• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Band Ever?

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Heavy Metal:

Motorhead
Black Sabbath

Black Metal:

Celtic Frost
Bathory(viking metal watever)
Emperor
Venom
Enslaved

Folk Metal:

Finntroll
Ensiferum

Death Metal:

Morbid Angel
Death
Behemoth
Deicide
Gojira
Vader

Thrash Metal:

Metallica
Slayer
Pantera
Rigor Mortis
Iced Earth(power)
Sepultura

Melodic Black/Death Metal:

Children of bodom
Chthonic
In the Woods
Naglfar
Wintersun
Amon Amarth

Prog. Metal:

Opeth/bloodbath
Pain of Salvation
Mastodon(sludge)
Symphony X
Meshuggah

Power Metal:
Axenstar
Hammerfall

Sludge/stone/doom/gothic metal:

Electric Wizard
Candlemass
Solitude Aeturnus
Within Temptation
Moonspell
My Dying Bride
Sons of Otis

Gothic Rock:

The Cure
Bauhaus
The Sisters of Mercy
Siouxsie & the Banshees
Fields of the Nephilim

Punk:

Rancid
The Misfits

Grunge/alt.:

mudhoney
Nirvana
The Melvins
Sonic Youth
Alice In Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Rasputina

Industrial:

KMFDM
Ministry
NIN
Rammstein

Blues Rock:

Muddy Waters
Stevie Ray Vaughn

Blues:

B.B. King
Lead belly
Lightnin' Hopkins

I knew that was going to be ****ing long...but I felt at least some of these bands should be mentioned, as some of them were.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
All those metal band and no Tool Psychoace? Tsk tsk tsk.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
To be fair I wouldn't call Tool metal.

Why is this topic still being debated? I answered it a couple pages back.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
72826 waws probably their most metal-esc kinda stuff and it was an lp. After that they were pretty much like progressive rock.

I'm not too into Tool so I only listed the ones I know about. Also Opeth is ****ing ****.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Awesome taste, Psychoace.
Although you could have made a better Thrash selection.

Thrash:
Kreator
Death Angel
Municipal Waste
Sadus
Metal Church
Exhorder
Dark Angel
Overkill
Sodom
Skeletonwitch
Destruction
Testament
Megadeth
Exodus

Pantera isn't really Thrash. Maybe for CFH and their earlier albums, the rest are Groove.

All those metal band and no Tool Psychoace? Tsk tsk tsk.
LOL

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
That's funny, because just about every website that mentions Tool begs to differ, here are a few examples of how Tool isn't metal:

Number 22: http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_metal-art.html

Refer to 'Genre(s)': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_(band)

http://www.metalunderground.com/bands/details.cfm?bandid=24

Refer to genre: http://www.mp3.com/artist/tool/summary/

http://metalmusic.suite101.com/article.cfm/tool_headlined_excel_energy_center

The beauty of Tool is that they don't limit themselves to any one genre so while they may not be purely metal they can still be classified as it.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
That's funny, because just about every website that mentions Tool begs to differ, here are a few examples of how Tool isn't metal:

Number 22: http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_metal-art.html

Refer to 'Genre(s)': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_(band)

http://www.metalunderground.com/bands/details.cfm?bandid=24

Refer to genre: http://www.mp3.com/artist/tool/summary/

http://metalmusic.suite101.com/article.cfm/tool_headlined_excel_energy_center

The beauty of Tool is that they don't limit themselves to any one genre so while they may not be purely metal they can still be classified as it.
Fair gaff, and I certaintly can't argue, I just stick them under Rock as they are not what I, personally I'll point out, consider a metal band.

Though looking at his Prog. Metal section do you not think Tool would be 'out of place'?

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Music is very subjective after all, for example I don't know how anyone could like things like Britney Spears or Fergie but that doesn't make them wrong.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I'm not too into Tool so I only listed the ones I know about. Also Opeth is ****ing ****.
God no. Opeth can write some amazing stuff, but they draw out their songs too long. They just don't end, which becomes a problem when I listen to them.

Sporkman said:
But they are on The Metal Observer, which is good enough for me.
Niko_K is right; if they aren't on metal archives, they're not metal. I don't know anyone who really considers Tool metal in a serious manner. I think they are more of a rock-based (although as has been mentioned, they deviate into all different types of music) with some usually unique baselines and very good drumming. I think people tend to over-respond to the heavier sound and automatically jump to metal.

Skywalker

Space Jump
**** random horns blowing everywhere with **** guitar and queer punk vocals.

Not my thing.
A few ska-punk bands, like Reel Big Fish and Streetlight Manifesto, are actually pretty good. Admittedly a lot of ska is crap though.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Sure they may have some catchy melody, but nothing can compare to the technicality and substance of Progressive Metal and MeloDeath. Except Jazz and Classical.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Sure they may have some catchy melody, but nothing can compare to the technicality and substance of Progressive Metal and MeloDeath. Except Jazz and Classical.
There's more to music than technicality. Listenability is a big one, and most metal genres are difficult to listen to if you're not a connoisseur of the craft. The majority of classical music and jazz music is enjoyable to listen to even if you're not picking apart the song structures.

Niko_K

Smash Master
A lot of freeform jazz is VERY difficult to listen to, and the average person doesn't even understand music structure to begin with.

The thing that strays everyone away from most metal is harsh vocals. In progressive metal there is little of that, (see dream theater or symphony x)

starwolf216

Smash Apprentice
I usually dont listen to metal.Too hard.Im more alternative rock.my fav band is death cab for cutie.Do you guys think there good?

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Like it or not, Women don't belong in Metal. They just don't.
Go listen to Dark Moor's previous vocalist on any track (I recommend In The Heart of Stone or another track off of The Gates of Oblivion) and come back.

Also, it's a sin to say Death isn't the best band ever.
I could post a list of hundreds of bands here but in the interest of not being obnoxious
Bad Religion is the best band ever and thus by definition is better than Death.

I usually dont listen to metal.Too hard.
Hey, that's perfectly fine. There are many subgenres of metal that aren't as "hard" as the typical death metal band most people conjure up. Take symphonic metal. for example, or certain power metal groups. If you want to kind of "ease yourself" into metal, you could try older groups like Dio, Sabbath, Def Leppard, etc. and work up.

Personally, I can't stand most death metal or anything whose primary vocal delivery method is screaming (AILD is an exception). However, I'm huge on symphonic/classical music, so I initially started listening to bands like Narnia, Dark Moor, Versailles, Harmony, etc. and progressed from there. Metalocalypse was also a factor, as it makes stereotypical death metal hilarious.

Wuss

Smash Champion
the beatles. straight up, don't deny it. If they somehow ran for president, i would vote for them. The greatest band ever is the Beatles. nuff said.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Bad Religion is the best band ever and thus by definition is better than Death.
I agree wholeheartedly, but if you haven't heard their 1983 album Into the Unknown, I highly recommend it. There's a reason it's never been re-released. :p Hearing Graffin's vocals over a prog-rock background is a unique experience indeed.

As for the Dream Theater, I think they're a good band with a few tracks that I really like. They're obviously talented musicians, but pound-for-pound I think their fans take them a bit too seriously.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Awesome taste, Psychoace.
Although you could have made a better Thrash selection.

Thrash:
Kreator
Death Angel
Municipal Waste
Sadus
Metal Church
Exhorder
Dark Angel
Overkill
Sodom
Skeletonwitch
Destruction
Testament
Megadeth
Exodus

Pantera isn't really Thrash. Maybe for CFH and their earlier albums, the rest are Groove.

LOL
Jaja. Well they started out thrash I grew up with them but if you wanna call it groove that's cool too. Megadeth is ok and up there with the four and i'll give some respect to Exodus, Testament, Dark Angel, and kreator. I think Testament had a concert around here a few months back but I can't remember for sure.

Niko_K

Smash Master
The reason Dream Theater fans take DT so seriously is because they can literally mix any genre into any one of their songs and it will still sound proggy and have a metal feel to it. Not to mention each member of that group is literally one of the best in the world at their instruments...

Jordan Rudess went to University at age 7 for piano....

SunriseW12

Smash Apprentice
I dont know mango personally, but from his posts I think that soad's erratic, random, angry, and spastic style fits him pretty well.

Top Bottom