• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
As Ramses said, we've got Mr.r who plays a lot on reaction so he grabs > downthrow > jabcancel grabs again. Btw does fair stop nades effectively? itwould make sense but I haven't seen any charizard doing this a lot in the match up.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Nah, you can avoid it with a perfectly timed getup/getup attack, which isn't too hard as Mr R has a standard to read pattern when techchasing, you just need to get used to the fact that you have to outread him, haha.

Honestly, I'd rather go Ivy than Chari in the mu, and if I look at how early Squirtle dies, sometimes I feel like Ivy has an easier time, heh. Might just be that my Ivy is probably my best pokemon, but the point is that Charizard sucks in this MU : (

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
imma teach you proper charizard next tournament then :) I'll make you main this m.fo. The thing I like about ivy is her razor leaf exploding the nades when snake is holding them.

T-block

B2B TST
Learn to be competent with Ivysaur?

If you're super desperate, just switch and take the hit. If you're already at high percents and Charizard will just get killed, then just let Ivysaur die.

Otherwise, b-throw, f-air, dash attack are all fairly high knockback moves that are reasonable to land.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
I prefer to let Squirtle die so he is fresh, also Squirtle is really really good at holding stocks since he is really good not getting hit.

But I often will switch to Ivy at high percents, it is fairly player and character dependant for me though.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
the better charizard does and the worse ivysaur does, the more likely i will switch squirtle out instead of letting him die

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Is Ivysaur really that bad? At least I do better with Ivy than Zard. So what else does Ivy have other than a bad recovery?

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Idk i think it's pretty easy to kill as ivy compared to other characters in the cast. She has dash attack, fair, and f-smash. You can also ledgeguard with her instant tether but it only works on some characters.

T-block

B2B TST
Ivy has insane KO power, but it can sometimes be difficult to land her KO moves. She also has low aerial mobility, and has a lot of trouble when the opponent gets into close range, which is really bad when you get edgeguarded that easily.

PSI.kick, watching videos is probably the best piece of advice I can give. Squirtle's pretty easy to learn just by watching good players and trying some of the things they do. Whether you want to be more grounded or aerial depends on your opponent, among other things. There's no simple answer to that question.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Imo, Ivy is a good for baiting. Just use razorleaf, forcing your opponent to come to you and then do what you can.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
just half-approach with rar sh bair, it seems pretty good at pressuring. then combine it with razor leaf and dtilt and you can get through their shield without getting too close, seems like it should work.
Also is there another AT thread or are the 3 at's for zard and ivy the only ones you guys have... the first post in there had a lot of updates that i couldn't find in the thread at all.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Just thought I'd ask, what are popular counterpick stages for trainer? Are there any dramatic stages that can apply in most matchups? Or is it mostly personal preferance? Planning to use mostly trainer at the next tournament I attend, so I'll probably ask a question or two every now and then.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Stage counterpicking is a hard topic, in theory most pt's like brinstar but me for example hate the place and even switch characters when fighting there. Ps1 could be an option, but neutrals like Sv, bf do good to.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Just thought I'd ask, what are popular counterpick stages for trainer? Are there any dramatic stages that can apply in most matchups? Or is it mostly personal preferance? Planning to use mostly trainer at the next tournament I attend, so I'll probably ask a question or two every now and then.
Everybody takes me to Frigate Orpheon, and I -love- that level. Free Zero Switch every time the stage flips, and the platforms help your mediocre recovery.

Rainbow Cruise is a personal favorite for me. Perpetual Zero Switch (though it's not -that- important there, since it's easy to camp when you need to), walls for silliness (Squirtle's grab-release stuff can be absolutely dumb here, as well as simple locks like F-Tilt and jab), and little worry about recovering (so long as you're really careful about where you choose to fight).

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Those stages are very, very interesting Reflex. Rainbow, I've NEVER even thought about going there, I guess picking the stage alone is a mind****. I'm just worried that Ivy can't even keep up with the stage.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
As an aside, if you Bullet Seed someone while on the carpet, they can potentially take a -lot- of damage.

T-block

B2B TST
Smashville and be good if you need Baton Passing.

My favourite is Pictochat - it also provides many opportunities for Baton Passing, it's got shorter sides to help alleviate our worse-than-average recoveries, and the we can take advantage of the damaging hazards with Squirtle/Charizard's strong grab game.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Liking the idea of Picto. Going to make sure I try that out. Frigate seems a bit like a double edge sword, haha. But I can see it working well in some matchups. Rainbow Cruise is an interesting idea too that I'll definitely be trying.

How do you all like Delfino? I've become really, really comfortable on it from Olimar, but I wasn't sure how well it would be for PT.

Top Bottom