• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Buy Demo Discussion - What do you think of Bowser in Smash 4?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
This thread is to discuss your thoughts on Bowser from the playable demo at Best Buy. Please visit the other characters boards to discuss different characters.

---

With the playable demos on Wednesday, June 11 and Saturday, June 14, smashers who couldn't attend e3 will have the chance to experience Super Smash Brothers for the Wii U hands on for the first time.

- For information, Click here.
- To find a location near you, Click here.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I played him at E3 today. He is so much quicker here than in Brawl or Melee. Much easier to maneuver with but didn't get as much of a feel as I would have liked to. Tomorrow it will be mostly Bowser time.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Played him on the demo in Best Buy today :D

Love what they've done with him so far! Quick thoughts was that is ground past movement was much, MUCH quicker and more flexible than Brawl. I also like the ravamped aerials. However the FFA was too hectic for me to get a real feel :c. I'm not sure if it's all grabs in general or just Bowser, but there seems to be a lot more invicibility frames on grabbing. Whirling Fortress OoS is till a thing. Seems there's more shield stun. More than brawl but not as much as PM/Melee.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
He is awesome. He is definetly faster than he was in Melee/Brawl. His forward smash may take time getting used to and it tends to leave him open for punishment.

Overall, he controls like a dream. I cannot wait to main Bowser.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
I just played as him today and had a lot of fun. Even got to be Giga Bowser for a bit.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I got to play as him a bit in Smash Run, and he's definitely better. Faster, and less lag on his smashes. Most notably, Whirling Fortress gives a much, much better vertical boost.

I just played as him today and had a lot of fun. Even got to be Giga Bowser for a bit.
Did you notice anything different, like a longer duration or more power? Because Brawl Giga Bowser was pretty meh.

Last edited:

Asdferty

Smash Rookie
Played lots of bowser at the bestbuy event, won almost every match I played with him. Very strong, much faster, and recovery seemed better with the up-b high as well. As for giga-bowser, it was meh. Landmaster seemed much more powerful.

Specifics:
F-air - Still very good, great hitbox and speed.
B-air - Much faster, is now a drop kick with a large hitbox and strong knockback. Was able to get many chase kills off the stage with this and bowser's strong horizontal recovery.
N-air - Seemed better if only due to increased range, not sure if really useful still.
D-air - Now drops like a divekick when used, was much strong, think of it like a less risk less reward Down B.
U-air - Seemed a little faster, but a little less powerful, but I could be wrong about the power.

F-tilt - Mostly the same, fast and hard-hitting.
D-tilt - Huge damage if both hit (25%~), maybe a few frames faster.
U-tilt - Never got to use it cuz I don't normally have tap jump on and avoided it like the plague.
A-combo - Punches instead of swipes, similar speed power(?)
Dash Attack - Much safer it seemed, and his dash is faster in acceleration so this seemed a nice change.

Neutral B - Looked like longer range, but seemed like it took longer to change it's direction
Side B - Still the flying slam, range and speed were solid, but mostly the same. Cannot Koopa Hop.
Down B - Mostly the same, still does large damage to shields, but unsafe as usual.
Up B - More vertical recovery, horizontal similar. Probably still had invincibility on the ground, I seemed to be able to Up B out of shield pretty reliably when pressured.

F-smash - Is now a sweet dropkick. Has huge range, very meaty, and has great power. Only one hit as far as I know, but seemed more useful overall for punishing rolls dodges and even whiffed moves from further out due to the range.
U-smash - Seemed mostly the same, power still ok, couldn't tell if there was a hitbox on landing still, no one was ever under me like that.
D-smash - Again mostly the same, still great for punishing rolls behind you, but not much change.

Overall I think bowser to be a very strong contender, I think he will be a destructive force early on if nothing else.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I played him, I think he would be pretty decent of a character if not for one thing: he seems to have a heavy lack of an approach. His 3 main approaches in brawl are fair, air dodge and koopa klaw. You now have an RCO-like air dodge when you land in the ground, his fair has massive landing lag, and koopa klaw seemed to have a lot more lag too. However, his bair seems to be a much better approach, but I didn't start utilizing it til the end of the match so I can't say for sure and I know his dash attack is much better, I don't think these things can make up for the loss of the others though. Some of his moves do seem a lot quicker like uair and his dash speed and stuff is a lot better. I know he has good kill power with fsmash and some other moves, but that doesn't really matter in a 1v1 setting if you can't get in on your opponent, so I'm going to say based off my experience is that he's pretty bad right now, but who knows we could all just be playing him wrong in this new game and haven't figured it out yet.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
One more thing. Does he still have his Brawl voice? I totally forgot to look out for that. Since DK is retaining his, he probably will, which is really disappointing.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I didn't pay much attention to his voice, but the Bowser Bomb actually seems like it has more power than before to me, as well as a sweet little shockwave that does minimal damage/knockback. Great for FFA matches. Aside from that, he just controls so much more nicely. Not nearly as slow or clunky, but definitely still the Bowser we know and love. Fantastic improvements all around.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
Did the crowd go nuts?
Yes.
I got to play as him a bit in Smash Run, and he's definitely better. Faster, and less lag on his smashes. Most notably, Whirling Fortress gives a much, much better vertical boost.

Did you notice anything different, like a longer duration or more power? Because Brawl Giga Bowser was pretty meh.
I think the duration might have been a little longer but it was still pretty hard to KO anybody. Also regarding the voice, I think it has changed to sound a bit more like how he sounds in the Mario games.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
One more thing. Does he still have his Brawl voice? I totally forgot to look out for that. Since DK is retaining his, he probably will, which is really disappointing.
From listening to one of the Treehouse videos, yes he does.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I played him, I think he would be pretty decent of a character if not for one thing: he seems to have a heavy lack of an approach. His 3 main approaches in brawl are fair, air dodge and koopa klaw. .
I'm pretty sure his best approach in Brawl was to walk up to people.

But seriously, everything looks fun to me. Can't wait to try stuff out with him.

Last edited:

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Yea i'm pretty sure Bowser's ground speed varying from walk to run will make a great approach. That and overall range of attacks. Especially since run up -> shield in conformed. Flamethrower also seems like an interesting option because no SDI.

Last edited:

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure his best approach in Brawl was to walk up to people.

But seriously, everything looks fun to me. Can't wait to try stuff out with him.
Cant really di tgst when fqlconis sh double lasering you then phantasming away

Player-1

Smash Legend
they're playing bowser on 3ds version at the treehouse thing. Bowser's back roll looks REALLY REALLY good, I imagine his forward roll would be good too.

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
My findings are similar to what has been posted here, so I won't go into too many details since I would just be repeating what others have said, but I do have a few things to share.

Here are the damage values I was able to observe myself or in videos:

Jabs - First Punch is 5%. Second is 7%, 12% total.
F-tilt - 13%
U-tilt - 11%
D-tilt - About 25% if both punches connect. Credit to Asdferty

U-air - 11%
*N-air - Multi-hitting. Seems to do 21% if all attacks connect. Needs confirmation.
**D-air - 17% and first few frames is a meteor smash.
B-air - Needs confirmation. I think it did 15%
F-air - 14%

U-Smash - 15% (Fully charged is 29%)
D-smash - Multi-hitting. I saw it do around 20%, though not sure if all attacks connected. Needs confirmation.
F-smash - Seen hitting as low as 19% and as strong as 25%. Possibly due to charged values, but fully charged f-smash damage is still unknown.

Bowser Bomb - Between 18% and 21%. Pop-up damage is 3%.
Whirling Fortress - Unsure. Looked like 15%. Needs confirmation.
Fire Breath - Multi-hitting. Does about 3-4% damage per tick, 2-3 ticks per second.
Flying Slam - Between 16% and 19%

*N-air value taken from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0rnJeXedJY&feature=youtu.be&t=1m44s
Multiple watches didn't show any outside influence, but it's sketchy and needs to be investigated.

**D-air seen doing a spike (meteor smash) twice. Needs confirmation but looks legit. Credit to Gimpyfish's Smash Fest video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8poPHIdkF8c&feature=youtu.be&t=4m28s

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Despite every character having landing lag from aerials, Bowser didn't seem to suffer as much since all his aerials from brawl/melee had lag. But it felt that lag was reduced a bit in the demo.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Nice match. What controllers do you play with at Best Buy?
When I went, they had Pro Controllers. A little weird to get used to, but once you've got the feel for it, it actually works really well imo.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Going off my video in the order they were inputted:

-I immediately tried for a Flying Slam but unfortunately missed. This is the very first input I attempted in Smash 4. Feels great.

-Knowing I wouldn't make it on the platform and end up under Villager, I opted for an Utilt that clanked with one of Villi's moves.

-Realizing that, I up smashed for some strange reason.

-Since Villi ran for the hill's I attempted a Fair on Gren but got anti aired... I think?

-I actually tried to read a roll from Mac and missed my FSmash, which I love the animation for.

-Up Smash hits Gren and sends him nowhere. Did 15% uncharged.

-Right here I decide to recover with a rising fair which has crazy range.

-I hit him under Bowser and I noticed my fast fall was very quick.

-Immediately shielded after Fair lag which is noticeably fast unless I IASA buffered it.

-My original intent was to Flying Slam everyone so I returned to said attack. I notice your momentum no longer slows when using it and you kind of just fly with it.

-Out of curiousity, I used Fire, which seems to cover half of battlefield and has a gigantic hitbox at the tip.

-Jab seems to link well and ftilt came out fast enough to look like it's part of the jab combo.

-Aware of the whiffed Dash attack by Villi, I opted for Fmash and land it. 42-67%.

-I immediately get destroyed by a Bob-Omb.

-While invicible, decided to FSmash the mosh pit, but they all left as soon as I entered.

-Random Bowser Bomb works!

-Flying Slam kills Gren at 84%.

-Fire rises above platforms.

-End lag on fire is very fast, I was able to use it off stage and come back without having to be perfect.

-1:50 I was debating on whether or not I can reach the Smash Ball and make it back safely.

-Even after taking a hit beforehand, it seems Bowser's recovery going backwards works just as well.

-Giga Bowser.

-Giga Bowser has his Brawl moveset(Headbutt Fsmash, Non spinning Up Smash)

-Bowser is definitely not a Free For All character.

Things I've noticed in other videos.

Bowser grounded Up B is now multi hit instead of single. It still seems like a great OoS option.

Bowser bomb destroys FULLY healthy shields.. or at least Yoshi's.

His Up Smash has armor, negating the full knock back effects of a Bob Omb.

Bowser's run speed is very fast.

Bowser also seems to Flash white during some attacks. Armor indications?

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
Cant really di tgst when fqlconis sh double lasering you then phantasming away
Approaching with aerials or airdodges is gonna get hit by the lasers no matter what.

His Up Smash has armor, negating the full knock back effects of a Bob Omb.
It seems like Usmash actually has autoguard as opposed to armor, but I'll have to see more footage to make sure.

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
It seems like Usmash actually has autoguard as opposed to armor, but I'll have to see more footage to make sure.
Yeah Every video I've seen him using it in, it appears that during the charge, if he's hit he won't take any damage or knockback. Also, it looks like he has conastant flinch resistance vs weak projectiles now. This was first seen vs the megabuster, but i've also seen it again against the superscope's rapid fire. http://youtu.be/h3CugGrHnF0?t=3m7s You can see here that even when Zelda is laying into him with rapid fire he doesn't care at all, it could be because maybe those shots don't flinch now but it looks like the villager flinches when she's hit by it though it's hard to tell cause of quality and because Bowser is kinda overlapping so it's hard to see for sure but it did look like she flinched a few times from being hit by it.

I've also noticed that Nair is multi-hitting which seems like a useful buff along with the increased range, looks like a really good spacing tool in the air. Fsmash still has an epic wind-back which looks like can can be used similarly to previous versions, perhaps to even grater effect thanks to how tightly he compacts himself as he tenses up for the kick and the incredible range on the attack itself.

Air klaw's good range appears to still be intact but not 100% on that one, would need someone to confirm that in saturday's smashfest. Also, it might be good to get an idea of his new grab and pivot grab ranges as well as pummel speed and throws. So far it looks like his forward and back throws are more useful and pummel looks about the same. Grab animation looks less punishable, and i'm loving the new one-handed grab with Bowser. I'd like to see if Up and down throws still have fixed knockback and if Down throw is a better set-up throw this time around. Also, can he still crawl? And is his crouch a little better this time around?

That's about all I can thing about at the moment, if anyone can answer any of these questions that'd be great, thanks!

Top Bottom