• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
oh, i think you have to have tap jump off or something

toby do you use some other method now?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
It's cool you guys were talking about this. I have some info.

If you really hate tap jumping, try this:

Do the shellshift, and just as you're coming out of the animation, tap X or Y and slide your thumb down to A VERY FAST at the same time you tap Up.

This is how I've been performing the technique, since it's basically just an elaborate jump cancelled up smash anyway.

Toby.

Smash Master
My way is the standard way. I just do the pivot and slide my thumb up in the same movement. The important thing to realise is that you don't have to tap backwards to do the pivot. A slight backwards movement is enough, and keeping the initial pivot input small makes sliding from back to up quicker and more fluid.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
oh i see

and yeah i just press y/a with my fat thumb at the same time, so i basically only do two inputs, along with stick back at 45.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
with squirtle, just weave around the grenades and use your water gun occasionally to mess the explosives up with potentially hilarious results. then just be smart about picking your seams against snake. remember that your jab is faster than his tilts and jabs, and can clash with some of them. you can easily punish his tilts with aerials if you jump around outside his tilt range and you bait them well. grabs put snake in terrible positions. and once you do succeed in setting them off their feet or off stage, take advantage and rack up damage. squirtle should go even or have a slight advantage in this matchup.

with ivysaur it is a little tricky because a smart approach is much more effective than camping for snake but if the snake is really just tossing grenades and DACUS, razor leaf destroys all grenades, particularly the ones that snake is holding. if the snake is smart, he'll just start powershielding the leaves and closing in on you with tilts. time your own tilts well as they are about equivalent in range, get him off stage, use bullet seed setups to rack up awesome damage. your throws are very effective for this.

charizard gets kinda screwed at first. be patient. powershield stuff, dash around. look for grab opportunities and get him off the ground or off stage. getting into flamethrower range is good, it'll block grenades before they get to you but you need to read the snake well in order to use ft. fair is kind of funny, it'll blow up grenades safely if you hit with the dumb no knockback part.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Razor leaf, flame thrower, and water gun all explode/stop snake's explosives, so he can't play a campy game here. I really love this matchup because it is one where Ivy can do well. Snake is heavy, and BS will rack up damage fast. Razor leaf explodes his grenades, and he can't mortar slide to you if you razor leaf towards him every so often. Your tilts are barely larger than his, but its enough. Bair is too good here, but it generally is. Nair to BS if you can, this is a nice match. Squirtle of course is not threatened by campy snake, because you avoid everything easily. Dance around him with aerials, and juggle him in the air. Charizard is fun, space his tilts on the ground and shield his nades. Use your grab to get him offstage, and then force him to Up-b, and land a spike/grab to gimp.

Overall, I think snake can't camp well here, and PT can deal with him if he does. ;} hope that helps.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
ivysaur's air speed is ****ING TERRIBLE

olimar's, on the other hand, is not

so proper DI helps olimar a lot more than ivysaur because he isn't in a position where he HAS to tether anyway

(along with the fact that he has super armor whenever he wants)

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah it's all about the horizontal air mobility. You don't have to send Ivysaur very far to force a tether, while Olimar can be sent further. As far as options off the edge, Razor Leaf and b-air are a lot better than relying on a purple pikmin, but Razor Leaf is pretty easy to get around, and b-air requires that you be pretty close to the edge.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
And that video is really old now. Seems like most of the people in that video aren't active anymore.
Yeah, and most likely we would have Reflex Typh, IRL and some other guy in the video.

I nominate Cyphus of Louisiana. He recently picked him up and when I played him, he had the PT basics, plus with his natural skill he quite the contender, and he is one of our top players.

I forget if it was his PT I almost 3 stocked, maybe that was some other character he used. Regardless he wont the best majority of out dittos. Looks like if he keeps this up, Louisiana will get some PT spotlight and maybe even see a Cyphus vs Reflex match.

Well, it looks like I may be able to go to Hobo 17. If you see a PT getting *****, then you know its me <.<.

I should post some online matches to get some critque, ones that have not much lag anyway.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Well, it looks like I may be able to go to Hobo 17. If you see a PT getting *****, then you know its me <.<.

I should post some online matches to get some critque, ones that have not much lag anyway.
Bummer, I'm not gonna be able to make that HOBO. I'll be back in Texas around the end of August, though, so I'll be going to HOBO 18.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What makes Ivysaur so gimpable besides the tether recovery? She seems to have more options then Olimar for getting people off the ledge...
Among the slowest horizontal air speeds in the game, and Ivysaur doesn't have a "foolproof" aerial like a lot of characters. F-Air is slow and laggy afterwards, D-Air leaves you really open, U-Air makes you fastfall, N-Air doesn't have much range, Bullet Seed will make you fall for days.

One thing that most people don't realize is that using Razor Leaf away from the ledge allows you to B-Air on the way to the stage, which is usually much more useful than a timed Razor Leaf.

Vermy

Smash Champion
I think a PT boards collective combo vid would be better. Shows our advancements as a collective. Plus, then no one feels left out =3

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I think a PT boards collective combo vid would be better. Shows our advancements as a collective. Plus, then no one feels left out =3
well as long as I dont have recording equipment, I can't do anything. Besides, I don't have any videos worth a dime to contribute. I have no wifi so even if I did have some good vids, I sure as hell wouldn't be able to send them to anyone. Best I can do is try to make the quality a best visible as I can via my webcam which majority of the time does me little justice. :(

But I'm not good enough anyway so I dont care that I wont be able to contribute. However I do like your idea for a combo video for the PT boards as a whole.

Idk, I'll see what I can do. I have close to $50 in cash now, maybe I can blow it off on recording equipment, I just have to shop around. Or wait till my b-day in july for money then go blow it off on recording stuff.

Vermy

Smash Champion
I think we plan out a vid and aim to "release" it in about 4 months. That way as many people as possible have time to get their hands on/make some bad&ss PT footage. Limit everyone to X amount of time/"combo moments".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hLG8k42mLA
Ike boards posted this vid a few months back and i liked the idea alot. Shows playstyles from all over the world. I know myself and Toby would love to give our Aussie Pokemanz some rep. ^_^

I'd be glad to help out with the assembly of this if it goes ahead. =)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Well I'm just going to go hide my $45 somewhere that only I know where it is then go shopping somewhere for recording stuff. If I managed to do that I could email whoever is putting this together my video clips.

Also LA is putting together a combo video showing(I'm assuming our best players) skills. So it wouldn't be a half bad idea for the PT boards to do the same :)

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
I'd be willing to help. I know I'm new and everything but I'm actually a film student and have quite a bit of experience with editing and such. I've made a few Halo 3 montaages, and have a good grasp on that kind of stuff. I also have a capture card.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'll throw my name in the hat for editing as well. I work as an editor and cameraman at a TV station and am an award-winning film student. I have both a capture card and Avid Media Composer. I've been editing on Avid for four years now.

So if everyone is looking for a combo video that both showcases our battling, I promise it will be hands-down the best-looking combo video on this site.

T-block

B2B TST
Heh...this sounds like fun... I'd offer to edit, but I'm pretty newb at it and sounds like we've got some really experienced people here. Hopefully there's room for some of my footage then ;D

Bomber you could still transfer your replays to an SD card, then e-mail the replays themselves and someone could record it for you.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Heh...this sounds like fun... I'd offer to edit, but I'm pretty newb at it and sounds like we've got some really experienced people here. Hopefully there's room for some of my footage then ;D

Bomber you could still transfer your replays to an SD card, then e-mail the replays themselves and someone could record it for you.
I have like 3 SD cards, and only one is compatible with my wii and it holds little. Plus, When I have put it into my laptop I can never get anything out of it so I can't extract anything, unless you have an idea of how I could possibly get that stuff out of the SD card.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
If I'm a technical falco main and I wan tto pick up pokemon trainer who should i use first and who would i be best wtih?
Since Pokémon Trainer cycles through the three Pokémon, you will probably have to use all three Pokémon in almost all of your battles. So it´s better to not focus on one.

For example, no matter how good your Squirtle is, after he dies you autoswitch to Ivysaur and if your Ivysaur and Charizard sucks then prepare to give away a free stock for your opponent. That´s what I mean.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Since Pokémon Trainer cycles through the three Pokémon, you will probably have to use all three Pokémon in almost all of your battles. So it´s better to not focus on one.

For example, no matter how good your Squirtle is, after he dies you autoswitch to Ivysaur and if your Ivysaur and Charizard sucks then prepare to give away a free stock for your opponent. That´s what I mean.
Or if you are like me and your Squirtle and Ivy make a nearly good battery, then your Charizard will be kinda bad.

T-block

B2B TST
Real Pokemon trainers treat all of their pokemon equally and win through the power of love

Bomber there are adapters you can use to connect to your laptop through a USB port if your laptop doesn't have an SD card slot. I would recommend just buying a microSD that comes with a USB adapter and an SD adapter, and a lot of them do. A 2GB one isn't too expensive, and it can hold a lot of replays.

Miles.

Smash Champion
If I'm a technical falco main and I wan tto pick up pokemon trainer who should i use first and who would i be best wtih?
Zhu are you still in nor cal? This is. Miles. Let me train you pt is hella technical. The backroom just discovered a new AT that makes pt broken. Plus squirtle can moonwalk and superwave dash.

Top Bottom