• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Mario freakin Chalmers son!!!

IS THIS GAME RIGGED WTF WAS THAT BULL**** CALL????

AND THEN MARION JUMPS ON LEBRON WITHOUT A CALL WHAT THE HELL???

LAW2222

Smash Journeyman
damnn, so close.
next game mavs make a few more open 3's, chalmers sure as hell isn't getting 4 and mavs win

yeah wait TRG dallas + refs?
i don't think a heat fan should be talking about the refs
especially with the backcourt violation on chalmers

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm sticking with Heat in 6. I wanna see the Heat win in Miami in front of their fans... They deserve it.

But on the flip side if the Heat wanna win this next 2 games and crush the Mav's confidence then by all means go for it.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I was talking about the players...

Heck I could care less about the rest of the fans. Need I remind you I got banned from the Heat forums earlier in the season for defending LeBron and being labeled as a "LeBron homer?"

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm not gonna lie though...it's mind boggling at some of the silly turnovers coming from the Mavs players. Mainly from J-Kidd. He's supposed to be one of the best point guards of all time, and he's making inaccurate and incorrect passes. It leads to easy fast breaks...and well, we know how what happens after that.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
That loss hurt. Chris Bosh finally made a field goal, and Dirk misses his signature move. I agree though there were a lot of silly turnovers from the Mavs...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Jet was just effin ********. He took a corner 3 with LBJ all over him early in the shot clock, and another one later in the game. Barea is not a TRUE 3 point shooter...around 33%, but those were wide open.

Marion sucked too. Peja will always suck. I would just wish they put in Butler instead of Peja.

We can say that next game, Mavs bench will play better, but every game is different -shrugs-.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Those ESPN trolls are just a bunch of tools that live in the moment during the Bulls series this is "LeBron's team" and now after this game it's back to being "Wade's team." Make up your minds idiots.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol yeah. Wade's still got a year or two left before he starts declining.

I asked my friend who he would cheer for if Wade was on a dif team...

"Easy, I'd be a fan of whichever team Wade plays for. I think lebron is a narcissist and bosh is a *****. I would never root for them if they didn't play with wade. **For Wade rather."

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Most of the hate stems from LeBron and just trickles down to the rest of the players.

However I'm still lost over why so many people (not from Cleveland) hate LeBron so much to this day. He made a mistake with "The Decision," he finally apologized for it and said he would have done it differently, and by now he's just doing what he loves and has a legit shot at getting his first ring whether he's the leader of the team or not... I find it funny people still haven't figured out that both Wade and LBJ don't give two ****s over the "leader" debates.

And yet here we are nearly a year later and everyone who isn't a Heat/LBJ fan wants to believe he's the Antichrist. :confused: Oh well.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've already stated my reasons. Not gonna go over it again.

I noticed you and Maaan calling out Bosh for the eye ball injury...after you saw it was swollen...still calling him out?

Jane

Smash Hero
i wrote a nice fat paragraph, but you know what, i'm just gonna go with the easier answer in "lebron james is a bitch."

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
And I'll strike back and say Carlos Boozer is a joke and one of the main reasons the Bulls are currently watching the Heat from their couches. :troll: The rest of the Bulls are pretty cool guys though.

That wasn't directed towards you guys I'm just talking about in general from all over the world the amount of hate LBJ gets is really dumb when you consider the sheer amount of people.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I've always liked Kobe as a player. Not the greatest role model off the court but he's the closest thing we've had to Jordan in this era so he demands respect.

At this point it seems as if LeBron will never get his respect thanks to "The Decision." Rings or no rings.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
My hate for Lebron stems from the fact that he takes something like 4 steps before every dunk and never gets called for traveling. Not only that, they'll show the replays of him traveling over and over and over and not a single commentator mentions it.

I wish people would stop talking about "The Decision" and start talking about how he breaks the rules every single game and gets away with it.

Smash Master
I loved watching Wade his rookie year. He had veteran moves even then (convincing pump fake, bank shot, etc...) Even though critics said he couldn't shoot he'd never try to prove them wrong. He was constantly in attack mode and he played 18 feet and in; not easy for a guard. He took less than 100 3's in his first 2 seasons combined and still averaged 20 points per game. He averaged around 30% with those 3s even though I imagine a lot of them were end-of-quarter heaves, so it's not like he couldn't shoot them if he didn't feel like being aggressive. I liked how he was a superstar and yet he dove for everything. This guy hit the deck harder and more often than anyone I'd ever seen. You remember those fall down 7 times stand up 8 commercials? Yeah. I'm pretty sure we all saw an injury coming, so nobody was surprised when he tore up his shoulder and missed all those games. It was still tragic though. When I saw that I was sure DWade would become the next TMac. I was wrong, but he hasn't been the same player since. He doesn't hit the floor as often. He plays behind the arc a lot more now, and he's become more of a diva. It's a shame, really. I'm not sure how much of it has to do with the psychological effects of that injury, but I'm sure it's not nothing.

Edit: All 9 heat players who played save Joel Anthony and Juwan Howard had at least 3 fouls, and none of the Mavs players save Mahinmi had more than 2, yet all anyone can talk about is the backcourt violation. You guys are haters.

Edit2: Take the above poster as an example. I'm with you dude. Refs definitely love LeBron. That's why he's taken ten free throws these 3 games against Dallas. Wanna guess how many Dirk has? Or Jason Terry? Or Marion? Or Chandler? I mean come on. Intuition works to an extent, but at some point numbers have to matter.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Bored: Yes, I will still make fun of him for that. :D

I said I'm sorry if he really got hurt, but seeing that drive live was the funniest damn thing I've seen in a while.

Numbers and TRG, pleeeease stop talking about refs. :( (Numbers, in hindsight, this isn't directed at you as much as I made it sound. lol)
I'm not here to argue calls and whatnot, but almost every call in that game was made correctly except Marion jumping into Bron at the end and the Chalmers backcourt. I cannot stand anybody talking about referees because it sounds like the ultimate cop out. That was a fantastic game in a so far fantastic series.

Focus on what really happened. Chalmers stepped up. Wade stepped up. Bosh made a wide open shot. Jet ruined the Mavs 4th quarter momentum with an awful shot. Jet and JJ were missing 3's and Marion missed 2's. The Heat were in control all game, and it took Dirk's 15 points in the 4th to make it close. Maybe if the undersized Miami team wouldn't be so damn small they could box out Dirk without fouling TWICE. And I'm a fan of big man basketball, so seeing Tyson Chandler work his *** off all game and only get two foul calls is a travesty. Especially when he got called for a loose ball foul after Anthony put his arm around his.

Stop with the foul call stuff guys, it's childish.

As for the Wade love, I loved his game. I hate how he calls for fouls all the time. I respect greatly what he did with the Heat pre-James.

However:
End-Of-Quarter-Heaves don't affect your shooting percentage like that though, he's a bad shooter by the league's standards. There are plenty of players who hit the deck harder than him, and more impressively they do it on defense. :\
Tony Parker is on the ground every drive, and it's not a good thing, it's annoying at times. lol
And as for his injury, it's a shame. I never want to see players injured, but don't forget how he injured it. He reached for a steal on a drive to the basket. That's horrible defense. You reach, I teach. :\

Don't get me wrong, I still love his game. It's just, with the exception of him winning a championship, he would've had a hard time making it into the Hall of Fame. But he won a championship on his own, he'll make it one day.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Wade's shoulder injury from way back when was just a freak accident. He was going for a steal vs Battier, arm got caught I believe with Battier's and pulled in the wrong direction. I honestly get scared everytime my arm gets locked like that, because if a person yanks hard enough, a dislocation or injury is not far away.

I still think the NBA should start fining floppers (especially if it's blatant). As JVG said, it's really taking away from the game. Some of the flops I've seen Dirk, LBJ, and Wade pull are worse than Gasol and Fisher. At least Fisher tries to run through screens before flopping. Wade gets touched in the back on a rebound and starts flailing like a *****. Fine these players, and repeat offenders should keep getting higher fines.

And the NBA should really expand the replay system. Too many times I've seen something else happen in the replay when they are reviewing a 3 pointer or out of bounds possession. Last year, I remember when Odom got the rebound, and it went out on him, making it Celtics ball. They reviewed it because it was in the last 2 minutes, and the replay showed Rondo smacking Odom's wrist so hard, it knocked the ball out. Unfortunately, they couldn't call a foul there.

Last night, we saw two examples. Kidd's travel before the 2 point foul shot. Chalmers Back Court Violation. I don't understand why you just can't "waive" the call off if you're going to look at it in replay anyways.
--------

Honestly though, I think Mavs missed Haywood A LOT. Mahimi had like 5 fouls in 10 minutes or something. It was practically open season for the driving lane when he was in the game.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Yeah, Dirk flopped on that rebound where the foul was called against whoever was on Mahinmi. I'm glad they didn't call that one. lmao

But fining them is not a possibility imo. What IS possible, and what I'd be completely okay with is making a rule similar to Delay of Game. You get a warning, then it's a technical FT. It'd be even easier if you expanded replay to be able to look at the call after issuing the Tech FT, and then you can either give a player a foul, or administer the penalty.

The real reason replay isn't expanded though? Time. It's a live TV event, and a fairly short one compared to other sports. Making the game longer would kinda' suck. :\

Top Bottom