• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Brawl mains in Canada! 1.0* Updated Nov 26, 09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iliad

Smash Lord
See that's cute. As though my vulgarity demeans the merit of my post. I asked Holy whos better, Stroum or Minus, a day or so after the update, I mentioned you brought up the comparison. You know what he told me? "I've played both, though it HAS been a while. I'd say Minus though."

Infact, the ONLY character he firmly disagreed with me on was my opinion that Culex was top falcon. But that's understandable. I mean, he doesn't travel as much as you, or have a great concept of how the game works, amirite?

Swordgard said:
I am not saying Quebec is better than GTA here
page before:

Swordgard said:
You have a couple of really good players, but your average scene player is not terribly better than ours, and our top3 is definitely better
Yes. Thats exactly what you're saying. Infact, I would even be douchey enough to misconstrue that statement as your top 3 could walk our entire PR.

The other issue Sword, is your extreme elitism. What we call SDI, could be different from what you call SDI. It's no different from me referring to a move that launches an opponent downwards as a spike, as opposed to someone else who refers to it as a takedown, or a meteor-smash. What we describe is the same thing with different names, but immediately your brain registers this as "No you're stupid, you're using that word wrong, because I use it in a different context. Hence you don't know what you're talking about."

And that elitism is most certainly the product of a superiority complex. When and if things aren't presented to you in the exact manner you expect them to be presented to you, they must be incorrect or inferior. Take our conversation for example, concerning the japanese play style.

The first thing you noticed was their DI and SDI, and how spot on it was. The first thing I noticed was the lack of diversity in the moveset, and the stagnation that would likely cause in their metagame. Considering their tier list consists of the scrub list I made when the game first came out, I don't think I'm far off. And I'm far less impressed by their technical skill. In a game like brawl, intelligence and mindgames make the player, not tech skill. But, in your facet of thought, likely given that you play a main that requires more techskill than intelligence and mindgames (Tell me i'm wrong about a character that can kill every character in the cast within one grab if the combo as it were is memorized and perfected.) this makes sense, but it does not make it the correct train of thought. And yet you repeatedly asked me to examine the match, as though one would talk to an innocent child unaware of the obvious mistake he's made in not seeing the same thing you did.

Bro. You are alot more uneducated about brawl than I think you realize. And it's utterly naive to claim you know our scene well enough from one experience against them. You play your quebec players, and we play our ontario players. You can't cry foul and bias that we would be more familiar with ours and nominate them, when you infact do the VERY SAME THING. That my silly silly christian missionary. Is hypocrisy.

Oh right. **** **** **** **** PISS ****. There, i swore, and you didn't. Does that make your point more valid than mine? In the world of Swordgard, it would seem so.

swordgard

Smash Hero
See that's cute. As though my vulgarity demeans the merit of my post. I asked Holy whos better, Stroum or Minus, a day or so after the update, I mentioned you brought up the comparison. You know what he told me? "I've played both, though it HAS been a while. I'd say Minus though."

Infact, the ONLY character he firmly disagreed with me on was my opinion that Culex was top falcon. But that's understandable. I mean, he doesn't travel as much as you, or have a great concept of how the game works, amirite?

page before:

Yes. Thats exactly what you're saying. Infact, I would even be douchey enough to misconstrue that statement as your top 3 could walk our entire PR.

The other issue Sword, is your extreme elitism. What we call SDI, could be different from what you call SDI. It's no different from me referring to a move that launches an opponent downwards as a spike, as opposed to someone else who refers to it as a takedown, or a meteor-smash. What we describe is the same thing with different names, but immediately your brain registers this as "No you're stupid, you're using that word wrong, because I use it in a different context. Hence you don't know what you're talking about."

And that elitism is most certainly the product of a superiority complex. When and if things aren't presented to you in the exact manner you expect them to be presented to you, they must be incorrect or inferior. Take our conversation for example, concerning the japanese play style.

The first thing you noticed was their DI and SDI, and how spot on it was. The first thing I noticed was the lack of diversity in the moveset, and the stagnation that would likely cause in their metagame. Considering their tier list consists of the scrub list I made when the game first came out, I don't think I'm far off. And I'm far less impressed by their technical skill. In a game like brawl, intelligence and mindgames make the player, not tech skill. But, in your facet of thought, likely given that you play a main that requires more techskill than intelligence and mindgames (Tell me i'm wrong about a character that can kill every character in the cast within one grab if the combo as it were is memorized and perfected.) this makes sense, but it does not make it the correct train of thought. And yet you repeatedly asked me to examine the match, as though one would talk to an innocent child unaware of the obvious mistake he's made in not seeing the same thing you did.

Bro. You are alot more uneducated about brawl than I think you realize. And it's utterly naive to claim you know our scene well enough from one experience against them. You play your quebec players, and we play our ontario players. You can't cry foul and bias that we would be more familiar with ours and nominate them, when you infact do the VERY SAME THING. That my silly silly christian missionary. Is hypocrisy.

Oh right. **** **** **** **** PISS ****. There, i swore, and you didn't. Does that make your point more valid than mine? In the world of Swordgard, it would seem so.
I might answer tommorow morning, I REALLY gotta go sleep, I forgot I had exams to study tommorow.

PND

Smash Champion
This thread got fail right quick.

Quebec vs GTAN, let's settle this ****. . . in Ottawa (Neutral meeting place between the two)

I'll get on this **** and try and host / co-host something soon. Crews are a must.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
wow epic arguments, i guess when you arent part of the arguments, it is kinda fun to sit back and watch other people squirm

+1 for closing this thread (benefits me anyways ;))

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I think this thread should be turned into "Character Mains of Canada", as opposed to "Best"

Just my opinion.

You know? I may have actually started taking this thread seriously again. I mean it, that's a good idea.

Boasting/trying to determine whose the best won't work at this point for now, why not just acknowledge the players on both East Coast and West Coast, regardless of the character, that do compete/place and are worth noting? This has nothing to do with the "Best", but a scouting thread, is what I see.

Not sure what you were talking about exactly, Linkshot, but if this is what you mean, then I support that direction of this thread.

We can't just include every single player in Canada if the title is "Character Mains of Canada", but we can broaden our outlook on players who are skilled with a particular character. More fun, more light-hearted, and simpler in my opinion.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
I think this thread should be turned into "Character Mains of Canada", as opposed to "Best"

Just my opinion.
This is a nice idea.

Really this thread it benefit alot from just giving Canadians credits rather than a select few of them. Listing successful Canadians in tourneys actually sounds alot better than fighting for top spot since as we see, it would just be a mess unless there's a definitive consensus (Eg. Ally being the best Snake in Canada, ect.).

Although I would like to know who's the best main in Canada, if we cannot do this properly, I wouldn't find any value in the thread really... So let's just be a little lax making this go.

swordgard

Smash Hero

page before:

If he does not firmly disagree, it might mean holy is not 100% sure himself. Once again, not saying KKong>Phiddlesticks or that Mar1>Culex, I am saying they are equally eligible for the spots.

Now if you want to argue about whos top 3 is better, I can tell you Montreal south shore takes the cake. Simple as it is , we have ally me and holy. Let us first agree on the fact that ally is untouchable. From the start our #1 beats your number 1 2 and 3. For now let us assume I am number 2(holys gonna bug me for this XD), I can tell you I can take out joe fairly easily at a tourney(he lost to raidos >.<, don't take it bad joe its just you have way too much trouble vs ics). Holy placed consistently 1st or 2nd at your scene going about even with kingace outplacing doc everytime and beating TO joe too. For now, let us assume that silverdoc dramatically(which he did), I would say that I am about on his level, he has yet to take off any set from holy/ally, but I'm sure that the lack of occasions to prove his newfound skills is more the problem than anything. So it would go something like this:
Ally> TO joe, silverdoc, kingace
Swordgard ~= Silverdoc, beats TO Joe, unknown with kingace.
Holynightmare ~= Kingace, beats to joe, unknown with silverdoc.
Fact is, only be allys presence it reinforce our top 3 position by a lot since you won't be able to claim to have the best player, and the rest of our top 3 is roughly equivalent to your top 2.

Would our top 3 walk over your PR? Holy did not drop a set to anyone from GTA save kingace in a long time, with very few people coming even near(I mean near to the point when he had to rely on planking >.>). Ally would definitely walk over your PR, not questions asked, plain ****. Finally, the only one left is me. Walk over your PR, maybe, maybe not. I did not drop a single set to all the PR members I played at SBaN, but that does not mean I would necessarly walk over your PR. Only time will tell.

So yes, our top 3 beats yours(thanks to ally, he is however a part of quebec). Yes our top 3 would probably walk over the rest of your PR, just like your top 3 would probably walk over a lot of our PR. On the other hand, we have many more people who came close to beating holy in a tourney set, for example negga taking 1st match off holy due to a magnificient double barrel spike, winning until last stock on the last match. Holy had to plank dom cause he was losing, and Dom did not knew how to counter the technique properly. First time I ever saw holy ever plank(I was proud of him :) ), he came back with a gimp then continued to plank. But that is not the problem here, I did not claim that our top 3 would walk over your PR before now and you just threatened to strawman me, which is really er... wrong? You don't threaten to do logical fallacies >.>. You already strawmanned me when you said that I wanted mar1 to have the spot instead of Culex, which is not what I said at all. I said that mar1 deserved to be at least and OR with Culex,

I said your average player is better, but it is not much better. I would say that currently both provinces are about equal in strength since the lower end of your PR is probably stronger than ours.

Now let us move on to the next point:
The other issue Sword, is your extreme elitism. What we call SDI, could be different from what you call SDI.

My elitism? I wish you could define that. If its the way I tend to give advice to everyone, its not because I believe I am necessarily better, its so others can improve, please do not mistake the two. If someone has a counter argument to when I explain to them why they should for example DI in a specific manner, I let them explain it. I am open to any debate, as debating in a proper manner leads to knowledge. As to my knowledge, there never was any alternate definition of SDI, SDI and DI are simply really different. To quote another Quebec smasher: "Its like comparing a hand and an arm". The two are simply very different, if you do not see the difference I will gladly explain it to you, just hit me up on msn. You are not the only one to confuse the two, except that in montreal I took the time to explain it to everyone who had doubts. What you were explaining was simply good DI but when you come saying to me it involved DI and SDI, I am going to stop you right there because it does not. Ask any melee player, even they have the exact same convention on the terminology for this(except slightly different mechanics on ASDI involving C-stick which lead to the technique of double sticking).

Now, let us move on to

"When and if things aren't presented to you in the exact manner you expect them to be presented to you, they must be incorrect or inferior. Take our conversation for example, concerning the japanese play style.

The first thing you noticed was their DI and SDI, and how spot on it was. The first thing I noticed was the lack of diversity in the moveset, and the stagnation that would likely cause in their metagame. Considering their tier list consists of the scrub list I made when the game first came out, I don't think I'm far off. And I'm far less impressed by their technical skill. In a game like brawl, intelligence and mindgames make the player, not tech skill. But, in your facet of thought, likely given that you play a main that requires more techskill than intelligence and mindgames (Tell me i'm wrong about a character that can kill every character in the cast within one grab if the combo as it were is memorized and perfected.) this makes sense, but it does not make it the correct train of thought. And yet you repeatedly asked me to examine the match, as though one would talk to an innocent child unaware of the obvious mistake he's made in not seeing the same thing you did."

From the way you were talking about SDI, it really was clear you did not understand how it is applied since you called DI as SDI, which means you must not know what SDI is since there is no other word for it, but that is besides the point. Here, you clearly noted and I quote
"The first thing I noticed was the lack of diversity in the moveset, and the stagnation that would likely cause in their metagame."
just after that I wrote how on the spot their DI and SDI was. Its a cause consequence link, of course they have a more limited moveset, most of their move are rendered unviable through SDI. Of course with there you can mindgame a lot less. Its just like instead of having 24 moves, you had 10. No matter how much you mindgame the other 14, they can punish them on reaction without mistakes during the move due to SDI, which makes them unviable even if they are mindgamed into. I would agree that NA has better yomi skills(mindgames/mind reading abilities), but the point is we could learn how to SDI from them.

I can tell you you are completely wrong about my facet of thought. I am one of the few smashers pushing for not only perfect yomi (to the point where I have a list of all the most common patterns somewhere lying around), knowledge(which gives you a huge advantage in many matches), and execution(spacing, tech skill, SDI, etc). Nope, I do not value tech skill above intelligence, for a fact I do realize that my main is seen as a character that requires very little intelligence despite the fact that there are plenty of people who mains them and can cg 0 to death but will not place top at tourneys. As ice climber players, I realized some characters have the tools to almost never get grabbed, and that when they did get grabbed it was often an execution mistake. In order to get the grabs, I needed knowledge about what move beats which, what are every single options in the game but also I needed prediction skills. Now also comes Nana's horrendous AI, I had to do research on that to gain more knowledge about it. I am pushing for perfection in all 3 of them, yomi is very important and I will certainly not disagree there, but true mind reading only happens at very high level. If some players have some "flash" that goes on through their head before another does his move, that is yomi, but from what I could see, in a tourney Ally seems to be able to permanently achieve this(which is impressive when you play him and he is trying).

Also at this
"And yet you repeatedly asked me to examine the match, as though one would talk to an innocent child unaware of the obvious mistake he's made in not seeing the same thing you did."
I did this cause I wanted you to find it, find the reason why they "seem" so bad. I know for a fact that people retain a lot more what they can find on their own than if explained to them. My bad I guess.

Then
"Bro. You are alot more uneducated about brawl than I think you realize. And it's utterly naive to claim you know our scene well enough from one experience against them. You play your quebec players, and we play our ontario players. You can't cry foul and bias that we would be more familiar with ours and nominate them, when you infact do the VERY SAME THING. That my silly silly christian missionary. Is hypocrisy."

Yup, which explains all of my bad placings, my ability to pick up a character and be able to bring most top players down with them(fox :)) using this character I trained for a week. In terms of yomi, it is hard to put yomi on paper but so far I can say that I have been able to do it well enough so that I can call out on what people describes as flash of what the other would do before he does it, and call out on what was the pattern they could not pinpoint themselves and tell them how to make the punishment even stronger(it is much easier to prepare a better punishment when you know exactly what the pattern is since you don't have to wait for these flashes to happen). In terms of knowledge mechanics, I am consistently trying to learn more about the game, TBH I doubt there are many people on the forums who understand the game more than me in terms of mechanics/matchups.

I call foul and bias on the fact not that you nominate your players, but that in almost every single debate between 2 players, the GTA player was favored due to merely his region. Kingkong has the exact same credentials as phiddlesticks, not a single doubt there. I would call bias on myself if I was to ask for Kingkong to be put definitely above phiddlesticks, or if I was to ask for stroumbert to be above minus. You said it yourself, you play your players, I play the ones in montreal. I am not asking for Quebec having all of these disputed spots, I just wish that the spot did not automatically go to GTA when two players have similar placings. Just put it as an either.

"Oh right. **** **** **** **** PISS ****. There, i swore, and you didn't. Does that make your point more valid than mine? In the world of Swordgard, it would seem so"
Nope, but it really does show how emotional you can get over a subject, and these emotions can easily cloud your judgment. And in the real world, yes, your arguments will be rejected by people if it contains such swearing because they will not take you seriously.

EDIT: Marik your post made me lol because I consider you as a troll often, but wow, I guess your gonna be frustrated by my answer to Iliad and just call BS . That post just cost me an hour of studying XD, be back later.

"C"let

Smash Journeyman
oh except for Ally though, and Holy. And any other player FROM MONTREAL you feel also knows it.
The thing you don't know is that they are the only players in montreal!! and maybe 2 or 3 others
MOST of the scene shifted to brawl+ or melee, you can't even find enough people to set a brawl setup in smashfests or our usual weeklies lol

Oh and the BEST MARIO spot is for sale for only $9.99!! believe me this is the best main spot you want, you can be "the canadian who mains the character that started it ALL"
(joel if it sells I'm getting a 2.43$ commission)

swordgard

Smash Hero
The thing you don't know is that they are the only players in montreal!! and maybe 2 or 3 others
MOST of the scene shifted to brawl+ or melee, you can't even find enough people to set a brawl setup in smashfests or our usual weeklies lol

Oh and the BEST MARIO spot is for sale for only $9.99!! believe me this is the best main spot you want, you can be "the canadian who mains the character that started it ALL"
(joel if it sells I'm getting a 2.43$ commission)
Brawl scene still exists, its just a different set of people, private smashfests, and we no longer reside mainly on these boards. AiB and the quebec clan chat is where most players are. I am one of the few who continued being active on SWF. Most of the scene did not shift to B+ or melee, as scene with bisb 2, where brawl + was a mere 14 entrants(with most being brawl players) and melee had 12 player iirc. So yeah, please keep from posting such information, it really is not the case.

Brawl players simply do not go to weeklies anymore, and our smashfests are private.

KingAce

Smash Ace
If he does not firmly disagree, it might mean holy is not 100% sure himself. Once again, not saying KKong>Phiddlesticks or that Mar1>Culex, I am saying they are equally eligible for the spots.

Now if you want to argue about whos top 3 is better, I can tell you Montreal south shore takes the cake. Simple as it is , we have ally me and holy. Let us first agree on the fact that ally is untouchable. From the start our #1 beats your number 1 2 and 3. For now let us assume I am number 2(holys gonna bug me for this XD), I can tell you I can take out joe fairly easily at a tourney(he lost to raidos >.<, don't take it bad joe its just you have way too much trouble vs ics). Holy placed consistently 1st or 2nd at your scene going about even with kingace outplacing doc everytime and beating TO joe too. For now, let us assume that silverdoc dramatically(which he did), I would say that I am about on his level, he has yet to take off any set from holy/ally, but I'm sure that the lack of occasions to prove his newfound skills is more the problem than anything. So it would go something like this:
Ally> TO joe, silverdoc, kingace
Swordgard ~= Silverdoc, beats TO Joe, unknown with kingace.
Holynightmare ~= Kingace, beats to joe, unknown with silverdoc.
Fact is, only be allys presence it reinforce our top 3 position by a lot since you won't be able to claim to have the best player, and the rest of our top 3 is roughly equivalent to your top 2.

Would our top 3 walk over your PR? Holy did not drop a set to anyone from GTA save kingace in a long time, with very few people coming even near(I mean near to the point when he had to rely on planking >.>). Ally would definitely walk over your PR, not questions asked, plain ****. Finally, the only one left is me. Walk over your PR, maybe, maybe not. I did not drop a single set to all the PR members I played at SBaN, but that does not mean I would necessarly walk over your PR. Only time will tell.

So yes, our top 3 beats yours(thanks to ally, he is however a part of quebec). Yes our top 3 would probably walk over the rest of your PR, just like your top 3 would probably walk over a lot of our PR. On the other hand, we have many more people who came close to beating holy in a tourney set, for example negga taking 1st match off holy due to a magnificient double barrel spike, winning until last stock on the last match. Holy had to plank dom cause he was losing, and Dom did not knew how to counter the technique properly. First time I ever saw holy ever plank(I was proud of him :) ), he came back with a gimp then continued to plank. But that is not the problem here, I did not claim that our top 3 would walk over your PR before now and you just threatened to strawman me, which is really er... wrong? You don't threaten to do logical fallacies >.>. You already strawmanned me when you said that I wanted mar1 to have the spot instead of Culex, which is not what I said at all. I said that mar1 deserved to be at least and OR with Culex,

One thing i dont get though is how can ally really still be considered part of the quebec scene lol. hes always in the US, and he rarely ever plays with you guys in smashfests/weeklies. also, quebecs top 3 if they had ally, is undeniably better than GTANs top 3, but truthfully top 3 doesnt mean the region is better. best way to know forsure would just to do a 8-10 man crew battle between montreal and gta

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Ally's just a Canadian in disguise. Seriously, lookit him infiltrate America like it's nothin'.

And some of you wonder why he mains Snake... Genius.

.Marik

is a social misfit
EDIT: Marik your post made me lol because I consider you as a troll often, but wow, I guess your gonna be frustrated by my answer to Iliad and just call BS . That post just cost me an hour of studying XD, be back later.
Lern2multi-quote.

Also, I'm not a troll. Iliad just completely ***** your logic and you can't substantially refute his points.

Good day.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
One thing i dont get though is how can ally really still be considered part of the quebec scene lol. hes always in the US, and he rarely ever plays with you guys in smashfests/weeklies. also, quebecs top 3 if they had ally, is undeniably better than GTANs top 3, but truthfully top 3 doesnt mean the region is better. best way to know forsure would just to do a 8-10 man crew battle between montreal and gta
You know he alway goes to USA because they simply have more tournaments, beside Ally alway goes to where there is more money. If it's more profitable to stay in Quebec, he'll stay.
Why would Ally play with us? Ally isn't Swordgard, he doesn't care about helping people get better. He wouldn't waste time training someone for he does not have any passion for this game anymore, he hates Brawl and only plays for money. Anywho this doesn't change the fact Ally lives in Quebec and his part of Canada.

PND

Smash Champion
Before I start looking for venues, who would be interested in an Ottawa tourney? GTAN vs MTL super crews definitely have to happen. I'm thinking early to mid Feb -- anyone have any complaints / suggestions? I need to know when the best time is -- and if enough people are interested to make it worthwhile.

EDIT: Maybe a top 3 would help quell some of the drama? People could still be competitive within their character's top 3 and there won't be so much drama. Either that, or have an EC, WC, and maybe Quebec ranking for each character. WC's greatest Ike is _____, EC's is _______, and Quebec's is ______. I dunno, this thread is kinda cool but there def are a lot of problems with a country as big (Geographically) as Canada

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Before I start looking for venues, who would be interested in an Ottawa tourney? GTAN vs MTL super crews definitely have to happen. I'm thinking early to mid Feb -- anyone have any complaints / suggestions? I need to know when the best time is -- and if enough people are interested to make it worthwhile.
I say it's seriously time that Ottawa host something! You guys been travelling around for ages, count Montreal in.

Nelo Vergil

Smash Master
Ugg, this thread trolls itself so much I really don't have to put any effort into it. How about instead riding Ally's ***, we focus on our own games, and improving us and, our quite honest, stale smash scene. I believe, whether EC or WC, there is alot of potential there, but for starters, what other Canadian puts himself out as much as Ally, we simply need to improve each provinces respective scene and create interest, and was said earlier, much more effort needs to be put forward for cross country tournaments.

As for this sorry excuse for a thread, as Linkshot implied, we need to make this a "Notable" character main thread, Im not saying this to make lesser players feel better, but if your good enough, you deserve to be recognized for your talent/effort, obviously alot of people would be left out, but its much better to showcase all our talent. As for this thread itself,I say we just lock it, shut it down, and begin anew.

EDIT: See, just what I was talking about PND, if I can make it down Id gladly go, Im sure alot of WC as well would be willing, especially for the Canadian WC, we need to start showing that effort and interest, and I hope Im not the only one who thinks this way

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Thanks for all the support!

I think the requirements for getting up on the "Popular Mains of Canada" list would be to:

Option 1) Place consistently high (Top 10 of 40+) at most tourneys you attend (80%?)
Option 2) Consistently travel to large tourneys. This makes placing less of an issue; popularity is based simply on spreading yourself out.
Option 3) Be a legend; your popularity is based on past events. A footnote should be placed for this.

With this, we could even have PRs for each separate character, using Ankoku's system.

Who would be willing to set this up? After coming to a general consensus, of course.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
Just don't make it Valentine's weekend mike!!

Also swordgard what exactly are KingKing's credentials? Because from what you've posted it seems like it's one 13th placing. I'm genuinely curious here

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Thanks for all the support!

I think the requirements for getting up on the "Popular Mains of Canada" list would be to:

Option 1) Place consistently high (Top 10 of 40+) at most tourneys you attend (80%?)
Option 2) Consistently travel to large tourneys. This makes placing less of an issue; popularity is based simply on spreading yourself out.
Option 3) Be a legend; your popularity is based on past events. A footnote should be placed for this.

With this, we could even have PRs for each separate character, using Ankoku's system.

Who would be willing to set this up? After coming to a general consensus, of course.
^that. Go ahead and create a thread where the makings of that can be discussed. Hopefully that idea will cause less drama llama.

And on request from the OP, this thread is getting the killL0ck. :marth: :marth: :marth: :marth:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom