• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Bayonetta Technique Compendium and Q&A

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
This is false. Day 1 for glory, I SDI'd up and away out of bayonetta's rapid jab with pikachu. Just gotta mash really hard.

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Bayos jab has a startup of 9 frames. If you're both in neutral you shouldnt let her get that on you since thats 19 damage right there. Stick to your own jabs and tilts to beat her jabs and tilts. other then that just remember bayo has to play defensivly so just know when to throw out moves and approach. Watch out for her Dtilt, Utilts since she can start a vicious combo outta them
Alright, will do. I appreciate it.

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
As the title would suggest, how does Bayonetta do against shields, and which moves are positive against them?

Discuss.

EDIT: Zer0 has released a video saying she loses hard to patient play and shields.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
She does pretty well against shields. bAir is safe on shield and you can place your nAir well to make it safe as well.
Facekick is also safe on shield, and bullet arts is a safe way to dance around in the neutral, not minding shields at all.
Since you can throw out hitboxes 24/7, getting a grab in isn't too hard either.
Watch out with your heel slide though, it can get shield grabbed quite easily. It's a punish move, not a neutral move.

Giova

Smash Cadet
As the title would suggest, how does Bayonetta do against shields, and which moves are positive against them?

Discuss.
Grab. Huehuehue

Jk, well you can jab with bullet arts at the edge for high shield damage.

You can pressure with dtilt, is very hard to punish dtilt from shield.

Nair and bair are good poking tools to people that stays in shield.

Basically you would want to grab and throw offstage or in the air, bayo have good edge guard and anti air

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Around 140% by the edge, nothing glamourous.

I wish her short hop let me tomohawk more effectively, I can't grab anyone cuz they'll just get out of the way

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Bullet Arts are amazing against shield. They also go through villagers tree which is hilarious. Also can some some confirm that dtilt BA has lower end lag than standing BA moves?

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
I know dtilt BAs do way more damage because she's using a couple guns rather than just one

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
one ting I like to do on "shield" is actually "jab baiting".

Jab1 on shield, if the opponent holds shield I do Bullet Art to try to chip off shielddamage or bait out a shielddrop.
if shielddrop I continue with the full jab sequence (or Jab123 > DTilt), but if the shield is still there I repeat the loop with Jab2 and Jab3 until its shield is so small so it will be hit anyway by either DTilt or during the JabLoop

RPK

Smash Lord
I have a question about the 2nd Witch Twist in this combo. Everytime I would go for it, the second one would never come out despite me double jumping to initiate the 2nd Witch Twist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Fu3Air2Mw
Any tips? Its just not coming out for me at all, or it just doesnt come out fast enough and I would have to delay it.

EDIT: Nvm...I'm bad...Just got it two times in a row...

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Bullet Arts are amazing against shield. They also go through villagers tree which is hilarious. Also can some some confirm that dtilt BA has lower end lag than standing BA moves?
Dtilt has the fastest endlag and most damage being its shooting 2 guns. Its the most useful.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman

Discuss.

EDIT: Zer0 has released a video saying she loses hard to patient play and shields.
I would say every match should be played with patience and good use of shields. That said, Bayo is a patience character that thrives on converting that patience into explosive damage and killing combos.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I have a question about the 2nd Witch Twist in this combo. Everytime I would go for it, the second one would never come out despite me double jumping to initiate the 2nd Witch Twist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Fu3Air2Mw
Any tips? Its just not coming out for me at all, or it just doesnt come out fast enough and I would have to delay it.

EDIT: Nvm...I'm bad...Just got it two times in a row...
Make sure you don't hold b when you do the first Witch Twist. Holding B will cause you to fire bullets, which gives your later IASA frames and thus you can't jump out as soon.

Gattsu

Smash Rookie
NNID
despiarinducing
I find myself constantly getting hit with this move but i can't seem to counter it in anyway

Silvia

Smash Ace
NNID
SilviaHedgecat
I've noticed that when Bayonetta shows the dark angel text before she shoots or attack Im able to get away from it sometimes, and other times I cant. Why is that?

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Is witch twist into witch twist a thing? Or is it just another combo that can be DI'd out of?
You can't DI out at low %s.

As for being weak vs shields, I think that that's nonsense. She is amazing vs shield. And just because you can't get combos off your grab doesn't mean you can't throw to counter shield.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
This seems to be the Q&A thread, so here's a question.

Does dsmash hit low enough to work on the 2-frame ledge snap window?
I'm not 100% sure but I remember doing that in a match, so I'd say yes.
Don't quote me on that though.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
This seems to be the Q&A thread, so here's a question.

Does dsmash hit low enough to work on the 2-frame ledge snap window?
I know it hits an opponent on the ledge, so it should atleast hit the second frame, but it most likely hits both.

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Not sure if this belongs here or the Bayo metsgame didcussion thread but..

How should I be approaching with Bayonetta and what should I be doing in neutral

TY

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi

How should I be approaching with Bayonetta and what should I be doing in neutral

TY
so far as I know, its best to "bait and punish" nature that fits Bayonetta the most as her approach options is quite limited.
so in the neutral, its better to use "NAir Bullet Art", "Bullet Climax", "DTilt Bullet Art" are quite good at forcing them to approach while BAir, ABK and dABK is somewhat good at approaching as they are quite good against shield

Giova

Smash Cadet

TY
It does belong to the metagame discussion lol

Answering your question tho, you should space and stay in your shield, don't jump, just wait and punish. If the bayo is the one that spam grounded side b, just shield grab. Bayo is super strong against chars that jumps. Upclose use attacks that starts at frames below 7. Tilts and stuff. So spacing, shield and not jumping are your friends. Also rolling behind is good, bayo doesnt have attacks that hits both ways

Giova

Smash Cadet
It does belong to the metagame discussion lol

Answering your question tho, you should space and stay in your shield, don't jump, just wait and punish. If the bayo is the one that spam grounded side b, just shield grab. Bayo is super strong against chars that jumps. Upclose use attacks that starts at frames below 7. Tilts and stuff. So spacing, shield and not jumping are your friends. Also rolling behind is good, bayo doesnt have attacks that hits both ways
Lol my answer was the total opposite, idk why I thought was "what can I do against bayonetta*.. Welp

Sonicninja115

Does having a frame 1 airdodge allow Bayonetta to escape previously true combos? And does Time give more time for the opponent to SDI? Or is it negated by other factors?

Megamang

Smash Lord
She is the first with a frame 1 escape option that works in the air.

If its a 'true' combo this shouldn't make a difference, but it means that combos are one frame tighter on bayo than most characters with a f2 airdodge, 1 frame tighter than pika's thunder, and 2 frames tighter than the quick nairs such as yoshi and the mario bros.

Only way this could be more useful is if she had a luma =P

On a serious note, i have been punished for my Bat Within. can you aim the direction it goes, or is it determined when you get hit? It usually is happening before I can react, as I don't really expect it to happen yet.

Sonicninja115

If its a 'true' combo this shouldn't make a difference, but it means that combos are one frame tighter on bayo than most characters with a f2 airdodge, 1 frame tighter than pika's thunder, and 2 frames tighter than the quick nairs such as yoshi and the mario bros.

On a serious note, i have been punished for my Bat Within. can you aim the direction it goes, or is it determined when you get hit? It usually is happening before I can react, as I don't really expect it to happen yet.
I might try testing that later, but what I know so far is that in the air, BW will send Bayonetta straight down a set distance or too the stage. On the ground, bayonetta will teleport behind the opponent.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace

Fairly sure Mac's Up-B is invincible on frame 1 regardless of whether or not it's the aerial version. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Megamang

Smash Lord
According to kuroganehammer, it isn't. But, counter is intangible frame 1.

Deaga

Smash Cadet
I might try testing that later, but what I know so far is that in the air, BW will send Bayonetta straight down a set distance or too the stage. On the ground, bayonetta will teleport behind the opponent.
She doesn't, Spot Dodge bat Within stays in the same place. Or can you control it while you're in bat form? The rolls seem like they go where they "should" go if you didn't trigger bat within, ie forward roll into bat within goes forward, etc. With air dodges into bat within, I get the impression that you fall down the distance you would have fallen normally too. But it could be just me not reacting fast enough, I'm really not sure if you can control it. Just sure it won't auto-teleport behind the opponent.

Sonicninja115

She doesn't, Spot Dodge bat Within stays in the same place. Or can you control it while you're in bat form? The rolls seem like they go where they "should" go if you didn't trigger bat within, ie forward roll into bat within goes forward, etc. With air dodges into bat within, I get the impression that you fall down the distance you would have fallen normally too. But it could be just me not reacting fast enough, I'm really not sure if you can control it. Just sure it won't auto-teleport behind the opponent.
I will test it and make a video showing where you will go from the different BW's. As well as what moves beat BW, Jabs and such.

Megamang

Smash Lord
@Kurogane Hammer KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer Can you look into this and possibly change your info?

Aaaanyways missing Witch Twist isn't nearly as bad as whiffing Rising Uppercut, not only due to the nature of moves but because juggles really rock little mac's world. So i'd say bayo still escapes better, though taking half damage kinda sucks over time.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
@Kurogane Hammer KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer Can you look into this and possibly change your info?

Aaaanyways missing Witch Twist isn't nearly as bad as whiffing Rising Uppercut, not only due to the nature of moves but because juggles really rock little mac's world. So i'd say bayo still escapes better, though taking half damage kinda sucks over time.
Fixed it btw

Deaga

Smash Cadet
Do it faster. Maybe map a shoulder button to jump so you can do Jump > Up B more easily. I'm also pretty sure this is only guaranteed at pretty low %s, otherwise the opponent can just DI away.

Top Bottom