• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boss presents: The cape ****

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I found a great use. If a Snake gets blown up with a grenade or C4, the cape will kill him relatively early. Fun stuff.

EDIT: Watch out though, if you cape as the explosion hits, he will actually stay in place! Wtf!?

Kenrawr

Smash Master
Do you stay close when the opportunity arises? What's your general strategy when in a team battle?

And I think it's because you know your partner well and already have game plan in your heads. (Not to mention you both know about the whole cape **** thing). When you simply team up with a player at a tourney the "you get your guy, I get mine" is usually how it's played out. It's simply temporary, and they're just usually in it to win, and will most likely just want to handle their own guy like a one on one match.

It annoys me how last minute team pair ups are. Always play friendlies first if you don't know somebody.
Me and Boss were teaming in friendlies (a first?) and I was running around with kirby and uthrowing people and he would just wait for the right moment to cape. I don't think team chemistry is too big of a factor.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Me and Boss were teaming in friendlies (a first?) and I was running around with kirby and uthrowing people and he would just wait for the right moment to cape. I don't think team chemistry is too big of a factor.
If people come to know this strategy they'll be much more likely to keep you guys really far apart... it'll be just like another ZSS/GW, except Mario is less dangerous comparatively, lol.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I would disagree especially if you team with Kirby/MK. It wouldn't be that hard to get over there before the Uthrow ends, and in general, this seems like it wouldn't require too complex of teamwork to accomplish.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
You guys really think you can keep a mario from getting near a uthrowing...anyone (almost) 100% of the match?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I can really only see it being used in situations like Boss showed us, those 2v1's toward the end of a match.
2v1s and if you manage to knock the other opponent very far away and/or they die off the top.

Also, just like he has plenty of time to get there before the animation ends, your opponent has the same amount of time to get there and interrupt in some way.

Even then, the Kirby has to go get that grab, and if people know something dangerous is coming that relies on a grab, they will turn the world upside down to avoid it. Believe me, now that people have experienced infinite bites, first thing they do as soon as they're alone is hop on that ledge and ***** it.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I alt Mario and would love more fun things to do with him in teams, but I'm just being a realist.

SojinX

Smash Apprentice
This is really cool did any one try that this out wih bowser

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
oshi. boss i was about to drop mario in doubles for gaw's bucket but now you just reached a sexy new level. You think mario and gaw = sexy team???? cape **** / bucket kills = ftw???? woohooo boss u mah hero....

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I didn't have time to look through the thread.
Does it work with Olimar's upthrow?

roman5hero

Smash Apprentice
could it work for the catapult on tl's stage if so that could be a new counterpick for you guys. well maby not because it is hard to guess when it launches someone.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I always thought Pirate ship was always banned. Lol. You know what was weird?

I was fighting a mario user with my luigi, i did a misfire, he was in the cape animation, somewhat it connected and i was in the opposite direction while he got stage spiked 0.0. I was like wtf 0.0. Does anyone know if cape has inv frames or something?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Hasn't this been known about for a while...?

Anyway, this is also possible to pull off in singles, but a lot harder. Managed to kill my fiends Lucas yesterday at 60% by caping his PK fire back into him and hitting him with the cape at the same time the PK fire hit him. Insane knockback.

Yeah, we need to do this more.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Hasn't this been known about for a while...?

Anyway, this is also possible to pull off in singles, but a lot harder. Managed to kill my fiends Lucas yesterday at 60% by caping his PK fire back into him and hitting him with the cape at the same time the PK fire hit him. Insane knockback.

Yeah, we need to do this more.
I did it to my friends R.O.B in singles today, glide tossed right into my cape and got his with the top and cape, he was sent ridiculously far and died around 80%.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I didn't have time to look through the thread.
Does it work with Olimar's upthrow?
I'm guessing we're still in the testing phase. We need to find out how much cape amplifies knockback and specifically which attacks work with this well enough to KO and decent percentages.

Judge? Wanna help me make a list?

Atash

Smash Apprentice
*first post I've made in the Mario forums... and everything looks so... red... and... not manly...* :-P

I realize that I'm a Luigi main and don't have much to contribute - but a question regarding the cape being used alongside Luigi's missile... It results in the person dying off the top of the stage (not the side), yes? (( EDIT: uhm... wait... Matador said... any direction?? ))

So, along with the bowser vid in tandem with what everyone seems to be saying about the cape (and this appears to have not been said in the thread yet), it could generally be said that the cape will work its magic for any decently strong upward-knockback attack, yes (I am a Mario newbie - correct me if I'm wrong -.-' )?

That in itself opens up doors... Unlike the ZSS+G&W kick-the-bucket-team (or whatever you wish to call it), there's a large amount of flexibility with Mario as long as the team members maintain the match close to each other (according to boss) and have some decently powerful upward-knockback move (throws, purple pikmin, various dash attacks, Luigi's strong N-air :-D ).

Yet another idea: in a non-team-attack match (how rare are these?), Olimar's U-smash (iirc especially with the use of yellow pikmin due to their unusually large horizontal range [team communication via whistle order :-D :-D :-D ]) could prove invaluable.

EDIT: Watch out though, if you cape as the explosion hits, he will actually stay in place! Wtf!?
I'm under the impression that the cape maintains both the magnitude and direction of the vertical momentum over the course of the hit along with the magnitude and negated direction of the horizontal momentum, and that the 'Cape Momentum' is a programmatic artifact of that effect (correct me if I'm wrong). My theory: if you cape Snake just as the grenade hits, no vertical knockback is imparted on him because his lack of momentum is being maintained over the course of the cape's hit (vertical = 0 -> 0, horizontal = 0 -> -0 = 0) (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Ismael

Smash Ace
I did cape **** today on wi-fi. I was just doing some random team battles, when I got paired up with a Kirby (I was Mario) against a Fox and G&W on Smashville.

Well, we were playing the match, when the Fox player grabbed a capsule. I, on one side of the Fox player noticed this and quickly short hopped, getting ready to cape it if he throw it at me. It turns out the Kirby player noticed the Fox had a capsule as well, so he ran at him, and did his dash attack.

I caped the Fox just as he got knocked slighly upward by the attack, which launched him up even more. Now, the Fox was at 0% when we did this, so he didn't INNITIALLY die. When he got hit upward a little, it seemed okay to simply continue the fight. So he double jumped, went off screen, and he instantly died...

The Fox player was like wtf just happened?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
So let's go over what the cape **** just to make sure we're (mostly me >.>) on the right page. Basically it's a doubles combo thinggy, with someone doing a a dthrow or a upthrow while mario does a cape on them amplifying a ****load of verticalheight resulting in star kos at low %s... is that right?

and how is it done in singles???

Ismael

Smash Ace
If Snake blows himself up with one of his explosives, you can quickly cape him for massive knockback, leading to a KO. It's also good if you use it against Snake's c4 recovery.

Also, if you cape a projectile, and then the cape hits your opponent as they get hit from the reflected projectile, then the knock back will be massive.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
So let's go over what the cape **** just to make sure we're (mostly me >.>) on the right page. Basically it's a doubles combo thinggy, with someone doing a a dthrow or a upthrow while mario does a cape on them amplifying a ****load of verticalheight resulting in star kos at low %s... is that right?

and how is it done in singles???
It's simple really. If an opponent is caped during knockback the cape either multiplies OR adds to that knockback (Not sure on which one) so anytime you catch the opponent in knockback in singles with a cape it'll work, just be on the lookout. Maybe a Snake that blew himself up, or somebody hit by a stage hazard on Norfair.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
If Snake blows himself up with one of his explosives, you can quickly cape him for massive knockback, leading to a KO. It's also good if you use it against Snake's c4 recovery.

Also, if you cape a projectile, and then the cape hits your opponent as they get hit from the reflected projectile, then the knock back will be massive.
That situation almost never happens however, most of the time when I get to that situation the projectile passes through the opponent because it's too close.

Top Bottom