• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Buy Demo Discussion - What do you think of Bowser in Smash 4?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Standing grab range looks slightly longer then in Brawl/Melee. Looks similar to standing Klaw range in Brawl. Excellent.

Good to see players interested in playing Bowser. Hope ya'll rep your respective regions.
If Lethal Trilogy still plays, I wanna see you bop him with Bowser again.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Played Bowser last Saturday and I gotta say, he absolutely feels better this time around. Can't wait for the new games!

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
He still plays.

Dunno who's gonna play when the game drops though. Just gotta wait and see.
I'll hafta see what happens when the time is right, but I'd love to pay another visit to you guys again someday. Hopefully when I've become a stronger player too.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I am also going to be a Bowser main in these titles. While he isn't perfect, he's no longer a pain to use. He's faster on top of being stronger. Although not faster by much. I look forward to cracking this game open and putting my selection cursor on the guy.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I am also going to be a Bowser main in these titles. While he isn't perfect, he's no longer a pain to use. He's faster on top of being stronger. Although not faster by much. I look forward to cracking this game open and putting my selection cursor on the King.
Fixed :awesome:

ImSpidey2Smash

Smash Rookie
I wasn't there but I'm certainly going to main Bowser. If his voice changes to Kenny James or something more traditional in the final product, I will be fully satisfied.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Did you guys see the video game bootcamp 3ds demostration? Bowser has some pretty good options. I came to this page and to all the characters threads that was in the demo And for some reason im liking Bowsers new changes the most Crouch cancel dash to other options? How many other characters can do that? I unknowingly hopped aboard the Bowser bandwagon

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Did you guys see the video game bootcamp 3ds demostration? Bowser has some pretty good options. I came to this page and to all the characters threads that was in the demo And for some reason im liking Bowsers new changes the most Crouch cancel dash to other options? How many other characters can do that? I unknowingly hopped aboard the Bowser bandwagon
His "crouch cancel" in Smash 4 doesn't look as useful as shield drop(Brawl). He can instantly attack, like all characters, after dropping shield.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
His "crouch cancel" in Smash 4 doesn't look as useful as shield drop(Brawl). He can instantly attack, like all characters, after dropping shield.
Could you cancel your dashes by crouching in brawl? Because if not where talking about to totally different things.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Could you cancel your dashes by crouching in brawl? Because if not where talking about to totally different things.
We're talking about the same thing.

But there doesn't seem to be any point in crouch cancels in this game since they don't reduce hitstun/knock back like in Melee and Shield Dropping is both safer, faster, and easier to use compared to CC'ing.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
We're talking about the same thing.

But there doesn't seem to be any point in crouch cancels in this game since they don't reduce hitstun/knock back like in Melee and Shield Dropping is both safer, faster, and easier to use compared to CC'ing.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eOEo0A7zVMU 1:40 im not talking about it in the tense of taking a hit and canceling the knock back with the crouch, But for movement options/setups & mind games.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eOEo0A7zVMU 1:40 im not talking about it in the tense of taking a hit and canceling the knock back with the crouch, But for movement options/setups & mind games.
Yeah, I got you.

My second point though is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvudMu-5kIU

1:30

Here in our very first trailer, notice how quickly Bowser can drop his shield and then Forward Smash, of all things.

I noticed the new "crouch cancel" takes at least a moment to execute.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Since jump canceling oos is still a thing, Fortress will probably still be our fastest option.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I have to admit I didn't use Fortress OoS once during the one demo game I played (I kept missing the B button entirely, ahaha), but from what I've seen it has a bit more ending lag when used on the ground and a bit less lag when used in the air. Wish I could've played more, but that's my gut reaction to watching all the Bowser Smash 4 videos I can find.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Yeah, I got you.

My second point though is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvudMu-5kIU

1:30

Here in our very first trailer, notice how quickly Bowser can drop his shield and then Forward Smash, of all things.

I noticed the new "crouch cancel" takes at least a moment to execute.
That was a legit shield but it look like mario had some time to shield also. look right before mario gets hit. he returns to neutral standing animation.

I think there both viable options of course. Cant abuse either because youll get punished if your opponent see it coming. There both too situational to compare, there was some lag on the crouch but the 3ds analog isn't exactly like the gamecube analog. This kind of discussion would be better for when the game comes out were we can test all this stuff with out any setbacks.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm really hoping that Fortress out of shield isn't so good that it overshadows every single option Bowser has OoS.

It's just a frustrating move to deal with cuz I always get hit by it.

Also jab.

Nerf jab.

And fair while we're at it.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
It's really nice to see Bowser get buffed... I'm happy. I hope he's still as big and menacing as ever!

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
So glad Bowser's gotten buffed so much. I've always loved using him, but now I can finally do it and not get questioned about it.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
So glad Bowser's gotten buffed so much. I've always loved using him, but now I can finally do it and not get questioned about it.
But the naysayers are the best part! Because it's so much better when you win. :shades:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
E3 2014 - Doom (Bowser) vs Keitaro (Mega Man) - S…: http://youtu.be/fZflqX7IuqU
E3 2014 - Doom (Bowser) vs CT Chibo (Samus) - SSBU: http://youtu.be/OD_ZnB8yJuA
E3 2014 - Doom (Bowser) vs Nintendo Rep (Zero Sui…: http://youtu.be/lL0F2BNCU2k

Singles Matches :D
This fills me with more hope than I've ever had for Bowser.

Watching him actually flow from one move to the next instead of lumbering around like a fat sack of crap brings me joy...

Too bad it took Namco ripping the game out of Sakurai's hands for the series to finally do justice for Bowser...

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Like it a lot more than his previous F-Throw.

Yeah, Bowser fights less like a fat sack of crap in this game and more like a massive, muscled turtle dragon should: he doesn't need two hands to throw his enemies, even.

I've noticed a lack of fortress use for spacing now, and previously, that was a pretty damn good tool for Bowser to earn himself some personal space. I know it's multihitting on the ground now, but is it THAT bad?

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Yeah, Bowser fights less like a fat sack of crap in this game and more like a massive, muscled turtle dragon should: he doesn't need two hands to throw his enemies, even.

I've noticed a lack of fortress use for spacing now, and previously, that was a pretty damn good tool for Bowser to earn himself some personal space. I know it's multihitting on the ground now, but is it THAT bad?
I saw it do 4% the other day, lmao.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I saw it do 4% the other day, lmao.
Wow, hmm... Though I'm less worried about the damage and more about the escape tool, we'll have to see...

I'd say that hopefully it means the remainder of Bowser's toolkit was buffed to the point where he doesn't need it as a crutch.

We got excited about Brawl and found that the rest of the cast had a better toolkit still. Hopefully, the Bowz will hold his own this time around.

The fact that he seems to have less landing lag and whatnot alone is encouraging. It suggests that someone is developing this game who actually understands how to balance heavy characters.

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Wow, hmm... Though I'm less worried about the damage and more about the escape tool, we'll have to see...

I'd say that hopefully it means the remainder of Bowser's toolkit was buffed to the point where he doesn't need it as a crutch.

We got excited about Brawl and found that the rest of the cast had a better toolkit still. Hopefully, the Bowz will hold his own this time around.

The fact that he seems to have less landing lag and whatnot alone is encouraging. It suggests that someone is developing this game who actually understands how to balance heavy characters.
Fortress appears to still be good, in fact it appears to have gotten a buff. It has some armor while it's active, and I really like the multi-hit. Kinda reminds me of a mini-nado in that it deals a bunch of weak hits then launches at the end while also trapping the opponent; It seems like a better punish overall in that aspect. However, I feel the reason you may not have seen it too much could be for a lot of reasons, but probably because players want to focus more on his other more dramatic changes to get a feel for them. Also, with tools like the armor on upsmash, pivot tilting, Sh bair, Nair, and the improved firebreath. It seems like Bowser's spacing options have gotten a lot stronger while the improved mobility, air klaw, fair, and nair, and maybe even the Bowser bomb could give him better approach options to handle characters that don't care so much about fire; Just my observations though.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Bowser's N and B aerials look absolutely devastating, and the fact that they changed the down one to a stall-then-fall makes him look stronger overall. Plus that new model is sexy

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Bowser's N and B aerials look absolutely devastating, and the fact that they changed the down one to a stall-then-fall makes him look stronger overall. Plus that new model is sexy
I just woke up from a nap, so I glanced at your avatar and thought it was Ganondorf for a second.

Last edited:

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Bowser is definitely looking pretty sexy in Smash 4...which is really exciting for me since I'm a bowser fan. I derped around with him in Melee, but that's about it...which is a shame considering my childhood self was unbelievably pumped when I saw Bowser was playable in melee, via my nintendo power magazine :4bowser:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I don't think I've posted in the Smash 4 Bowser forums ever. For whatever reason, I've been living under a rock.

But I have no other character to play besides this one, so I'm looking forward to it after a promising test-run last month.

Sababu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sababu1
He is awesome. He is definetly faster than he was in Melee/Brawl. His forward smash may take time getting used to and it tends to leave him open for punishment.

Overall, he controls like a dream. I cannot wait to main Bowser.
Bowser is great, but a little Overpowered.

Top Bottom