• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Becoming a 2011 Snake: A Metagame Advancement Thread

Not really sure. I sort of gave up after trying it for a bit. I honestly do not think it is all that useful. It is rare to powershield anyway. And to buffer anything sort requires you to know you will powershield to begin with. The times this work will be situational I think.

I might probably try to learn this for landing on mines. It would seems an interesting gambit to fsmash after landing on a mine, then have a nade left to cover you anyway.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
Would it be helpful for the tornado? If grounded of course

That's pretty interesting, I might try later, wouldn't the nade blow up when you used the fsmash though?

Edit: Just checked the hitbox data thread, it doesn't hit as far back as I thought it did, but it's pretty close

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Not really sure. I sort of gave up after trying it for a bit. I honestly do not think it is all that useful. It is rare to powershield anyway. And to buffer anything sort requires you to know you will powershield to begin with. The times this work will be situational I think.

I might probably try to learn this for landing on mines. It would seems an interesting gambit to fsmash after landing on a mine, then have a nade left to cover you anyway.
cant smash. only tilt and jab. and Powershielding is not that hard. Alot of people PS the first hit of nado to help keep their shield higher for punishing. This is worth it. The more ways you have to punish mk's frame safe a$$ the better off you are. Go ahead and give up. your choice:urg:

jbandrew

Smash Lord

nado shouldn't be catching you "off guard" because you should have nades set up that make it easy to see when MK is going to nado you. Alot of MK's like to use it as a poking technique so why not learn how to stop them from ever approaching with it. Cmon, a mentality like "its situational" and blablabla isn't going to get Snake anywhere. I still see ALOT of Snakes get sucked up by random nados... even if they powersheilded it. This is an amazing find... you'll change your mind when you see me in grand finals against some NJ MK and I jab them out of their tornado!

cant smash. only tilt and jab. and Powershielding is not that hard. Alot of people PS the first hit of nado to help keep their shield higher for punishing. This is worth it. The more ways you have to punish mk's frame safe a$$ the better off you are. Go ahead and give up. your choice:urg:
Kprime mentioned it was possible with dsmash/fsmash. I forget what alteration he made about it though.
nado shouldn't be catching you "off guard" because you should have nades set up that make it easy to see when MK is going to nado you. Alot of MK's like to use it as a poking technique so why not learn how to stop them from ever approaching with it. Cmon, a mentality like "its situational" and blablabla isn't going to get Snake anywhere. I still see ALOT of Snakes get sucked up by random nados... even if they powersheilded it. This is an amazing find... you'll change your mind when you see me in grand finals against some NJ MK and I jab them out of their tornado!
Alright.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
we can already utilt his nado so its not that particularly useful for us. Only thing i could see this used for is if snake is one of the characters that can grab=free tech chase. Or if u dont want to stale utilt which shouldnt be problem anyways cuz we can refresh super ez but in case you dont you can use it to jab.
not true.

thinking about this, you should remember that if we crouch below nado, then shield, we get a free power shield. in which case, we get a free jab. in which case, we get a free jab --> grab/utilt (combo in the air). this is actually incredible. test please.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'm going to a smashfest tomorrow so ill play with it. My friend said after a few hours of practice he could get it about half the time so it doesn't sound hard at all. This sounds like something Snakes could benefit from greatly. And you can do tilts and other things out of a PSC? Frame 4 F-Tilt anyone? Lol

And its so easy to PS Nado anyway. Half of the time I do it without trying lol.

ErikG

Smash Ace
I was thinking about going to KTAR, but I don't feel like driving down from MA to NJ, and then having to go back to college the next morning.

ZTD | TECHnology

I was thinking about going to that. Lots o' monies required though.

Let's talk about how we as Snakes can integrate ErikG's beard into our metagame.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I shaved my beard the other day, went on aib and got my *** kicked every time I attempted to use snake

your skill with snake is directly correlated to your hair. that's why ally rocks the 'fro

ZTD | TECHnology

Coincidentally I do better with Snake when I'm rugged...when I'm clean shaven I do better with DDD.

ITS THE FACIAL HAIR!

Attila_

BRoomer
I'm going to a smashfest tomorrow so ill play with it. My friend said after a few hours of practice he could get it about half the time so it doesn't sound hard at all. This sounds like something Snakes could benefit from greatly. And you can do tilts and other things out of a PSC? Frame 4 F-Tilt anyone? Lol
given that jab to grab/utilt is a combo when you hit an aerial opponent, it's much better than just the first hit of ftilt.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
O-o I never actually connected those two things together before. Does fake facial hair have any form of a similar effect in this area?

ZTD | TECHnology

given that jab to grab/utilt is a combo when you hit an aerial opponent, it's much better than just the first hit of ftilt.
I should elaborate. I mean when the opponent is grounded and you do a successful PSC. In this situation with the Nado I agree totally.

Also Ive been meaning to ask you this since Ive met you...what is your sig lol

@Ralph: I dont know but we can test ;)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Wow PSC is easy :laugh: went into training mode and tested with mines got it in like 15 mins you cant hit A too fast after you PS or like nothin happens theres a slight delay then u hit a. Ima start trying to use this against nados.

also does any1 else know about the really situational double c4 glitch thing? where u get 2 booms for one c4. i saw a fl snake do it at a tourney and i was lmfao so hard.

Attila_

BRoomer
I should elaborate. I mean when the opponent is grounded and you do a successful PSC. In this situation with the Nado I agree totally.

Also Ive been meaning to ask you this since Ive met you...what is your sig lol
my sig? just shaya saying im a champ :D

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I was thinking about going to KTAR, but I don't feel like driving down from MA to NJ, and then having to go back to college the next morning.
There are a couple of players coming from MA like Fatal, Bloodcross, Pelca, and a couple more I don't remember. If possible you should try to contact them for a ride if you'd like to come.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Yo putting a random thought here since I currently don't have a Wii to test this.

I remember TC mentioning C4 detonate -> footstool -> fastfall -> jab cancel fsmash,

I was wondering if we can do something like C4 detonate -> footstool -> C4 plant -> fastfall -> jab cancel -> FH C4 detonate and repeat with footstool.

Can someone test if this works? if it does we could have a really situational infinte of our own.

I do not think it will work. Falco had to platform cancel in order to do a true laserlock on people he footstooled. I doubt snake could fall fast enough to land and then jab someone when someone with falco's falling speed could not.

But, I will give it a shot.

Edit: Yeah, even doing it frame by frame, I could not get snake to land fast enough. On second thought, this might work on someone who has a slower falling speed than Snake does. Although, I would have to try it again.

ZTD | TECHnology

Yo putting a random thought here since I currently don't have a Wii to test this.

I remember TC mentioning C4 detonate -> footstool -> fastfall -> jab cancel fsmash,

I was wondering if we can do something like C4 detonate -> footstool -> C4 plant -> fastfall -> jab cancel -> FH C4 detonate and repeat with footstool.

Can someone test if this works? if it does we could have a really situational infinte of our own.
This seems like it might be possible...I'll look into it later this week ands get back to you on it.Though you'd probably have to read their DI when they get hit out of C4..though it doesnt seem like a giant issue.

I am still testing some stuff revolving around tech chasing that was mentioned in the last thread. All situational stuff but it could help. I figure since I dont get the chance to play people as much as I would like I could at least test some other stuff.

EDIT: Dammit. Shmot, I meant to ask about your avatar lol My bad.

Xiao-Xiao

Smash Journeyman
shmot's avatar is a scene from Dragonball of Master Roshi performing what seems to be Snake's utilt. I likes looks its a parody of snake's broken hitbox for utilt imo

Attila_

BRoomer
yeah that's right. master roshi's utilt is just as broken as snake's.

someone posted it on these boards ages ago, and i stole it ;)

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
I don't have much to contribute but we could all work on perfecting our momentum cancelling. Snake relies on his ability to survive a long time and this is just an easy thing we can to do to make him live even longer. Remember: fastfall any aerial for vertical mc, and airdodge -> jump for horizontal.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I don't have much to contribute but we could all work on perfecting our momentum cancelling. Snake relies on his ability to survive a long time and this is just an easy thing we can to do to make him live even longer. Remember: fastfall any aerial for vertical mc, and airdodge -> jump for horizontal.
Why add jump? It pushes you farther back which can possibly kill you when you wouldnt have died.

Attila_

BRoomer
jumping definitely makes you live longer horizontally. upB straight of jump helps even more.

i remember a while ago, i read on the fox boards that fox lives best if he follows up a momentum cancel aerial with a wavebounce shine. would we be the same way?

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
Why add jump? It pushes you farther back which can possibly kill you when you wouldnt have died.
Actually it's the opposite, jumping is what cancels his horizontal momentum. The reason you do an airdodge is to cancel out some of the hitstun to jump sooner than you would normally be able to. Also, cypher doesn't actually help in Snake's momentum cancelling, but you'd probably want to be using it anyway since you usually want to recover high.

Attila_

BRoomer
You sure about cypher not helping? I defs think it accelerates his diagonal movement helping with cancelling moment. I seem to live better with it too.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
jumping definitely makes you live longer horizontally. upB straight of jump helps even more.

i remember a while ago, i read on the fox boards that fox lives best if he follows up a momentum cancel aerial with a wavebounce shine. would we be the same way?
It's worth testing, I know that Zelda can do the same thing with a wavebounce neutral b

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Fox and Zelda both stall in the air when they do their shine/bluecrystalthingy. Perhaps its this property in the move that allows this to be a viable option when momentum cancelling..

Snake.. is a fat tub of lard who drops like a hippo regardless of whether he throws a Nade or c4.. Maybe the nikita would work? Doesn't seem smart though..

Top Bottom