• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BC Melee Rankings: Late Fall 2012

Sion

Island of Horizon
why? unless someone makes top 10, there are too many variables to account for.

plus, some of us don't even get the chance to go to nationals. why should they have a disadvantage?

i think nationals shouldn't really be considered unless you do really, really well.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
why? unless someone makes top 10, there are too many variables to account for.

plus, some of us don't even get the chance to go to nationals. why should they have a disadvantage?

i think nationals shouldn't really be considered unless you do really, really well.
By only comparing the players in this region to others in the same region, it really narrows the scope of things. Nationals are the only tournaments that really matter. And to say they'd have to come top 10 for it to count for anything is absolutely rediculous. Seeing as how the top like 50 players at a national would probably be good enough to beat half the people on our PR.

People who don't go OoS need to step up and show more passion for the game. Even if it's just going to like a gameclucks or something. Money shouldn't be an issue there. There are more than 15 melee players in the world. Comparing ourselves to such a small percentage of smashers and using JUST that to figure out PR placements really seems narrow minded and ignorant.

Geist

Smash Master
But with nationals you don't have a consistent scale of reference. At locals, there's a consistent comparitive skill level you can base rankings off of since everyone is playing against eachother. In nationals there is no control over the pools you're put into, and when they're as ridiculously stacked like in genesis, this quickly makes ranking irrelevant.

booshk

Smash Lord
But with nationals you don't have a consistent scale of reference. At locals, there's a consistent comparitive skill level you can base rankings off of since everyone is playing against eachother. In nationals there is no control over the pools you're put into, and when they're as ridiculously stacked like in genesis, this quickly makes ranking irrelevant.
^
geistoes

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
I agree with the points you've made. I thought dbr did a mediocre job of balancing pools, but at my level, that shouldn't really matter. 1st and even 2nd pools should be auto advance and the pools become more balanced at that point. Rankings become relevant after 2nd pools (assuming theirs 3rd pools and then bracket) because all the scrubs are knocked out by that time. Some lucky few may squeak by but by the time it hits brackets, you're left with ONLY good players. I guess it comes down to the fact that not all of us do attend nationals. Step your game up bc =P

:phone:

Patooty

Smash Ace
I agree with the points you've made. I thought dbr did a mediocre job of balancing pools, but at my level, that shouldn't really matter. 1st and even 2nd pools should be auto advance and the pools become more balanced at that point. Rankings become relevant after 2nd pools (assuming theirs 3rd pools and then bracket) because all the scrubs are knocked out by that time. Some lucky few may squeak by but by the time it hits brackets, you're left with ONLY good players. I guess it comes down to the fact that not all of us do attend nationals. Step your game up bc =P

Says the guy who didn't go to Genesis and didn't make it out of BC pools that one time :bee:

Harrisburg

Smash Journeyman
kinda dumb that your telling bc to step it up and have more passion to go OoS

Maybe its just my point of view but

1) Money
2) its a game

O__________________O

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
But go practically even with manuel and tony in friendlies. Also, the real peeps (like tony) know im about 5th. Tony says i should be above roby, but i disagree with that. I wasn't gunna be placed behind ppl i'm better than. Simple. EGO :)

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Seriously Adam, I can't afford to go to California just for a video game tournament. It's not like smash is, or even close to the most important thing in my life. So excuse me for not agreeing that we need to "be more passionate by going OoS." I'm not going to spend good amounts of money on something less worthwhile than other things of a similar price.

AntoPark

Smash Lord
Hey, BC. The genesis thread's going to get hecka flooded so I thought I might as well give shoutouts to the canadians I met!

Mike, Tahsis, Meta you guys are pretty cool. It's too bad I didn't get a chance to play with you guys besides Meta, but next time for sure, ahah. MONEY MATCH HYPRID, I'VE GOT $100 ON MY BOY. Also, I'm glad you guys found it so amusing that I look like Will. ANYWAY, GOOD STUFF.

Patooty

Smash Ace
sup

I don't **** talk terrible players. That's not fun, just mean lol.
Adam obviously knows how to take everything in stride... some other people don't >.>

I have a flight tomorrow, I'll be in Vancouver for a little bit before I return to Japan again. Let's smashhhhhh!

Patooty

Smash Ace
yayyy tourney!
I'll be in Vancouver until August 8ish. Flight takes off in about 6.5 hours and then I'll be in Vancouver in negative 15minutes.

Top Bottom