• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boss answers your mario questions(in style) UPDATED!!!! first PG

Famous

Smash Champion
I'm a beginner (yeah, laugh now) and the Lv. 9's are getting way too easy. I don't even have to use SH's at all to 5-stock them if I get lucky.

That's just the problem though. I'm starting to get a few friends with Brawl (something I didn't have before) and whenever I wanna do a short hop in a serious match, it turns into a higher jump inadvertedly. Also, when I manage to pull it off, I accidentally do a Fair when I meant to do a Nair. Any tips at all? (we're talking Mario here)
To do approaching SH Nairs, I usually dash forward releasing the analog then sliding my thumb along the X and A button. Or you could always practice tapping X or Y gently to Short Hop.

Nair is a good ledge guarder and it's good to use against spot dodgers...

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I only have a few videos up, most of which are wi-fi and of me using Ness...
I'll get more replays in, and a capture card some time before summer.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Videos of me don't exist.

Hence why everybody either thinks I'm a random scrub or a horrible Mario player.

Keep thinking that, muahahahaha!

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You'd probably get more hype if you had a computer to post on, I love having your contribution on some of the things we discuss.

If only you could give us your full opinions, I know how long it takes to type on that.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Well, I have a keyboard, but it still takes FOREVER to go back and edit something.

During the Marth discussion I was on a dial-up computer, lol, so it was a step up, and a step down.

I'm ordering a dazzle, so I'll try to get some matches on the interwebz.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yeah, I feel like people respect me more or less for the post count. I place pretty well, but my competition is a joke, there's about 6 people that show up to these monthlies that are even that good.

2 Marth users, an MK, a Game and Watch, and some others. We're all usually in the top 10 out of 30-something people.

Famous

Smash Champion
<-----Wouldn't be surprised.

In all honesty, I'm not that good. My Mario needs serious work. I'm way overrated.
Don't say that. You have a great Mario from what I see...There is always room for improvements...that applies to everyone

Btw, the Marth Videos are up! Check them out

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Marth videos... are up... nearly 15 hours late.
lol kidding Famous. :p

I'll go watch em' now.

KhaosTy

Smash Rookie
Well, you gotta know that I'm still kind of maining Random here. It's annoying; all my friends have mains chosen already. I've kinda been using Ness, but that's likely to change real soon.

I'm a casual player who wants to play harder. And there's no tournaments or smashfests in Manila, and there's the fact that time zones are different; what may be prime smash time online for you might be bedtime for me. And I'm 13. Bedtime's pretty early.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I'll get right to them. You may see me on the boards of other characters, but I think Mario sounds like someone I wanna play as.

BTW: Calvin and Hobbes Rocks. Out Loud.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
This is all my opinion on Mario mains based off of VIDEOS(so take it for what it's worth):

Most defensive - Myself and Monk.
Most aggressive - Matador.
Most balanced - Boss and Bo x7
Most fluctuated - Vato... for reals, one day he's all aggressive, and the next he planks all day long =/

Note - I don't watch many videos =/

Famous

Smash Champion
Famous did you upload my bowser vids too?

Lmao Boss...You powered up then started to teleport...Before I knew it you were behind me and I got spiked.

Kadaj, there recorded but I cant upload them. I had these videos on a usb then I gave them to Joel to upload

Kanzaki, did you look at my vids?

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
This is all my opinion on Mario mains based off of VIDEOS(so take it for what it's worth):

Most defensive - Myself and Monk.
Most aggressive - Matador.
Most balanced - Boss and Bo x7
Most fluctuated - Vato... for reals, one day he's all aggressive, and the next he planks all day long =/

Note - I don't watch many videos =/
I haven't had a new video out in so long...I really only play defensive in doubles in singles I fluctuate depending on who I'm playing, what character they're using, my experience with the match-up, and my mood

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Ahem.

I believe I hold the title for...

Most secretive style. UNLESS ????? decides to make an appearance, but it'd still be close. Nobody here really knows how I play (other than Vyyruss, but that was in a decent connection, some lag.)

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Ahem.

I believe I hold the title for...

Most secretive style. UNLESS ????? decides to make an appearance, but it'd still be close. Nobody here really knows how I play (other than Vyyruss, but that was in a decent connection, some lag.)
Wifi doens't mean anything.

bobson

Smash Lord
I am too busy to be of any assistance at this moment.

*I apologize for my absence*
??????? has to be an alt account of a regular here. There's no way he could be too busy to ever come around yet somehow find the time to search for his name every day and reply with this every time he finds it, especially considering that it'd take multiple searches due to nobody using the correct amount of question marks.

Edit: I claim the title of Worst Mario.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
It's 7 question marks? I thought it was five.

We should just mention his name periodically, and see if he responds. :D

EDIT: Sine Wifi means nothing, I still have teh most secretive style, YAAAAAAAAY!

bebar

Smash Cadet
I have a question, Its kinda nooby but whatever. I have been playing mario for a little bit now and am having so much fun. But anyways every time i jab cancel should i be tapping down right after the first jab. Like in other words does tapping down right after make the lag less or something to go into another tilt/smash quickly. Also do you have any tips for playing a sonic. My buddy plays an extremely good sonic with all those spin cancels and stuff he seems like hes all over the map and a step ahead of me everytime.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I have a question, Its kinda nooby but whatever. I have been playing mario for a little bit now and am having so much fun. But anyways every time i jab cancel should i be tapping down right after the first jab. Like in other words does tapping down right after make the lag less or something to go into another tilt/smash quickly.
Short answer, yes.

Also do you have any tips for playing a sonic. My buddy plays an extremely good sonic with all those spin cancels and stuff he seems like hes all over the map and a step ahead of me everytime.
Use grounded fireballs to help control his ground approaches, Dairs to prevent dash grabs, and don't get impatient. The key to fighting Sonic is the ability to read his movements and not get caught off-guard; fireballs and patience will make this a lot easier.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
That depends on what you're following the cape glide with.

On Fox/Falco/Wolf you could cape glide to reach them and cape before their side B starts, scoring a gimp.

I know you can cape others out of a cape glide, but meh.

You can also spike, nair, or uair, I usually score kills with Nair/Uair at medium percents on light characters after a cape glide, since you're so close to the blast zone.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Capeglide characters that can't defend themselves offstage because of a limited recovery. Some characters can't airdodge, some can't attack, some can't maneuver anywhere besides to the stage, all because if they DO try to defend themselves offstage, they risk missing the ledge. Wolf is one such character.

bobson

Smash Lord
The best character to use capeglide on is one whose main doesn't know about Mario. I've gimped Metaknights relying on that "WHAT THE **** HE JUST FLEW OUT AT ME OH GOD NOW I'M GOING THE WRONG WAY" reaction and split-second indecision.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
So Bobson, you mean nearly every player in the MW right? At my last two tourneys, people have been saying "Wdf is that?" to the cape glide. Some of them even went "Wdf was that?" when I caped their recovery, good times.

Famous

Smash Champion
Supercape works on every character...The only thing that may be different is there position when you do it...

If there really close Nair or Uair...If they are in Fairs sweetspot then try Fairing...

I usually nair since it kills and it comes out quickest

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Jab. Just... abuse it more than you would in any other matchup. I'm dead serious.

Top Bottom