• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beating Tornado: A quick guide

NNID
Budget_Player
Figured it's time to contribute something to this boards.

So we had this thread, which stopped updating. Reasonable enough; after all, there's a very large number of moves that will beat tornado (i.e. everything from above). So instead of going down and listing each move that will, let's instead just go over how to beat tornado.

Ignoring the scrawled numbers on this image, these are the hitbubbles for MK's tornado (the repeating part, anyways) made visible. They have various qualities; the upper ones hit at a 30-degree angle inwards, the bottom one straight up with different hitbox qualities if the opponent is grounded or aerial, they do one damage each and they repeat each frame. Also, they have normal priority (I'm fairly sure; it isn't transcendent like most of the rest of his moveset though).
Those last two bits are the only ones that matter. MK's tornado is so hard to beat because you basically can't hit it head-on. The hitboxes on the side will flat-out beat any hitbox that does less than 11 damage. If it doesn't do 11 damage or more and touches them before it hits MK, it won't break tornado.

You'll notice how there's that big fat weak spot on the top. If you're smart, you will very, very rarely be hit from above while tornadoing. Because the hitboxes aren't there, any move that hits you before it hits the hitbubbles will knock you out of the tornado.

However, if you want to beat tornado from the side, just doing 11 damage isn't enough. The hitboxes are massively disjointed. If you hit one of them with a hitbox that does 11 or more damage, if the MK is grounded you may get a clash animation (not sure about this one, I think it's happened to me once), otherwise nothing will happen (that particular hitbox will be broken, but it's replaced by another on the very next frame). In fact, if it isn't disjointed, then your hurtbox will fly right into the range of the next tornado hitbubble, and you'll be trapped. So if you want to assault it through the hitboxes, you not only need to do 11% or more, but you also need a disjoint long enough to hit MK's main body before the tornado hitboxes catch you. This is extremely hard for some characters (luigi comes to mind; he literally cannot beat tornado unless he attacks from the top).

EDIT:

k, so.

It's only grounded moves that satisfy the 11% and proper disjoint conditions that will beat tornado. Any normal priority aerial will be swallowed by tornado. You're getting hit by Marth's aerials because they're hitting through the top. Marth's fair does not head-on beat tornado, nor does Diddy's fair, DK's bair, Snake's bair, or anything that does 11%+ and reaches MK so long as it's in the air.

Edit: Additionally, aerial moves do not have real priority. The way aerial "priority" works is merely interaction between hitboxes and hurtboxes. Aerials (that don't belong to Olimar) cannot clash with each other EVER. Whoever's hitbox touches the other's hurtbox first will win the exchange. Aerials often trade because of this.
So aerials will NEVER beat tornado, unless they hit from the top.

Transcendant-priority attacks don't interact with hitboxes. This is why falco's lazer and Diddy's bananas will always hit you out of tornado, as will MK's aerials. You don't need any particular damage with attacks like that, but you do need enough of a disjoint to hit through the hitboxes before they catch your hurtbox.

Bombs (TL's, Link's, nades) will interact with your hitbox and then explode. These, in the rule, have hitboxes that will not clash, and a fairly large explosion radius, so there's really no escaping them. Don't get hit by these. Stupid sexy snake.

TL;DR:
In order to beat tornado an attack must:
-hit from the top, avoiding the hitboxes altogether (dairs from the top, everyone has 'em)
-Do more than 11 damage with a considerably disjointed hitbox on the ground (example: marth fsmash)
-Have transcendent priority with a considerably disjointed hitbox/projectile/invincibility (example: Falco laser, diddy bananas, marth upB)
-be a projectile that explodes on contact with a hitbox (bombs and grenades)

In order to keep people from beating your tornado:
-stay above them with it. Don't just blindly tornado when someone is above you, you will usually be punished. If you want to blindly spam moves against people above you, that's what uair is for.
-Space and zone carefully with it if you know your opponent has long, powerful disjointed hitboxes and/or great mobility
-Never tornado a diddy who has a banana. It will not end well for you. Don't tornado into grenades either, it will similarly not end well for you.

EDIT: Worth noting that you cannot SDI tornado. No, really. SDI does not work on tornado. It has no hitlag, therefore you cannot SDI out.

Most of this I figured out while hacking around on MK's tornado in PSA. Any comments/corrections/etc are welcome. Not the greatest help for us, but someone might like it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
-Never tornado a snake who is in neutral position (especially with a nade), or a diddy who has a banana. It will not end well for you.
actually depending on how and when snake has pulled the grenade him holding it makes him vulnerable to being tornado'd

don't **** with diddy though lol

Player-4

See you in 25 years
actually depending on how and when snake has pulled the grenade him holding it makes him vulnerable to being tornado'd

don't **** with diddy though lol
Exactly this^

When he pulls nades is actually the best time to nado him, you gotta practice it, but nadoing his head while he's holding a nade is a free nado because he drops his nade on the ground

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Pretty great and straightforward write-up.

Thanks for this.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Waaaaait.

Swordguard on the IC boards said it took 13% to break the nado. You say 11%.

???

NNID
Budget_Player
It should be 11%, unless I missed something in the coding.

Basically, whenever two hitboxes interact, if they are within 10% of each other, then they clash if they're on the ground (or follow very different rules in the air, which I'm not 100% sure on). These very different rules lead to any attack doing less than 11% (10% more than tornado does) trading hitboxes with one of tornado's hitboxes (which refresh every frame, making it a very, very bad trade). However, any hitbox that does 10% more than the other hitbox will flat-out override it. This is the effect you have to rely on. (Of course, you also need the disjoint)

I may be wrong... But somehow I doubt it.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Marth's Fair and Bair don't go through Nado

Up and Down B will though. You really should make a list of moves that beat Tornado.

NNID
Budget_Player
DownB only beats tornado if you're slow and careless about it, you can always dodge his attack on it.
Fair doesn't have the reach to beat tornado? Not even the tipper? Why do I keep on getting hit by those moves out of tornado...

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I'm not saying you should be getting hit by Down B, I'm just plainly saying it beats Nado, don't you get what I'm saying?

I was playing Marth tonight and all my Fairs were getting eaten by Nados

Linkshot

Smash Hero
The tipper is not big enough to both pierce the hitbox and hit MK.
However, fAir can beat it by using the downswing to smack the top of MK, avoiding the hitboxes.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
k, so.

It's only grounded moves that satisfy the 11% and proper disjoint conditions that will beat tornado. Any normal priority aerial will be swallowed by tornado. You're getting hit by Marth's aerials because they're hitting through the top. Marth's fair does not head-on beat tornado, nor does Diddy's fair, DK's bair, Snake's bair, or anything that does 11%+ and reaches MK so long as it's in the air.

Luigi's up smash beats tornado from the sides and bottom. It's crazy disjointed from behind Luigi's head.

lol, I made that image with the numbers.

Edit: Additionally, aerial moves do not have real priority. The way aerial "priority" works is merely interaction between hitboxes and hurtboxes. Aerials (that don't belong to Olimar) cannot clash with each other EVER. Whoever's hitbox touches the other's hurtbox first will win the exchange. Aerials often trade because of this.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Marth's side B also beats nado because dancing blade has transcendent priority

Max Ketchum

Yes, he established that. Marth's up B and Counter beat tornado because they're invincible and transcendent as well.

Max Ketchum

"Transcendant-priority attacks don't interact with hitboxes. This is why falco's lazer and Diddy's bananas will always hit you out of tornado, as will MK's aerials. You don't need any particular damage with attacks like that, but you do need enough of a disjoint to hit through the hitboxes before they catch your hurtbox."

NNID
Budget_Player
k, so.

Luigi's up smash beats tornado from the sides and bottom. It's crazy disjointed from behind Luigi's head.

lol, I made that image with the numbers.

I knew I had something funny. Thanks for this.

I'm too lazy to keep a well-updated list, but I'll update the OP with info from this post.

Max Ketchum

Why is a list of moves necessary? It's significantly easier to use your own judgment for percents and ranges of ground moves.

BSP

Smash Legend
Doesn't every character have at least one move that can beat the tornado?

Max Ketchum

Uh, nope. Don't really care about that. I think it's kind of common knowledge what beats tornado and what doesn't, especially given the content of this guide.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Doesn't every character have at least one move that can beat the tornado?
Pit gets ***** by it all day. His F-tilt technically could beat the Tornado in terms of damage/disjoint if I recall, but it doesn't hit high enough to be consistent.

And Luigi's U-smash (as well as Mario's) does beat the Tornado BPC. I believe Luigi's U-smash is invincible at the head, which essentially is the disjoint he needs. And of course it meets the damage requirement. A well-timed Up-angled F-smash can do the trick as well as I recall.

Max Ketchum

I'm fairly sure Luigi's fsmash doesn't work because he moves his hand forward without hitboxes first.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Top Bottom