconds before leaping down off the stage.
-He'd be able to walk slowly while swinging it.
-The roaming chain chomp would turn around when hitting a wall.
-The chomp can be knocked away by attacks.
-The chomp, when connecting with an enemy, bites down on them and chews for a second, temporarily slowing the enemy and hurting them.
-Only one chomp can be on the screen at a time, so the move isn't spammable.

I would love playing as Bowser if his shtick changed more towards controlling the stage and forcing enemies into his powerful blows.
So, with the fireballs occupying the air space and the chain chomp patrolling the ground, he could hold a significant advantage in controlling where enemies can safely patrol.

As far as reflectability of the fireballs... yeah. It's a big downside. :) He fortunately would be able to at least cancel reflected projectiles with another fireball to clash against it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I don't think Bowser is going to get a projectile. Maybe in a Final Smash. Although I always loved the idea of Bowser using a Chain Chomp. Maybe a Mariokart question mark box or something like that could be an item and by connecting with it a character gets a character specific weapon.

But in terms of projectiles, I think Bowser is being streamlined to fit the position of a character that likes to trade jabs. He has quite a bit of weight so he usually will have the advantage in exchanging punch for punch. So now he has better tools to close the distance: Slightly faster run, fast dash, and a quick less punishable neutral aerial. His firebreath looked longer to me, but not sure if that is accurate.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
But in terms of projectiles, I think Bowser is being streamlined to fit the position of a character that likes to trade jabs. He has quite a bit of weight so he usually will have the advantage in exchanging punch for punch. So now he has better tools to close the distance: Slightly faster run, fast dash, and a quick less punishable neutral aerial. His firebreath looked longer to me, but not sure if that is accurate.
I think we'd only really see this if peppering him with quick attacks isn't going to permastun him, though.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I think sakurai should base alot of bowser game plan on the koopa claw by making it super good in range, startup recovery etc. I would like him to have a scary grab pressure game up close.

Yeah, his OoS grab from Brawl has some bad ending lag (if I remember correctly, not really a Bowser main) so if that's fixed it could be something seriously great to add to Bowser's Smash 4 metagame.

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Bowser's Brawl Koopa Klaw is already scary enough as is, no need to buff it beyond what it did in brawl.
I'd much rather see him get Fireballs built into his Neutral-B, more super armor, and to just make his moves reasonably rewarding to land as a whole. I know when I played Brawl Bowser, his average move was super slow, and not powerful/damaging enough to compensate for it's slowness, which is an obvious design flaw. The harder it is to hit someone with a move, the more reward one should receive for successfully doing so. This should be a general rule of thumb for balancing characters, outside of Glass Cannon character archetypes. I'm so hopeful that Bowser's SSB4 changes are enough to make him a viable tournament character ever since Sakurai advertised Bowser's new design in the developer direct video.

P.S, Bowser's new walk animation showcased in the developer direct video (from 1:56 to 1:57) is so badass. I'm going to make a point to just strut around with Bowser constantly.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hey guys, do we know what's happening here?

Normally I'd say it'd be a normal dodge, or maybe even a charge-up to his Melee and Brawl F-Smash, but the slash effect that Mario is dodging begs to differ. Btw, Bowser is enormous when standing lean.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hey guys, do we know what's happening here?

Normally I'd say it'd be a normal dodge, or maybe even a charge-up to his Melee and Brawl F-Smash, but the slash effect that Mario is dodging begs to differ. Btw, Bowser is enormous when standing lean.
Isn't that the startup of his Bowser Bomb?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Isn't that the startup of his Bowser Bomb?
Wouldn't the slash effect only come when he's airbourne though? To me it kind of looks like the slash effect goes from up to down, if that makes sense.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Wouldn't the slash effect only come when he's airbourne though? To me it kind of looks like the slash effect goes from up to down, if that makes sense.
I understand, it's just that that photo is taken from the portion of the trailer where Bowser uses his Down B, then gets blasted offscreen by Mario's F-Smash.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I understand, it's just that that photo is taken from the portion of the trailer where Bowser uses his Down B, then gets blasted offscreen by Mario's F-Smash.
Is it that? Didn't look recognizable to me, but now that you mention it I can see it. Still, kind of looked like what could be a new U-Smash or U-Tilt to me on that picture, so thought it might have been worth sharing either way.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Bowser does need more photos in general, considering, according to our tallies, he's been shown the least out of all known characters.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
So far we've seen his new dash attack,forawrd smash and neutral aerial. And the bigger hitbox for Bowser Bomb.

I'm looking forward to play as King of the Koopas! *roar*

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I'm gonna agree with everyone else and say he NEEDS super armor because he's just so big.

If that won't happen, at least make the big guy harder to kill, to at least make up for his big size.

One idea I have to improve him is make his shell itself more durable. You know how Link's shield can deflect projectiles? How about having attacks that land on Bowser's shell do less damage than those that strike head-on?

That's exactly what I thought!

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Any ideas on how Bowser should enter the fight? I'm digging the idea of him flying down from his Koopa Clown Car and slamming into the ground, breaking it in an intimidating fashion.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Any ideas on how Bowser should enter the fight? I'm digging the idea of him flying down from his Koopa Clown Car and slamming into the ground, breaking it in an intimidating fashion.

Him stepping out of flames is just badass...but I would like the koopa clown car too.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Bowser should ride on to the stage on an airship or his purple car from Super Mario 3D World.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'd much rather see him get Fireballs built into his Neutral-B, more super armor, and to just make his moves reasonably rewarding to land as a whole.
Agreed about landing moves, but I want a projectile even more than super armor.

We need something to keep small, fast characters who can spam projectiles from leap evading around him, running to the other end of the stage and spamming projectiles at him. The only thing that can truly do that would be a projectile of his own (or being able to light parts of the stage on fire).

If Diddy can toss out two banana peels that remain for a long amount of time, it would be perfectly reasonable to do it for Bowser as well.

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
I just recently fell in love with playing bowser in smash!!

He's for sure going to be an alt in smash 4 (if not my main) :bowser:

jacobj77

Smash Rookie
I really like the slow moving fireball idea. Like lucarios aura sphere in pm. Have they shown his up special yet? If not, it would be awesome if the clown car was his up special.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
The ability to charge up Bowser's flame breath so you can launch a fireball that does a considerable amount of damage.

Less recovery time for Bowser's down B so it doesn't become a huge punish magnet when it misses.

Little to no stun from light, fast neutral A's such as Fox and Meta Knight's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom