• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Becoming a 2011 Snake: A Metagame Advancement Thread

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
You sure about cypher not helping? I defs think it accelerates his diagonal movement helping with cancelling moment. I seem to live better with it too.
I just did a few quick tests in training mode. I put DK and Snake on the left edge of final destination and used DK's forward smash to hit Snake to the right. The numbers are the highest percents that Snake lived.

Simply holding left: 98
Cyphering to the left: 97
Airdodge -> cypher: 97
Holding left, mashing jump: 101
Airdodge -> jump towards the stage: 108
Airdodge -> jump + cypher towards the stage: 108

As you can see, cypher doesn't actually help Snake mc at all. Surprisingly, cyphering is slightly worse than just holding toward the stage when you don't have your second jump. Also, I tried to airdodge and then b-reverse a grenade to see if that would reverse his momentum or at least help to stop him, but I wasn't able to get it to work. It either doesn't work or it's impractically difficult.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i knew it was useless without the jump. it seems to accelerate whichever direction he is moving, so if he's moving backwards, he'll continue to do so.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Snake w/o a second jump just gets ****ed if he gets knocked back horizontally, even if he lives it's a ***** to recover from.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
lo its so broken. I abuse this so much during matches. Staling my C4, landmines and Nikita to refresh my Tilts and Nades? Win.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
hey guys I beat a MK that would beat my MK in the ditto with snake at KTAR 4 :D. yaaaay picking up Snake brought benefits after all ^_^.

btw Fatal is a MONSTER at the ditto... I've never ever felt so helpless in a set.... like ever O_O.

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah, second best snake in north america also comes from a region where every other player uses snake, it's ridiculous playing him in that MU

now if you have a :toonlink: on the other hand...

jbandrew

Smash Lord
hahaha i learned my lesson. And I'm actually interested in picking Toon Link up. I'ma see if I can get kingtoon to teach me. Oh secret tip: if you guys ever play Inui in tournament, do not be afraid to go SNake on him. The rumors are true; he's bad at the MU! lol lets get it !

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Important strings of characters to know (that aren't frame traps )in match ups:

:rob:
spot dodge > dsmash
laser > gyro (vice versa)
on ledge: drop > jump > gyro/laser
Wall of pain

:fox:
Sh > airdodge
Sh > fair (over you) > utilt
on ledge: drop > (shine) > jump > fair/illusion

:marth:
missed fair > blade dance
bair off stage > THEY'RE GOING FOR SPIKE ***** HIDE YO KIDS

:wario:
descending bite

Contribute guys

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
:metaknight:

Uair > Uair

:fox:

Dair > Usmash
Dair > Utilt
Dair > Shine
Dair > Dsmash

:popo:

Desync blizzard > grab

:pikachu:

Dthrow > Usmash > Thunder
QAC > (Aerial)

:lucario:

Grab Force Palm > Regrab (Low %)

:peach:

Floating Bair > Fair

:sheik:

Ftilt (Jab)> Grab
Ftilt (Jab)> Dsmash
Ftilt (Jab)> Fsmash
Ftilt (Jab)> Ftilt

:ness2:

Fair > Fair

:jigglypuff:

WoP

:kirby2:

Fthrow > Aerial

:lucario:

Fair > Fair

Attila_

BRoomer
:(

i genuinely feel lost in that mu. i try so hard only to get nowhere, and then i make a mistake and i lose O_o

actually, if mk is standing just outside of utilt range, what are some viable mixup options? i'll typically run back/nade pull back/random dash attack. hardly reliable though. or am i just supposed to avoid this situation altogether?

also, something i was mucking around with: i was practicing the jontech, and couldn't reliably make myself wall jump on all surfaces, which meant i was dying half the time. although i noticed that, if you do wall jump, cyphering on reaction then avebouncing a nade puts you back on stage anyway. no espc fast or safe, but much better than cyphering straight up or using a c4 again.

So Fatal

Smash Master
I like to break up combos with uptilit even if the MK is at low percent. Gotta break down that momentum even if it stales it it will still kill at 105ish

etecoon

Smash Hero
I've never really done the math on it but I've never considered it bad to use utilt at all until 30-40% anyway, if you use it early you're probably going to destale it by the time they hit kill %. snake racks up damage fast but even just throwing a grenade and having it hit them or their shield takes a spot in the line + grenades detonating other grenades also helps

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
whats the matchup these days for snake vs mk? i think its in mks favor but like..Nothing ****(unless ur m2k?)
been playing snake here and there online against some mks and its not too bad(but then again it is wifi lol :D)

Ill prob be using him this weekend at a tourney in AL.
but yeah MU?

Attila_

BRoomer
i don't really save utilt against anyone who is midweight or lighter. we kill early enough even when it's stale, have other killing options, and it's pretty rare to just kill someone with utilt anyway. most people are aware when they're at kill %, and will actively avoid it, so it doesn't happen until 20-30% later anyway.

ProXY GatoR

Smash Cadet
For some strange reason, i find myself getting kills with RANDOM aerials. this weekend at a local tourney, i don't even know how many times i got upairs from just dropping through a platform and throwing it out.

I'm definately looking into doing crazy **** like this more often. Since i've been playing a more unpredictable, sporadic Snake, i've had so much more success.

But with the uptilt thing:

i don't really save utilt against anyone who is midweight or lighter.
^^ This.

Attila_

BRoomer
does anyone remember how i said i was going to practice our infinite on diddy a couple of weeks ago?

i'm finally getting it. i've done three cycles, finishing with utilt.

it's still hard, but i actually know how it works now, which makes this much easier and more consistent (would've been considerably easier if someone was able to talk me through it, but hey).

am planning to perfect it and bring it out at the australian major in two weeks.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
Another thing that may help a little.

If you get hit towards a mine, you can tech the landing, have the mine blow up, and not be hurt. I've done it a few times, I rolled. Not sure if you can straight get up

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Yeah that's pretty well known; knowing the length of Snakes roll to the exact dot is even more important, so that you know when rolling towards a mine is okay. Don't be pressured by an opponent and have it used against you. Abuse invincibility frames. Landmines should also never be a deterrent for anything. We can roll-dodge, roll when we're on the floor, use the zero lag landing AT, tech it, or utilt it.

Landmines are our bast franzzzzz.

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
This is pretty situational but Snake can shield drop a grenade, hard throw downward, roll back, then normal throw another grenade for a nice little grenade wall that catches people off-guard. You may have to delay the second nade just a tiny bit. Anyone else know any good grenade wall setups?

Attila_

BRoomer
I do my nade walls by feel, nowadays. Much more natural and harder for people to get used to.

At the same time, you have to make sure you're a good distance away before linking nades; there won't be another explosion for three full seconds.

Top Bottom