• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Bobby James

Smash Rookie
in like 90% of my fights i just skip ivy altogether, and seem to do significantly better.

but is this more harmful in the long run? does a pro level PT need ivy?

DemonFart

Smash Lord
in like 90% of my fights i just skip ivy altogether, and seem to do significantly better.

Being good with all 3 gives you an advantage.

Ivy may seem bad but once you get good with her/him, It will help you.

Skipping Ivy to me seems like a bad thing.

You're not using PT to his limit.

:094:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
often you are just better maximizing the time of the other two, because ivysaur often has the worst matchup.

KRiMz0N

Smash Journeyman
my feet are draggin down on this dusty old road
doesn't squirtle have crazy di ability during the charging of water gun?

also i use charizard's dsmash as a gtfo move. is there any other move i should use? i used to auto aerial nairs but now my thumb just auto-taps cstick down in such situations

edit: yeah, using ivy takes patience, and when you do use him he's excellent

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
You should use OOS SH Nair instead as a GTFO move.
Try and learn to use it perfectly.

Dsmash has a unwanting ending lag.

Vermy

Smash Champion
And Charzilla's nair autocancels on land. Its kinda like Ikes, except for the aforementioned flame sweetspot. I've been using it a lot more lately as I've been training vs a hella agressive player with like 6 mains....he's top 12 in my state and hasn't figured out how to cp character vs my PT lol. So far there's been no strong advantage over me, and I'm now fighting on even par with him.
He mains Falco, MK, D3, Diddy, Olimar, Sonic and Donkey Kong. Matchup on this thread has helped a HEAP.

For once, I am in need of assistance...
What's the best way to fight Iceys and a Cape-happy Mario?
Also, I struggle with a TLink main. He has a perfect projectile game, but panics and spams usmash once you get close. Problem being, I take a good 30% before I can get anywhere near him. Pointers?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
i dont fight ICEE's but the few people online who have bothered to go a few rounds with me, I've found you gotta keep the pressure on by keping them separated. go after Nana but still watch your back, attack po if he comes near you then continue until nan is either far enough away fro you to take care of Po or she is killed.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Whenever you get the chance to seperate them, go for it. They are probaly Top 5 if it was not for their seperability. Do not get grabbed lol. Try and gimp nana and keep them seperated, and you can get the upper hand.

A cape happy Mario as in he spams it, or he trys to put pressure on?

You need to practice Power Shielding, as it is ESSENTIAL you do against Toon Link. If he spams Upsmash, then punish. DO NOT DO THIS MATCH ON WIFI! I would feel sorry for you going through that hell <_<.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
well I went against SasukeBowser online, we didnt really have any lag, and he went IC and infinite grabbed the **** out of me for like 5 minutes.

KRiMz0N

Smash Journeyman
my feet are draggin down on this dusty old road
Also, I struggle with a TLink main. He has a perfect projectile game, but panics and spams usmash once you get close. Problem being, I take a good 30% before I can get anywhere near him. Pointers?
crawl at him with squirtle or ivy, super armor toward him with squirtle. the only thing i can think of with charizard is to glide at him but its kind of slow

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Fighting TL, just SHAD and approach. Then use Ivy's sexy b-air to approach. If you aren't using Ivy, you obviously aren't playing the game right.

Miles.

Smash Champion

that is the way to go. just skip ivy most of the time. there are some matchups though that
ivysuar destroys so you should definately learn those and save ivy for then. ivy is good against the fattys like snake and dk. bulletseed is too good against them.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah definitely. if ivysaur doesn't have a pretty good matchup with the character (which are less common than the bad ones), then the other two are probably going to be more effective. unless squirtle gets grab released. otherwise, squirizard is going to be more effective than using ivy for any extended period of time.

unless for some reason ivysaur is your best pokemon

in which case you really should consider working on the other two lol

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
crawl at him with squirtle or ivy, super armor toward him with squirtle. the only thing i can think of with charizard is to glide at him but its kind of slow
This is late, but Charizard's Flamethrower, not matter how small, cancels the arrows and boomerang.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Thx for the advice guys. =)
Actually helped alot.

I'm really loving Ivy atm. She's been my weak link, but lately she does more than usual...no idea why. And my Charizard has gone downhill a little. >_<
I tend to panic and rock spam. Has good results, but not good enough. Ill become predictable soon enough.

Just opinions,
What are each pokemons best approaches?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
With Charizard, I usually go for the grab first thing or act like I'm about to go for the grab and use Flamethrower followed by a grab instead. If there's platforms and I see the enemy go up, I usually approach with fair and sometimes nair or Rock Smash. Sometimes if you fast fall Charizard's aerials, it sets him up nicely for an ftilt. Then if I just want the enemy to back off me, I usually go with upsmash.

With Squirtle, I start off Shell Shifting to see how the enemy reacts. Then I'll go with fair, bair, or nair or I'll go for the grab.

With Ivysaur, I usually throw Razor Leaf once to see how the opponent reacts. If they shield, I'll usually go for a grab. Most times I go for a nair, though, followed by utilt or ftilt; if the enemy is a heavy, I'll aim to fastfall nair to a Bullet Seed. Sometimes I catch the enemy off-guard on a stage with platforms, and Ivysaur can actually land a surprise KO with nair to upsmash. Of course if the enemy is behind Ivysaur, bair wall for the win.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
shell shifting has never been my forte, short hopz is where itz at.

Short hop + aerials with squirtle = mass **** and destruction

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
shell shifting has never been my forte, short hopz is where itz at.

Short hop + aerials with squirtle = mass **** and destruction
I tend to constantly Shell Shift and mindgame people with Squirtle. I just think that there's a lot left to be developed with Shell Shifting, and it's really messed up some really good Smashers I've fought. It makes Squirtle much easier to KO if you don't know what you're doing, but the mindgame possibilities are just too mind-boggling to ignore. We know an aggressive Squirtle is straight-up pwnage thanks to Reflex. I'd like to see an already awesome Squirtle compliment his aerials with Shell Shifting mindgames.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
True, true, shell shifting has alot of mind game potential, not to mention with hydroplaning, theres alot of options so Squirtle can be unpredictable however there are some instances if you have an experienced player who gets to the point where they are very analytical in situations and can tell most likely what you will do with shell shifting, you will get screwed, but those chances are slim.

delicious!

Smash Rookie
hey guys i have a pretty basic question...i know its known as common sense but when i play my friends falco with pt, how should i DI out of his chain grab?

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
What things should I instinctively react to.
Like, should I automatically Jab or SH Dair OOS with Squirtle?
Do I automatically Nair or Bair oos with Ivy?
Do I automaically pivot grab with Charizard while the oppenent in the air?

I am asking these questions because sometimes I do not act "fast" enough.

Toby.

Smash Master
You shouldn't be doing those things instinctively, you should choose your options based on your opponent. Playing by prediction rather than reaction will make you smarter, better at reading your opponents, and therefore more effective.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Yep, playing prediction is smart. You get that down then you can react faster so you won't have to rely on last minute actions which in the long run could screw you over.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
THere isnt a ask a simple question,get a simple answer thred, so I guess I will just ask here.

I was watching Zeta video on hydroshifting (or whatever you wanna call it.) and about 20 seconds into the video, he does the usmash without even seeming to go into his shell or shell shift at all. Is there a tutorial on how to do this specific attack? I already no how to slide and charge the usmash out of the shift but I have to be in my shell before I do it.... Am I doing it wrong? Check out the vid if you dont know what im talking about.

Thanks in advance

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
THere isnt a ask a simple question,get a simple answer thred, so I guess I will just ask here.

I was watching Zeta video on hydroshifting (or whatever you wanna call it.) and about 20 seconds into the video, he does the usmash without even seeming to go into his shell or shell shift at all. Is there a tutorial on how to do this specific attack? I already no how to slide and charge the usmash out of the shift but I have to be in my shell before I do it.... Am I doing it wrong? Check out the vid if you dont know what im talking about.

Thanks in advance
You can hydroplane without the animation of going into the shell, actually. It's a relatively common occurrence.

You might also look into the insta-hydroplane. Essentially, Squirtle can hydroplane without going into his shellshift animation at all now. Essentially, run in one direction, then VERY QUICKLY move the analog stick back and perform a half-circle from up to forward and press A. Squirtle will take off like a bolt and shoot across the level with an up smash. Although the principle is very different, the effect is much the same as a DACUS for other characters.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
You can hydroplane without the animation of going into the shell, actually. It's a relatively common occurrence.

You might also look into the insta-hydroplane. Essentially, Squirtle can hydroplane without going into his shellshift animation at all now. Essentially, run in one direction, then VERY QUICKLY move the analog stick back and perform a half-circle from up to forward and press A. Squirtle will take off like a bolt and shoot across the level with an up smash. Although the principle is very different, the effect is much the same as a DACUS for other characters.
do you still have to have tap jump on...I just learned how to hydro without it on... :(

Id prefer tap jump to be off as I can tilt better. Also is there vid or anything to help with this? seems very difficult...

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I use tap jump all the time. Up-tilting with it is really a matter of control and feel. It's pretty much something you just have to get used to.

Not a very satisfying answer, I know, but it's something.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
I use tap jump all the time. Up-tilting with it is really a matter of control and feel. It's pretty much something you just have to get used to.

Not a very satisfying answer, I know, but it's something.
well I seem to keep ending up in the air when I try to do it... by it I mean the insta hydro thingy as well as the utilt...

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
With tilting, it's because you're pushing up too hard. You barely need to apply any pressure at all in order to up tilt.

If you're jumping during [insta-]hydroplane, it's because your timing is off, usually because you're doing the motion too slow (especially for the IHP.

First, learn how to do a regular hydroplane, because there are more variable applications at your disposal when you get it down. Practice developing it into a smooth, comfortable motion. Don't up smash TOO fast, or you'll barely move at all (although this can also be good for mindgames if they're EXPECTING a full hydroplane). It's all in reading the motion.

After learning the regular one, you should have a lot better of a feel for the instant one. Don't look for any special "clue" animations for the instant one, because there aren't any. Just run, then quickly slide the controller for back (the opposite direction of your run) , to up to forward as you hit the A button. The entire motion should take about a quarter of a second, if that.

For most people, it's WAY easier to IHP in one direction than another. I don't know why this is, but it's also something to bear in mind.

Hope that helps!

Tesh

Smash Hero
If someone is recovering low against squirtle, is it safe to try to watergun them under the stage. As in Jumping off the stage facing backwards or reversing water gun(if u can, i dont know) to push them all the way under the lip on stages like FD and miss their recoveries.

For bullet seed, are there any good ways of leading into it without using the first "pop up" hit. Along the lines of sliding or landing the very middle of ivysaur on someone to trap them longer.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
I have trouble dealing with Olimars and Metaknights. I have no matchup experience against them, specially Olimar.

I keep trying to Jump over the pikmin camping and get Upsmashed <_<.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
If someone is recovering low against squirtle, is it safe to try to watergun them under the stage. As in Jumping off the stage facing backwards or reversing water gun(if u can, i dont know) to push them all the way under the lip on stages like FD and miss their recoveries.
Definitely. A lot of Squirtle players enjoy this technique.

For bullet seed, are there any good ways of leading into it without using the first "pop up" hit. Along the lines of sliding or landing the very middle of ivysaur on someone to trap them longer.
Neutral air is the most common lead-in for this move nowadays. It usually doesn't rely on the first hit in order to get the full effects of the move.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
uthrow and dthrow work for the bullet seed if you can read their DI right. if they land on a platform above you, read their tech and punish with a bullet seed.

Toby.

Smash Master
I prefer to punish with uair, but whatevs. It can be fun to jump up onto the platform as they tech and bullet seed, because often the popup will catch them wherever they go. Of course Tesh was asking for ways to use it without the popup...meh

Top Bottom