• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BC Melee Rankings: Late Fall 2012

Metà

Smash Master
jack is keeping stats for a reason. if you are having trouble with spots 8-10 then you could always revert back to jacks stats to see how the players did against eachother/others. also, in the GTA power rankings for the toronto players, we had an up and comings list so that there was the top 10 along with 3-5 other players that /could/ be on the PR very soon
Yeah, the stats can be a good indication of where people stand relative each other, but keep in mind it's not the be-all-end-all determining factor. Many of the games are not serious tournament sets, and just by Jack keeping record of them, people may put more weight on them than they should.

Stats are great, tournament results are preferred, but ultimately it's up to the panelists' discretion to decide the rankings.

unityole

Smash Lord
i remembered manli came pretty close each game to tony except for maybe 1 or 2 where he got 3 stocked, probably just nervous?

also tiep, ur car okay?? how did u guys go back home on saturday?

dieslow

Smash Ace
lol someone actually goes around the parking lot checking parking receipts? at least its not stolen o_O

btw Manuel I've been playing at my level pretty consistently for awhile now.. i just never get the chance to play u in tourney/MM/etc.

When are u gonna update the PR?

unityole

Smash Lord
btw Manuel I've been playing at my level pretty consistently for awhile now.. i just never get the chance to play u in tourney/MM/etc.

When are u gonna update the PR?
when manli won the last sfu tourney, the one right b4 eric leaves BC, tony was already ******, maybe hes even better now =o

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
so basically, manuel got *****.
Hm, I definitely did that first set in winners'. I do believe that it was me playing poorly under nerves, though. I think I did better in finals, but still not playing at all optimally... I wouldn't be surprised if we were to play again and the results were in reverse. But I guess that's to be left for the November 8th tournament, which would hopefully be weighted more?

Tiep, I think it is foolish for anyone to consider that last tournament as a major indicator of how things are. Either way, I wouldn't contest that for his performance, Tony should have 1st at present, but I also don't want to give the misconception that it is an easy call of judgment. Even watching the videos, you'll notice I did wayy better vs. you and Ryan, and that I simply did not perform against Tony. Since you yourself say that Ryan has a really good shot against both of is, it follows that there must be something off if I'm getting beat badly by Tony, but I can beat Ryan and Ryan does well against Tony. Right? Not to discredit Tony, I don't think anyone disagrees that he's done really well and is quite talented with all of his characters.

I cannot update the PR until we have consensus. I haven't had agreement from Tiep, but I think Adam and you agree with the following:

1 Tony
2 Manuel
3 Adam
4 Ryan
5 Tiep
6 robyextreme
7 Matt
8 Evan
9 Tim
10 Keith

Also look up Jack's stats, they probably help put things in perspective.

And can someone else make the excel file? I'm far too busy to make it pretty right now.. =[

dieslow

Smash Ace
Manuel's post = Big John

I think it's foolish for anyone to compare players by "so and so beat zo and zo so they should do well against xo and xo"

u follow? just stop johning and beat me next tourney. although i'd put $100 on it saying u wont beat me ;]

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Manuel's post = Big John

I think it's foolish for anyone to compare players by "so and so beat zo and zo so they should do well against xo and xo"

u follow? just stop johning and beat me next tourney. although i'd put $100 on it saying u wont beat me ;]
****! Tony, now I'm more motivated then ever to take you out this weekend ^_^

btw people I WILL be showing up to SFU and my powerlevel will be over nine-thousand.

I dunno... my IC's do pretty darn good against his Falco... should probably just drop him off the list altogether.
lawlz ;)

It's the reason I had you on my list.

unityole

Smash Lord
****! Tony, now I'm more motivated then ever to take you out this weekend ^_^

btw people I WILL be showing up to SFU and my powerlevel will be over nine-thousand.
lawlz ;)

It's the reason I had you on my list.
**** without drink, and try not to smoke. k thanks

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Manuel's post = Big John

That's a pretty defensive stance to take. You don't need to polarize friendly competition by saying things like that =P.

I probably won't be coming to another SFU until Nov. 8th. I got ***** on my chem midterm today.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Yep. I got *****. I didn't finish the last page. I have johns: I skipped the class like 5 times to prepare for physics lab lol. And also, I had many mewtwos to kill last night.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I'm surprised Jack is still even running this show after the last few incidents. (And some I only got to witness lol)

We'll probably walk around further this time, honestly what are the chances we were sitting right under a vent? LOL.

unityole

Smash Lord
I'm surprised Jack is still even running this show after the last few incidents. (And some I only got to witness lol)

We'll probably walk around further this time, honestly what are the chances we were sitting right under a vent? LOL.
chem 121 and phys should be jokes :/ u guys dont need to study for that, smash is more important and u all know it. when u can combo the guy and gimp him 0-death its way more exciting than studying, no one studies, its for panzies.

not sure of what incidents u were saying roby but i can go way back and remember a few.

- john ***** at most of the tournies, same with eric.
- clouderz's first tourney, someone stole Sean's wii-mote also somebody advanced david 2 rounds by writing his name down without him playing the actual match.
- joshZ played cs with us, me and francis found out that he changed the password trying to steal the account, kinda lame for a game account worth less than 10 bucks.
- lots of people missing their **** everywhere
- evan's finger got messed up cause of smash + music
- eric's car was fined for not repay the ticket?
- tiep's car was stolen? not sure whats going on
- adam went nuts while playing dota

theres probably more, but i dont remember it all

dieslow

Smash Ace
i find it frustrating that your johning; no need for it. at least make it a decent john.. saying "i played bad, lulz" is worth nothing. still, im confident that u wont beat me, let alone 6-1 me =P

unityole

Smash Lord
i find it frustrating that your johning; no need for it. at least make it a decent john.. saying "i played bad, lulz" is worth nothing. still, im confident that u wont beat me, let alone 6-1 me =P
maybe its a john but still everyone chokes from time to time. example u and eric didn't perform so well at eric's going away tourney. stuff like this happens. wait till nov8th tourney?

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Lol yeah, I was confused for a second there... (why are they calling him talking chicken?).

Um. Right now. I'll make the new picture thing. Maximum an hour til it's updated. Hopefully no panelist freaks out at me. Tony, we need to find a way to get you involved in the discussion; we don't just kinda toss dice and decide who goes where. Maybe I'll post the discussion with the new list, so y'all can see it.

lol sorry, it's taking a while. It's pretty **** though, hold on...

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Please Read

I know it's a double post. Spare me.

Alright, the new list is up. Discuss! The following is discussion which happened on Facebook.

================================================
Hey guys,

Don't know how the whole thing is going to work using an email for Tony, but here's for the best. Actually, it just came back to me saying he opted out of receiving emails from Facebook, lol. It made sense to start a new thread, so here it is. Discussion? Here's a quick list to debate:

1: Manuel
2: Tony
3: Adam Brown
4: Ryan
5: Tiep
6: RobyExtreme
7: Evan
8: Matt
9: Fox Machine
10: Tim

Of course the bottom 3 or so are really quite hard to distinguish. Other suggestions for those include Keith (who did reasonably well this Saturday), Nathan, Yakal, Xion, and a few others.

Adam Brown
October 13 at 3:49pm
Tony doesn't have facebook? wtf.

Anyways, I haven't seen gary play in over a year so I really don't know where he stands other than what i've heard from those of you who went to UBC the other weekend. Based on what you guys said I suppose I can stick him in at 10th.

I think Nathan > Tim. Simply because Nathan can beat even some of the good fox/falco players in BC with his IC.

Also, I think we should put John back on. He still *****. >.>

My new list:

1. Manuel
2. Tony
3. Adam
4. Ryan
5. Tiep
6. Roby
7. Evan
8. Matt
9. Nathan
10. Gary

with John

1. Manuel
2. Tony
3. Adam
4. John
5. Ryan
6. Tiep
7. Roby
8. Evan
9. Matt
10. Nathan

Manuel C.
October 13 at 4:40pm
That last list looks pretty good. Has Matt actually been doing well lately, though? Last I remember, he got ***** by like everyone. John is being pretty emo, but he's still coming out and is quite active. We should ask him whether he still wants off, or whether he's fine with being on.

Adam Brown
October 13 at 5:05pm
I'm actually not 100% sure about Matt. I didn't see him play much last weekend and I'm basing his current ranking off of how I've seen him do that last time he turned up the heat. I think when he's playing good, Matt has no trouble beating everyone who's NOT on the list, even some people who are on it >.>

Works soooo boring today x_x. good thing I'm makin $40 an hour BIATCH!

Manuel C.
October 13 at 5:06pm
I expect a steak dinner, then. I've never seen Matt turn on the heat, just get 4 stocked by Tim.

Adam Brown
October 13 at 5:29pm
For real? 4 stocked? o.O

I guess Tim proved he's preettty decent. I dunno though, I'm still thinking Matt > Tim. but.... 4 stocked?

Adam Brown
BTW, i do owe you a good dinner out some time. so, lets go this week sometime or on the weekend. Maybe Cactus club? or Japanese? up to you bro.

Adam Brown
BTW, i do owe you a good dinner out some time. so, lets go this week sometime or on the weekend. Maybe Cactus club? or Japanese? up to you bro.

Manuel C.
October 13 at 5:30pm
Lol I don't understand. John said that him seemed to be good only against space animals...maybe that's his downfall? Tiep, what do you think? And what of Keith?

Adam Brown
October 13 at 8:38pm
Keith I didn't see play, at all. Heard he did decent though. My bad for not showing up earlier guys. I probably won't defend my 8-10 too strongly as i haven't seen anything from Keith or Gary in a WHILE.

Manuel C.
October 13 at 11:48pm
Well, Gary is just good cuz he's pretty technical and a smart player, but he hasn't come to a tournament, though he wanted to come to SFU, don't know what happened there.

Keith beat me once during the round robin. I think he also beat Roby during round robin too. He did all around quite well, better than Matt even. Maybe he should stay at 10th? I don't even know about Nathan. We need these guys (the 6 or so contenders for spots 7-10) to do a round robin with the players above them. Especially how they do against each other. Maybe next Saturday?

And invite Keith, Yakal, Nathan, Evan, Matt, (Tim can't be there), Gary, and xion to be there.

Lol Japanese sounds great.

Adam Brown
October 14 at 6:57pm
Yah, we need to do further testing with them. ****.

Japanese fo sho, when?

Tiep Bui
October 14 at 9:50pm
1: Tony
2: Manuel
3: Ryan
4: Adam
7: Tim
10: Nathan

I'll elaborate later/if necessary. sry guys, been pretty much working 13 hours a day 6 days a week recently so I haven't had a lot of time to do anything.

Manuel C.
October 14 at 11:42pm
Necessary. Hope to hear from you soon.

Adam Brown
October 15 at 6:03pm
wow, Tim @ 7th. Looks like further discussion WILL be needed, lol.

Adam Brown
October 15 at 6:03pm
Good list though Tiep =)

Adam Brown
October 17 at 1:59am
Tonys list:

1st: Manuel
2rd: Me
3th: Adam
4th: Ryan
5th: Roby
6th: Tiep
7th: Evan
8th: Matt
9th: Tim
10th: Keith

Manuels list:

1: Manuel
2: Tony
3: Adam Brown
4: Ryan
7: Evan
10: Tim

Tieps list:

1: Tony
2: Manuel
3: Ryan
4: Adam
7: Tim
10: Nathan

Adams list:

1. Manuel
2. Tony
3. Adam
4. Ryan
5. Tiep
6. Roby
7. Evan
8. Matt
9. Nathan
10. Gary

Combined list if each panelist had 1 vote per rank...

1. Manuel
2. Tony
3. Adam
4. Ryan
5. Tiep
6. Roby
7. Evan
8. Matt
9. Tim
10. Gary

Nathan was a hair behind gary in raw votes/rank of votes as gary had two 9th's and one 10th and nathan had one 9th and one 10th. Perhaps further discussion is needed for spots 9-10? What do you guys think?

I, personally, would approve of this list for the time being.

Adam Brown
October 17 at 2:01am
actually, matt and tim are rly close too. **** this is tough :/

Manuel C.
October 18 at 9:19am
Here, I saw a lot of support for Keith. Gary hasn't shown up; I played with him for 6 hours yesterday, he's definitely good, but he hasn't show up to tournament at all (maybe he'd choke? probably not), and we need to go by your criteria, or we'd be hypocrites. I think the better combined rank would be, as of today before the tournament:

1) Manuel
2) Tony
3) Adam
4) Ryan
5) Tiep
6) Robyextreme (who has been doing -extreme-ly well)
7) Evan
8) Matt
9) Tim
10) Keith

Manuel C.
October 18 at 11:55pm
It's quite late, so I'll be brief.

My past list stands, except Matt above Evan. Keith also did well today, check the stats once our friend Jack puts them up. Mind you, this was a small smashfest tournament with few contenders. I think for now it's safe to say Donkey Kong above Evan though, at least until November 8, the larger tournament. Adam didn't show up til later, like a noob. Ryab played pretty well too. Tiep did well. Extreme showed up late like a noob. Tony did quite well. I did crappy. Would we agree on:

1) Manuel
2) Tony
3) Adam
4) Ryan
5) Tiep
6) Robyextreme
7) Matt
8) Evan
9) Tim
10) Keith

?

At least until Nov 8 tournament in 3 weeks?

Adam Brown
October 20 at 1:31am
My opinion on things has changed after saturday, and some more contemplating.

1. Tony
2. Manuel
3. Adam
4. Ryan
5. Tiep
6. Roby
7. Evan
8. Matt
9. Nathan
10. Gary, even though I've only seen Tim recently and have to somehow decide from what you guys said about him >.>

Manuel, apparently tiep and tonys newest list have him above you. I gave it some thought and I think this is true. I say this mostly because of the fact that tony stopped playing melee for a while, almost completely, and yet was able to improve even more than before. He keeps improving while I think you've slowed down alot recently, although u still ****. I didn't see the matches but I heard it was something of a massacre, have to get'em back next time. I vote tony as first >.>

Manuel C.
October 20 at 8:27am
Alrighty, that's still good. To put things in perspective, though, it was a smashfest tournament with $2 pot. Even if I played poorly, I'm not sure that the weighting of such a tournament would be so influential. Let's keep that in mind.

I'm unwilling to put Gary on, just because he hasn't shown up. I disagree that Nathan is better than Keith. Keith 2-0 Evan, and took a match off Roby extreme and almost best him. I think Tim proved himself.

To accommodate your guys' list:

1 Tony
2 Manuel
3 Adam
4 Ryan
5 Tiep
6 Roby
7 Matt
8 Evan
9 Tim
10 Keith

Sound good?

Adam Brown
October 20 at 3:15pm
Keith shows up 10th on two lists that I can see. Nathan shows up 9th and 10th. Need to get further inpur from tony/tiep on this I think. Also, is it mutally agreed that matt should be above evan? I THINK it's only you that thinks so manuel, althought I'm not certain.

My final list:

1. Tony
2. Manuel
3. Adam
4. Ryan
5. Tiep
6. Roby
7. Evan
8. Matt
9. Nathan
10. Tim

Manuel C.
October 20 at 3:18pm
Well, for starters, Matt took matches off of players he wasn't expected to. Keith has done well at each tournament. I can't remember Nathan doing..anything. Just being mediocre with ice climbers, I still 3 stocked him by jumping around and pressing down B.

Adam Brown
October 20 at 8:54pm
yah well u could 3 stock most people under 8th by doing that. Nathan went even with Tony's falco in a crew battle. Tony is consistent. This was reason enough for me.

It's getting tiresome. Lets just go with the list you have manuel. It's really so close I wouldn't feel it as UNJUST to have the list you just posted. Lets update this thing.

Manuel C.
October 20 at 9:08pm
Crew battle isn't for money, man! We are going by the criteria posted on the first page, aren't we? Why not just throw Robbie and David back on there? Or Eric? I beat Tony in crews, does that mean anything? Or does the $2 smashfest tournament mean more? I'm saying my list just so it's a little more accurate, I think a much more accurate list can be made after November 8th.

Someone make the picture, I lost the file when my computer crashed.

Tiep Bui
October 21 at 1:01am
wait wait... lol. Please don't update this thing until we ALL come to an agreement. I thought we agreed on at least that criteria from the beginning.

1. Manuel you seem to disagree with Tony being above you. I was thinking he was above you before this Saturday so you can't say that I'm being "mostly influenced by what happened last" (paraphrasing). What happened this Saturday only further showed me what I had thought. As well as it showing Tony, who thought that he could have a shot at #1, being in a really close position with you but not thinking that he had "done enough" yet. Not only did he win this Saturday, but he did it by beating you as well. Twice. Not to mention either, that his stats are overall better than yours, as well as his stats being better than yours on a "you vs him" basis. (8-3 for tony)

I'm only pointing all this out to show you my point of view, since it seems like that latest list you posted was only for the sake of "accommodating " our lists.

2. My latest list:
(1) Tony
(2) Manuel
(3) Ryan
(4) Adam
(5) Tiep
(6) Roby
(7) Matt
(8) Tim
(9) Keith
(10) Evan or Nathan

3. I propose we dismiss sandbagging as valid. If a match is unimportant, we need to assume both parties are "trying" the same amount. However little that may be. If it is an important match, then we need to assume both parties are trying hard. Sandbagging as a valid "oh that doesn't count" should only ever happen if you know 1 person is trying and 1 person isn't, which may be impossible to demonstrate.

4. My list disagrees with Adam in:
(a) Adam vs Ryan

Not much for me to say here. Adam wasn't there for the last 2 weeks for the tourney so it's hard to say how he would've done, or how Ryan would've done against him. If nobody budges on this one, then I concede the vote via majority kicked my arse lol. Ryan just seems so close to Manuel and Tony that it's usually anybody's game. Of course this may be the case with Adam as well, in which case, Tony/Manuel would know better than I do, so I would also concede in that point as well.

(b) Matt vs Evan

Matt's DK has good spacing, aerials, and is decently fast. I haven't played Evan in a million years. Also, Evan loses to Keith + I think Tim would beat Evan + Evan is pretty close to those not in contention for PR

(c) Tim vs Nathan/Evan

Tim kicks *** lol. He's Eric but with VERY limited experience. His tech skill is all there, enough so that it masks his inexperience against _any_ player under Roby.

Well, I said that I would elaborate, so now it's all there. It's 1am now, I think I'll go to be soon lol.

Manuel C.
October 21 at 2:43am
All valid, of course. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we've had miserable little tournaments, wherein I've done very miserably. In my mind, nothing Tony has done has proven himself to be obviously better than me, but of course it makes sense to accommodate others' opinions, and Tony above me would better reflect last week's tournament, however small it was. Besides, even if it did have personal implications, all I would have to do is try to do well on Nov. 8. So no worries there.

Adam is just good. But it's stupid of him to not show up cuz he's hung over. Having played both Ryan and Adam, I would still argue for Adam at the moment though.

I agree with what you said about Tim, but you underestimate Evan, I think. I think he's better than both Tim or Keith. Just knowing match-ups and playing jiggly makes him win more matches.

Sleep time.

Adam Brown
October 21 at 11:55am
omg, in depth discussion ftw. I'll post something later.

Tiep Bui
October 23 at 1:50am
Waiting for you now Adam.

I think top 7 is pretty solid now, unless Adam has objections to Matt as 7th. Adam, I want to hear what you have to say before I budge on 8-10.

PS. Tony _NEEDS_ to be in on these conversations. He hasn't done PR stuff before so I think he's got the misconception that it's where we all submit our list to the thread-maker and thread-maker has his way with it. Is it possible for him to join this particular thread? I don't really use facebook so I dunno what we can/can't do.

Adam Brown
October 23 at 6:54pm
1. Tony
2. Manuel
3. Adam
4. Ryan
5. Tiep
6. Roby
7. Evan
8. Matt
9. Tim
10. Keith

Honestly, I can't even say I'm confident with 9 and 10 spots. It's just so ****ing close I'm having a hard time caring (which is my job in the case) but seriously. It's so close. Lets just get something up there and tweak it later if necessary. 1-7/8 is solid IMO. 9 and 10 are always gunna be changing...

Manuel C.
October 23 at 8:17pm
Yeah I'm fine with that list. I tried to include Tony in the list via email but he has FB blocked. Maybe we can PM him the thread?

Can someone make an Excel of it?

=============================================

To this day, Adam has not taken me out for sushi.

AIDS

Smash Lord
I say it is fairly accurate, but from playing Evan last sunday I feel he should be moved down more. He might of had a very bad day, or something else. But either way so do we all, so I am making this sugestion john free. I feel the list is accurate for rankings 1-6. But I feel for 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th it should be:

7 Matt
8 Tim/Keith
9th Tim/Keith
10th Evan

Tim and myself were pretty even through out the day, we tied 1-1 in pools. Also Evan on sunday was very motivated to put in a stat match and I won both games 2 stock and 1 stock. Roby also beat Evan very well. (Plus he beat his marth with pichu) This is the only time I have played Evan in a long time plus it is very recent so this is how I feel about the issue.
Discuss?

Top Bottom