• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Smash Bros. Theme Song (Poll)

Which Smash Bros. game has the best theme song?

• Super Smash Bros. 64

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Votes: 34 54.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 14 22.2%

• Total voters

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So my brother and I got into a surprisingly long debate over which of the five Smash games had the best theme song. I enjoyed it, and wanted to bring it here to get the Smashboards community to weigh in on the same question.

Which Smash Bros. game had the best theme song? This is the general theme, not any one specific version of it. We can probably all hum the theme of each individual one by now. (At least, I know I can.)

You can only pick one. Choose wisely!

SMASH 64

MELEE

BRAWL

SMASH 4

ULTIMATE

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Brawl by a mile. 'Epic Latin choir' can be hit or miss, but here it's very much hit.

Melee's is probably runner up (though it's probably helped by its association with the opening cinematic - something I really hope they do with Ultimate).

Not keen on Ultimate's theme tbh: feels too repetitive.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Brawl, it's hardly a competition. I don't any of the other themes give a sense of the game better than it. Though Ultimate also has a pretty good one.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Can we have links to each of the theme songs?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Melee purely because of the cinematic and SUPER SMASH BROS MAY LAAAAAAAY

Though I do think Brawl is a better song, hype notwithstanding

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, 4, and Ultimate are all about the same for me, but I voted for 3DS/Wii U just cuz of the heavy rock sound they rip with. Each one is a great in it's own way though.

64s is fun with the weird concept of Nintendo characters fighting each other, and the announcer is fantastic.
Melee does a good job building up the epicness while still mixing a lot of sounds from the franchises.
Brawl is probably the best at perfectly matching a concise tone and having great orchestration.
Sm4sh is more about energy and intensity and feeling like a game instead of tighter narrative theme.
And Ultimate is fantastic at capturing pieces of everything before it and feeling like it represents the whole series, especially the later half.

Also, I'd LOVE for them to revisit these themes for Ultimate so we have fresh awesome-quality

Crystanium

Smash Hero
There's a certain charm about the original Super Smash Bros. theme that the others lack. I'm not sure how to put it. In the order of greatest to least:

1. SSB64
  2. SSB4
  3. SSBU
  4. SSBB
  5. SSBM

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I am genuinely surprised by the lack of votes for Melee and Smash 4.

I love polls.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
In order of preference

Brawl
Ultimate
Smash 4
Melee

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just a question, why does the OP have Final Destination (Brawl) in it instead of the actual main theme?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Yeah I was going to say...cause the one the OP has for Brawl I would NOT vote for, and I love the Brawl's (real) main theme. The one Tougon posted. I feel like, and maybe I'm reaching, the one on the OP would sway votes away from Brawl, cause if that's the one I have to vote for, I wouldn't.

Funnily, I think I like Melee's more. As much as I like the Brawl Theme (the actual intro movie one...in Tougon's post), I don't feel Smash is a franchise that needs over the top orchestra and vocals and a choir. This is Nintendo All-Stars Chaos-Party Fighters, not Final Fantasy. I do like Brawls, but Melee edges it out for fitting the theme of these games better.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Just a question, why does the OP have Final Destination (Brawl) in it instead of the actual main theme?

Whoops. I'll fix it. I did a quick Youtube search for each of them.

Also realized I put the 30min looped version of Melee's.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Brawl. Easy. I love epic choir songs, and Brawl absolutely nails it. It also has the advantage of being associated with The Subspace Emissary, which personally holds a very special place in my heart.

However, I do love Ultimate’s theme. Some people say it’s a little lackluster and repetitive compared to previous themes, but I find it really nice. It’s really grand, without being over the top like Smash 4. Plus, similar to Brawl, it being associated with “Everyone Is Here!” is a huge boon.

Brawl is still better tho.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Ironically, I like the FInal Destination rendition of the Brawl theme way more than the regular theme. Don't get me wrong, it sounds epic and it's a good song, but to me it didn't fit Smash as much as other themes.

Melee and Smash 4 are the ones that really tug at me. Melee I will always associate with the first time I saw that intro and then went into the main menu, and it never stops feeling epic. Not to mention the hundreds of times I listened to the orchestra rendition from that Nintendo Power CD. The song is burned into my DNA.

Smash 4 ellicits hype in that it reminds me of the announce trailer for Smash 4 which opened with the logos of all these games, and it also reminds me of the long hype and build up that game had which honestly remains a rich memory for me.

Smash 64 is one I struggle to remember sometimes. And then Ultimate's theme reminds me of the hype "Everyone is Here!" moment, but it does feel a bit too repetitive for its own good.

honorable mention: melee's second theme (the one from the opening) is also sheer beauty, and to this day I still go on youtube to watch the reveal of that game and it moves me.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
While I am camp "Melee is a good game but too overrated by the competitive scene", I voted for Melee's theme. Brawl's may have been epic with all the latin choir, but maybe it is just me, but it felt pretentious and even too loud at times. It showcases the issues I have with Brawl overall; it tries so hard to be this really big and serious gaming experience that feels ridiculous at times.

Smash 4 had a pretty good theme, but I've heard it say that it sounds like a reject sports theme, like the kind of jingle you would hear before the broadcast of a sporting event. But oddly for Smash 4 it worked; the game was more lighthearted and colorful but still very action packed so it worked.

Ultimate I just associate with hype. Just listening to it by itself it makes me have a flashback of how all the characters made it in...Except now thanks to leakers on YouTube I can't hear the first few notes of it without rolling my eyes so hard I started talking to the voices in my head.

Melee, though, is perfection. It has what I like to call the "Nintendo" sound; it's epic enough that you feel hyped and ready to do battle yet whimsical and fun enough to make you say "this will be quite an eccentric adventure". And I love how every element of it is presented according to the characters and action on screen, like when we see the Ice Climbers and we hear a piccolo playing.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Defiantly Smash Brawl has the best music. Not just theme songs, which by the way is inaccurately portrayed as the Final Destination soundtrack on this thread, but music in general was best done in that game.

Smash Melee is the runner up, while Smash 64 and Smash 4 are tied for worst theme songs in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Brawl and Melee are tied for having the best music in the series, although I loved Smash 4's theme song. I feel like Ultimate's theme is underwhelming.

D

Deleted member

Brawl is the best and im afraid their will not be another theme like it. But Smash Ultimate's theme is rubbing shoulders with brawl for me tbh.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
My gut reaction was to vote Ultimate so I did, but then I thought about it and remembered that Brawl's soundtrack is actually ridiculous. Idk how to change my vote.

osby

Smash Obsessed
My gut reaction was to vote Ultimate so I did, but then I thought about it and remembered that Brawl's soundtrack is actually ridiculous. Idk how to change my vote.
You can't do it anymore. It seems the pool is closed. Brawl still won, though.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Brawl is the best one in my opinion but I’m also liking Ultimate’s theme as well.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
This is my list is order
1.brawl
2.melee
4.ultimate
5. Wii u

I think my top 3 will always be thier town tier list because there from such unique times of gaming

Top Bottom