• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Black Knight for Brawl (SPOILERS AHEAD)

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
FE isn't the most popular of the series so I think the quota will be 2 characters max, 3 if the third is a clone.

The problem with Hector is that he isn't totally the main character of his game. Eliwood is. And Eliwood is the lamest thing on earth. I can't picture neither of the three lords of that game separately. The same for Sacred Stones. I think both sets should be AT attacks, more faitfull to their roles.

Potential FE characters: Marth (Akaneia), Sigurd (Jugdral), Roy (Elibe) and Black Knight (Ike's nemesis). Sigurd's time has passed. Roy may drop, but it isn't 100% sure. I'm opposed to all non-lord presence as playable chacters (lord not necessarily main character, but most important figure in his timeline), not until many games are represented.

So, possible scenarios from this:

· Ike alone (worst case scenario)
· Ike and Marth (fast counter character)
· Ike, Marth and Black Knight as a clone (best scenario)
· Ike, Marth and Roy as a luigified clone (less likely scenario)
· Ike and Black Knight

But again, that's just me.
These scenarios are likely. I was thinking about if FE10 main characters (like sothe and Miciaiah) even had a chance to be in Brawl, but seeing how their using FE9 Ike i doubt it.

Hong

The Strongest
Even though Macaiah is from Tellius, being radically different then Ike and from a currently well received different game her chances aren't lowered. I mean, what if Sakurai wants to give her the Roy treatment since the game is released November 5th in North America?? It'd both appeal to fans of FE 10 and promote the character for those who haven't bought it yet. :D
Sothe's chances aren't that high because he's another Jeigan in one form or another.
Jeigan will forever follow every Fire Emblem player to sap them of their precious EXP. D<

GenG

Smash Lord
There are a lot of unreleased games for Wii and DS so they can't be pushing characters nobody knows. It worked for Roy as something extraordinary, a marketing focused character. But characters should be picked by its own merits and FE situation in Melee era was totally different from now, sort of "damaged".

If they want to promote FE10 so badly, they should stick with the trophies or ATs, like usual.

And, let's put it fair: If one game gets marketing purposes, the rest should too. And because that, a lot of interesting characters wouldn't make the cut. Ike appears in FE10 too so it works as a marketing character.

IllidR

Smash Champion
So, possible scenarios from this:

· Ike alone (worst case scenario)
· Ike and Marth (fast counter character)
· Ike, Marth and Black Knight as a clone (best scenario)
· Ike, Marth and Roy as a luigified clone (less likely scenario)
· Ike and Black Knight

But again, that's just me.
I like your third and fifth scenarios.. but the fifth the most because even though you didn't include Marth, you didn't put Black Knight as a clone as I don't think he should be.

BLACK KNIGHT FOR BRAWL!

Hong

The Strongest
There are a lot of unreleased games for Wii and DS so they can't be pushing characters nobody knows. It worked for Roy as something extraordinary, a marketing focused character. But characters should be picked by its own merits and FE situation in Melee era was totally different from now, sort of "damaged".

If they want to promote FE10 so badly, they should stick with the trophies or ATs, like usual.

And, let's put it fair: If one game gets marketing purposes, the rest should too. And because that, a lot of interesting characters wouldn't make the cut. Ike appears in FE10 too so it works as a marketing character.
That's quite true actually. Even though the Ike in Brawl is the Ike at the end of FE9 (Ranger, Ragnell, older), his presence on the DOJO!! has already drawn quite a few Fire Emblem newcomers. Ike will more likely than not rake in even more Fire Emblem fans. Maybe the days of localized FE 1-4/5/6 are not that far away? :p
Though that's not the point.

The other reason I'd want Macaiah over Marth or Sigurd is that she's radically different. Don't get me wrong, I fully acknowledge that Marth has a different form of swordplay, different build and greater speed than any of the other swordsmen. Though Macaiah represents not just another brute form of combat from Fire Emblem, but the magic side. Yeah, she'd probably still be using a staff to attack physically for a few weak attacks, but that's all. Based upon the limited group I get to speak to, they are all very fond of Macaiah. (Though it's too small of a sample size.) Combined with the fact that FE10 was well received (the common complaint is the same as PoR; 3d transition) makes her a viable choice in my mind. Though if Black Knight makes it, another Tellius character would seem redundant. She's the only Mage Lord (Omit Gaiden), a female character and not so bold in contrast with the other Fire Emblem suggestions. The brighter side of Fire Emblem could use some spot-light.
/badum-pishhh

So I see the possibilities as;
Ike, Black Knight
Ike, Marth
Ike, Marth, Sigurd
Ike, Macaiah
Ike, Marth, Black Knight
Ike, Marth, Macaiah
Or if Sakurai suddenly becomes a Fire Emblem fanboy. (So probably never)
Ike, Marth, Black Knight, Macaiah

I guess it's all perspective. Sakurai is just too unpredictable.

RDK

Smash Hero
Ike, Marth
I'd like to see this the most. That, or Ike + Hector / Ike + Ephraim.

3 FE characters is too much of a crowd, and 4 FE characters is too much, period.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I only see Ike which is confirmed...

Black knight since hes has appeared in 2 games now, one being ikes main arch nemesis and the 2nd being now playable, so if im right that has never happend with any other FE bad guy, so yeah lets hope hes in...

and Micaiah, since shes from the newest FE, female and a light magic user, and well I dont want FE to be considered the sword franchise in smash, so yeah...

Shuma

Smash Hero
Out with the Old in with the new. I really think the Black Knight should have priority over Marth now that Ike is in the game.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
Ike(sword)
Hector(axe)
Ephraim(spear)

we've got the weapon triangle now...

but Ike and Black Knight would be nice...if it were me I would like a minimum of 3-4 characters per franchise...but w/e...

and I don't feel like listing all of my desired FE pplz...

Hong

The Strongest
Ike(sword)
Hector(axe)
Ephraim(spear)

but Ike and Black Knight would be nice...if it were me I would like a minimum of 3-4 characters per franchise...but w/e...

The way I see it, Fire Emblem just missed the rope with getting Sigurd in 64. That would have been one character. So in melee, Sigurd missed the rope again but we got two. With that, I agree that at least three characters deserve a spot. Especially considering there are so many different characters which could all offer something different.

Oh, I'd also like to remind everyone once again that Black Knight can use a spear as a secondary, such as an up-smash, B move or throwing a javelin. Just to throw that out there to help think up more flexible movesets.

GenG

Smash Lord
Oh, I'd also like to remind everyone once again that Black Knight can use a spear as a secondary, such as an up-smash, B move or throwing a javelin. Just to throw that out there to help think up more flexible movesets.
That reminds me about one of the most awesome things I've seen while playing these series: Zephyr's weapon in FE6. If that one were implemented for the Black Knight in PoR and GoD, holy ****, Black Knight for Brawl now.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Ike(sword)
Hector(axe)
Ephraim(spear)

Well Brawl isn't supposed to be really rock-paper-scizzors. "Hah! My axe counters your spear!":dizzy:

I'd still like 3-4 characters, but i doubt it with Fire Emblem not being the most popular franchise.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm, I never played a FE in wich black night featured, but wouldn't it be interesting if his down B made him switch weapons between sword, axe, and spear? each one with diferent attributes and making the other b moves have diferent hitboxes and knockbacks.

I assume Black Knight only used a sword on the games he apeared in, but when you're such a badass, you're probably qualified to use whatever weapon you freaking want to.

EdwardGordon

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be a real treat to be either him or Ashnard in Brawl.

They are both extremly powerful characters and I would prefer one of them if I had to choose between them and Roy.

Not bashing Roy, I was decent with him, and liked the character, I would just like Black Knight better. Though, we seem to be having an abundance of sword characters in Brawl. (Link...MetaKnight....Ike.... Pit sort of.... Marth or Roy....)

IllidR

Smash Champion
Hmmm, I never played a FE in wich black night featured, but wouldn't it be interesting if his down B made him switch weapons between sword, axe, and spear? each one with diferent attributes and making the other b moves have diferent hitboxes and knockbacks.

I assume Black Knight only used a sword on the games he apeared in, but when you're such a badass, you're probably qualified to use whatever weapon you freaking want to.
Well i really wouldn't like him switching weapons, Alondite was his sword and it would be wierd to see him not wielding that massive thing. Although, as someone said before he could have moves which incorporate his spear which he used at times.

EdwardGordon said:
think it would be a real treat to be either him or Ashnard in Brawl.

They are both extremly powerful characters and I would prefer one of them if I had to choose between them and Roy.

Not bashing Roy, I was decent with him, and liked the character, I would just like Black Knight better. Though, we seem to be having an abundance of sword characters in Brawl. (Link...MetaKnight....Ike.... Pit sort of.... Marth or Roy....)
Well I think, like I've said before, Black Knight would make a better character than Ashnard because Ashnard is suited to be a boss, more powerful and using his dragon. And why would anyone want Roy in the game? Sorry to Roy fans. He was used to promote the new Fire Emblem game and he was a clone, don't see why he should return. And an abundance of sword characters isn't really an argument, because isn't there an abundance of characters who use do unarmed melee attacks (kicks, punches, headslams)?

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
And an abundance of sword characters isn't really an argument, because isn't there an abundance of characters who use do unarmed melee attacks (kicks, punches, headslams)?
Thats tru, i dont even see why ppl make that arguement.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Well, personally i'm just biased against swords because, as far as hero's weapons go, they're massively overused. Everyone and their poodle has a sword. I'd much more like to see an axe wielding character in melee, but that is just my opinion.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Well, personally i'm just biased against swords because, as far as hero's weapons go, they're massively overused. Everyone and their poodle has a sword. I'd much more like to see an axe wielding character in melee, but that is just my opinion.
Go back to the Hector thread then! **Hissss!!**:p

It's true a sword is very overused in games, but Brawl needs a heavy sword user. Bring the Black Knight!

BLACK KNIGHT FOR BRAWL!

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Go back to the Hector thread then! **Hissss!!**:p
Never!... mainly because i dont feel like searching for it trough the pages.

In any case, as much as I may dislike swords, I would still play as Black Knight, if he made it in, because I absolutely have to master every heavy character ever. (Yes I main bowser, with DK when I feel goofy and Ganondorf when I'm angry and just want to punch someone into paste in a berserker blind rage.)

IllidR

Smash Champion
Never!... mainly because i dont feel like searching for it trough the pages.

In any case, as much as I may dislike swords, I would still play as Black Knight, if he made it in, because I absolutely have to master every heavy character ever. (Yes I main bowser and DK)
Well Bowser and DK will probably be better this time around so cheers! And i have to admit an axe-wielder in Brawl would be pretty amazing. But I'd rather Black Knight in because i have every intention of maining him.

BLACK KNIGHT FOR BRAWL!

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Oh, another thing too!, havent you noticed that, the more heroic and bigger a role a swordman has in a game, the less armor they wear? it's standard to the point of annoying.

Black Knight would be interesting on the sense of "I'm wearing REAL protection you shoulderpad bugger (to Ike) so off you go *smashes into oblivion*"

IllidR

Smash Champion
Oh, another thing too!, havent you noticed that, the more heroic and bigger a role a swordman has in a game, the less armor they wear? it's standard to the point of annoying.

Black Knight would be interesting on the sense of "I'm wearing REAL protection you shoulderpad bugger (to Ike) so off you go *smashes into oblivion*"
Ya I have noticed that, but usually baddies are the exact opposite. The more villainous they are the more armor they get.

BLACK KNIGHT FOR BRAWL!

Edit: 666 posts on Black Knight! The devil!

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
"Well, personally i'm just biased against swords because, as far as hero's weapons go, they're massively overused. Everyone and their poodle has a sword. I'd much more like to see an axe wielding character in melee, but that is just my opinion. "So what? just because they use a sword doesn't mean they can't different."OMG LYNDIS WOULD SO BE A CLONE OF THE BLACK KNIGHT BECAUSE SHE USE SWORD"That's such a dumb argument.

IllidR

Smash Champion
"Well, personally i'm just biased against swords because, as far as hero's weapons go, they're massively overused. Everyone and their poodle has a sword. I'd much more like to see an axe wielding character in melee, but that is just my opinion. "So what? just because they use a sword doesn't mean they can't different."OMG LYNDIS WOULD SO BE A CLONE OF THE BLACK KNIGHT BECAUSE SHE USE SWORD"That's such a dumb argument.
Lyndis would be a clone of Black Knight.. don't even try mang. Just kidding just kidding.

Sword users can be completely different play styles not just because of the sword but because of their weight, and different types of swings. For example a vertical swipe would probably be more powerful and cover more ground than a horizontal one but a horizontal would be much faster.

BLACK KNIGHT FOR BRAWL!

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Argument? excuse me but i'm stating my opinion, not bashing Black Knight, claiming he would be a clone or anybody, or even saying he shouldnt be in, I have even stated my intent to play him and try to master him.

Seems to me you are fed up with people saying this line as an argument, and I agree with you, Kirby Knight, it's just an opinion, not some absolute fact of truth about the universe that makes or breaks a character's chance into the rooster.

GenG

Smash Lord
There's no use on restricting swords, because sword type, character's body and style is what really counts. I think Hector wouldn't be so much different from Ike, despite wielding different weapons, just because Ike uses his sword like an axe.

Hong

The Strongest
I feel that way too. Ike and Hector are both just the Mercenary/Hero class with a Lord title slapped onto them. At least Black Knight's larger mass and more brutal style of swordplay would bring something different.

Hong

The Strongest
Doesn't BK kinda remind u of the armored knights in Twilight Princess?
Darknut/Iron Knuckles?

Iron Knuckle:

Black Knight:

The only similarity is they're heavily armoured, but that's kind of vague. The armour designs are too different, so no. :p

Top Bottom